• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I feel Banjo fans and Steve fans definitely symbolize the differences in generations:

Banjo fans want him largely because of the nostalgia and fondness they have for him from their childhood from the N64 era.

Steve's fans want him because they have nostalgia and fondness for him from their childhood.

Basically: These things are entirely filled with bias and every argument about Banjo VS. Steve is pointless whenever it boils down to you trying to change someone's mind. Neither of them are "right" or "wrong" to want or like, it's up to the individual and what they like. I'm gonna be honest here: I don't care about Banjo all that much. He'd be neat, but I would not jump out of my seat for him. I didn't grow up with those games, and so far, Nuts and Bolts was the only one I've played, so I don't have too much of an attachment. Steve, however? I played Minecraft back in it's earlier days, and play it even to this day. So yeah, not at all a popular opinion here, but I would truly feel more excited for Steve than I would Banjo. Does that make Steve better? Heck no, it's just my own taste and wants. I have no issue with people not wanting Steve, and I know full well what the reaction here will be if it happens, but I also think it's good to remain polite when discussing this stuff. Not saying any of this is going on per se, but these types of debates tend to get heated and that genuinely makes me sad. I really wish Steve didn't cause so much strife within this community.
The funny part about this argument is I've seen multiple discussions on how Banjo would need upscaled and whether his design would still work. The answer is generally yes with some possible workarounds. The Steve argument for making it an appealing design is 'it isn't'. Then we have the Dragon Builders faction going 'we have the same potential, without the visual issues, and with a second fandom to draw from. Since the Dragon Quest protagonists are so generic, I'm hoping the Dragon Quest rep is the builder as the best compromise. They can fight AND they can have a gimmick.

D

Deleted member

Well I've already unlocked half of the characters in exact order. Gonna take a break from playing today. If there's one thing I wanna do is to take my time with the game. Plan to do Classic with all the characters then play a few fun games of Smash before trying World of Light.

This game has been fun and great as I expected.
The spirit board events are also a good idea.

I hope that we get one themed about Metroid with new ones.

The funny part about this argument is I've seen multiple discussions on how Banjo would need upscaled and whether his design would still work. The answer is generally yes with some possible workarounds. The Steve argument for making it an appealing design is 'it isn't'. Then we have the Dragon Builders faction going 'we have the same potential, without the visual issues, and with a second fandom to draw from. Since the Dragon Quest protagonists are so generic, I'm hoping the Dragon Quest rep is the builder as the best compromise. They can fight AND they can have a gimmick.
As someone who only ones a stage from Minecraft, i would argue that Steve could be animated like a character from Minecraft:Story Mode or that new dungeon game.

He can work in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They can fight AND they can have a gimmick.
Yeah but...

I don't think anyone gives a damn about DQBuilders Protag, and I don't think Nintendo's going to pick DQBuilders protag to appeal to the Minecraft or the Dragon Quest community.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I feel Banjo fans and Steve fans definitely symbolize the differences in generations:

Banjo fans want him largely because of the nostalgia and fondness they have for him from their childhood from the N64 era.

Steve's fans want him because they have nostalgia and fondness for him from their childhood.

Basically: These things are entirely filled with bias and every argument about Banjo VS. Steve is pointless whenever it boils down to you trying to change someone's mind. Neither of them are "right" or "wrong" to want or like, it's up to the individual and what they like. I'm gonna be honest here: I don't care about Banjo all that much. He'd be neat, but I would not jump out of my seat for him. I didn't grow up with those games, and so far, Nuts and Bolts was the only one I've played, so I don't have too much of an attachment. Steve, however? I played Minecraft back in it's earlier days, and play it even to this day. So yeah, not at all a popular opinion here, but I would truly feel more excited for Steve than I would Banjo. Does that make Steve better? Heck no, it's just my own taste and wants. I have no issue with people not wanting Steve, and I know full well what the reaction here will be if it happens, but I also think it's good to remain polite when discussing this stuff. Not saying any of this is going on per se, but these types of debates tend to get heated and that genuinely makes me sad. I really wish Steve didn't cause so much strife within this community.
This is why Chief is the optimal pick. :dazwa:

D

Deleted member

Yeah but...

I don't think anyone gives a damn about DQBuilders Protag, and I don't think Nintendo's going to pick DQBuilders protag to appeal to the Minecraft or the Dragon Quest community.
I feel about it the same way as you.

They will go for both Steve and Erdrick at best.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but...

That's exactly how they fail to appeal to either community.
This reminds me of the "They'll use Wonder-Bayonetta to avoid rating issues and to please both Nayonetta fams and TW101 fans!"
Yes, this is a thing that was argued for.

D

Deleted member

This reminds me of the "They'll use Wonder-Bayonetta to avoid rating issues and to please both Nayonetta fams and TW101 fans!"
Wonder-Bayonetta for new clone character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I for one definitely call out incidences of racism or sexism...but uh, I find some of the things people are calling out, especially in the manner it’s being pursued on a resetera to be a bit over the op.

But that’s just me. Granted, i’m a straight white male. I just don’t see how a png. file in a children’s game can be legitimately argued to be using racial stereotypes unless you’re actively looking for it.

Even with the Tac one, I had a real big, “Y I K E S” moment, but even then I don’t think it’s a “Everyone should return the game and campaign for it to be changed” moment.

It just seems minuscule compared to the probably several hundred other social justice issues that matter far, far more.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"We should get Yoshimitsu as our Bandai-Namco character to represent Tekken and Soul Calibur at the same time" is also kinda similar.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who I've unlocked so far.

:ultsonic::ultbowser::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultlucario::ultness::ultfalcon::ultvillager:
:ultbayonetta::ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultwiifittrainer::ultmarth::ultjigglypuff::ultzss::ultshulk:
:ultlittlemac::ultrosalina::ultsimon::ultpit::ultryu::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultrob:
:ultike::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultincineroar::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultfalco::ultmegaman:

I intend to keep doing it in that order. I don't know why I just find it more fun for some reason. Granted I kinda cheated a bit unlocking my boi first for obvious reasons why. :p

D

Deleted member

"We should get Yoshimitsu as our Bandai-Namco character to represent Tekken and Soul Calibur at the same time" is also kinda similar.
Tbh, I'd love Yoshimitsu because I just like him even if Nightmare would fill my "heavy with a heavier sword" needs better.
Tbf, any SoulCalibur character would be sick

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Spirit events:

Who would you pick for some themed events that haven’t been done yet? I would do these:

-Metroid: Sylux, Crocomire, Rundas and a Chozo.

-Sonic: Tails Doll, Mephiles, Perfect Chaos and Biolizard.

-Pac-Man: Ms.Pac-Man, Pac-Man Jr. and the fake Pac-Man from the first Pac-Man World

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tbh, I'd love Yoshimitsu because I just like him even if Nightmare would fill my "heavy with a heavier sword" needs better.
Tbf, any SoulCalibur character would be sick
You just say that because you saw that guy who stops time and has a scythe.

Anyway, to represent Soul Calibur I believe Link from the second game should suffice

D

Deleted member

Anyway, to represent Soul Calibur I believe Link from the second game should suffice
Heihachi from the same game could work too.

Maybe Spawn?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
~List of Smashboards Awards nominees~

>Best Smashboards user in 2018<
-Noipoi
-Smashing Ramen
-Osby
-Serebii

>Worst Smashboards user<
-JDCabrera
-NessIsChad
-NessIsChad
-JDCabrera

>Best Artist<
-Noipoi
-Noipoi
-Noipoi
-Noipoi

>Best guest<
-ScottTheWoz
-Serebii

>Best ****poster<
-Onereasonanddone
-ToasterBrains

>Most Inspiring Character supporter<
-Captain America
-Osby
-SGoW
-Zinnith

>Least Inspiring Character supporter<
-JDCabrera
I should definitely be in the best smashboards user list. >>

D

Deleted member

I want a sequel of the Wonderful 101 on Switch, tbh.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I nominate Delzethin Delzethin for most inspiring support. Even after Vergeben, when Incineroar was all but confirmed, he held through with his Lycanroc support. And instead of failing apart like all the other Pokemon support threads, the Lycanroc one stayed active (it still is, by the way). I highly doubt that would've happened with someone else at the helm.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Diddy is Dee Jay because apparently both of them are energetic with flips and stuff.

I'm happy Mr. Sandman and Dee Jay aren't just Little Mac because I'd like some diversity and not just have every boxing Spirit be Little Mac.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I nominate Dzelthin for most inspiring support. Even after Vergeben, when Incineroar was all but confirmed, he held through with his Lycanroc support. And instead of failing apart like all the other Pokemon support threads, the Lycanroc one stayed active (it still is, by the way). I highly doubt that would've happened with someone else at the helm.
Suggest it to Noipoi then.

Is Rayman the only spirit from his franchise?

D

Deleted member

Is there a way to delete my own posts?

I am tired of the double posts.

Noah

Smash Cadet
Diddy is Dee Jay because apparently both of them are energetic with flips and stuff.

I'm happy Mr. Sandman and Dee Jay aren't just Little Mac because I'd like some diversity and not just have every boxing Spirit be Little Mac.
Just let all spirits be little Mac so it’s a confirmed win for every battle

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I want a sequel of the Wonderful 101 on Switch, tbh.
I want both that and the first one on Switch honestly. Got the first one on Wii U just before I had to sell it so never got to play all the way through. Seems the company is interested in both those things though it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon. :/

D

Deleted member

I want both that and the first one on Switch honestly. Got the first one on Wii U just before I had to sell it so never got to play all the way through. Seems the company is interested in both those things though it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon. :/
They are busy with Bayonetta 3 at the moment, by the looks of it.

D

Deleted member

Him too but I played a bunch of SCIV when I had an X360

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
If you don't wanna nominate me, that's fine. I don't need to win, in my opinion, anyways. But it's still cool to see nominations...as long as it's not the repeat of what happened last year.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mephisto wouldn’t mind
... Fine.

>The artstyle is extremely different from the two games before (and don’t bring up Wind Waker, because the Zelda franchise was known already for the different art styles in each game).
>It looks and feels like a mobile game.
>They take too many visual keys from the MCU (Earth-199999 if you want to be more specific).
>Thanos as the main villain feels like a cash-in on the MCU, and Kang or The Beyonder would have been better picks for the main villain.
>There doesn’t seem to be alternate costumes.
>There wasn’t any reason to make it Switch-exclusive (Spider-Man was probably forced on PS4 due to the fact that Sony owns the movie rights of the character, as much as i wanted that one on more systems too).
>It seems less inspiring than the first game in terms of development (the latter had most of the voices done by fans, and payed a lot of tribute to many of the comics that most of the Marvel fans loved).
>And finally... The lack of Fantastic Four content in a game series that relies on the celebration of Marvel’s history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom