• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I see a lack of constructive criticism
So you admit the reason you don't want Steve in is purely personal and without reason simply because you hate a game SO much and any attempts to argue him out were you pretending to be reasonable so now you decided to take the sheep's clothing and just ne a ***** about it? Asking for a friend.
I TRIED to be reasonable. But every. Single. Point I brought brought up was countered. Very poorly I might add. Everything I said about why I don’t like Steve that’s “reasonable” was essentially responded to with “that’s not a problem, shut up”. There isn’t going to be some magic argument that ends the conversation and let’s one person win, I see that now. So I decided to put ALL my cards on the table instead of holding back certain points for no real reason other than trying to be “nice”.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I TRIED to be reasonable. But every. Single. Point I brought brought up was countered. Very poorly I might add. Everything I said about why I don’t like Steve that’s “reasonable” was essentially responded to with “that’s not a problem, shut up”. There isn’t going to be some magic argument that ends the conversation and let’s one person win, I see that now. So I decided to put ALL my cards on the table instead of holding back certain points for no real reason other than trying to be “nice”.
You could've just outright said that you just wanted Banjo Kazooie, instead of making a lot of pointless arguments.
I mean, your signature says it, bright as day...

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I don't want Steve, only because the sheer overlap he has with my own concept for Captain Toad:

Pickaxe? Check.
Platform wall creation? Check.
Potential use of enemies? Check.

Nothing against Steve himself, I think he'd be a blast. I just like his concept on someone more 'Nintendo'...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You could've just outright said that you just wanted Banjo Kazooie, instead of making a lot of pointless arguments.
I mean, your signature says it, bright as day...
Yes. I want Banjo and Kazooie. And in the past I was of the opinion that we could have both. But then so many other leaks were dropped and speculation shifter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"I don't like Minecraft and I don't want Steve in Smash" and a reasonable argument against Steve being playable in Smash are two different things.

We were just discussing the latter, I doubt people are too interested in the former.

D

Deleted member

Personally I don't want Steve, only because the sheer overlap he has with my own concept for Captain Toad:

Pickaxe? Check.

Nothing against Steve himself, I think he'd be a blast. I just like his concept on someone more 'Nintendo'...
That’s...

Actually an acceptable point.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don’t have anything against Steve.

But i fear a dissapointment towards the stage he would come with.

I want it to work like Mario Maker at least.
I would love to see what Sakurai could do with all the Minecraft tools at his disposal.

I mean I was personally stating why I don't want him.
I know. Sorry my statement wasn’t directed at you, just Steve talk in general and the hate that always comes with it. That’s always everyone’s biggest argument and they act like it’s objective that Steve would be bad because of personal taste.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Pickaxe? Check.

That's, um, weird? They really have nothing to do with each other except superficially similar, speculated movesets that's likely way off.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
anybody else thinks its a waste to only have 5 DLC fighters? In my head, the best future for this game is for it to be the last game in the series, but to never end. For it to be continually ported and updated until Sakurai retires and the world goes dark for three days. This way, we can keep our massive roster, and make it unique and balanced. There need be no smash 6. With the 5 fighter limit, the brightest timeline I can see going forward is doing all that for smash bros infinite for the Nintendo Switch U. We don't need to work Sakurai and his team to death to remaking the franchise every several years, but can have one game, that keeps growing. And eventually, it would essentially become a sequel, but the effort put into it would be spread out over a large period of time.
or maybe I'm just crazy. that's always a possibility

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I mean, y’all say that our arguments against Steve are nothing but “I don’t like/want him”, yet whenever someone gives an actual argument on why he wouldn’t be a good pick, you shoot it down anyway.

Not really sure what you want.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

anybody else thinks its a waste to only have 5 DLC fighters? In my head, the best future for this game is for it to be the last game in the series, but to never end. For it to be continually ported and updated until Sakurai retires and the world goes dark for three days. This way, we can keep our massive roster, and make it unique and balanced. There need be no smash 6. With the 5 fighter limit, the brightest timeline I can see going forward is doing all that for smash bros infinite for the Nintendo Switch U. We don't need to work Sakurai and his team to death to remaking the franchise every several years, but can have one game, that keeps growing. And eventually, it would essentially become a sequel, but the effort put into it would be spread out over a large period of time.
I kind of agree, tbh.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I mean, if the 5 DLC characters we're getting are very unique, and pretty great additions, I really wouldn't mind them being the only DLC...

Joker is so far, looking to be a step in the right direction

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Literally who wants to keep working on the same game forever, non-stop? Think of the people working on the game. DLC has to stop at one point.

And as much as I want Smash to keep everyone, it's not plausible. They have to renew contracts, balance every new fighters to dozens of others etc. It's way too much effort for something that's not really new and exciting.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That's, um, weird? They really have nothing to do with each other except superficially similar, speculated movesets that's likely way off.
I mean obviously. It's all speculative. This is speculation!

Captain Toad's game has as much in common with MGS as it does Minecraft, but my personal preference on land manipulation and pickaxe use would be the Captain.

If Steve got in I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm not actually against his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I mean, if the 5 DLC characters we're getting are very unique, and pretty great additions, I really wouldn't mind them being the only DLC...
As long as i have the chance or possibility alive, i will keep supporting Crash Bandicoot in Smash.

If the Fighter Pass doesn’t include him, and Sakurai hasn’t said no to more DLC, then i will keep trying until he comes out to say “Crash Bandicoot will never get in”.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Tbh, I can't wait to know who all the DLC characters are, just so we can end these endless arguments about Steve vs. Banjo and "Who's the Square Enix character;" I don't hate speculation, but these two arguments are always going to persist, and no ground will gained by either side, so it's pretty uninteresting.

I vainly hope both Steve and Banjo get in; that would be truly hilarious and amazing at the same time.

D

Deleted member

I mean
I don't see why not wanting character based purely on personal taste is a bad thing, as long as you're not presenting it as anything but. I want Bandanna Waddle Dee to **** off and die and the sudden groundswell of support for Katalina is baffling to me, but I'm not going to pretend that there's more to do with that than my own distaste for them.

D

Deleted member

Tbh, I can't wait to know who all the DLC characters are, just so we can end these endless arguments about Steve vs. Banjo and "Who's the Square Enix character;" I don't hate speculation, but these two arguments are always going to persist, and no ground will gained by either side, so it's pretty uninteresting.

I vainly hope both Steve and Banjo get in; that would be truly hilarious and amazing at the same time.
I hope that Crash manages to get in Smash at last.

D

Deleted member

"My poorly constructed arguments didn't convince people to drop the idea of Steve being in Smash so I'll tell them all to **** off, that'll teach them!"
I mean, y’all say that our arguments against Steve are nothing but “I don’t like/want him”, yet whenever someone gives an actual argument on why he wouldn’t be a good pick, you shoot it down anyway.

Not really sure what you want.
That's what's gonna happen with every argument. Just because you brought a point up that isn't "I don't want him" doesn't mean it's a valid one.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Minecraft is BORING.
wow a subjective thing i completely disagree with

ima phone my man up and tell him to seal the deal with steve then

We ARE playing the "say a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter because people disagree with me" game right

Last edited:
There is nothing I can get from Minecraft that I can’t do with a pencil and paper and not get a result that’s a billion times better.
You clearly haven't seen my Suuuuper Mega Potato Agriculturalofactory Skyscraper Castle!

Everything is automated, potatoes goes directly from the ground to the oven and from the oven to the potato vault! It's a marvel in term of cube technology!

I'm not sarcastic btw...

I'm sure my potato factory produce pixelized (baked) potatoes faster than you can draw them :p

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I prefer questionable fan art/fics to aggressive behavior I've seen in other fandoms, tbh.
You make a fair point there.

As for Steve, I’ve sorta warmed up to him surprisingly. Calling him boring is very much subjective. He’s not on my list for wanteds but if he got in then so be it. Life goes on.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Name a character..
- Not your ultimate wish.
- Originated from a game.
- E-rated.
- Not talked about much.
- No one expects to join Smash.
- Either popular or have a history in gaming.
- Adds real significance to Smash.
unknown (1).png

As far as I'm concerned, this list checks out.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Literally who wants to keep working on the same game forever, non-stop? Think of the people working on the game. DLC has to stop at one point.

And as much as I want Smash to keep everyone, it's not plausible. They have to renew contracts, balance every new fighter to dozens of others etc. It's way too much effort for something that's not really new and exciting.
you bring up good points, however, your first question about wanting to work on the same game forever is exactly what I aimed to solve with this. if every four years we got 4 DLC fighters and any relevant updates, (long after an initial settling point where the bugs are worked out regularly) then the team would only need to work on the game one out of every three years and do much less than remake the game.
However, your points about full new entries bringing hype and licencing issues are very valid, and ones I hadn't considered.

D

Deleted member

wow a subjective thing i completely disagree with

ima phone my man up and tell him to seal the deal with steve then

We ARE playing the "say a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter because people disagree with me" game right
Didn't you know? My opinions are factually the best. My favorite games are god-tier taste, and my most wanted deserves to be in more than everyone else's. :4wario2:

osby

Smash Obsessed
you bring up good points, however, your first question about wanting to work on the same game forever is exactly what I aimed to solve with this. if every four years we got 4 DLC fighters and any relevant updates, (long after an initial settling point where the bugs are worked out regularly) then the team would only need to work on the game one out of every three years and do much less than remake the game.
However, your points about full new entries bringing hype and licencing issues are very valid, and ones I hadn't considered.
Assembling a team is expensive and you can't support them by just the money you make from DLC. A lot of people stop purchasing those after a point.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77341865

Pretty much:
- Erdrick
- Monster Hunter
- 23 ****ing Monster Hunter songs

Really, the only songs that you need to represent Monster Hunter are "Proof of a Hero" and Rathalos' Theme, they're pretty much the two most universally known songs globally. I don't really think Monster Hunter is remembered for the music, rather it's gameplay itself.
Forgive me for being blunt here, but this is absolute nonsense. No matter how you feel about the series, there are multiple tracks that are very popular in the series outside of those two (hell, Rathalos' theme sometimes doesn't even pop up in certain games) and a number of them have even been remixed by fans . Even ignoring that, Monster Hunter has had concerts dedicated to just its music over in Japan and it has sold soundtracks for its games, so obviously people do care about the music if they're willing to buy the OST and/or listen to orchestrated versions of it.

The leak is likely fake for multiple reasons, but 'no one cares about the music' is certainly not one of them. You should really research your points before giving complete misinformation.

D

Deleted member

I found Kathalina’s body in my garage.

I promise that i didn’t kill her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom