• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'd argue it's a Resident Evil character.

It's the highest selling Capcom franchise, period. It's got a wealth of Nintendo exclusive history. It's a multimedia franchise that has spread far past what most videogame franchises do, with a slew of both live action and CGI movies, American comics and Japanese manga, etc. It's far more recognizable and well known to the greater public than any Smash DLC not named Cloud or Ryu.

In terms of third party franchises unrepresented, I really feel like Resident Evil is next in line. I'm biased, but I'd put Jill or Leon over Tails based on the simple fact that Sonic's at least in the game already.
What about Chris Redfield so we can have RCS vs. RCS? :ultsonic:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
its well know to the public because of those terrible movies. no resi character would be recognizable to put in the game, and i doubt the people who's favorite character is chris redfield would play smash bros
He says to someone whose favorite character is Chris Redfield.

D

Deleted member

What would be your reaction if three of the four unrevealed DLC characters are third party, but the last one is Glass Joe?
Not even mad. Glass Joe would be hype, although I would prefer King Hippo for a second Punch Out! character.

Tried some more characters today:

:ultpichu:: VERY fun, and super fast. Feels very rush-down, which is my kind of playstyle. I'll probably end up playing it a lot.
:ultzelda:: She's actually playable now, huzzah! Her Down-B is super fun, and incredibly satisfying to land when using as an edge guard. Her aerials are also super fun, and Nuetral-B is good for getting people off of you.
:ultganondorf:: Okay, yup, I like him a lot; I like him a WHOLE lot! He's so fast, so smooth and satisfying to control, and his Smash Attacks feel so powerful! I will happily put more time into this character.
:ultpeach:: Fun, but I do not know how to Peach. Probably won't pick her up.
:ulttoonlink:: I like him a lot and I want to play more of him, but I don't know if I'll play him over others. New Forward Smash is neat, as it comes out very fast and has good range.
:ultpacman:: Fun character! Lot of neat tools to play with.
:ultsnake:: Like Ganon, he just clicks with me more than I thought he would.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Curious question BTW. Who was the first character you guys unlocked?

For me it was my boi :ultkrool:
It was :ultsonic: .

Which was a deliberate effort on my part, though I probably would have unlocked Sonic first anyway (since he's what you get if you beat the Mario Classic Mode).

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'd buy joker. I don't know about Hero, but I'd have no interest in Byleth or Haruka so I wouldn't buy the fighter pass. And Cuphead is cool, but I still really feel like Smash games should be reserved for more "established" characters. There may be exceptions, but I wouldn't want a character less than 3 years old.

Rank my list:
1. Doomguy
2. Ezio
3. Lara Croft
4. Banjo Kazooie
5. Dr Robotnik
Eggman would be the next best Sonic rep.

change my mind

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
only acceptable resi character in smash bros is nemesis
Never will happen. Resident Evil's main heroes are problematic enough because of their realistic guns., the zombies and creatures are never happening, because the horror imagery is just too much.

Case in point? Look at the Fatal Frame assist trophy. Don't you think it'd be way more accurate to show a ghost in it? But there's not going to be one because it's just too spoopy for the children and would probably raise concerns at the ESRB/CERO/etc.

D

Deleted member

>tfw RE is brought up frequently in Smash speculation but noone ever suggests Wesker
1452643790072.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Resident Evil isn't that well known to the general public.

If you're going to use that logic, then Lara Croft is infinitely more of an omission than Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy.
It really is though. Anyone at my work knows what Resident Evil is-- but I had to explain to them what a Wii U was. When the Switch came out.

You're absolutely right that Lara Croft is a more iconic character than anyone in Resident Evil, but Tomb Raider lacks the Nintendo history that RE has. Not that Nintendo history is necessary to be added as a newcomer, but if we're arguing obvious omissions, I'd put Resident Evil far above Tomb Raider for that. Lara Croft would be a very cool guest character, not an overdue addition.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Never will happen. Resident Evil's main heroes are problematic enough because of their realistic guns., the zombies and creatures are never happening, because the horror imagery is just too much.

Case in point? Look at the Fatal Frame assist trophy. Don't you think it'd be way more accurate to show a ghost in it? But there's not going to be one because it's just too spoopy for the children and would probably raise concerns at the ESRB/CERO/etc.
The fatal frame assist makes more sense to not have a ghost thouh.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
It really is though. Anyone at my work knows what Resident Evil is-- but I had to explain to them what a Wii U was. When the Switch came out.

You're absolutely right that Lara Croft is a more iconic character than anyone in Resident Evil, but Tomb Raider lacks the Nintendo history that RE has
you mean like. literally re4 and two spinoff games? i think tomb raider has more games on nintendo consoles than resi does

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What about Chris Redfield so we can have RCS vs. RCS? :ultsonic:
I ****ING LOVE RCS. He's wonderful and adorable and the best.

I don't ask for Chris because I've gotten him-- specifically his RE5 version, the best version-- in three straight MvC games. And if he were added to Smash, I feel like he'd be portrayed by their new VA they cast for RE7 and RE:Vendetta. Of whom I'm not necessarily a fan.

So I put all my eggs in the Jill basket instead. Plus, her look is more iconic from the original RE/REmake than Chris's army green vest and knee pads.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I can't stand horror games, so I haven't played Resident Evil.

That said, it's pretty big. A character from RE getting in Smash wouldn't be outlandish.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Curious question BTW. Who was the first character you guys unlocked?

For me it was my boi :ultkrool:
:ultsonic: - I was trying to unlock Bayonetta or Snake first, and the only path that I knew for unlocking characters was "Mario --> Sonic --> Bayonetta".

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Resident Evil isn't that well known to the general public?

Uhhhhhhh.....

The games translated into the (for some reason) most successful video game move adaptions.

The brand is DEFINITELY recognized by the general audience at a mass level at least.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
gun characters are just as boring as sword characters tbh

only thing chris could do is summon a boulder to punch

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't stand horror games, so I haven't played Resident Evil.

That said, it's pretty big. A character from RE getting in Smash wouldn't be outlandish.
I'd recommend Resident Evil 4, at least. I'm not a fan of horror in general (the only horror games that I've played are Resident Evil 4, RE5, and Eternal Darkness, and most of the horror movies that I've seen are ones that have been parodied a million times, or are so old that they've become cliche), but RE4 is more action-based, and it's an extremely good game.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Mike Tyson should be the second Punch Out rep
As long as tattooed-face Mike Tyson is an alt, I’m in!
only acceptable resi character in smash bros is nemesis
I think Nemesis might be tricky because he already has his place in MvC. My dream is that we get a protagonist and a monster antagonist as reps and the only monster I could see making it in currently is mutated Birkin. Preferably his 3rd mutation with the four arms.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
gun characters are just as boring as sword characters tbh

only thing chris could do is summon a boulder to punch
If it means we get Rock Smash back I'm all for it.

D

Deleted member

One of these, is not like the other...
It's definitely Waluigi... his purple color scheme stands out too much
Seriously though, if Parappa got in, I'd be a surprised, yet happy fellow,,,
You mean it's not the hentai vampire girl?

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Did someone just say Resident Evil, literally the most famous horror video game IP of all time with sales that rival ZELDA, one of Nintendo's big three franchises isn't very well known?
The series is popular.

Compared to Tails and Lara Croft as individuals, none of the RE characters are really up there.
UK Resident(ha) here. Can confirm RE is insanely popular here too.
I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom