• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Only character that was added to promote FE was Corrin and that was development team's idea.

And yeah, like how chairs was hinting at Skull Kid.
They were over excess before Corrin.
Well, being a Goemon fan is tough.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Smash has had the opposite intent of me being interested in FE.

Though it has only strengthen my love for DK and Pokémon.

Also I have never really sat down with Metroid but :ultdarksamus::ultridley: helps.

:ultryu::ultken: They should hire Sora Limited to make some character models because Capcom is fat and drunk.

Still no :ultpiranha: code though :(

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
you missed my point, dude

the point isn't the difficulty, its that letting you play through the game entirely with your favorite monsters is the entire appeal of mons games, and pokemon does it very well. it not being difficult is a problem, yeah, but there's a reason for it. you don't seem to get that some people like monster collecting games because they like the monsters. its not the difficult to grasp.

i like komasan because he is cute and funny, so that's why i put him on my team. i played through almost the entirety of blasters as whisper because i like whisper. if i had gotten to a point where i could catch trubbish in gen 5, i would keep him on my team because he is a trash monster. i don't care if the death star slime is good, i want to put it on my team because it is a death star slime and that's awesome

not everything is about pure gameplay, pokemon aren't just numbers, they're thought out designs that go through hundreds of revisions and touch a lot of people's hearts. difficulty doesn't matter when these kind of games are primarily about the experience. some pokemon are objectively worse than others, so what? it doesn't mean they don't have a purpose in the game

if you wish the games were more difficult and that more pokemon were useful gameplay wise, that's your prerogative, but a lot of people don't. i dislike the pokemon games entirely, but i still love the pokemon. i can enjoy that from afar, without having to touch the objectively very poorly designed and boring games

so basically we should just shut up about this and talk about our favorite mons from whatever mons games they like
Favorite Pokémon? Gengar and Mewtwo. Favorite Pokémon game? Pokkén Tournament.

I hate turn based RPGs. I want to wail in my oponant so fast and so hard that they don’t even have an opportunity to attack back. Why would I want to give them a turn? They just make battles such a long event and when there are thousands of them... it just doesn’t sound like fun.

Plus, Pokémon are animals. Why would an animal wait their turn in a fight? Even with trained animals in real animal fights (dogs, chickens) they both just go at each other. Imagine a real time Pokémon battle game where you have no direct control over your mon and you just shout out commands, that they do obey, but there are no turns. You enemy is constantly coming at you and you need to make sure you give your mom the appropriate commands.

Or we can finally give Mewtwo his own M-Rated God of War-Style spin-off.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash has had the opposite intent of me being interested in FE

Though it has only strengthen my love for DK and Pokémon.

Also I have never really sat down with Metroid but :ultdarksamus::ultridley: helps.

Still no :ultpiranha: code though :(
You should’ve gotten a code weeks ago, and get interested in FE + Metroid (Metroid especially)

D

Deleted member

i get the want to have the games be harder without having to do something stupid like a nuzlocke

like even just a level increase for all trainers would be fine
I'd like that too, but TBH people who want this are an extremely vocal minority, especially the competitive crowd. 90% of Pokemon's player base are small children, who are used to easy games because that's how the market is nowadays for kids' games.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on nuzlockes. I feel they add great fun to the game, and bring in actual challenge. They make for some very fun and tense situations, especially if you play with harder rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
you missed my point, dude

the point isn't the difficulty, its that letting you play through the game entirely with your favorite monsters is the entire appeal of mons games, and pokemon does it very well. it not being difficult is a problem, yeah, but there's a reason for it. you don't seem to get that some people like monster collecting games because they like the monsters. its not the difficult to grasp.

i like komasan because he is cute and funny, so that's why i put him on my team. i played through almost the entirety of blasters as whisper because i like whisper. if i had gotten to a point where i could catch trubbish in gen 5, i would keep him on my team because he is a trash monster. i don't care if the death star slime is good, i want to put it on my team because it is a death star slime and that's awesome

not everything is about pure gameplay, pokemon aren't just numbers, they're thought out designs that go through hundreds of revisions and touch a lot of people's hearts. difficulty doesn't matter when these kind of games are primarily about the experience. some pokemon are objectively worse than others, so what? it doesn't mean they don't have a purpose in the game

if you wish the games were more difficult and that more pokemon were useful gameplay wise, that's your prerogative, but a lot of people don't. i dislike the pokemon games entirely, but i still love the pokemon. i can enjoy that from afar, without having to touch the objectively very poorly designed and boring games

so basically we should just shut up about this and talk about our favorite mons from whatever mons games they like
What point? My "being rude" about Garbodor. Not like saying it any nicer makes it any less true.

Not really because the fact your favorites can accomplish the same feat that a worse mon can solo through hurts the value of beating the story. Except I kinda do since that's literally the reason I play monster collectors at all. I just happen to like investing in the rare and strong stuff and being rewarded for being smarter by making stronger teams. It's not as fulfilling in Pokemon cuz of how easy it is while other games make it actually challenging.

Komasan has actually powerful forms like Komane, Komasan B and Komasan S. Whisper is actually very powerful due to his Defense debuffs and passive crit rate boost. It's not really a counterargument when you're using stuff that's actually good. Try soloing Kat Kraydel with Steppa or something.

They kinda are cuz that's just how an RPG is in the end, simulations of numbers. Giving the set of numbers a personality doesn't change that. You're right. They have the purpose of taking up space like filler trash while at least YKW lets you put low tiers to use via Soul Gems.

I like some of the Pokemon and hate the games too dude. Doesn't really change the fact the games are easy and so many Pokemon suck.

Then do that. Nobody's forcing you to keep replying to me and argue with me.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Only character that was added to promote FE was Corrin and that was development team's idea.

And yeah, like how chairs was hinting at Skull Kid.
Looking back the chairs were probably hinting at Galeem and Dharkon.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I just realized good Mortal Kombat female designs are very few.

Sonya is awful and has never been good.

Melina is now great.

Wait no Frost is good.

Last edited:

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
The story mode is not designed around the competitive mindset though, and TBH Pokemon's main demographic is even younger than that, especially nowadays.

Pokemon games were never hard. To expect it to be as in-depth or difficult as say, a SMT or Persona game is a little much.
Regardless of what it's designed around and its demographic, it doesn't change the fact so many monsters are terrible.

Pretty much what I've been saying, so yeah. It's honestly baby's first RPG with how little thought you need to put into it to win but all these other guys in this thread are trying to argue a game where you can solo it with any low tier is actually hard. At least those games would beat you to a pulp for attempting the same shtick Pokemon LETS you get away with since you're certainly not about to solo SMT4A with Food Katakirauwa like I've been saying.

I'd like that too, but TBH people who want this are an extremely vocal minority, especially the competitive crowd. 90% of Pokemon's player base are small children, who are used to easy games because that's how the market is nowadays for kids' games.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on nuzlockes. I feel they add great fun to the game, and bring in actual challenge. They make for some very fun and tense situations, especially if you play with harder rules.
Which is honestly why I have more reason to praise Yo-Kai Watch. That game is for young kids too but it STILL gets super difficult and brutal down the line and makes a competitive format easy for kids to understand.

D

Deleted member

Don't forget my boi :ultroy:

That said, I'm glad that Corrin was at least sorta his own thing compared to 70% of the FE reps.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The next Melee Yoshi vs. Marth type exchange.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Pakky

Smash Hero
The next Melee Yoshi vs. Marth type exchange.

I love how :ultkrool: can't grab anyone but :ultmario: can grab me by a scale from the edge of the stage.

wtf man :(

Also look at all the little babies in smash!

tee hee

:ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::squirtle:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of all the hot videogame-related takes I ever heard, "liking a Pokemon for their design is shallow and this is why Yokai Watch is better" has gotta be the worst of them all.
they should put a nuzlocke mode in smash
Smashdown

Pakky

Smash Hero
Of all the hot videogame-related takes I ever heard, "liking a Pokemon for their design is shallow and this is why Yokai Watch is better" has gotta be the worst of them all.

Smashdown
Yokai Watch ain't bad but it has the "let's make 100 variants of this guy" syndrome. There have to be like 2 billion versions of that cat.

Monster Rancher and Digimon have this problem as well.

Pokémon to a much lesser degree which is funny.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yokai Watch is just not my thing, TBH. I really do not care for the artstyle and I can be really picky with aesthetics. Most importantly, though, the gameplay I saw from Directs just never interested me. If I want some monster catching games, I have Pokemon for wholesome good times, and Persona for when I want a challenge and in-depth storytelling.

I heard Sakurai talked about Persona 5 earlier. Anyone have a link to that?

Pakky

Smash Hero
*starts crying*
Blessed post

Yokai Watch is just not my thing, TBH. I really do not care for the artstyle and I can be really picky with aesthetics. Most importantly, though, the gameplay I saw from Directs just never interested me. If I want some monster catching games, I have Pokemon for wholesome good times, and Persona for when I want a challenge and in-depth storytelling.

I like the game, and the new one looks dope.

However the monster designs are a HUGE gamble. Mostly because a lot of them are literally well yokai from myth with little creative spin. Some of these turn out cool like the cat and its 600 brothers. But then you get guys like Baku who is just a Tapir...

The American ones are kinda funny there's steak king one.
1545927290850.png

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion

i mostly meant that you shouldn't have to assign yourself ways to make the game harder, that should be in the game itself. nuzlocke runs exist to basically make up for something the game itself lacks, which is... a problem?

osby

Smash Obsessed
i mostly meant that you shouldn't have to assign yourself ways to make the game harder, that should be in the game itself. nuzlocke runs exist to basically make up for something the game itself lacks, which is... a problem?
Don't know if I'd call it a problem. If Pokemon had any attempt to be difficult, sure.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't necessarily think it's a problem.

I will however say it'd be pretty badass if they included some kind of nuzlocke mode in Gen 8.

D

Deleted member

Nah, I get you. A hard mode toggle would be nice, especially since it's not like it would be new: Black 2 had one.

Self-imposed challenges don't really bug me too much, though. It's basically the "making a game within the game" mindset, which I've always loved and think is a sign of good game design when the player base can find new ways to play that the devs hadn't even thought of. It shows flexibility and variety in a game, IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The challenge a Nuzlocke adds isn't something that can be replicated by upping the difficulty. Self-imposed challenges in any game aren't a sign of bad game design by any means and Nuzlockes would continue to be played even if Pokemon was much harder by default because it's not just about the difficulty.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
also i just want to note that literally almost all the reason i love yokai watch is because of the designs and personalities of the yokai rather than any gameplay reasons

like slimamander was already one of my favorite yokai before i found out he was really good in yw2. i like him because he's a big gross three headed slime salamander with one eye, there isn't much else to say about it other than i like it. the same goes for like all my other favorite yokai

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Apparently Mango is using Pit (according to a Nairo stream I’m watching)...Imma not trust it

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i could legitimately make a list of my favorite yokai of each type from each game and i can guarantee you that almost none of the designs would be similar

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Persona is a monster collector JRPG? I didn't know that.

Granted, I'm so not big on JRPGs. Pokemon is about the limit of what I can handle, and those are interesting me less and less as time goes on. Let's Go kept me occupied until release on sheer force of nostalgia alone, but I didn't even end up going for Gen 7 since it didn't speak to me. I think the two or three gens before that I'd stopped before I even got to the elite four.

I guess I don't have the right mindset for those. I usually only catch a couple of mons and have one major team. I really end up going the whole Ash Ketchum "These are my friends and I'll only stick to them!" idea because I feel bad using a bunch of mons and then hiding them for all eternity in the box.

I guess that's why I favor my RPGs where I'm going around a huge open world myself, and if I decide to take a partner, I do so for story reasons. I hope the next Elder Scrolls takes a leaf out of Fallout's book and makes fewer but more in depth companions. And Beth needs to hurry up and get something to cover up for that disatrous online game. Another point why people should remember the not everyone wants a multiplayer experience.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom