• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There are better ways to spend your Christmas, anyway. *insert Persona 5 spoiler joke here*
You mean make your girlfriend depressed before you go to jail? Sounds good to me.

My family is putting up our Christmas tree on Saturday. I guess I'll try to take a picture if KMDP KMDP thinks he can show me up by posting his.

No face reveal though. You guys got a screaming voice reveal (that's not near my normal tone) and that's enough for the year. Maybe sometime in 2019.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We’ll all wake up one day being unable to do the things we could do in the past and then start smiting people

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It doesn't. People are just using the composer as an excuse to hate on a Dragon Quest character potentially getting in over another Squeenix rep. How do these people even know for sure that Sugiyama is the only one that has controversial opinions?
To be fair, some people legitimately have problems with Sugimiya's war crime denial, and others are actually uncomfortable with his stance towards LGBTQ people.

That being said, I do agree that some people are over-exaggerating the scenario for the sake of discrediting Dragon Quest. For all we know all of the Square Enix characters have someone as bigoted and horrible as Sugimiya behind their creation, but those people just haven't spoken out about it like Sugimiya.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You mean make your girlfriend depressed before you go to jail? Sounds good to me.

No face reveal though. You guys got a voice reveal and that's enough for the year. Maybe sometime in 2019.
Aw, that's a good idea. If we get a direct announced I might record a short reaction. That way you can hear my voice.

Well not my real voice, but my Noipoi voice. You don't wanna hear my real voice.

well they aint wrong. Jesus wasnt born on christmas
True, but I want presents dammit!

Nah, i've never really felt left out of Christmas. It sounds really hectic for you guys.

Besides, i'm sure i'll get invited to a Christmas party one day.

Double K

Smash Lord
It doesn't. People are just using the composer as an excuse to hate on a Dragon Quest character potentially getting in over another Squeenix rep. How do these people even know for sure that Sugiyama is the only one that has controversial opinions?
I love Dragon Quest. Hating on Sugiyama is fun.

Also its not 'controversial opinions.' He doesn't want significant amount of people to exist and would, if given the chance, deny them the rights to live. Beyond that, he ealso actively maks **** harder for non-Japanese fans of Dragon Quest

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think the reason they gave me was that it's a lie because Jesus was actually born in September, and we shouldn't celebrate lies.
See now when people like to be smartasses and go Dec 25 is just a pagan celebration etc. they usually say Jesus was born in March.

To which I say who cares. Dec 25 is just when we celebrate it.

See also: Countries who celebrate the Queen's Birthday, which isn't on her birthday. Who'd willingly deny a day off?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Aw, that's a good idea. If we get a direct announced I might record a short reaction. That way you can hear my voice.

Well not my real voice, but my Noipoi voice. You don't wanna hear my real voice.
Nah I wanna hear your real voice. No need to put up a facade here lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To be fair, some people legitimately have problems with Sugimiya's war crime denial, and others are actually uncomfortable with his stance towards LGBTQ people.

That being said, I do agree that some people are over-exaggerating the scenario for the sake of discrediting Dragon Quest. For all we know all of the Square Enix characters have someone as bigoted and horrible as Sugimiya behind their creation, but those people just haven't spoken out about it like Sugimiya.
well All Im sayin it the character isnt the composer so dont bring the composer into the topic about the character. I understand hes bad, but he aint Erdrick. lol And dont let the composer make everyone elses hard work null

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
See now when people like to be smartasses and go Dec 25 is just a pagan celebration etc. they usually say Jesus was born in March.

To which I say who cares. Dec 25 is just when we celebrate it.

See also: Countries who celebrate the Queen's Birthday, which isn't on her birthday. Who'd willingly deny a day off?
I'm pretty sure it was October, not March or September

Also can't speak of other countris, but we celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday in May.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think the reason they gave me was that it's a lie because Jesus was actually born in September, and we shouldn't celebrate lies.
...Sure.

No offense, but your parents sound like the worst kind of Atheists. :laugh:
My family is putting up our Christmas tree on Saturday. I guess I'll try to take a picture if @KMDP thinks he can show me up by posting his.
Mwahahahaha...

My mum was talking to one of her work colleagues, who said (paraphrased): "You haven't put up your decorations yet? What a shame, your window always looks so nice."

Bionichute

Smash Champion
well All Im sayin it the character isnt the composer so dont bring the composer into the topic about the character. I understand hes bad, but he aint Erdrick. lol
the composer is going to prevent any remixes or such, and if we're really unlikely, might force in terrible midi versions of the songs instead of orchestral stuff. he is directly a problem to us and also just happens to be an absolute monster of a human being

Noipoi

Howdy!
...Sure.

No offense, but your parents sound like the worst kind of Atheists.:laugh:
They ain't Atheists.

I'll stop there, though. I don't wanna air my laundry on the internet.

I don't even know if you want to hear what I sound like...

:yoshi:
Yoshiii~

Nah I wanna hear your real voice. No need to put up a facade here lol.
I'll warn you now. I have a slight "Joisey" accent. Every once in awhile it's like I just stepped out of The Jersey Shore.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
But what I'm trying to say is that how do you know Sugiyama is the only one who holds those views? It's entirely possible that at least one person who has worked on other games like Smash Ultimate is xenophobic as well.
That's completely besides the point. The issue is that Sugiyama actively goes out and wags his **** around about it on national television about them.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What I'm trying to say is that how do you know Sugiyama is the only one who holds those views? It's entirely possible that at least one person who has worked on other games like Smash Ultimate is xenophobic as well. Hating on and disregarding an entire franchise just because of one person's views is stupid.
unless you are like hideki and flaunt it on twitter pf

Bionichute

Smash Champion
What I'm trying to say is that how do you know Sugiyama is the only one who holds those views? It's entirely possible that at least one person who has worked on other games like Smash Ultimate is xenophobic as well. Hating on and disregarding an entire character or franchise just because of one person's views is stupid.
yes, this is true

why are you two arguing

Double K

Smash Lord
So since the game got reworked to have a different MC, how'd you guys feel about Gran and Djeeta for Smash?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
**** all y'all. I love echoes and am heartbroken, HEARTBROKEN, that we're not getting any as DLC.
RIP my Funky Kong echo idea for DK.

---

As for the current topic, I've been trying to get other people into Dragon Quest for a long time. It's a charming, subtly brilliant series that never truly got it's time to shine in the West, so I always try to recommend some of my favorites when I detect that they may be in the mood for something that Dragon Quest can provide.

However, Sugiyama has always been an obstacle. I genuinely like his music, especially for DQ5 (my current fave), but I also hate his guts. He's a war crime denier, among other sh*tty things. That said, for a while, this unfortunate detail was pretty underground and only people REALLY in the know about the creators knew about it. Most DQ fans in the West hate this and see it as a black mark in what is otherwise a beloved series.

Then, sometime this year, as DQ11 was being promoted as hard as possible by Square Enix, going through all the stops to make sure the West saw what Dragon Quest was and why they might like it, even doing things like adding voice acting, a first person mode, and a pre order bonus of the outfit the DQ8 protagonist wore since most western fans played that game cuz of the Final Fantasy 12 demo disc included with it,

a video started circulating on social media of Sugiyama hosting a talk show brought on an anti-LGBT politician to speak about how LGBT people shouldn't be taught about LGBT things in Japanese schools, and Sugiyama doesn't challenge her and let her speak her vile opinions freely.

People on the West, rightfully, condemned the video and Sugiyama, and logically and understandably many of them swore off the series and the new upcoming game. I 100% don't blame them.

Sugiyama f*cks it all up yet again. Uggggghhhhh

DQ11 seems to be doing okay on Steam and PS4, and who knows how the Switch port will do. All I know is that I can't wait for Sugiyama to retire or die so he can't taint this series I love anymore. At least one of the main party members, Sylvando, more or less stands against everything Sugiyama does and is very likely gay or bi, yet is considered one of the coolest and best characters both in and out of universe. So the rest of DQ seems very much against the unfortunate composer it's currently saddled with.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Man I wish that more characters fought bosses who weren't the hands at the end of their classic runs.

Like... add some variety. Please. The themes can work with the bosses.

Like, Dedede fights kings and royalty. Why not have him fight Giga Bowser or Ganon? They are still kings.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So since the game got reworked to have a different MC, how'd you guys feel about Gran and Djeeta for Smash?

They look pretty different, though. I don't know if Robin/Corrin method would work with them.

has anyone in the history of ever used pac-man's dtilt and crouch walk in an actual fight
I wouldn't know, only move I use as PAC-MAN is Fire Hydrant while airborne.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Man I wish that more characters fought bosses who weren't the hands at the end of their classic runs.

Like... add some variety. Please. The themes can work with the bosses.

Like, Dedede fights kings and royalty. Why not have him fight Giga Bowser or Ganon? They are still kings.
it feels like a very "oh we didn't add in a way to refight bosses" kind of last minute decision

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm so excited for the holidays. I hope I get to play Smash Ultimate soon. I'm planning on doing Classic mode first and then World of Light after already unlocking every character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom