• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
While it's good and all to have a DQ rep. Now that I think about it I think it's a bit excessive, IF and only if the purpose is to promote DQ11.
I mean, who's NOT aware of DQ11 by now. If no one is then they're most probably not that interested in the game to begin with.. (ah, I know what you'll say, this is where Smash comes in).. maybe. It's just a thought.

Double K

Smash Lord
While it's good and all to have a DQ rep. Now that I think about it I think it's a bit excessive, IF and only if the purpose is to promote DQ11.
I mean, who's NOT aware of DQ11 by now. If no one is then they're most probably not that interested in the game to begin with.. (ah, I know what you'll say, this is where Smash comes in).. maybe. It's just a thought.
DQ11 is getting a Switch release in 2019

Noipoi

Howdy!
Nobody knew what the heck a Ness or a Captain Falcon was before Smash 64, so I think Erdrick will do just fine. Heck, it'll introduce curious people to Dragon Quest.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
as much as people don't really like the idea of slime, putting slime in instead of erdrick would honestly be a smarter move since, even in the west, everyone knows what the dragon quest slime is

erdrick's just like, a guy
Yeah, but Slime is... Slime. Just a blue blob with a face.

Just because we got Piranha Plant doesn't mean I want a full 33% of DLC to be ****ing weirdo characters.

Double K

Smash Lord

Just because we got Piranha Plant doesn't mean I want a full 33% of DLC to be ****ing weirdo characters.
Admittedly, Slime does actually have a pretty varied moveset, even if you stick with the vanilla one, thanks to Rocket Slime.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Nobody knew what the heck a Ness or a Captain Falcon was before Smash 64, so I think Erdrick will do just fine. Heck, it'll introduce curious people to Dragon Quest.
yeah obviously its a good thing to have him in the game but i just think that erdrick is too bland a character in a way? he's only really get over in japan, that's not even a question... but we can only experience the reaction to a character in our small circle outside japan. another sword guy in armor might rub some people the wrong way, basically

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, tbh, the fanbase got more hostile towards stuff they are not familiar with over the time.

Double K

Smash Lord
To be fair, isn't Slime the mascot of the series? Sorta like Pikachu.
It's the mascot of the series like Chocobo is for Final Fantasy.

If you want a representative, it's not what you'd pick if you can have only one

Shroob

Sup?
People sitting here saying "He'll be too obscure!"

I'm sitting here just waiting to see his moveset, the part that actually matters.

While I consider Smash a pseudo gaming hall of fame, I'm also not ignorant to the fact that "Holy **** this character select screen is actually clickable and these characters have movesets"

Double K

Smash Lord
yeah obviously its a good thing to have him in the game but i just think that erdrick is too bland a character in a way? he's only really get over in japan, that's not even a question... but we can only experience the reaction to a character in our small circle outside japan. another sword guy in armor might rub some people the wrong way, basically
Okay, but consider this; it's Goku

Similarly to Corrin or Cloud as well, he actually has enough stuff going for him in terms of his moveset to make him standout far more than the Fire Emblem cast. Gigaslash, ZAP, Be Dragon, Kazing, etc.

You're right.

A full 77% of the dlc should be weirdo characters!

I DEMAND HATSUNE MIKU AND A TAMOGOTCHI!
Oi oi, Tamagotchi you say?

That **** sounds hella rad!

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
People sitting here saying "He'll be too obscure!"

I'm sitting here just waiting to see his moveset, the part that actually matters.

While I consider Smash a pseudo gaming hall of fame, I'm also not ignorant to the fact that "Holy **** this character select screen is actually clickable and these characters have movesets"
Yeah, I’m kinda curious to see what Eldrick’s moveset would be like and what they’d contribute to the game.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Okay, but consider this; it's Goku

Similarly to Corrin or Cloud as well, he actually has enough stuff going for him in terms of his moveset to make him standout far more than the Fire Emblem cast. Gigaslash, ZAP, Be Dragon, Kazing, etc.
again, not saying that isn't true, i know he would have a far more interesting moveset (the leak is suggesting that he has a special that summons a slime, which is great), but some people who aren't into the series would probably look at him superficially and see another sword character

osby

Smash Obsessed
You're right.

A full 77% of the dlc should be weirdo characters!

I DEMAND HATSUNE MIKU AND A TAMOGOTCHI!
Hatsune Miku? But we already have a Persona rep.

again, not saying that isn't true, i know he would have a far more interesting moveset (the leak is suggesting that he has a special that summons a slime, which is great), but some people who aren't into the series would probably look at him superficially and see another sword character
...so what? Some people are going to complain about any sword character, that's their problem.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's the mascot of the series like Chocobo is for Final Fantasy.

If you want a representative, it's not what you'd pick if you can have only one
Unless it's a Mario sports title.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
DQ11 is getting a Switch release in 2019
I know, thanks. Wasn't my point though.
Will Erdrick be the one however? I mean he's the hero of III not 11. His moves got to be very different (presenting of the series) and maybe include a Slime to promote the series properly, as new fans ain't going to find Erdrick (young Gohan) anywhere in 11.

Just because we got Piranha Plant doesn't mean I want a full 33% of DLC to be weirdo characters.
I'm serious, if it was for me, that would be my Smash gate.. the character has to be weird enough to enter. Any normal looking or behaving one will not be allowed. I guess you can tell.. I'm very fine with Slime being the DQ rep.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord
unless you're pokemon
Pokemon Trainer is in and wouldn't have worked in Smash 64 or melee and it was an awful idea in Brawl

aside from Incineroar, Jiggs and Pichu, they're all representative of their generation and only reason I say that of Incineroar is because the posterchild for Gen 7 was Nebby/Rowlet

Double K

Smash Lord
Come on guys, Erdick's moveset would OBVIOUSLY be consisting of denying war crimes and saying "Only straight Japanese people are allowed to exist"
Western Audience, pounding on Sugiyama's chest with a stake: WHY WON'T YOU DIE

sugiyama: Racism machines, son! They flare up in response to opening borders

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:ultroy: i fail to see the problem :ultcorrin:

Come on guys, Erdick's moveset would OBVIOUSLY be consisting of denying war crimes and saying "Only straight Japanese people are allowed to exist"
Yikes.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel like this is an obscure reference to the Dragon Quest Composer who is literally older than dirt and who's opinion shouldn't and doesn't matter but is still allowed to express his bigotry freely on Japanese television because Dragon Quest is such a big deal over there.

But maybe that's just me.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Which this ain't.

I think Cloud sets the precedent here that Protagonist trumps Mascot for 3rd party DLC. And Joker hammers it in.
I assume Cloud being the most popular FF choice also included him going against characters like Chocobo and Moogle.

If Slime were more popular than Erdrick, I could see it being picked. Not saying it is more popular. It's easily more recognisable but that doesn't translate into people wanting it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wow, it's almost like Smash is used to promote games... nah, it can be, otherwise they would put Mario and Pikachu together with a ton of lesser known characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like this is an obscure reference to the Dragon Quest Composer who is literally older than dirt and who's opinion shouldn't and doesn't matter but is still allowed to express his bigotry freely on Japanese television because Dragon Quest is such a big deal over there.

But maybe that's just me.
NSG my dude calling that an obscure reference is like calling the Metal Gear franchise subtle

Double K

Smash Lord
I assume Cloud being the most popular FF choice also included him going against characters like Chocobo and Moogle.

If Slime were more popular than Erdrick, I could see it being picked. Not saying it is more popular. It's easily more recognisable but that doesn't translate into people wanting it.
Slime is more popular than Erdrick due to being a mascot, but Cloud was picked for being-- as much as I dislike it, the definitive image of Final Fantasy. Similarly, Erdrick is that for Dragon Quest (and JRPGs)

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy Your signature is like a theater.. I got lost there for a while XD
I will definitely take that as a compliment. Thanks, my dude!
Which this ain't.

I think Cloud sets the precedent here that Protagonist trumps Mascot for 3rd party DLC. And Joker hammers it in.
Remember the days that everyone on Smashboards thought the only FF character that would ever get in ever was a Chocobo or Black Mage? Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom