• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean Spirits clearly mean jack **** for playable fighters when you have multiple fighters pictures and artwork in Spirits beyond their Fighter Spirit.

For all we know they could simply not even come with a Fighter Spirit for unlocking once you complete classic mode as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My question is: is promotion a bad thing? All third party companies want to promote their IPs and brand, and what better way to do so than Smash? I don't think it's bad to want to do that, especially if your game or series has other merits to base it's inclusion off of.
Being a promotional character isn't inherently bad if their reasons for inclusion aren't primarily "Please buy my unreleased game."

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yet :ultchrom: is featured in Robin's Final Smash and Toon Link on the Spirit Stage. Latter being replaced by Alfonzo when using Toon Link on that stage. Why couldn't they do that with Viridi?
Because every member of the Smash Bros roster outside of :ultpit::ultpalutena: and by default :ultdarkpit: absolutely ****ing hates her smug yet godly ***

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Elsewise Sakurai didn't even pick the Spirits himself and they were so unimportant that he let another company handle this task.

You're asking them to hand pick and cherry pick thousands of pngs in case they might want to us one later.

That simply is so unrealistic, it's not even funny.
actually thinking on it, you're saying this like the two teams didn't have any communication at all. the main dev team could have literally just said "don't use characters x y and z" and the spirits team would be like "sure"

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This isn’t my point at all, why would he say new to the series if he could’ve just simply said they will be new fighters? Don’t give me that excuse that Reggie just said what he said in the heat of the moment, he crafts his words very carefully.
It's much more exciting and easier to say "These are gonna be characters who are new to the series" rather than "These are characters who've never been playable in the series before"

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah that wouldn't really be that hard to do. Im not really sure why some try to act like some things like making new art or changing a name slightly are some herculean impossible task. That reminds me how the Grinch leak was impossible to be fake because it was just impossible to have faked it. We need to stop treating simple development things like they are superhuman feats, especially when talking about professional developers like those at Nintendo.
Not getting into whether spirits mean anything in regards to character inclusions or not but "it's like super duper hard to do guys" is a pretty bad argument.
Changing a name or value in code is literally the easiest thing, at least in Java (I don't really know how to code, I just remember trying out at Minecraft modding stuffs). Simply backspace and type.

If the text is actually an image, then all they have to do is bring up their special font and make a new image, which wouldn't take 5 minutes. People acting like it'd be too much work are kidding themselves.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
actually thinking on it, you're saying this like the two teams didn't have any communication at all. the main dev team could have literally just said "don't use characters x y and z" and the spirits team would be like "sure"
Seeing as DLC has been in planning up to this November it's reasonable as to why that didn't happen

Bionichute

Smash Champion
My question is: is promotion a bad thing? All third party companies want to promote their IPs and brand, and what better way to do so than Smash? I don't think it's bad to want to do that, especially if your game or series has other merits to base it's inclusion off of.
promotional characters are only okay if its from a series i like, if i don't like the series then its bad

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You're still making a task that was done for simplification into something that is no longer simple.

And also not sounding bright when you think about the multiple images of fighters there are already in Spirits.

This Spirits thing is nothing more than mass overthinking.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
All 3 of those have pretty obvious choices for who they’d add though.

Scorpion, Heihachi and Nightmare.
Ok I know he doesn’t have a chance in hell, but I’d love if they added Yoshimitsu as a way to represent both Tekken and Soul Caliber. I know he’s not the main character of either series, but he’s reoccurring enough in both to atleast be notable.
BAE5E8FA-5CC0-4777-A0D8-EB3EFAA42E1D.jpeg

87AFCB55-D6A4-4200-8835-71571B260C53.png

He’s a wacky cyborg samurai ninja that teleports, spits out poison, can heal himself or leach life from opponents, and can use his swords to fly around like a helicopter or jump around on them like a pogo stick. He’s such a blast to play I’d love to see how his erratic play style would work in a platform fighter.

I know Yoshimitsu is not even close to likely, but let me gush for this badass for a moment.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai is Shulk and thus knew exactly what characters Nintendo would choose for the Fighter Pass DLC that likely didn't even begin planning till this very year.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Here's a specific thing that COULD HAVE, not necessarily likely, occurred for Geno.

They got Geno as part of the Mii Costume deal for a Spirit.
Nintendo, literally 3 ****ing years later, asked Squenix if they could have him for a playable character.

That's just a little hopeful concept of mine.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
It's much more exciting and easier to say "These are gonna be characters who are new to the series" rather than "These are characters who've never been playable in the series before"
? That’s not even what I’m arguing at all, of course they aren’t going to be characters that are playable from past games... isn’t that the point of dlc? Anyway, all I’m trying to say is new to the series sounds like he’s saying that they are NEW TO THE SERIES.

Shroob

Sup?
Hottake.

I don't like Scorpion and Sub Zero, but I love Mortal Kombat.

I dunno, Scorpion and Sub-Zero have always felt hella plain while all the other technicolor Ninjas actually evolved into other, cool and interesting things like Reptile and Smoke.

Scorpion and Sub-Z are just boring to me, I'd rather have someone like Raiden, though I know that's impossible.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You're still making a task that was done for simplification into something that is no longer simple.

And also not sounding bright when you think about the multiple images of fighters there are already in Spirits.

This Spirits thing is nothing more than mass overthinking.
Pit is disconfirmed and Chrom probably is too.

? That’s not even what I’m arguing at all, of course they aren’t going to be characters that are playable from past games... isn’t that the point of dlc? Anyway, all I’m trying to say is new to the series sounds like he’s saying that they are NEW TO THE SERIES.
I really wonder why people feel the need to shove disappointment in the face of characters' fans like this.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On their own, I'd scoff at the idea of spirits deconfirming characters. The idea that a character can't be playable because they already have an image file with an exp. bar slapped onto it is laughable to me.

But with Reggie's comments and our first fighters pass character being a complete curveball pick like Joker, I honestly have a hard time seeing any existing spirit getting into Smash. I still think it's possible but also very unlikely.

Using "this character doesn't have a spirit so they must be in" is still a bad argument though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I think too many people are caught up on the fact that certain Nintendo characters are spirits rather than the fact that almost all of the characters that have spirits present still have their own previous obstacles that would deter Nintendo from putting them in their selection.

Personally, I want the next soonest character to be a spirit because if we didn't get any spirits as DLC characters, I have the nagging feeling in the back of my head that people would say that despite not being present, the fact that they were a spirit wasn't the thing that deconfirmed them.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The thing is what Smashing Ramen said, both things have the exact same meaning.
I rarely call Smash things overthinking, they rarely are, but this...is.

I doubt Reggie would even be too aware of this. How would he be sure a given DLC fighter isn't a Spirit? He's a busy man.

Potato_

Smash Lord

BEFORE ANY FREAKS OUT THINKING I HAVE INSIDER INFO, THIS IS A JOKE

Being serious, I saw some statistics about Dark Souls and how well it sells, and I could definitely see it happen given Nintendo and Namco's positive relationship and From Software's support of the Switch.

I'd much rather have Lloyd or Yuri though.
To add to this, Dark Souls does well in both the west and Japan, has undoubtedly left its mark on the medium and belongs to a company and publisher with VERY good ties to Nintendo. Solaire has a freaking Amiibo.

And yet Dark Souls as a whole is rarely spoken about in regards to Smash.

I've been considering it for a while now. Seems perfect for another wildcard, surprise pick.

Ok I know he doesn’t have a chance in hell, but I’d love if they added Yoshimitsu as a way to represent both Tekken and Soul Caliber. I know he’s not the main character of either series, but he’s reoccurring enough in both to atleast be notable.
View attachment 183366
View attachment 183367

He’s a wacky cyborg samurai ninja that teleports, spits out poison, can heal himself or leach life from opponents, and can use his swords to fly around like a helicopter or jump around on them like a pogo stick. He’s such a blast to play I’d love to see how his erratic play style would work in a platform fighter.

I know Yoshimitsu is not even close to likely, but let me gush for this badass for a moment.
You forgot to mention the move where he literally commits seppuku.

Yoshimitsu is awesome.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
The thing is what Smashing Ramen said, both things have the exact same meaning.
I rarely call Smash things overthinking, they rarely are, but this...is.

I doubt Reggie would even be too aware of this. How would he be sure a given DLC fighter isn't a Spirit? He's a busy man.
He literally plays the game you know that right? He’s like any normal human being

Edit: Not saying you’re not a human being if you don’t play smash lol

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Like you wanna know how the ''Those spirits are different because there of..." sounds really dumb?

Some of the extra Wii Fit ones are Spirits....of....Yoga Poses.

Featuring the Wii Fit Trainers.

How does a Yoga Pose have a Spirit? It doesn't. Logically the spirit would belong to the Wii Fit Trainer in the PNG image.

But wait.....THEY ALSO HAVE A FIGHTER SPIRIT.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Please stop acting like you personally know and are friends with Reggie Fils-Aime, who assists in running the biggest videogame company in the world
In fact, given his busy position, you'd think he could easily let obvious things slip his mind.

Like you wanna know how the ''Those spirits are different because there of..." sounds really dumb?

Some of the extra Wii Fit ones are Spirits....of....Yoga Poses.

Featuring the Wii Fit Trainers.

How does a Yoga Pose have a Spirit? It doesn't. Logical the spirit would belong the Wii Fit Trainer in the PNG image.

But wait.....THEY ALSO HAVE A FIGHTER SPIRIT.
And Wii Fit Trainer's Fighter Spirit is the Ultimate render, like Cloud.

And then we have an equip-able Pit (Original) Spirit. stop acting like Classic Pit and Modern Pit aren't canonically the same darn it.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
so i think its mostly just generally safe to assume for the moment that a character with a spirit has very low chances of getting in et all, mostly to lower disappointment

and i still think its entirely likely for us to get nothing but "shock" third party characters rather than any first party characters. maybe one nintendo character could get in, but i'm 90% certain the rest are going to end up being third party guff

also erdrick is the worst choice for a dragon quest rep just in like, terms of fun? he's so boring compared to even most of the other main characters, he just happens to be the main character of the most popular game in the series and that's what makes him at all popular. yangus would be the best choice for a hero character tbh

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Hottake.

I don't like Scorpion and Sub Zero, but I love Mortal Kombat.

I dunno, Scorpion and Sub-Zero have always felt hella plain while all the other technicolor Ninjas actually evolved into other, cool and interesting things like Reptile and Smoke.

Scorpion and Sub-Z are just boring to me, I'd rather have someone like Raiden, though I know that's impossible.
I kind of feel this way, but they really grew on me in MKX, Scorpion and Sub-Zero reconciling and respecting each was really cool and needed character development for the two. Still I’ve always liked Ermac the best.

You forgot to mention the move where he literally commits seppuku.

Yoshimitsu is awesome.
I kind of left that out since I doubt that move would get pass the radar, but if it did I’d be amazed.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
so i think its mostly just generally safe to assume for the moment that a character with a spirit has very low chances of getting in et all, mostly to lower disappointment

and i still think its entirely likely for us to get nothing but "shock" third party characters rather than any first party characters. maybe one nintendo character could get in, but i'm 90% certain the rest are going to end up being third party guff

also erdrick is the worst choice for a dragon quest rep just in like, terms of fun? he's so boring compared to even most of the other main characters, he just happens to be the main character of the most popular game in the series and that's what makes him at all popular. yangus would be the best choice for a hero character tbh
I totally agree with the "ASSUME Spirit characters won't get in" logic, jsyk. Just not the "Spirit characters won't get in" logic. Hope this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom