• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
also the other day i was lamenting the fact we don't have a straight up samurai character in the game. we got nothing but knights and **** for the sword people, not a single samurai

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Actually I recall running into him and thinking of you is he not a Spirit
He is! So is Akari, and she's on the mountain. I smiled when I saw that. I was just kidding since the debate is about spirits not deconfirming, so clearly since there's no Wave Race music (the real deconfirmation machine), and there's no evidence that spirits deconfirm...

(For the record, I don't think they do, but I also don't think we have nearly enough information to truly judge that so it's sort of fruitless. I'm holding out hope for you though.)

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
My question is: is promotion a bad thing? All third party companies want to promote their IPs and brand, and what better way to do so than Smash? I don't think it's bad to want to do that, especially if your game or series has other merits to base it's inclusion off of.
It's considered a bad thing if it's "undeserved." What that means is mostly subjective and depends on the individual. Some franchises do have merit, like you say. Pokemon is Nintendo's biggest media franchise, so it getting loosely promotional characters in the last three games isn't that questionable, because those characters are guaranteed to be popular to some degree. Fire Emblem getting it twice, however, is a different story.

The big reason why it rubs people the wrong way is that there's an endless amount of characters from older games that people have loved and wanted for years, so when a character shows up and it's transparently just to advertise some new game, it's kind of like a kick in the shins. Imagine if we didn't get Daisy, Ridley, Simon, or K. Rool, but instead got a bunch of characters from games released this year or coming out next year instead. How would that make people feel, compared to what people feel now?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If it weren't for Solaire being the Dark Souls of Dark Souls, I'd be campaigning for Siegmeyer of Catarina to get in because the dude deserves it after putting up with all the bs I make him go through.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
While on the topic of “promotional” characters, I do wanna day that it’s possible for my pick Cynthia to qualify as a promotional pick in the context of if she’s there in Gen 8 (which is honestly say is a 50/50 shot considering she’s appeared in every generation since her debut aside from X & Y) or if they release OR&AS style remakes of the Diamond & Pearl games. Also while a couple of her Pokémon are Spirits, she herself isn’t one so I think she could be a safe choice on that front. (Since:ultpokemontrainer:’s Pokémon have Fighter spirits too they could either update the existing spirits with their preevolutions art or just use the Smash renders like with :ultpokemontrainer: and specify “Cynthia’s Garchomp” potentially). Maybe this could be done for other existing characters that relate to upcoming games?

There, I got that out of my system.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

also the other day i was lamenting the fact we don't have a straight up samurai character in the game. we got nothing but knights and **** for the sword people, not a single samurai
Crono coming right on time to help then in my dreams

Bionichute

Smash Champion
If it weren't for Solaire being the Dark Souls of Dark Souls, I'd be campaigning for Siegmeyer of Catarina to get in because the dude deserves it after putting up with all the bs I make him go through.
honestly if we get a dark souls its going to be Generic Main Character since sakurai obviously does not care if the character has to be an actual character. the same goes with monster hunter which im still fairly certain is going to get dlc

also if the dark souls character doesn't have the onion armor as a costume i will riot

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Comparing the box theory to Spirits theory is funny too.

One was based on actual logic and deducing.

One is based on assumptions and highly illogical things.

Stop comparing the two just because you want to be right.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
While on the topic of “promotional” characters, I do wanna day that it’s possible for my pick Cynthia to qualify as a promotional pick in the context of if she’s there in Gen 8 (which is honestly say is a 50/50 shot considering she’s appeared in every generation since her debut aside from X & Y) or if they release OR&AS style remakes of the Diamond & Pearl games. Also while a couple of her Pokémon are Spirits, she herself isn’t one so I think she could be a safe choice on that front. (Since:ultpokemontrainer:’s Pokémon have Fighter spirits too they could either update the existing spirits with their preevolutions art or just use the Smash renders like with :ultpokemontrainer: and specify “Cynthia’s Garchomp” potentially)

Sure Cynthia's been in every game since her debut aside from XY, but she's never been in a major role. Why promote a character that's making a cameo, as opposed to a new rising star from that generation?

Keep the dream alive though. don't let the man get you down. Cynthia's a rad champion.

Roberk

Smash Champion
While on the topic of “promotional” characters, I do wanna day that it’s possible for my pick Cynthia to qualify as a promotional pick in the context of if she’s there in Gen 8 (which is honestly say is a 50/50 shot considering she’s appeared in every generation since her debut aside from X & Y) or if they release OR&AS style remakes of the Diamond & Pearl games. Also while a couple of her Pokémon are Spirits, she herself isn’t one so I think she could be a safe choice on that front. (Since:ultpokemontrainer:’s Pokémon have Fighter spirits too they could either update the existing spirits with their preevolutions art or just use the Smash renders like with :ultpokemontrainer: and specify “Cynthia’s Garchomp” potentially)

I'd love a Cynthia/Garchomp duo, I just don't know if TPC is willing to put in an actual human character from Pokemon (generic self-insert Pokemon Trainer doesn't count).

D

Deleted member

honestly if we get a dark souls its going to be Generic Main Character since sakurai obviously does not care if the character has to be an actual character. the same goes with monster hunter which im still fairly certain is going to get dlc

also if the dark souls character doesn't have the onion armor as a costume i will riot
There's literalpy nothing to the playable character. Like, nada. No default appearamce, no personality and not even a name.
As others have said, Dark Souls is a very different game than the other third parties and you can still represent the gameplay of Dark Souls perfectly even if you choose an NPC.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Im still on the side of spirits meaning jack and **** when it comes to upcoming DLC. We don't know when the spirits were decided and DLC seems to have just finished discussions this year so it's possible spirits weren't even taking possible DLC into account in the first place.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
There's literalpy nothing to the playable character. Like, nada. No default appearamce, no personality and not even a name.
As others have said, Dark Souls is a very different game than the other third parties and you can still represent the gameplay of Dark Souls perfectly even if you choose an NPC.
oh im not saying i wouldn't prefer solaire, i would, its just that smash has been very consistent on the main character (or closest there is) being the first character to represent a series, so i don't see why that would change with dark souls. besides, the thing that would sell dark souls in smash IS dark souls in smash, doesn't have to be a character to sell it

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Was Cynthia in Sun & Moon?

I don't remember whatsoever; I beat both Moon and Ultra Moon (well, I never got the Dragonite I originally planned after catching Dratini in Moon...).

Cynthia would be cool; her Champion battle theme is my favorite.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sakurai: Hmm, I think i'll add him as a fighter-wait, ****. Can't do that, we already have his .PNG in the game. Never mind.

Dun27m6V4AAyKjH.jpg

Come on, guys.

Shroob

Sup?
Untitled.png

Admit it, this image still causes you mental pain, doesn't it?

Because every argument against it ended up wrong, and we really did soon realize:

"Yep, they really DID let some design team members know how many characters were left."

"No, they would not shrink the boxes."

"Yes, there was indeed a weird pattern of 9."

"Yes, they really would end on Kencineroar."

And the best one:

"Yes, Nintendo actually would leak the final amount of characters 3 months early and expect us not to realize it."

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
How early in January have they done their past Q1 directs?

Separate note. I don’t think Joker will get a gameplay trailer. I think when they showcase him they’ll just showcase his gameplay, maybe with his SmashBlog video. Like the E3 stream and how they handled Inkling and Daisy. I mean, what would be the point when you have that? To get a splash screen? Most of the Echo Fighters didn’t even get those.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

In the Battle Tree along with grown-up Red & Blue and a few other returning characters.
Yeah, at the battle tree.
Well that makes sense, I only messed around with the Battle Tree like one or two times and didn't get far at all. Funny, I was actually thinking that may have been where she was.

They actually ported her theme over? That's awesome.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
if erdrick gets in i am going to very passively complain about how there were better choices for a dragon quest rep but also not really complain about it because i love dragon quest

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Was Cynthia in Sun & Moon?

I don't remember whatsoever; I beat both Moon and Ultra Moon (well, I never got the Dragonite I originally planned after catching Dratini in Moon...).

Cynthia would be cool; her Champion battle theme is my favorite.
She was a Battle Tree opponent iirc. Think you could also fight alongside her too but not sure

Bionichute

Smash Champion

Separate note. I don’t think Joker will get a gameplay trailer. I think when they showcase him they’ll just showcase his gameplay, maybe with his SmashBlog video. Like the E3 stream and how they handled Inkling and Daisy. I mean, what would be the point when you have that? To get a splash screen? Most of the Echo Fighters didn’t even get those.
i think there will be a semi-trailer thing at the next direct to show off gameplay for him but probably no other trailer. also inkling didn't even get a splash screen and they were the first ones announced

Noipoi

Howdy!

I bet he'll get a little section in the next direct, like Inkling at E3.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: Hmm, I think i'll add him as a fighter-wait, ****. Can't do that, we already have his .PNG in the game. Never mind.

View attachment 183371

Come on, guys.
This right here is why I'm surprised people are pushing something that is nothing more than just that. This is like saying the Zaibatsu will live on.
Totally ****ing dumb.

Yeah... Totally dumb...
why does 2018 ****ing blow

scott has committed suicide.png

Iridium

Smash Hero
View attachment 183370

Because every argument against it ended up wrong, and we really did soon realize:

"Yep, they really DID let some design team members know how many characters were left."

And the best one:

"Yes, Nintendo actually would leak the final amount of characters 3 months early and expect us not to realize it."
I want the box, though, so I'm good.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This right here is why I'm surprised people are pushing something that is nothing more than just that. This is like saying the Zaibatsu will live on.
Totally ****ing dumb.

Yeah... Totally dumb...
why does 2018 ****ing blow

View attachment 183373
The funniest thing is it's people who mocked people who followed the equally stupid chair theories and background theories.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
View attachment 183370

And the best one:

I have to live with the fact that box theory supporters get to belittle and insult and be eternally smug at all of us who didn't believe in it for the rest of my ****ing days.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
And hopefully we also get one or more new character reveal.
im fully expecting the next trailer to have piranha plant's general release date announced, joker gameplay, and then a new character at the very end (presumably with no gameplay footage like with joker)

Bionichute

Smash Champion
We're almost there, bud! We're almost to 2019, which is definitely gonna be better!

Well, it's definitely gonna be better for me. I hope it'll be better for you.
itll be better since we only have to wait less than a decade for our inevitable destruction

LetterO

Smash Lord
The real Onion Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom