• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Seeing the Mythra Spirit being censored and not Pyra surprised me after seeing a censored Pyra Spirit online (which I now guess was either fake or originally planned...?), though to be fair Mythra is very close to...you know.
Very close to..... being best girl?

Why yes, she is.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
i would love more dlc but that extra space is probably for the training stage
Except when you go into training mode it just replaces the random slot.

It would make sense to do a Minecraft stage a la carte along with Banjo. I mean. A stage would be the best way to represent Minecraft.

I think that’s still not found yet, but it’s not Kira, her name isn’t listed in the credits.
Wait. So the VA’s do get credited! Then why can’t we have Cloud’s English voice!?!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Wait. So the VA’s do get credited! Then why can’t we have Cloud’s English voice!?!
Cause he’s a union actor and this is a non union game. Pit’s voice actor is union but he can get around it by choosing to go uncredited, Cloud’s actor can’t because his contact with Square requires him to be credited when playing Cloud.

D

Deleted member

Admit it though.

She's twice as hot now.
This is gonna go down David Cage-levels of fetish **** I don't wanna delve into. :drfacepalm:

it could be worse, there's a chance you could have gotten claus and hinawa as your final spirit fights
Oh, I came across them on my World of Light playthrough.

My hate for Nintendo grew three times that day.

GRRRR.png

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Box theory being true really took a new level to Nintendo’s stupidity huh?

It was the true ESRB leak of Ultimate, not Grinch,

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So on an unrelated note... does anyone actually use the echo-stacking feature? 'Cause I feel like they introduced it to be safe in case people were butthurt about echoes, but I can't see anyone actually wanting to do it. Personally, I don't really see the point or value in it; I'm just curious to know if anyone's actually been using it.

Just a random thought I had.
Honestly, they made a good call with that considering how people were so stupidly butthurt about Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario in the last game..weirdly wanting less content by making them 'just costumes'..which I will never understand..

However, re-branding these characters as Echo Fighters seemed to make everyone love the idea of clones lol
Absolutely.

If you're going to want characters that will sell well from a popular series then Joker's absolutely a logical character to come to.
Yeah, I can't disagree..the best characters to choose for that were honestly between Joker from Persona 5 and Sora from Kingdom Hearts..but I can't say anyone really saw Joker as super likely.

Simple, because its not a Union Game and Steve Burton can not be in a non-union game because he is a union voice actor..however, he also can not go uncredited because his contract with Square-Enix dictates that he must always be credited for his voice acting.
Some union voice actors do go uncredited, however, such as Pit & Dark Pit's voice actor opting to go uncredited.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Box theory being true really took a new level to Nintendo’s stupidity huh?
Honestly, this shouldn't have been a discussion to begin with since they had done it in the past with other games.

People just clung to the belief that there'd be no way they'd do it with Smash. Smash is special after all.

I really think Nintendo didn't actually think leaving those two spots would even mean anything to most people.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Cause he’s a union actor and this is a non union game. Pit’s voice actor is union but he can get around it by choosing to go uncredited, Cloud’s actor can’t because his contact with Square requires him to be credited when playing Cloud.
Arg. Why on earth isn’t it union? Other smaller Nintendo games have been. I know it’s a small thing to be bugged by but..

Wait a minute. Travis Willingham. He’s the voice of Knuckles and he’s been in many of a union project as well. He’s Disney’s current voice actor for animated appearances of Thor for pete’s sake. And his name is in the credits. Same thing with Yuri Lowenthal (Marth, Alucard). And Paul Eiding (Colonel Campbell)...... Now I’m really confused.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Honestly, they made a good call with that considering how people were so stupidly butthurt about Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario in the last game..weirdly wanting less content by making them 'just costumes'..which I will never understand..

However, re-branding these characters as Echo Fighters seemed to make everyone love the idea of clones lol
to be honest they weren't exactly the best in terms of content either, mostly because smash 4 had so little to actually do. lucina and dark pit are still basically the same character as marth and pit, lucina slightly less so.

ultimate actually making it obvious they were clones, plus also not skimping out on giving them anything worthwhile to do, makes them feel more like they belong than they did in 4

LetterO

Smash Lord
I miss the times when Geno and Skull Kid were locks. Good times before the boxes and grinches.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
you would also be a monster

doing it with any character would make you a monster but the reptilian characters make you even more of a monster
Hey!
Yoshi is a dinosaur.

...Which, technically makes him not reptilian, but avian.

However, he was also originally meant to be a sub-species of koopa, which... Complicates things... As they seem to be reptilian...

But then Bowser, the King of Koopas, has hair, which reptilians cannot, and could be explained as his hair actually being something akin to the small "hairs" of a feather, meaning Koopas themselves might also be closer to dinosaurs instead of reptilians, making them avian as well...

Well, it'd explain the Paratroopas.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Arg. Why on earth isn’t it union? Other smaller Nintendo games have been. I know it’s a small thing to be bugged by but..

Wait a minute. Travis Willingham. He’s the voice of Knuckles and he’s been in many of a union project as well. He’s Disney’s current voice actor for animated appearances of Thor for pete’s sake. Same thing with Yuri Lowenthal. And Paul Eiding...... Now I’m really confused.
Money and legal issues I guess.

Travis is sort of in that middle ground though he’s seemingly making a slow transition to union. I don’t think Yuri is union. Paul Eiding definitely is. I don’t blame you for being confused, I’m still trying to make sense of it myself. Also considering the most recent game with union actors was Fates...take that for what you will.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Showing off :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon: early and then stating that :ultchrom::ultdarksamus: were “highly requested” was a such bad move imo.

It really gave us the false assumption that the newcomer line-up theme was fanservice so surely Isaac, Geno, and Skull Kid were definite locks right?

Nope, :ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Money and legal issues I guess.

Travis is sort of in that middle ground though he’s seemingly making a slow transition to union. I don’t think Yuri is union. Paul Eiding definitely is. Also considering the most recent game with union actors was Fates...take that for what you will.
Yuri is the longtime voice of my childhood hero Ben 10. Which was most likely a union project. Also Roger Craig Smith. Sonic the hedgehog and once again, Disney’s go to voice for animated Captain America. Can non union actors work in union projects?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yuri is the longtime voice of my childhood hero Ben 10. Which was most likely a union project. Can non union actors work in union projects?
Yes, non-union actors can be in union projects, just not the other way around without some loopholes.

Case in point, the Spyro Reignited Trilogy...actors typically associated with anime and video games like Cassandra Lee Morris and Robbie Daymond appear alongside voice acting legends typically associated with American animation like Tom Kenny and Gregg Berger

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Showing off :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon: early and then stating that :ultchrom::ultdarksamus: were “highly requested” was a such bad move imo.

It really gave us the false assumption that the newcomer line-up theme was fanservice so surely Isaac, Geno, and Skull Kid were definite locks right?

I mean, it worked.

If you hadn't pre-ordered after Ridley, you almost certainly did after the August Direct.

Smash has yet to end on a universally 'loved' reveal, and until this gets broken inevitably, I stand by the stance they don't save the best for last.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
to be honest they weren't exactly the best in terms of content either, mostly because smash 4 had so little to actually do. lucina and dark pit are still basically the same character as marth and pit, lucina slightly less so.

ultimate actually making it obvious they were clones, plus also not skimping out on giving them anything worthwhile to do, makes them feel more like they belong than they did in 4
Yeah, that may be, but people actively wanting them to be only costumes were campaigning for less content..having Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario as only costumes would have gotten us 6 less trophies (alt colour and final smash trophies for each of them..the default trophies would have still happened like Alph & the Koopalings), 6 less images for Classic & All-Star (12 if you include the 3DS versions), and 24 less alternate costumes (4 less each for Marth, Lucina, Mario, Dr. Mario, Pit, and Dark Pit)..so yeah, if they were only costumes we would have legitimately gotten less content in the main game..and that's not even counting each of them having an amiibo figure, meaning we'd have 3 less amiibo and thus less content for any games that used their particular amiibo, such as Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Codename: STEAM, Fire Emblem Fates, and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yes, non-union actors can be in union projects, just not the other way around without some loopholes.

Case in point, the Spyro Reignited Trilogy...actors typically associated with anime and video games like Cassandra Lee Morris and Robbie Daymond appear alongside voice acting legends like Tom Kenny and Gregg Berger
Nice job Square. Still curious about Paul. My convoluted theory is that Brawl must have been union, or Paul wasn’t at the time, and they were able to get away with it now because they were literally just recycling voice clips. Doesn’t explain why they just couldn’t use archive audio for Cloud then but it’s the only theory I’ve got.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Isabelle is one of the most beloved Nintendo characters, ya'll treat her wrong, but she's definitely a fan request.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Nice job Square. Still curious about Paul. My convoluted theory is that Brawl must have been union, or Paul wasn’t at the time, and they were able to get away with it now because they were literally just recycling voice clips. Doesn’t explain why they just couldn’t use archive audio for Cloud then but it’s the only theory I’ve got.
Brawl was unionized, it had to be to get the Metal Gear actors. As for Cloud, I guess that wasn’t something Square was willing to do? Cause SEGA was able to provide clips of RCS for Sonic.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Brawl was unionized, it had to be to get the Metal Gear actors. As for Cloud, I guess that wasn’t something Square was willing to do?
Nice one Square. What a bunch of..... squares. So I guess my archive audio theory was right. Strange that the actors stil get credited. Makes me even more angry about them not doing it for Cloud. Dissidia is literally a fighting game. I’m sure they’d find what they needed in there.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Nice one Square. What a bunch of..... squares. So I guess my archive audio theory was right. Strange that the actors stil get credited. Makes me even more angry about them not doing it for Cloud. Dissidia is literally a fighting game. I’m sure they’d find what they needed in there.
you shouldnt be shocked at square being the worst. they have done a number of dumb **** over the years

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well hopefully it won’t be an issue for any other newcomer to have their respective voice over artists return.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

TALKING **** ABOUT MY PLANT?

D

Deleted member

hideki kamiya posted a poll on twitter asking which character his followers would want in smash bros

Dante, Ammy, Wonder-Red, and Viewtiful Joe were the choices

could this mean something? probably not, but bayonetta IS still in the game, and capcom is pretty lenient with letting stuff in to smash too...
Amaterasu would be a ****ing godsend, literally. Y'all are sleeping on the Bob Ross of video games.

osby

Smash Obsessed

If you think Isabelle isn't fanservice, you need to get out of your cave once in a while.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>everybody ****s on :ultchrom: because of Aether
>ZeRo sits in the back making him second-to-best in his tier list

1530414388448.png

Their gods have betrayed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom