• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
IMO, having Waluigi playable defeats the purpose of him as a character.

He hates everyone, and himself, he thinks everyone's in the wrong, but himself, and he's always striving to be the 2nd best instead of 1st by chasing after Luigi.

It's kind of like the Moles from Earthbound who all think that they're the 3rd Strongest, the joke wouldn't be funny if there actually was a difference in their stats.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
No, really, she wasn't "too big to ignore".
But I'd argue she was...
Ever since her debut, she's appeared in almost every Animal Crossing game going forward, usually being one of the notable characters on the box.
Not only that, but she's had the honor of appearing as a guest DLC character in Mario Kart 8.

And you're telling me she wasn't big enough?

If you ask me, I'd label her a legitimate Nintendo All-star.
Possibly, even more so, than Waluigi

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Man, I really love that first Digimon movie, its animation is absolutely stunning, it's so atmospheric for something set in the real world, and it's a great introduction to the whole Digimon concept. It might be short, but it makes the most of the time it has, it's in my opinion the best thing to come out of the series.
The Digimon animes had good pedigree

plenty of highly regarded people in the anime industry have worked on it like Sushio, Hosoda, and even the Serial Experiments Lain writer who did Digimon Tamers story which shows:
[PLSP-card] Digimon Tamers 47 (H264-AAC) [A3C74F91].mkv_snapshot_03.44_[2018.12.04_13.36.14].jpg
[PLSP-card] Digimon Tamers 47 (H264-AAC) [A3C74F91].mkv_snapshot_03.45_[2018.12.04_13.36.18].jpg
[PLSP-card] Digimon Tamers 50 (H264-AAC) [90174819].mkv_snapshot_19.35_[2018.12.04_22.07.26].jpg
[PLSP-card] Digimon Tamers 49 (H264-AAC) [D718BCC4].mkv_snapshot_10.22_[2018.12.04_21.36.55].jpg
1543993188328.png

D

Deleted member

The difference between Isabelle and Waluigi is that Waluigi being an assist fits his entire character. Luigi was meant to be Player 2, Mario Player 1, Wario is a grotesque antagonistic version of Mario, and Waluigi was just made to fill an empty slot as a sidekick to Wario, and an nuisance to Luigi. Isabelle wasn't created for the sake of filling a slot. That was the point of my post.

This, however, just seems like salt because an assist trophy you wanted didn't get in, and one you didn't really care too much for did.
Isabelle was created to assist the player. What do Assist Trophies do, NineS? They assist the player.
What did Isabelle do as an Assist, NineS? She assisted the player by tossing them healing fruit.

I'd say her very creation being an assistant to the player means being an Assist Trophy -gasp- FITS HER ENTIRE CHARACTER.

A lot more than some "created to fill a slot" nonsense because the role Waluigi was created to fill isn't actually being represented whatsoever.

But whatever. I guess calling out biased bull**** means I'm salty, so this is the last I'm going to say.

But I'd argue she was...
Ever since her debut, she's appeared in almost every Animal Crossing game going forward, usually being one of the notable characters on the box.

Not only that, but she's had the honor of appearing as a guest DLC character in Mario Kart 8.

Way to ignore the rest, particular about other "too big to ignores" that didn't make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Honestly Waluigi is probably the most well-known first-party character not playable yet, excluding toad.

Shroob

Sup?
Isabelle also has a lot of unfortunate circumstances around her reveal in general:

Delayed an entire week due to a massive Earthquake, which spouted horrible "ISAAC CUNFIRMED GUIZ" ****.

Trailer was....honestly really boring, and made a LOT of Animal Crossing fans mad at first until they saw "But actually AC Switch 2019!"

Andddddd........ of course, she was the harbinger of end times.

With Isabelle, rode a pale Box Theory, which harbored the age of Box Theory, Music Theory, Blog Theory wars non-stop, while Insiders knew this was the end of the road, the Grinch hoax rose up and gave everyone false hope.

"NINTENDO WOULD NEVER......." is famous last words 'round these parts nowadays.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don’t think characters like Isabelle or Bandana Dee are really breakout characters. Nintendo themselves have done a lot of heavy lifting when it comes to why those characters get pushed so much. They’re put in rarified roles whereby popularity generally follows.

It’s not really along the same wavelength as characters like Ashley, or Twintelle, or Scizor, or even Skull Kid, to an extent, where they aren’t really elevated among their contemporaries role-wise until the fans start pushing.

To that end Waluigi would sort of seem like a breakout character in that he’s garnered a lot of popularity despite never being put in an especially noteworthy position. Though the thing is Nintendo has more or less ignored the fact that he’s broken out, in-game at least.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Isabelle also has a lot of unfortunate circumstances around her reveal in general:

Delayed an entire week due to a massive Earthquake, which spouted horrible "ISAAC CUNFIRMED GUIZ" ****.

Trailer was....honestly really boring, and made a LOT of Animal Crossing fans mad at first until they saw "But actually AC Switch 2019!"

Andddddd........ of course, she was the harbinger of end times.

With Isabelle, rode a pale Box Theory, which harbored the age of Box Theory, Music Theory, Blog Theory wars non-stop, while Insiders knew this was the end of the road, the Grinch hoax rose up and gave everyone false hope.

"NINTENDO WOULD NEVER......." is famous last words 'round these parts nowadays.
I will always look back on those days with an odd mix of annoyance and nostalgia.

It was such a weird time to live in, but I don't really regret it.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
I don't want Waluigi to be playable. Not because he wouldn't fit or anything, but because the anguish of his fans give me life.

"He isn't in thee game!!!! I'll send Sakurai death threats and 9/11 jokes"
"the anguish of his fans give me life"
Wow. That's some pretty terrible reasoning, ngl. And also, it was only two kids who did the 9/11 jokes. Meaning not the majority of his fanbase like some people are so hellbent on believing.

D

Deleted member

Ignoring mob enemies

Peppy Hare
Paper Mario

off the top of my head
Oh yeah, mobs probably shouldn’t count thiugh.
As for the other two, I highly doubt they’re more well known than waluigi. Mario Kart is a HUGE series, as are most mario spin-offs, and waluigi tends to make a lot of appearances in those games, giving him notoriety.

Shroob

Sup?
"the anguish of his fans give me life"
Wow. That's some pretty terrible reasoning, ngl. And also, it was only two kids who did the 9/11 jokes. Meaning not the majority of his fanbase like some people are so hellbent on believing.
"A Piranha Plant got in over Waluigi" will never stop being funny though. :ultpiranha:

KMDP

Smash Legend
...I just beat Guile (a Legend Rank Spirit) in the most bull-**** way possible.

Guile is a battle against Captain Falcon, where the Guile assist trophy appears, the same rules applies as with all other Street Fighter spirits (Stamina Battle, everyone has reduced Jump Power)

I was having trouble beating him using Cloud, but then I beat Captain Falcon by accident, by using Climhazzard (not even the Limit version) and meteor-spiking Captain Falcon as he was trying to edge-guard me.

So... uh... fun fact, if you take someone with you with Climhazzard, you take the stock.

D

Deleted member

Though the thing is Nintendo has more or less ignored the fact that he’s broken out, in-game at least.
Waluigi has the unfortunate fact that he was made by Camelot making that an issue.

The whole reason Wario was made was by his studio's distaste at having to make games with characters they didn't create.
Waluigi not being one of Nintendo R&D2's creations.....and them being in charge of the Wario franchise while the other branches of Nintendo don't touch anything Wario-related except for Mario spin-offs.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
But I'd argue she was...

Apologies for butting in, but I believe @GoldenYuiitusin's point was more so that Isabelle isn't necessarily more notably popular than other assist characters, many of whom have more established histories and fanbases. Isabelle is only an "all-star" because she's popular; you would not see a Mario Kart crossover if no one liked her. Waluigi and Ashley are really popular too, and have been around longer than Isabelle has existed, yet they remain as assists despite this. It probably comes down to ease of creation and Sakurai's internal machinations, rather than "necessity" of inclusion.

Double K

Smash Lord
Look, Waluigi is to Smash Bros. as to what Asagi is to NIS

Making them a main character defeats the purpose of their very existence

LetterO

Smash Lord
I don't want Waluigi to be playable. Not because he wouldn't fit or anything, but because the anguish of his fans give me life.

"He isn't in thee game!!!! I'll send Sakurai death threats and 9/11 jokes"
No. Stop

Stop the assumptions that a fanbase is bad because of the actions of few
Stop the reason of wanting/not wanting someone just to see people be unhappy
Stop that.

Everybody who does that stop that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

He's technically a main character by being playable at all, and being a main villain in at least two of the spinoffs (I'm not very familiar with them all; it was DDR and a tennis game I think (though technically Wario and Bowser were alongside him in the tennis one)).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Apologies for butting in, but I believe @GoldenYuiitusin's point was more so that Isabelle isn't necessarily more notably popular than other assist characters, many of whom have more established histories and fanbases. Isabelle is only an "all-star" because she's popular; you would not see a Mario Kart crossover if no one liked her. Waluigi and Ashley are really popular too, and have been around longer than Isabelle has existed, yet they remain as assists despite this. It probably comes down to ease of creation and Sakurai's internal machinations, rather than "necessity" of inclusion.
Pretty much this. While there's no question her popularity makes her an easy choice too, she still was able to be cloned off of Villager. This made her far easier to make than some. Ashley nor Waluigi have a character they can easily be cloned off of. This makes them far harder to create.

Isabelle being the new mascot does help, but not as much as ease of creation.

D

Deleted member

No. Stop

Stop the assumptions that a fanbase is bad because of the actions of few
Stop the reason of wanting/not wanting someone just to see people be unhappy
Stop that.

Everybody who does that stop that.
Going to start doing that just to spite you.

D

Deleted member

This circular logic makes me want to hang myself.

"Waluigi isn't important enough to be in Smash"

-> Then make him important enough so there's no iss-

"NO! THAT WOULD RUIN WHO HE IS!"

Just say you hate his guts and move on. Haters are easier to put up with than people pretending they give a **** about who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom