• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
On a serious talk, what 3rd Party DLC characters would you rank on a Joker-tier level in terms of pipe dream/shock/impossible value?
Doom Slayer (DOOM)
Tetrominoes (Tetris)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Chel (Portal)
Bubsy (Bubsy)
Q*bert (Q*bert)

D

Deleted member

In regards to Dee Dude Dee Dude 's question, my answer would be Dante, Doomguy, 2B, Ryu Hayabusa, and Kazuma Kiryu.

Also, Scorpion and Lloyd would be cool to see too.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
You're the first person who I've seen ask for Q*bert. And unfortunately not the first person to ask for Bubsy.
That was more a list in increasing order of unlikeliness/absurdity, not necessarily asking for any of them.

That being said, Tetrominoes all the way.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That was more a list in increasing order of unlikeliness/absurdity, not necessarily asking for any of them.

That being said, Tetrominoes all the way.
Fair enough. I'm not even sure how'd you make Qbert fight. Aside from kicking and censored swearing.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I certainly wouldn’t mind Lloyd, Heihachi or KOS-MOS, but am I the only one rooting for this guy?

View attachment 182925
I really like Nightmare and I'm open to the idea of him as well. Idealistically, we'd have as many third-party characters as there are third-party companies represented in Smash, mainly Sega's, Namco's, Capcom's, and Konami's. The 30 empty slots could allow room for 4 in each company in the future. If the big bad Square-Enix isn't as stingy as we think, make that 5 characters per company. Namco can have Pac-Man, Heihachi, Lloyd, Nightmare, and KOS-MOS for example.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I really like Nightmare and I'm open to the idea of him as well. Idealistically, we'd have as many third-party characters as there are third-party companies represented in Smash, mainly Sega's, Namco's, Capcom's, and Konami's. The 30 empty slots could allow room for 4 in each company in the future. If the big bad Square-Enix isn't as stingy as we think, make that 5 characters per company. Namco can have Pac-Man, Heihachi, Lloyd, Nightmare, and KOS-MOS for example.
I mean personally I don’t think there really needs THAT many third party reps per company, plus I’d like to see other companies get their third parties in like Ryu Hayabusa but I certainly wouldn’t mind Namco getting one or two more reps.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I mean personally I don’t think there really needs THAT many third party reps per company, plus I’d like to see other companies get their third parties in like Ryu Hayabusa but I certainly wouldn’t mind Namco getting one or two more reps.
Well that's why I said "ideally", right? Like, "in a perfect world..." sense. I also didn't quite discount other third-parties either, so Ryu Hyabusa could ninja himself in that ensemble of characters somewhere ;P

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Adding in Nightmare also would had returned the favor of Link appearing as a guest in the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well that's why I said "ideally", right? Like, "in a perfect world..." sense. I also didn't quite discount other third-parties either, so Ryu Hyabusa could ninja himself in that ensemble of characters somewhere ;P
Fair enough.

Adding in Nightmare also would had returned the favor of Link appearing as a guest in the GameCube version of Soul Calibur II.
Another reason why I want that to happen, I’d love to see round 2 of Link VS. Nightmare not that he’s on their turf.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So they're making the unlock fights easier. That's good for those who were hard-pressed by them, I suppose, but frankly I liked it not being a cakewalk, considering how easy it was to prompt fighting a challenger. Especially since they gave you a literal backdoor into rematching them.

Ideally they could make the actual unlock methods a bit more interesting, but in absence of that at least there was a little challenge. Ah well. Probably better for those with less experience... which is likely the majority out there. ^_^;

But hey, specific patch notes (more or less). That's something I thought would be too good to be true.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So they're making the unlock fights easier. That's good for those who were hard-pressed by them, I suppose, but frankly I liked it not being a cakewalk, considering how easy it was to prompt fighting a challenger. Especially since they gave you a literal backdoor into rematching them.

Ideally they could make the actual unlock methods a bit more interesting, but in absence of that at least there was a little challenge. Ah well. Probably better for those with less experience... which is likely the majority out there. ^_^;

But hey, specific patch notes (more or less). That's something I thought would be too good to be true.
I think that instead of lowering the difficulty, making Challengers Approach instantly available (instead of having to wait for it to sporadically activate) and removing the timer would've been better. It keeps the challenge, but makes it more accessible and streamlined overall.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

God, I love the new modes Ultimate has. Smashdown, Squad Strike, Spirit Board. It's great stuff.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Okay, but what if one of Scout's victory animations is him taking off his face and it was actually Spy the whole time
Perfect. Just perfect

I think that instead of lowering the difficulty, making Challengers Approach instantly available (instead of having to wait for it to sporadically activate) and removing the timer would've been better. It keeps the challenge, but makes it more accessible and streamlined overall.
Honestly I feel something had to give with it at least. The difficulty itself is not the ideal solution but it's at least something considering them being that difficult means more waiting and hoping that the rematch option appears again. Them making them less difficult may be more helpful to the average player as well considering the timer and everything else at least has workarounds. Anyone can potentially game the system if they look up what to do while on the other hand less skilled or more casual players could find themselves locked out of playing the characters they like due to their generally high difficulty after a while.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sorry for being late to the convo, but I hate how "deserves" became such a buzzword in the community.
Too bad! It's a perfectly valid, if subjective as hell, qualification!
Nightmare would be pretty sick. But Tekken's my ride or die 3D Fighting game. So I gotta go with Jin or Heihachi first, but if Nightmare was chosen instead I wouldn't be mad at all.
Do both. Go Yoshimitsu.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is your game up to date? I've heard that Hard Mode was added in the 1.1 update. I was able to select hard mode from the get go.

Have you already started a save file? It might also be (this is just a guess) that it only let's you lower the difficulty rather then raise it. If that's the case you might have to use the second save slot to play hard mode.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
A fellow Chell supporter?! :O

I thought I was an endangered species!
Valve has plenty of great sleeper choices for Smash.

Chell from Portal, Gordon Freeman from Half-Life, any of the Team Fortress 2 peeps, they're all pretty well known and beloved, and all could bring something new to Smash (portals, the Gravity Gun, the different weapons the TF2 classes have, etc.).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Chell from Portal, Gordon Freeman from Half-Life, any of the Team Fortress 2 peeps, they're all pretty well known and beloved, and all could bring something new to Smash (portals, the Gravity Gun, the different weapons the TF2 classes have, etc.).
Not going to lie; a Team Fortress character, as unlikely as it'd be, would easily make my top third party, assuming Tails is deconfirmed due to his Spirit.

Heavy is the face of the series, so it'd be him. Final Smash is obviously "CHARGE ME DOCKTOR!". A Sandvich recovery move? I'd struggle with an up special since Heavy is one of the few classes without any obvious movement techniques...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Too bad! It's a perfectly valid, if subjective as hell, qualification!
Yeah well my opinion is factually correct and I deserve to make firm statements while yours is dumb and doo-doo!

Heavy would be kino, honestly. Just imagine playing Doubles with him on one team. Easy Easter Egg for his team's win quote right here:
"FRIENDSHIP IS STOOPID MAGIK"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I learned something super cool about :ultken: after playing with him a bit. His F-Smash from what I see has a larger hitbox than what it actually presents, and you can get pretty sneaky hits in by shuffling around and then throwing it out. It kills at around 80 near ledge, and I'm just calling it the Ken Shuffle.

It's as simple as :GCL::GCR::GCCUR:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Please help
I feel my insides shutting down
I only have 25 Spirits left to collect, and I know 23 of them are Fighter Spirits (so Classic Mode for main fighters, and the shop for the rest), 1 is Klaptrap from doing a challenge with K. Rool, but the very last one is Gold Mario and I've run into a conundrum.

To Summon it, I have all the required cores except for Fire Flower. I USED to have a Fire Flower, but I used it to summon Koume and Kotake. But now, even though Fire Flower is just a Novice Support Spirit, I can't get one to appear, no matter how many times I use 'All Support' items in the Spirit Board. I've gone through like 40 and it won't show up.

Is Fire Flower locked to Adventure Mode somewhere? This is literally the very last thing I need to ensure 100% completion (bar having to pay for online to complete a whole page of challenges... not sure how I feel about that) and it's driving me nuts that I can't find it.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
has anyone spotted kid dracula as a stage hazard yet

i complelty forgot he was shown in the smash direct as one
It's been confirmed that it's just the shadow. He never actually appears, which is a damn shame since Kid Dracula is one of my favorite GB games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Please help
I feel my insides shutting down
I only have 25 Spirits left to collect, and I know 23 of them are Fighter Spirits (so Classic Mode for main fighters, and the shop for the rest), 1 is Klaptrap from doing a challenge with K. Rool, but the very last one is Gold Mario and I've run into a conundrum.

To Summon it, I have all the required cores except for Fire Flower. I USED to have a Fire Flower, but I used it to summon Koume and Kotake. But now, even though Fire Flower is just a Novice Support Spirit, I can't get one to appear, no matter how many times I use 'All Support' items in the Spirit Board. I've gone through like 40 and it won't show up.

Is Fire Flower locked to Adventure Mode somewhere? This is literally the very last thing I need to ensure 100% completion (bar having to pay for online to complete a whole page of challenges... not sure how I feel about that) and it's driving me nuts that I can't find it.
I often find Fire Flower in the World of Light stores, specifically the Timmy and Tommy one, which is luckily the quickest one to unlock

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
So yesterday i got my ass handed to me by a Yoshi so hard my boi Roy looked like a C tier. He finally got the buffs i see.

Edit: Ok, now i know how Kirby felt. Only me here...

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
On a serious talk, what 3rd Party DLC characters would you rank on a Joker-tier level in terms of pipe dream/shock/impossible value?
Master Chief, any Valve character (Freeman would be more shocking due to Half-Life's dormant status), Sub-Zero/Scorpion, any Sony character, any Blizzard character.

Get any of those in Smash and it would be truly shocking. However, I think a Valve character is the most unlikely of pipedreams ever from a video game perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom