• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh yes, just look at the fear in his eyes...
View attachment 182915

I get the feeling there’s a hint of hyperbole in that statement, just a smidge.
It's called being paralyzed with fear, happens with major traumas
On a serious talk, what 3rd Party DLC characters would you rank on a Joker-tier level in terms of pipe dream/shock/impossible value?
Dante and Shanoa for me

Noipoi

Howdy!
So, uh, I justed cleared 9.9 intensity on classic mode for the second time. On accident.

I just thought "hey I'd kind of like to learn how to play Incineroar for a second time, I guess I'll go goof around and experiment with him on classic mode" and next thing I knew I was beating the snot out of a pair of giant floating hands on 9.8 intensity.

Incineroar confirmed OP. /s
He's a beast and I love him for it. I like characters who hit hard, and it feels like he was made for me.

Now if only he wasn't useless the moment he gets too far from the stage...

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I like how characters yell before ****ing exploding into confetti in Stamina
It’s kinda weird how in stamina, when characters get knocked out, they straight up just die.

Like seriously. Some of them have serious thousand-yard stares going on, it’s kinda creepy.

D

Deleted member

So, uh, I justed cleared 9.9 intensity on classic mode for the second time. On accident.

I just thought "hey I'd kind of like to learn how to play Incineroar for a second time, I guess I'll go goof around and experiment with him on classic mode" and next thing I knew I was beating the snot out of a pair of giant floating hands on 9.8 intensity.

Incineroar confirmed OP. /s
Incineroar is really fun.

Until you get thrown off the stage and you have a bad time.

My Incineroar is really bad. :c

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
On a serious talk, what 3rd Party DLC characters would you rank on a Joker-tier level in terms of pipe dream/shock/impossible value?
2B, Master Chief, any SNK rep (Kyo or Terry pls), and Nathan Drake to name a few.

D

Deleted member

Theme song of my life right here. /s

That's the best thing about Nintendo lol.

They're in full leak protection mode right now and we're witnessing some fantastic 5D chess plays.
This is where I was very skeptical going into all these insiders like Vergeben and Hitagi being so ****ing gung-ho on DLC and stuff like Granblue and a 2nd Square character, because we ain't talking about the base roster anymore. We're talking about more fighters that you're gonna pay $24.99 more with. You'd think with these five characters, the dev team would have extra care going into this DLC cycle.

I'll say this, the current model for Smash Ultimate is WAY better than the previous one, if you ask me. The fighter bundle for Smash For is $41.93 (for both versions) and the stage bundle is $14.45, rounding to almost $60.

We're paying all of the DLC content for $24.99. Now THAT'S that good ****.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ryu Hayabusa, Master Chief, and maybe a retro character.

EDIT: an obligatory goku/luffy/yugi

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is where I was very skeptical going into all these insiders like Vergeben and Hitagi being so ****ing gung-ho on DLC and stuff like Granblue and a 2nd Square character, because we ain't talking about the base roster anymore. We're talking about more fighters that you're gonna pay $24.99 more with. You'd think with these five characters, the dev team would have extra care going into this DLC cycle.

I'll say this, the current model for Smash Ultimate is WAY better than the previous one, if you ask me. The fighter bundle for Smash For is $41.93 (for both versions) and the stage bundle is $14.45, rounding to almost $60.

We're paying all of the DLC content for $24.99. Now THAT'S that good ****.
I was really happy to see it all in a reasonably priced season pass. Nintendo's been so on top with DLC lately. Splatoon, Xenoblade, BotW and Smash all offer a crazy amount of content for what you're paying and that's really neat.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m just happy that Verge, Hitagi, and every insider/leaker is full of BS so we can full on speculate now unless there’s people still defending them about how they got their info wrong or something.

Thanks Joker!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think the only thing about Poochy for me is that he's horrifying in Super Mario Odyssey. The more realistic the cartoon graphics get the scarier those big ole duck lips of get.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Oh boy Poochy posting!!!

Poochy is probably my most wanted first party character at this point (which honestly says how good the roster is already haha). I feel he could be an Isabelle situation, where people might be skeptical at first but wins almost everyone over with overwhelming cuteness.

I just like a good mix of series and cutesy stuff in smash, for example metal gear and Animal Crossing are my favorite franchises in smash. There are so many widely different styles from franchises but I love that they can interact in one game.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know, I was actually surprised Yoshi could sweat regularly...

Because dinosaur :yoshi:
That reminds me of this concept I came up with.

The basic idea is that there are several subspecies of Yoshi that resemble different dinosaurs.
yoshi subspecies.png

I call em Stretch, Pokey, and Flaps.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m just happy that Verge, Hitagi, and every insider/leaker is full of BS so we can full on speculate now unless there’s people still defending them about how they got their info wrong or something.

Thanks Joker!
>Verg
>full of BS

1529996675157.jpg

I wouldn't say "full" if not the idea of misinformation considering the fact that he got most things entirely right. Verg isn't getting his info from his own findings like he's going Metal Gear Solid sneaking into Nintendo HQ, he's just getting e-mails and whatever else from whoever claims to be a source. And he got a golden ticket on someone somewhere. To deny this would show a heavily strong bias so powerful you ignore literally everything else to debunk his claims just for the sake of debunking them. Not unless you wanna pull the "he just got lucky" ticket.

The basic idea is that there are several subspecies of Yoshi that resemble different dinosaurs.
View attachment 182919

Pokey's already a Mario enemy. Copyright claimed.

Last edited:

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how drastically the difficulty changed when it comes to unlocking characters since the latest update? Not gonna lie, I was kinda looking forward to the challenge.

D

Deleted member

Thanks Joker!
I mean, SE character could still happen.

I have a feeling Verge was most likely speculating when he said "They're the first ones". Honestly, though, insiders should never, ever be 100% trusted. Insider info like theirs is rarely 100% perfect all the time. Misinformation happens and will happen, so while I feel it's good to keep their info in mind, it should never be 100% unquestioned.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

View attachment 182919

*swoon*

And yes, there are other dinosaurs on Dinosaur Island in Super Mario World, but I don't think any of them are related to my boi :yoshi:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Excuse me, but I only deal with duelers who made $100,000,000 in a day.

Either that or Pegasus. You want Kaiba or Yugi Boy? You know both are the correct routes.
I'd say Kaiba echo but he's too tall and skinny

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

View attachment 182919

*Pushes up glasses*
Pterosaurs are technically not dinosaurs. However they are closely related.

....Sorry, had to let that out of my system. Carry on.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But this is Yu-Gi-Oh we're talking about and rules are thrown out the ****ing window, he's getting in for sure.
nah just make him the isabelle and make everyone salty that anime got two unique characters

D

Deleted member

nah just make him the isabelle and make everyone salty that anime got two unique characters
Or just fast-forward to a thousand years where while Sakurai is long gone, we now have the ability to add anime characters because y'know, literally what are rules and ****ing magic.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
That's because "deserving" is the MOST subjective thing. I think Banjo deserves it but look around at all the people who think Steve deserves it.
Sorry for being late to the convo, but I hate how "deserves" became such a buzzword in the community. Why can't some people use the term synonymously with the phrase, "This character has earned the right to be in Smash. I don't think they're in, but the potential is there."?

I was wondering, did Piranha Plant being included in Smash give anyone else any hope for their weird/obscure character requests? At first I was ready to give up all hope for a certain character I wanted, but after Piranha Plant was revealed I had a bit more hope about it. Not by much, though, but it made me realize that there's more flexibility in character choices than I thought.
BTW I'm not going to mention who the character is that I want, because I feel like just mentioning her name might start a commotion.
Hello there! A belated welcome to the Boards! Figured I would quote you here and immediately call you out on your Most-Wanted. That's right, I've cracked the code!

Time to out your bronze medal controversial Smash pick!

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 1.20.49 AM.png

You thought it was going to be a witty subversion of your expectations, but you were bamboozled!
Smug_Archer.jpg

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Or just fast-forward to a thousand years where while Sakurai is long gone, we now have the ability to add anime characters because y'know, literally what are rules and ****ing magic.
You're implying that we won't get the Sakur-AI 9000 machine protocol in 2037 so Sakurai can live forever.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I was browing the SSBwiki and everything was fine and good but I when I looked at Ness's page, something seemed off.....

Untitled.png

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me, but I only deal with duelers who made $100,000,000 in a day.

Either that or Pegasus. You want Kaiba or Yugi Boy? You know both are the correct routes.
Broke: Wanting Yugi/Kaiba/Pegasus

Woke: Wanting Dark Magician/Blue-Eyes/Kuriboh

BESPOKE: G R A N D P A M O T O
tbh though I could see Konami pushing for a Yu-Gi-Oh Rep as a sort of exchange for Snake and the Belmonts. also I low-key want dark magician

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If we're referring to characters that have a chance, but face odds against an overwhelmingly-large amount of people supporting that character's competition within a certain scope, it would be my number 1 right here:
__kos_mos_and_kos_mos_re_xenoblade_series_and_etc_drawn_by_goo_goo789__76aa763aa609110a6bdb84b...jpg

Granted, I believe her odds of being playable are way better than what her detractors would have you believe, but it can't be denied that Lloyd and Heihachi's groups are very loud and vocal. Their picks could go about the same way that Ridley and K.Rool did, so I'm always keeping my expectations low just in case. Ironically enough though, 4 of my other picks have pretty reasonable chances on their own since they lack the same uphill battle she faces. Dante, Arturia, Reimu, and 2B all have solid justifications of getting in pretty easy, since they are all quite popular and have games in the current gen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're implying that we won't get the Sakur-AI 9000 machine protocol in 2037 so Sakurai can live forever.
Oh boy, can't wait for the videos of that in 2037.

Sakurai DESTROYS Any Anime Fans Hopes BOTH in Smash AND REAL LIFE (DOES HE NOT DIE?!?)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Me personally, I'd say Dante or Mega Man X. Ryu Hayabusa would make a lot of sense, if you know about gaming history, so he'd be less "shocking" but would still be a dream character through and through.

Scorpion/Sub-Zero would break the internet too I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom