• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So far there have only been two songs in this game that when I hear them, I get really excited about them and the match about to happen. The “Lost in Thoughts All Alone” instrumental (I’m surprised by how much I like that one) and “One of a Kind”. I was kind of expecting more, though. *shrug emoji* Oh well. : P

What are the songs that get you hyped for a match and really feeling it when they come on?
That's me with EVERY SINGLE CASTLEVANIA SONG.

I've played Dracula's Castle a lot for that reason.

Those and the Peace Walker theme once those instrumentals kick in I lose my ****.
Just listen to it OHHH SO GOOD.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm pretty sure Verge mentioned he doesn't entirely trust his source saying to discount Geno and feels it may be biased.

Basically can you do me a solid favor Mega Bid and analyze Geno for me because I'm bored and would love to read it.
Yeah ok I can do that.

First, I’ll say my actual belief on Geno, which is something I’m sure you’ve heard a lot: he’s a spirit, so I don’t think he will be a DLC Fighter. Instead of stopping there, I’ll explain why I believe Spirits won’t be made playable.

I firmly believe that the DLC characters were decided AT LEAST a few months ago, and were at least discussed for a few months beforehand. I think this is proven by the Joker trailer. That thing has GORGEOUS animation, and as an animator myself, I can tell you that **** takes time. I’m going to say that thing had AT LEAST a month and a half’s work at the minimum, but probably even more. Joker has been planned for months, and I’m sure the same goes for the other characters. While they may have not began actually developing them since the base game went gold, Sakurai and his team definitely knew who they would be, which is also evident by Verg potentially knowing about a SE DLC rep since the summer.

Sakurai is a big fan of consistency. This is easily seen in the changes made to Link. Now that Link is his BotW incarnation, his bombs are changed to remote bombs, and his hook/claw shot grab (which he has had for four games) has been removed simply because Link never got the item in BotW. In addition, there is no costume for the Ocarina or Twilight Link of past games, probably just because they don’t have remote bombs.

Sakurai already had his system for Fighter Spirits in the game. Yes, playable characters have Spirits, but they can’t be equipped and don’t do anything. I’m very confident that if Sakurai knew who was going to be DLC, he would make it a note NOT to have them as a spirit as it would complicate things later on and lead to inconsistency.
You could argue “But Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 and became DLC,” but I have two points against that:
1. The DLC wasn’t as well planned for Smash 4 and they probably didn’t know exactly who would be in beforehand, and the DLC was kinda of trickled out over time. In Ultimate they were confident in announcing the number of characters and the timeframe of release over a month before the base game even launched.
2. According to Sakurai, trophies took a while to develop. He’d probably be much more hesistant to cut a trophy someone worked on than what is essentially a PNG file that gives you certain modifiers.

Because of all of this, I am VERY CONFIDENT that the characters we have represented as spirits WILL NOT be made playable as DLC.

However, I’ll still toss you a bone and answer your original question.

If Geno wasn’t a spirit in the game, I’d be looking at him the same way I’m looking at Crono and Sephiroth: a fan-favorite that was deemed highly unlikely ages ago for various reasons that would surprise in a similar to Joker.

I guess I’d also put Sora in that same category to a lesser extent, although I also ignored him from the list because Verg said he wasn’t happening.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
The only true theory:
You're all wrong. Always. If you guess a character, you're wrong.

Also, if they make it in, they're always obvious. 100%. Always. Without question.

Thanks for watching, be sure to like comment subscribe, and smaAAaaAaAaAsh that bell button
I said this yesterday and was attacked by a special user who makes his/her texts green. Haha

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I said this yesterday and was attacked by a special user who makes his/her texts green. Haha
While I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about, just be sure that people do that here to try and seem cooler to the rest of us who just don't care ;p

Persona Q2 is a thing.
I was going to say that too, until I read "strong" Nintendo connection.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If they're all "unexpected", then that in theory rules out Banjo and Steve.

Ergo,
View attachment 182405
Who we givin our invitation to?
Fulgore. Iconic Rare character, from a fighting game, and he has awesome music.

Hoping that no Zelda character ends up bottom/low tier for once. But man, I wonder how crazy the tier will look when it comes out, based on size and the usual.
Sheik will probably still be pretty decent at least. Young Link has some promise to him. I'm hoping Ganon goes up a spot or two.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
What are the songs that get you hyped for a match and really feeling it when they come on?
Haven't played Ultimate yet, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't one for many people...

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Sakurai stated that the DLC won't include echo fighters, but even still, don't you dare put that curse on us.
Hasn't Sakurai only said there won't be Echoes in the Fighter Pass? They're still on the table for Seprate releases like the Mii Costumes.

If we're done with them though, I'm gonna be dissapointed with how few we got. And how one of them was wasted on :ultdarksamus:.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
I've compiled two lists of some of the likeliest dlc characters in my opinion, which dlc lineup would be the best?

1-Joker
2-Gen 8 Pokemon
3-Banjo
4-DQ rep
5-Crash

or

1-Joker
2-Steve
3-Sylux
4-Edelgard
5-Sephiroth

The true answer is neither. None of these characters are Sans, therefore they are trash.
Very debatable. It would depend on what the Gen 8 Pokemon is? Usually a fan with ones with interesting concept and not normal designs(Typically not cutesy but it depends). If I don't like the pokémon then I choose the second option. Sylux seems cool and I played Minecraft when I was a kid so that would be fun as well.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Try background matchmaking. From my experience, 'quickplay' quite literally means they'll try and find the quickest route to a game, preferred rules be damned. It's only anecdotal, but background matchmaking has been 100% reliable to me so far.
Tried that still getting these stupid party matches most of the time.

This is incredibly frustrating why make it like this?

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There's literally no way Joker will play like any other character on the roster. Sakurai would have to be incredibly uncreative for that to happen.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Hasn't Sakurai only said there won't be Echoes in the Fighter Pass? They're still on the table for Seprate releases like the Mii Costumes.

If we're done with them though, I'm gonna be dissapointed with how few we got. And how one of them was wasted on :ultdarksamus:.
Why Dark Samus, she's the most important Metroid villain after Ridley. She truly deserves to have her legacy in Smash in some way.

I like Daisy more than Peach in Ultimate so far, but of the echos, she's obviously the least important in the grand scheme of gaming/her series.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Nintendo created a grand list of characters they considered negotiable and relevant (really grand) and Sakurai went nuts with it.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
They're in all the persona games.
Look, even if that's a demon design, it's called a shadow.

Like demons are the things that want to eat your brains.
shadows are the the physical representation of the darkness that lies within man's hearts.
Weren't demons or something at least in Persona 1 and 2?

I thought that the main enemies were different in the pre-3 Personas.

D

Deleted member

I was going to say that too, until I read "strong" Nintendo connection.
I mean, Q2 was sitting at the top of Famitsu's Most Anticipated list for months, and it's a 3DS exclusive. I'd say that's a fairly strong connection.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Why Dark Samus, she's the most important Metroid villain after Ridley. She truly deserves to have her legacy in Smash in some way.

I like Daisy more than Peach in Ultimate so far, but of the echos, she's obviously the least important in the grand scheme of gaming/her series.
We already got another Metroid character this game. I would've preferred to see a little more diversity. If given the chance, I would swap her out for any of the many Meta Knight clones.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Nah, he'll be a Duck Hunt echo...

I've not played a lot of Persona lol
his up special is Arsene clutching onto Joker with his feet and flapping back up towards the stage

EDIT:

He does have wings, after all.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We already got another Metroid character this game. I would've preferred to see a little more diversity. If given the chance, I would swap her out for any of the myriad Meta Knight clones.
Eh. They're not all that important in the grand scheme of Kirby. They'd be an echo just to echo and give Kirby a newcomer in my opinion.

And that's lame.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Y'all talking Kirby Echos and not one mention of my boy Gooey?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Try background matchmaking. From my experience, 'quickplay' quite literally means they'll try and find the quickest route to a game, preferred rules be damned. It's only anecdotal, but background matchmaking has been 100% reliable to me so far.
I usually still get free for all's even when I use background matchmaking. It's infuriating.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I usually still get free for all's even when I use background matchmaking. It's infuriating.
Like I'm trying to get good at my boys :ultkrool::ultincineroar: But I keep getting wrapped up in garbage party matches.

Why is it this bad?

D

Deleted member

I'm not great either. I keep trying to do things above my skill level and my hands are really bad at the "controller dance" as I like to call it when I'm "too" into the game.
I know how you feel, ha ha. I find myself getting ahead of myself in fights and straight up forgetting to press a button or misinputting. Inkling is taking time to get used to, but I'm getting there. Splat Bombs and NAir are giving me problems right now, and I'm trying to practice strategies with Roller as that's one of their best and most reliable kill setups.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Like I'm trying to get good at my boys :ultkrool::ultincineroar: But I keep getting wrapped up in garbage party matches.

Why is it this bad?
It's honestly unacceptable. The online in 4 was significantly better. They screwed up big time there. Especially considering we have to pay for it now.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
It's honestly unacceptable. The online in 4 was significantly better. They screwed up big time there.
Yeah I'm getting really upset, because I bought the DLC pass and everything and now I have to put up with goobers.

Like... seriously now, it is the current year, this shouldn't be like this.

Also is no one playing 1-on-1?

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Joker's obviously™ gonna play like Peach.
Nah, all those pictures people are drawing of Kirby and Joker together is actually a subtle hint that he's a Kirby echo.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I dunno, separate Echo Fighter DLC just sounds weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom