• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So now that i’m on my way home, heading back to play some more Smash I figure i’ll put my thoughts out there on everything.

First of all, the game. Ultimate is legitimately everything I could have asked for and more. Personal 10/10.

Second, the lovely surprise of Joker from Persona 5. To be honest I kinda knew from the start of the trailer that it was going to be Nintendo related. As soon as I heard “invitation”, I kinda figured.

Having never played Persona 5, I thought this was a stellar pick. It’s a GOTY nominee release, and i’ve heard fantastic things. I own the game but haven’t started it yet. To keep up with the tradition I have going, I have to now. I still have to play a Castlevania game, so that just adds to the backlog is all.

Well, now onto expectations. Not everyone predicted there would be a DLC trailer, and it turned out they did what I thought they would with just a promo trailer and no gameplay. Based on the Persona art style, I thought this was a great choice. It’s also a game that all gamers recognize, or at least those in the audience would have heard of.

Basically, having no experience with Persona 5 or the series in general, I have to go with 8/10-10/10 pick. Congrats to the fans who wanted him but lost hope (looking at you DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon )!

Furthermore, there’s a few things to consider with DLC going forward. Some of us have tried to place rules upon what to expect, and I think at this point I won’t be trusting any leaks until the people have evidence to support what they say. Knowing Verg and Hitagi are basically done is nice as well, because it allows the fans who love to speculate to feel a little more bold or open minded with their choices.

Frankly, I don’t even know if I trust the Square Enix character anymore.

What I love most of all is that even after 76 characters, Sakurai still proves he can’t be predicted. Now obviously Nintendo had some influence in this picks in particular, but I still think it’s worth noting that there is absolutely strategy going on with these picks. If Nintendo did select Joker themselves, then there’s most likely going to be some sort of presence of Persona 5 on Switch, which is great.

This all said, it’s going to be tough for anybody to guess what we’ll be getting. Having played World of Light and this game in general, I can’t help but feel like a Monster Hunter has a reasonable shot at being playable. Call it a hunch (and not the fact that my spine is crooked), but I find the presence of a Rathalos by itself is...weird. I’m not even passing this on those datamine leaks that weren’t even correct. It’s just a hunch that’s probably wrong, in fact.

Another aspect I think we may be seeing is an expansion of the crossover. This is getting crazy to the point that there’s like, around 20 game worlds getting mashed together. Why not keep going?

I will also throw this out there: while Joker himself doesn’t confirm it, I simply thing we’re mostly going to see 3rd parties as DLC. This isn’t to say Spirits are disconfirmations, mainly because I don’t think there’s a connection (as in Spirits weren’t made because “we’re not adding any of these 1300 png.files as playable characters” sounds ridiculous).

So potentially:
Joker
Lloyd Irving
Crash Bandicoot
Monster Hunter
Wild Card Pick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm going to ask: Which game's artwork do they use for the reference with the Spirit? Because if it's Peace Walker it's just an unfortunate coincidence, but if it's Ground Zero... Yeah...
I got that spirit not too long ago and it played the Peace Walker music, so it most likely was referencing Peace Walker.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, I'm going to ask: Which game's artwork do they use for the reference with the Spirit? Because if it's Peace Walker it's just an unfortunate coincidence, but if it's Ground Zero... Yeah...
It looks like a schoolgirl outfit so I assume PW, haven't played Ground Zeroes but I doubt she'd wear that after the true ending of PW

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Though you're also ignoring that she's a **** victim. That's how the bomb got up there in the first place.
Well yeah, but that'd also be ignoring every other MGS character.
Like Big Boss recruits child soldiers and Ocelot tortures people for entertainment.
It's a reference, nothing more or less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Peace Walker, I checked.

My thoughts on all this? I mean it’s nearly 3 in the morning where I am so I don’t wanna get into some huge drama, but I can see why people are upset about it. I’m not gonna lie though, I did chuckle when I first saw it.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Potentially offending an entire race is quite different than potentially offending the one or two people on the planet who had a bomb shoved up into them.
I’m sorry but you’re talking about a character that is a **** victim. Fictional or not, it doesn’t matter because a topic like that shouldn’t be taken lightly under any circumstance.

ThrowawayBoi

Banned via Warnings
I think Paz is supposed to referenced Peace Walker considering she wields it to use it on someone and not Ground Zeroes because that is INCREDIBLY ****ed up
even if it referenced PW they shouldve taken that into consideration when designing her effect. id argue it still isnt ok

LetterO

Smash Lord
So my preferred rules are a FFA Stock Match with Items and Hazards off.

Obviously the game's great system matchmakes me into a Stamina FFA with Items and Hazards On

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
IGN's Reggie Interview pertaining to Sakurai and Joker. http://mobitechinfo.com/nintendo-says-persona-5s-joker-is-emblematic-of-smash-bros/

"It’s emblematic of the approach that Mr. Sakurai and the team are taking with the DLC. He wants characters that are unique, different, to bring them into the Smash Bros. environment. So it’s going to be tremendously exciting. "

"Does this imply a Persona 5 port?"
“You know, I can’t comment on that. Again, from our perspective, we’ve been clear. We want all the best content on our platform. All the best content, all the best developers. And so our job is to continue growing the install base for Nintendo Switch to drive engagement of our players, to grow the audience. As that happens, then developers see the opportunity.”
p5 switch here we come boys
hey y'all
i need your insider info

which character is the next obvious character
you guys know everything ahead of time right?
joker's butt buddy goro akechi
The moment I see a ****ing Spirit for Ann in her Panther outfit when Joker comes out, I don't know what I'm gonna feel.

Probably beyond what expanding can be capable of, that's for sure.
yeah but there might be a spirit for kawakami or sae
“Enhanced version”

do these include romancing Ryuji bc I would quite like that
no. only ryuji's mom
This.

As someone who was anti-Isabelle (and is now extremely anti-Isabelle after having to fight her a couple times; hope you people are happy), the debate was always whether or not Sakurai would look past the fact she doesn't belong on the battlefield solely because of her mascot status. There were arguments for both sides.

No one really debated on Joker. Whenever he was brought up, it was always in context of some fans expressing how they'd like to see him. Literally no one argued that he had a strong chance except Shish it seems.
i argued it a few times

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
So my preferred rules are a FFA Stock Match with Items and Hazards off.

Obviously the game's great system matchmakes me into a Stamina FFA with Items and Hazards On
Preferred rules seems to be broken.

D

Deleted member

Man, ya'll gonna flip when I tell you about Metal Face making fun of Fiora's death.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
How many amiibo can be used in the game's offline Tourney mode? Is it possible to do a tourney with 32 amiibo?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
even if it referenced PW they shouldve taken that into consideration when designing her effect. id argue it still isnt ok
I agree. Ultimate seems to have had a lot of unfortunate oversights tbh, Game and Watch's feather and the Tac Spirit come to mind (Tac steals **** and they had a Villager costume represent it and it was one that was made black). Kind of like how some unfortunate stuff made me enjoy Deadpool 2 a lot less than I would have

ThrowawayBoi

Banned via Warnings
Man, ya'll gonna flip when I tell you about Metal Face making fun of Fiora's death.
meh. **** is almost as bad as murder even worse in certain instances. not to mention weve all been desensitized to murder by the media im sure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys , i got a "Model ZX" Spirit
He has this power "Transformation Duration UP"

Whats this power?
It's not for Final Smashs becouse i tested it.
Is there a character that uses transformations?
It's for things like Metal, Giant, etc.
They'll last longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
So, any particular reason why WoL is getting mixed reactions? Most of what I've seen of it looks dope.
I think it's down to people's patience and ability to tolerate "tedium".

If one considers the 300-odd Spirit battles you need to do tedious, then they won't like WoL. If you don't mind it or like it, then WoL is fun.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ok yeah what the **** is up with that then?
Again, I believe Ultimate's team REALLY should have thought multiple things through here as there's too much unfortunate **** like this. They DO have jokes relating to character death, as hitting Limit Cross Slash unlocks a picture mimicking Cloud holding Aerith's corpse in the water and as you said, Fiora's death. But obviously with every joke there's a line

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Is her death even connected to the ****? If so, that makes it a big difference.
Well, the whole thing is that typically the act of it itself is used for domination and breaking someone. It’s not about getting laid, but to have dominance.

The other piece of the character is that you could look at it as some sort of semblance of the act being done to a character whose name is Paz or “peace”. To then have a bomb placed inside of her in that part of her body makes it even more of a punishment.

Now, while i’m not someone who is a victim of that particular act, and therefore I can’t entirely speak to the topic, I would at least suggest to consider that when it was made it was very likely not seen as a joke. It may be rose tinted glasses, but maybe look at it as Paz having a second chance and using that which ended her originally for something good now?

If you get into the details it seems cringey and I would agree. But she did indeed get killed with a bomb, location of it be damned.

I see why there’s frustrations, but I also think there’s a conversation to be had. Not that **** is ok or anything like that. But this form of representation and what not I mean.

D

Deleted member

Well, the whole thing is that typically the act of it itself is used for domination and breaking someone. It’s not about getting laid, but to have dominance.

The other piece of the character is that you could look at it as some sort of semblance of the act being done to a character whose name is Paz or “peace”. To then have a bomb placed inside of her in that part of her body makes it even more of a punishment.

Now, while i’m not someone who is a victim of that particular act, and therefore I can’t entirely speak to the topic, I would at least suggest to consider that when it was made it was very likely not seen as a joke. It may be rose tinted glasses, but maybe look at it as Paz having a second chance and using that which ended her originally for something good now?

If you get into the details it seems cringey and I would agree. But she did indeed get killed with a bomb, location of it be damned.

I see why there’s frustrations, but I also think there’s a conversation to be had. Not that **** is ok or anything like that. But this form of representation and what not I mean.
Why did you need to explain to me what **** is about? That wasn't even my question.

KMDP

Smash Legend
cool
Regarding the PAC-MAN thing.

It's interesting that they chose to include the Katamari Prince and Heihachi into his taunt, with what I assume are custom-made sprites.

...But then they didn't go ahead and use the one that is really obvious and easy to include while they were at it.
Talking about this guy right here
I mean, it's right there, ready to be used, and fits with the other sprites.

Call me crazy, but I think we might get Agumon as DLC...

ThrowawayBoi

Banned via Warnings
the whole thing is that typically the act of it itself is used for domination and breaking someone. It’s not about getting laid, but to have dominance.
depends tbh. sometimes its for dominance yah. but its usually because the rapist is a filthy slimy ****ing waste of oxygen that cant get laid because nobody can be bothered to love them

LetterO

Smash Lord
I think Paz is supposed to referenced Peace Walker considering she wields it to use it on someone and not Ground Zeroes because that is INCREDIBLY ****ed up
Hey yeah so guys I don't think its a reference to her being ***** since it looks like it's Paz in her look from Peace Walker.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Its actually kinda cool that you get to drive in Pico's ship when you're at the racetrack... I'm honestly glad that they actually put the effort to put that in and not make it something kinda generic like Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom