• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Note to everyone: if you're ever.looking for a 1-v-1 online, background matchmaking is the way to go. Quickplay has dumped me into an FFA every time, while background matchmaking always gives me my preferred ruleset.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Joker, Richter, Link, Roy, Marth, Shulk, MCorrin, etc.

Sakurai there are too many cute guys in this game i cant handle it :love:
I don't want to ramble about how many cute guys are in the game... but I certainly can.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
They're both taller than me. What the ****.
Then you’re too short. :4pacman:

My thoughts are the opposite, like 5’9 isn’t that tall since I’m surrounded by a ton of freshman and sophomores either reach or past that.

My parents think the next generation are mutants because of that.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know, I'm still having to readjust myself to the fact that we're not speculating on what music Persona would have if it was added, but what music it probably will have.
Welcome to the simultaneously worst and best timeline.

We had to sacrifice the presidency to get this amazing game.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
You think now DLC Characters will be from less know games? since they used Joker as first announcement in such a big event...
Absolutely not. I do think it would have made more sense from a marketing perspective to say the first DLC character was a beloved Nintendo character, and really drive home those sales of Switch consoles to people who still do not own one *cough* like myself *cough*...

On the flipside, the pick of Joker makes me think P5 is coming to Switch, (similar to what happened when Final Fantasy 7 and other FF titles were announced for 2019 release on Switch, which i believe explains how Cloud got in Smash 4) One could argue that P5 on the Switch may also drive up consoles sales in it's own way (the prospective buyer knowing they love Nintendo and JRPG games not having to make a tough decision between Sony and Nintendo, should Nintendo continue picking up more JRPG franchises that are viewed as Sony exclusives)

The question becomes then, does the entirety of DLC specifically be related to games that "will never come to Nintendo consoles"? I don't think that will be the case 100 percent, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting one or two more DLC choices with a similar business decision mindset in this first batch.

However, I say this and yet we never got a Metal Gear game on the Wii or Wii U even after Snake was included in Brawl...so i'm not even completely confident in my own speculation.

I still think promoting Fire Emblem Three Houses is on the table for DLC. Not much news has been on the horizon about the game since the initial reveal, and perhaps a Smash DLC character would really inject a ton of interest that even an article about new gameplay features wouldn't be able to generate.

Untouch

Smash Master
The fact that Joker isn't on the site to me tells me that they don't even have a render yet. The character likely is VERY early in development, if he's even started development at all.

D

Deleted member

So if a PSASBR 2 somehow happens, do you think Joker could get into that game as well?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So Joker is in reality just a really goth teenager who’s trying to be menacing and cool?
It's more that in the real world he's a kind and pretty gentle guy, though he has a snarky side, but because he was framed and arrested for something he didn't do, he has a strong desire for justice and distaste for corrupt authority that when in the Metaverse (a parallel world created by one's subconscious) he becomes the "Phantom Thief" Joker - a picaresque vigilante.

He's a really cool character. The thing about the Persona protagonists is that they aren't technically silent, they just have a few ways of reacting to situations that you can choose, each of which reflects their personality.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's more that in the real world he's a kind and pretty gentle guy, though he has a snarky side, but because he was framed and arrested for something he didn't do, he has a strong desire for justice and distaste for corrupt authority that when in the Metaverse (a parallel world created by one's subconscious) he becomes the "Phantom This" - a picaresque vigilante.

He's a really cool character. The thing about the Persona protagonists is that they aren't technically silent, they just have a few ways of reacting to situations that you can choose, each of which reflects their personality.
Unless you are Boy with Earring. He's really a non-entity.

So if a PSASBR 2 somehow happens, do you think Joker could get into that game as well?
No, you'll get Mona.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The fact that Joker isn't on the site to me tells me that they don't even have a render yet. The character likely is VERY early in development, if he's even started development at all.
yeah my guess is the DLC really is early in development. Anything past simply hearing about "negotiations" for a character ,or something to that effect, is likely fake at this point.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
To my (often faulty) knowledge, I think Teddie from Persona 4 was under consideration for PSASBR 1, and with 5 breaking into the gaming mainstream it's pretty likely they'd pick the series up for a sequel.

D

Deleted member

Yeah this really struck me. Pretty much the only acknowledgment that Joker is in is his trailer without any gameplay. My guess is that he’ll be released sometime mid next year. I wonder how they’re gonna get all the characters out by ferbuary though.

On a side note, this means DLC characters can have animated trailers. Neat.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
My take is that they may be saving a more fleshed out trailer and footage for him, in their next direct and the VGA awards was used just to catapult the news into mainstream.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sakurai, creator of the game: “Nintendo has chosen the DLC characters this time around”

Internet speculation man: “I believe Nintendo was not the one responsible of Joker.”
I am gonna end the conversation here. I don't think you will get where I am going at with the full-context deal.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said it best.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
My take is that they may be saving a more fleshed out trailer and footage for him, in their next direct and the VGA awards was used just to catapult the news into mainstream.

Yeah I could see them "showing off joker" in a future nintendo direct, maybe around the time piranha plant gets released or something.

Honestly might be a slow reveal cycle of the rest of the dlc fighters for a while here, piranha plants release, showing joker gameplay, releasing joker could all fill up a large chunk of time... legitimately it might be just that all the way until E3 or something with maybe multiple characters shown off or a big reveal like banjo or something at E3.

clearly getting ahead of myself here lol

D

Deleted member

Betting it right now we're getting the full Joker reveal for the in-between-January-and-E3 Nintendo Direct with another unexpected character reveal.

At this point trying to bet who it will be is futile -- for me, at least. All I can hope is the usual Rex and Geno, if he even has a chance now that the 2nd Square claim got BTFO'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom