• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Cause I don't actually think those appearances were reason for their inclusion :v
Exactly, I doubt Nintendo gives a flying crap.

If they want a popular character, even one that a lot of people won't know, they're not going to let "oh but they didn't even make a tiny appearance on our systems umg" hold them back as if said character is a shill character when they won't sell their systems anyway.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So how does Joker fight? I have 0 knowledge of him and his series...
I have read that he can summon a Persona, given that I don't even know what a Persona is, is he a summoner character?

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Just unlocked Ice Climbers, how the hell are they so strong lol
I ran into Bowser's unlock fight...
And I was absolutely murdered lol. These CPU are getting better.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Joker got in because he's both popular and relevant. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to talk about making gaming history, or Nintendo affiliation, or any other factors in terms of deservedness, you're looking in the wrong direction.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Joker made a miniscule appearance on a Nintendo system so okay yeah let's let him in Smash because we can port his actual big game in the future even though we're basically advertising Sony right now and people who have a PS4 have no reason to buy a Switch if they're interested in Persona."

Are y'all trying to turn Joker into a shill character or something...?
Every character created after Wii is a shill pick, though. /s

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, she's unlocked.

She's really fun to play, but also kinda complicated. She's not that heavy either, I usually favor heavy characters who hit hard.
She's still a ton of fun though, I really wanna get good with her.
Yeah, she's got a learning curve. I'm only just now starting to get the hang of her, but it's gonna take some time before I'm anywhere close to being competent, lol. She is also really fast and light, actually! They also have this weird, Luigi-esque slipperiness to them I like a lot. I keep messing up the input for ink refill, though: For some reason I keep thinking it's Down B when it's Shield B. :p

My favorite moves on her are probably Splat Bombs and her aerials. You can do a lot of crazy stuff with those. Her Up Smash is also pretty bonkers with it's hitbox and early kill potential when the opponent is inked.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, Atlus representation that was needed.
Not really, characters don't need to "rep" companies. Joker got in because of himself and his game.

If they wanted to represent ATLUS so badly, they would've put Jack Frost.

D

Deleted member

Not really, characters don't need to "rep" companies. Joker got in because of himself and his game.

If they wanted to represent ATLUS so badly, they would've put Jack Frost.
Fair enough.

Joker is still dope, doh.

I wanna play Persona 5 but i'm a poor boi with only a Switch.

I still haven't gotten a Piranha Plant email, strange.
Let me check if i did...

Just checked and i haven’t either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Now that I’ve sat on Joker’s reveal and Reggie’s comments for a bit, I’m changing my DLC predictions.

2B or Sora or DQ Rep
Banjo or Steve
Lloyd Irving
Rayman or Crash or Doomguy
Bandanna Dee or Dixie Kong or 1 1st Party

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I have read that he can summon a Persona, given that I don't even know what a Persona is, is he a summoner character?
He can use small knives, a handgun, and persona summoning is basically magic. So he would likely rely mostly on his knife for normals, his gun would likely be one of his specials, and I can see him using his persona for several specials and his Final Smash

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Knife
Gun
Acrobatic flips
Think the "assassin" or "thief" class in other RPGs.

As for his Persona, he can summon a ghost from his body that can attack independent of himself. This "persona" attacks with chains, kicks, and dark magic.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Sakurai tmk actually mentioned that Cloud having at least a small appearance on a Nintendo console was at least a concern for him
I do recall him mentioning but I don't recall him ever claiming it to be a make or break point for their inclusion.

Cloud was HEAVILY requested, that's why he happened, not the small appearances.

I don't even know about Joker maybe his support was bigger than anticipated, but Q2 wasn't the thing that made him possible.

D

Deleted member

Playing the game. I’m not very good at it, but it’s fun. Donkey Kong’s cool.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Melee standard attacks, gun neutral or down special, and I'd expect different summons on the directional specials. The protagonist for Persona is always about having multiple summons.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
I finally unlocked all the characters. It took me the whole afternoon but I did it and now I feel I can enjoy the game how I want to without worrying about having all the characters.

D

Deleted member

I wanna play Persona 5 but i'm a poor boi with only a Switch.

I still haven't gotten a Piranha Plant email, strange.
P5 on Switch has decent odds of happening. Persona Central is reporting that there are rumors going around about a P5 Golden, and there are two Persona domains that are currently unknown in what they are for. Time will tell, but I don't think it's as out there as people think.

I hope you get your code for Piranha Plant soon! Joker may have taken his spot on my list of mains, but I'll still mess around with Plant Boi while I wait for Crime Boi.

osby

Smash Obsessed
P5 on Switch has decent odds of happening. Persona Central is reporting that there are rumors going around about a P5 Golden, and there are two Persona domains that are currently unknown in what they are for. Time will tell, but I don't think it's as out there as people think.
I know it's a shorthand, but it's funny when people call potential Persona 5 ports "Golden", it's a TV term.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have to wonder why some older games like the Persona 2 duology to Persona 4 Golden haven't been ported outside Sony consoles.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I'm waiting until after Christmas to get Smash and a Switch(it's a thing for me to not buy anything for myself a few weeks before Christmas or Birthday). It's going to be a long wait. Hopefully there's a boxing week sale for Switches.

That said though. Joker was a WILD card. :p This makes me even more hopeful for Lloyd or a Tales character in Smash.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So I'm waiting until after Christmas to get Smash and a Switch(it's a thing for me to not buy anything for myself a few weeks before Christmas or Birthday). It's going to be a long wait. Hopefully there's a boxing week sale for Switches.

That said though. Joker was a WILD card. :p This makes me even more hopeful for Lloyd or a Tales character in Smash.
Oof. It’s hard enough for me to wait until after work to play let alone til after Christmas.

Those sweet, sweet first world problems

D

Deleted member

Pretty unrelated, but god the MK11 trailer would be SO MUCH BETTER if they just had no music playing. Let the gore do the talking.

D

Deleted member

Doesn’t Sony own some sort of license on Persona 5?
Nope. It's a lot like how the Tales of series used to work: It's where the franchise started making a name for itself and where it's audience was, so the devs just focused on that console. However, P5 has blown up and I have no doubt Atlus and Sega both will capitalize on that and start putting it on other platforms. If not Switch, I could easily see PC at some point.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
He can use small knives, a handgun, and persona summoning is basically magic. So he would likely rely mostly on his knife for normals, his gun would likely be one of his specials, and I can see him using his persona for several specials and his Final Smash
Knife
Gun
Acrobatic flips
Think the "assassin" or "thief" class in other RPGs.

As for his Persona, he can summon a ghost from his body that can attack independent of himself. This "persona" attacks with chains, kicks, and dark magic.
Melee standard attacks, gun neutral or down special, and I'd expect different summons on the directional specials. The protagonist for Persona is always about having multiple summons.
Thank you.
Do you think they will represent a realistic gun in Smash? If I remember there was a problem with that and Snaske, Right? I can't remember though.

So, is it possible that the summon will fight along him in a similar way as the Ice Climbers? From the introduction video that ghost he summons seems huge though.
Is it possible that the summon happens only during some attacks, like Bayonetta does with the huge punch/foot?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thank you.
Do you think they will represent a realistic gun in Smash? If I remember there was a problem with that and Snaske, Right? I can't remember though.
The guns in P5 are technically airsoft guns. They only shoot real bullets when the characters go into the Metaverse (think of it as another dimension), and it only works that way because the enemies perceive them as real guns.

The game does a better job of explaining it than I am, but that's kind of how it works.

D

Deleted member

The guns in P5 are technically airsoft guns. They only shoot real bullets when the characters go into the Metaverse (think of it as another dimension), and it only works that way because the enemies perceive them as real guns.

The game does a better job of explaining it than I am, but that's kind of how it works.
So Joker is in reality just a really goth teenager who’s trying to be menacing and cool?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I see, so this is why people are still sticking to Edelgard and a Gen 8 pokemon for predictions today. I don't believe they will happen personally.

I mean, I do not think it is baseless. We should not be sticking entirely to Sakurai's words in one specific possible context and consider the possible scenarios that led to Joker in Smash. I believe Nintendo was not the one responsible of Joker, but I will hold on to the possibility that other Nintendo members who are fans of Persona suggested it first before Sakurai, as unlikely as I think the possibility is. I am considering a ton of factors, and that one possibility of Nintendo deciding Joker before Sakurai is in the bottom of totem pole.
Sakurai, creator of the game: “Nintendo has chosen the DLC characters this time around”

Internet speculation man: “I believe Nintendo was not the one responsible of Joker.”

Noipoi

Howdy!
I know Persona's supposed to have awesome music but I don't know any songs from that series, so now when I think of Joker The World Revolving starts playing in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom