• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I just read this article saying we’ll be surprised by the DLC. I honestly don’t know if I could be surprised by anything after PP, unless....

Today I would like to formally kick off the campaign to make a pair of Mario Party dice playable. I’m accepting applications to join the cause.

D

Deleted member

Watched another vid on World of Light, if you take the Sheik route there is a bridge master hand destroys can be fixed if you get a certain spirit which is Bord, Cord and Barst to fix it after thqat you get Jigglypuff the character across the bride still looking for the quickest choice between Marth, Sheik and Villager to get to Greninja
Hey man, not trying to sound rude, but you might wanna put a spoiler tag on that. Some people here don't like to spoiled on WoL content :).

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I just read this article saying we’ll be surprised by the DLC. I honestly don’t know if I could be surprised by anything after PP, unless....

Today I would like to formally kick off the campaign to make a pair of Mario Party dice playable. I’m accepting applications to join the cause.
Joseph Joestar PREDICTS YOU WORDS

We can definitely still be surprised.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I am trying to determine what controller will be best for Smash Ultimate. Some are saying Pro controller, while others say the GameCube controller is best. Finally there are a small group that say the Hori Battle pad is best. Any thoughts on which controller is best for Smash Ultimate?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Ah a fellow Legend of Legaia fan, how great is that game. Shame it didn’t get more sequels past Legaia 2.

I never got passed the first game so idk how the second one is other than various walkthroughs and the two had slightly different fighting styles

I am trying to determine what controller will be best for Smash Ultimate. Some are saying Pro controller, while others say the GameCube controller is best. Finally there are a small group that say the Hori Battle pad is best. Any thoughts on which controller is best for Smash Ultimate?
Most likely gonna use the GameCube as primarily since the feels of the same thing for 17 years feels odd. But I will give the other controllers a chance since they feel more to use comparing to the Wiimotes being difficult at times

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Joycon. Single.

Ok, but seriously, i prefer a Pro Controller, it feels better to me.

D

Deleted member

Single Joycon, go big or go home.I and most of my friends have used and will use GameCube controllers, but that's just because of familiarity. If you're not sure, just try out different ones and see what you like best.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Poke ball plus. /serious

Pro controller doesn't need the gamecube adapter and has 1 extra button. Gamecube controll has 8 direction outings, making it easier to tilt a precise angle.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It honestly comes down to personal preference. You have to get a feel for each controller and see which one fits you best.

For me personally, it's a Pro Controller. But I know a lot of Melee/Smash 4 players would prefer to use the Gamecube controller instead.

It all comes down to which controller you're most comfortable with.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The GameCube controller, IMO, will feel the best (I'll try the Pro controller too). As a tourney goer, disconnecting Pro controllers from multiple set-ups sounds like it could be a big snag. The analog stick does feel amazing on GameCube though. Sometimes old habits die hard.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Plot twist: We get an Assist Trophy promotion as DLC but it's Yuri Kozukata and I have to go through Smash fandom calling a photo-realistic character "anime" to complain about them.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Plot twist: We get an Assist Trophy promotion as DLC but it's Yuri Kozukata and I have to go through Smash fandom calling a photo-realistic character "anime" to complain about them.
At least it's not someone who has fans that will harass Sakurai on Twitter...

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
I liked the feel with the pro controller a lot when I played it at a demo, but I’m also someone who never really came close to feeling comfortable with a GameCube controller. Never had the system, only was able to play Melee when I went to my friends.

So yeah, the Pro feels a tad bit better than playing on the Wiimote...

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

I never got passed the first game so idk how the second one is other than various walkthroughs and the two had slightly different fighting styles

Most likely gonna use the GameCube as primarily since the feels of the same thing for 17 years feels odd. But I will give the other controllers a chance since they feel more to use comparing to the Wiimotes being difficult at times
The second one is slightly different, but overall still the same. It was good, but not as great as the first. I really wish they would remake the game, Legend of Legaia is still my favorite JRPG. Also that final boss fight is insane ha.

Joycon. Single.

Ok, but seriously, i prefer a Pro Controller, it feels better to me.
Single Joycon, go big or go home.I and most of my friends have used and will use GameCube controllers, but that's just because of familiarity. If you're not sure, just try out different ones and see what you like best.
Poke ball plus. /serious

Pro controller doesn't need the gamecube adapter and has 1 extra button. Gamecube controll has 8 direction outings, making it easier to tilt a precise angle.
It honestly comes down to personal preference. You have to get a feel for each controller and see which one fits you best.

For me personally, it's a Pro Controller. But I know a lot of Melee/Smash 4 players would prefer to use the Gamecube controller instead.

It all comes down to which controller you're most comfortable with.
The GameCube controller, IMO, will feel the best (I'll try the Pro controller too). As a tourney goer, disconnecting Pro controllers from multiple set-ups sounds like it could be a big snag. The analog stick does feel amazing on GameCube though. Sometimes old habits die hard.

I see we have a range of opinions on which controller is best. If it helps here is a video I found explaining which one might be better for competitive play.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It'll depend on personal preference, but by GOD do I love the Gamecube controller:
  1. Wired
  2. Mechanical triggers
  3. Uniquely shaped face buttons
  4. octa-gate on the sticks.
  5. actual handles
No other controller has all these features at once and it's a crying shame.
My only gripe about it is the fact that there's no ZL button to go with the ZR button but that's like, a non-issue compared to some controllers that only have two shoulder buttons.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
At least it's not someone who has fans that will harass Sakurai on Twitter...
It's great to have an AT, but I'd love to play as a Fatal Frame character, especially Yuri. That being said, fan-reception probably wouldn't be best.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
While we don't know if Prime 4 will be good yet, Samus returns was a solid game.

Sure it had a few flaws, but it was quite the fun experience, IMO.

Metroid isn't dead yet. It's still alive and kickin'.
I did play Samus Returns, and it doesn't give me confidence that they're moving away from Other M, or the direction Sakamoto wants to take the series, and has wanted to for a long time. Samus Returns' design also doesn't give me much hope for them returning to what fans want from the series. Fast Travel and non-interconnected areas isn't it.

As for Prime 4. We've seen nothing, and there are a million ways it can go, and a million ways it can fail as well. It could look like Federation Force. It could run at 30fps. It could have multiplayer be its' focus. Federation Force was so far off the mark in regards to what Metroid fans wanted, I wonder how far that gap between developer and consumer is right now, and if it's shrinking or widening.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so we get 5 DLC
5 is the number of main line Touhous we got on PC-98.

Mima confirmed.

But wait, 9+8=17
1+7=8

In Touhou 8 you play as a tag team, and you can fight against Reimu and Marisa.

Reimu/Marisa tag team confirmed

Dont mind me, im just trying to meme something up.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I did play Samus Returns, and it doesn't give me confidence that they're moving away from Other M, or the direction Sakamoto wants to take the series, and has wanted to for a long time. Samus Returns' design also doesn't give me much hope for them returning to what fans want from the series. Fast Travel and non-interconnected areas isn't it.

As for Prime 4. We've seen nothing, and there are a million ways it can go, and a million ways it can fail as well. It could look like Federation Force. It could run at 30fps. It could have multiplayer be its' focus. Federation Force was so far off the mark in regards to what Metroid fans wanted, I wonder how far that gap between developer and consumer is right now, and if it's shrinking or widening.
Isn’t Samus Returns kinda like Shadows of Valentia in regards to the fact that most of its design choices were a result of being a remake of an old, weird sequel from early on in the series’ lifespan?

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Samus Return was pretty decent. Not exactly mind blowing but pretty good return to 2D Metroid. It made looking for hidden power up much easier with the scanner, though I kinda wish the map scanner and area scanner are separated. It had a pretty solid battle system, but slightly lack the enemy variety to take full advantage.

The biggest issue I had was being forced to kill all Metroid before I can move on, as it makes progress slightly slow and repetitive.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Isn’t Samus Returns kinda like Shadows of Valentia in regards to the fact that most of its design choices were a result of being a remake of an old, weird sequel from early on in the series’ lifespan?
I would say the lack of inter-connectivity is a deliberate design choice that hurts the game; there are also some level design parts that are just bizarre. The fast travel, at least, contextually, was done better in AM2R (It's not M-A-G-I-C there). I'd also say the tone of the game is completely different from the original, particularly at the end. The game also had some ideas that while executed properly, simply weren't fun.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My biggest issue with Samus Returns is that it neglected some of the things that made Metroid II stand out as much as it did in an attempt to make a more basic Metroid experience. Metroid II had several elements taken straight out of the horror genre and tried to implement them as best as a Gameboy sidescroller could, it's well known that the series was inspired heavily by Alien, and this is the closest it ever got to emulating that feel. It felt like Samus Returns knew its role as the comeback game a little too well, so it opted to take a safer and more conventional route, the overall tone of the game is sort of like if you put Metroid II into Zero Mission, it makes for a perfectly fine Metroid game overall, but not really the most faithful Metroid II remake. It's a shame, because it'd have been fantastic to see the original vision fully realized as it always had a lot of potential.

That and the lack of enemy variety were the only significant faults I found with the game. I can't blame the world design on it, because Metroid II was in itself incredibly linear and segmented, and it's not even something I thought AM2R managed to find a good solution for, because you'd practically have to completely deviate from the game's original structure to get anything like the worlds Metroid is commonly known for.

I personally liked it a lot despite its issues, some of the new things like 360 aiming and the Aeion abilities I ended up liking more than I thought I would, the Scan Pulse was something I was especially worried about until I realized it was just a replacement for bombing every single block in a room (which was always an issue with Metroid II and AM2R due to how big some of the rooms are). I also think it raised the bar when it comes to the 2D games' boss battles, I still don't like the cinematic portions, but I enjoyed how tactical some of the battles felt and how many attacks the bosses had now, I think it was the area where you could most feel how long it had last been since we had a 2D Metroid.

The only worries it leaves me with is for the future of 2D Metroids because of its reportedly poor sales, I'm positive that had it been developed for the Switch it'd have been far more successful, instead it was part of Nintendo's attempt to squeeze out the last few drops that they could out of the 3DS. Hopefully Prime 4 knocks it out of the park, otherwise I'm pretty sure the series is getting put on ice again.

Last edited:

segillav

Smash Apprentice
This is every Classic Mode boss and the characters that fight them that I'm currently aware of. Spoilers obviously.
Master Hand:
Peach
Daisy
Dr. Mario
Samus
Dark Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Fox
Pikachu (fights Mewtwo first)
Pokemon Trainer (fights Mewtwo first)
Pichu
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ness
Lucas
Lucina
Wii Fit Trainer (not entirely sure about this one)
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Cloud
Bowser Jr.
Isabelle

Master Hand & Crazy Hand:
Donkey Kong (on Omega New Donk City instead of Final Destination)
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Ice Climbers
Ike
Chrom
Pit
Sonic

Crazy Hand:
Falco
Ken

Galleom:
K. Rool
Wolf
R.O.B
Snake
Mega Man (as his second to last stage. Mega Man's final stage is against Dr. Mario as a reference to Dr. Wily.)

Dracula:
Luigi
Simon
Richter

Ganon:
Link
Zelda
Young Link

Giga Bowser:
Mario
Captain Falcon

Marx:
Kirby
Inkling
Rosalina

Rathalos:
Yoshi
Marth
Duck Hunt

Characters that don't fight regular bosses:
Bayonetta (Giant Palutena)
Jigglypuff (Giant DK)
Bowser (Mario who after being KO'd turns into Metal Mario with the theme from 64 playing)

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
My biggest issue with Samus Returns is that it neglected some of the things that made Metroid II stand out as much as it did in an attempt to make a more basic Metroid experience. Metroid II had several elements taken straight out of the horror genre and tried to implement them as best as a Gameboy sidescroller could, it's well known that the series was inspired heavily by Alien, and this is the closest it ever got to emulating that feel. It felt like Samus Returns knew its role as the comeback game a little too well, so it opted to take a safer and more conventional route, the overall tone of the game is sort of like if you put Metroid II into Zero Mission, it makes for a perfectly fine Metroid game overall, but not really the most faithful Metroid II remake. It's a shame, because it'd have been fantastic to see the original vision fully realized as it always had a lot of potential.

That and the lack of enemy variety were the only significant faults I found with the game. I can't blame the world design on it, because Metroid II was in itself incredibly linear and segmented, and it's not even something I thought AM2R managed to find a good solution for, because you'd practically have to completely deviate from the game's original structure to get anything like the worlds Metroid is commonly known for.

I personally liked it a lot despite its issues, some of the new things like 360 aiming and the Aeion abilities I ended up liking more than I thought I would, the Scan Pulse was something I was especially worried about until I realized it was just a replacement for bombing every single block in a room (which was always an issue with Metroid II and AM2R due to how big some of the rooms are). I also think it raised the bar when it comes to the 2D games' boss battles, I still don't like the cinematic portions, but I enjoyed how tactical some of the battles felt and how many attacks the bosses had now, I think it was the area where you could most feel how long it had last been since we had a 2D Metroid.

The only worries it leaves me with is for the future of 2D Metroids because of its reportedly poor sales, I'm positive that had it been developed for the Switch it'd have been far more successful, instead it was part of Nintendo's attempt to squeeze out the last few drops that they could out of the 3DS. Hopefully Prime 4 knocks it out of the park, otherwise I'm pretty sure the series is getting put on ice again.
I haven't played it (I played the original for GB though), but my biggest issue with it is that in the original game there was that feel of being alone in an unexplored dangerous planet, while in this game it's like if the Chozo did the work for you and you just need to follow their instructions (such as the liquid that goes down nd reveals new areas, before it was unexplained and it was cooler, now it's a chozo gimmick).

Also (I haven't played the game but I looked at gameplay online out of curiosity) I don't like what they have done to the final part of the game:
the Queen Metroid battle seems very unimpressive, while for example, in AM2R it's very spectacular with the queen breaking the wall behind you and advancing, stealing your movement space and forcing you onto the wall, and in some cases, trying to eat you while you defeat her with missiles from inside her mouth; Very spectacular. Also, the Metroid nest looks meh, in the original game it was one of those surreal locations made of bubbles that suggest that each of those bubbles is an egg, while in the remake it's just a generic cave with some organic stuff around the rocks. Hollow Knight did a better job at representing an environment wiht a similar feel in modern graphics (the area with the spiders), you really feel like going in depth into a nest of some dangerous species and as you proceed, the environment gets more and more mutated by those creatures. Metroid Samus Returns failed at this despite it was done nicely in the original game.
EDIT: OMG I confused the spoiler tags with the quote tags -.- sorry people

I have more stuff to say about recent rumors but I'll wait put it in a new post.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is every Classic Mode boss and the characters that fight them that I'm currently aware of. Spoilers obviously.
Master Hand:
Daisy
Dark Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Fox
Pikachu (fights Mewtwo first)
Pokemon Trainer (fights Mewtwo first)
Ness
Lucas
Lucina
Wii Fit Trainer (not entirely sure about this one)
Palutena
Little Mac
Shulk
Cloud

Master Hand & Crazy Hand:
Donkey Kong (on Omega New Donk City instead of Final Destination)
King Dedede
Mewtwo
Ice Climbers
Ike
Pit
Sonic

Crazy Hand:
Ken

Galleom:
K. Rool
Wolf
R.O.B
Snake
Mega Man (as his second to last stage. Mega Man's final stage is against Dr. Mario as a reference to Dr. Wily.)

Dracula:
Luigi
Simon
Richter

Ganon:
Link
Zelda
Young Link

Giga Bowser:
Mario
Captain Falcon

Marx:
Kirby
Inkling
Rosalina

Rathalos:
Yoshi
Marth
Duck Hunt

Note: Bayonetta is so far the only character that doesn't fight any of the bosses. Her final stage is against Giant Palutena instead.
It'll be weird if Bayo is the only one who doesn't get an actual boss fight. Almost makes me wonder if there's plans to add a Bayonetta boss in an update.

Also, Pikachu/PT facing off against Mewtwo before Master Hand is fantastic.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Wait what the hell did I miss? Also isn't that Yuri guy more popular in the Tales fandom?
It's debatable how popular yuri is over Lloyd especially with how it was symphonia who actually broke into the western audience for the franchise as a whole, ontop of that Sakurai has stated Lloyd is the obvious choice.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Unrelated, but what happend with the L and Y characters?
Are we really getting Lara Croft and Yaridovich?
Uhm well, I respect the users involved in this rumor but I prefer to not believe it.
Insiders rumors like these already happend before and most of the times they were fake; such as the second November Direct, or the "overlooked real image leak" thing. Those leaks usually spawn when there is lack of actual informations and seem to exist only to influence speculation, for some reason.
Maybe the speculation is losing appeal or is going in a direction that someone doesn't like, then one of these rumor spawns and the speculation takes a new direction.
This happend before the last Smash Direct and at the end it was all fake, at the end the Box Theory, that one discussion those rumors were specifically made to drive people away from, was proven real.

I'll stick with the fact that we have no informations and that there are a couple of theories about the spirits but nothing too concrete to prove anything, only vague hints based on many "if".
And a suggestion from PR stuff that the DLC characters will surprise us "Like Piranha Plant".
Basically, as far as we know, anything can happen, especially unexpected unpredictable stuff.

Plus, I'm always skeptical when I read Lloyd... time ago, I have read that there was someone who really wanted Lloyd and who even made fake poll results and fake leaks only to influence people into wanting Lloyd, so when I read Lloid I always see a red flag. I have nothing against the character nor its fans, only that I think that rumors involving Lloyd have a big chance of being manipulated by someone (it's just a personal suspect, I have no proofs and I hope nobody will be offended by this claim).
I may be wrong and it can be all real, I don't know, that's just my personal opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom