• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I never said that it was a rule, just that Cloud rubbed me the wring way. It's a Nintendo crossover yet Nintendo FF fans have only a reminder that the ones who got something are Sony FF fans.
BARTZ KLAUSER/TERRA BRANFORD WAS ROBBED.
SMH.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Dante is only exciting to me if he does something different than Bayonetta. Both are very similar in the ''Action combo frenzy game" stance.

Sure Bayonetta just used her guns, but like...Dante has to use his as well. Then you'd just add his sword probably to make him a bit different.

I like Dante a lot, but I'd really have to see a very different moveset from him than just ''Bayonetta + A Sword."
Dante's guns are generally more his side weapons than his main arsenal. They are there to back up his main weapons the devil arms, not as his main weaponry. His sword would likely be his main attacking method with ebony and ivory likely being used for relatively few attacks in comparison.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Speaking of the day 1 patch...

What if they show the contents of that at the Game Awards, and not a DLC character?
It's unlikely, sure, but you never know...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can I talk about how ****ing amazing World of Light looks? Seriously, Sakurai and the bois went all in for this one.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So at this stage, is Dragon Quest rep, Fire Emblem character and Lloyd looking the most likely? I'm trying to catch up. Heh.
The SE character is gonna be one of three unknown characters if the info is true.

One was denied, the character's creators were shocked and they tried to change Square's minds, but they wouldn't budge.

One had Square going through serious negotiations for, but the source of the info said no one knows what happened in the end.

One is apparently a backup for if the negotiations failed, and so either this one is leakbait or the other one is.

Lloyd & Yuri are a rumor from a random person who entered the discord PolarPanda usually resides in.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Bro why tf you coming for my Geno loving *** tonight what'd I do to you
Calm down man. We get the whole Geno loving

I still want Crash right now

The SE character is gonna be one of three unknown characters if the info is true.

One was denied, the character's creators were shocked and they tried to change Square's minds, but they wouldn't budge.

One had Square going through serious negotiations for, but the source of the info said no one knows what happened in the end.

One is apparently a backup for if the negotiations failed, and so either this one is leakbait or the other one is.
You have the source for this?

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Doesn't Dante have an ammo mechanic for his guns? Maybe that could work well for a moveset concept alongside cool swords and stuff.

Also, Dante and Funky Kong &Knuckles triple reveal trailer incoming boyz
Nope. Dante has infinite ammo. Though different gun types will have different recoil like the shotgun or rocket launcher in 3

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dante is only exciting to me if he does something different than Bayonetta. Both are very similar in the ''Action combo frenzy game" stance.

Sure Bayonetta just used her guns, but like...Dante has to use his as well. Then you'd just add his sword probably to make him a bit different.

I like Dante a lot, but I'd really have to see a very different moveset from him than just ''Bayonetta + A Sword."
Considering that he has
at minimum four different styles of gameplay (mobility, melee, range, defense)
tons of weird weapons one of which returning one being a melee focused guantlet and grieves combos which turns him into an entirely different character with already entirely different effects depending on the style.
a giant-ass sword with tons of moves that only he has used thus far
an emphasis on actually using the pistols as pistols
teleportation
a super mode called Devil Trigger

Yeah he'd easily be different.
In fact, other than the fact that they both have guns and their own emphasis on their own brands of "style," even a person with basic knowlege of Dante could make a moveset entirely different from Bayonetta.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Funny that people are calling Dante 'Bayonetta with a sword', because my most wanted's spirit is literally represented by Bayonetta with a sword. They're both silver haired gun/sword wielders in red with a generally close proximity to pizza.

The only thing Dante has over Elma is potentially bringing Demi-fiend along for maximum crossover. You know how to get my support, Dante, bring the shirtless punch demon teen with you.

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628

Lloyd & Yuri are a rumor from a random person who entered the discord PolarPanda usually resides in.
Thank you! Those three being Erdrick, Crono and Sephiroth yeah? Sephiroth makes the most sense for that first situation to me.

Chumpodile

Smash Journeyman
I just want another non-human rep.

Cant say i really have any strong feelings either way about all these anime people.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Speaking of the day 1 patch...

What if they show the contents of that at the Game Awards, and not a DLC character?
It's unlikely, sure, but you never know...
Unless the patch adds a bunch of big stuff I don't see why that would be worth showing off at all. Not to mention that might be a bad look for them honestly to announce essentially missing content for their game

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Considering that he has
at minimum four different styles of gameplay (mobility, melee, range, defense)
tons of weird weapons one of which returning one being a melee focused guantlet and grieves combos which turns him into an entirely different character with already entirely different effects depending on the style.
a giant-*** sword with tons of moves that only he has used thus far
an emphasis on actually using the pistols as pistols
teleportation
a super mode called Devil Trigger

Yeah he'd easily be different.
In fact, other than the fact that they both have guns and their own emphasis on their own brands of "style," even a person with basic knowlege of Dante could make a moveset entirely different from Bayonetta.
That's the thing though. What fans expect Sakurai to do and what he does do not always equal up. Whenever has Sakurai did the same as what the fans expected him to do with a character.

I'm aware he doesn't have to Bayonetta + A Sword, but there's a real likelyhood he would be.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Funny that people are calling Dante 'Bayonetta with a sword', because my most wanted's spirit is literally represented by Bayonetta with a sword. They're both silver haired gun/sword wielders in red with a generally close proximity to pizza.

The only thing Dante has over Elma is potentially bringing Demi-fiend along for maximum crossover. You know how to get my support, Dante, bring the shirtless punch demon teen with you.
YOU.
I RESPECT YOU.
dante and demifiend pandora.jpg

That's the thing though. What fans expect Sakurai to do and what he does do not always equal up. Whenever has Sakurai did the same as what the fans expected him to do with a character.

I'm aware he doesn't have to Bayonetta + A Sword, but there's a real likelyhood he would be.
No, there actually isn't.

There is actually literally no way he could do any of Bayonetta's moves. Not ONE.
They are from the same genre. That's it.

That's like saying Mega-man would just be Mario with a gun.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You bring up the point of weird wild weapons and like Bayonetta also has those. There's a chance that Sakurai could as just as easily ignore Dante's weird wild weapons to stick to his most well known ones his guns and his sword.

Sakurai seems to keep it simplistic when it comes to what someone is iconically known for. Dante's guns and sword is his thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here at Smashboards, we take our most wanted characters in Smash with the upmost seriousness.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You have the source for this?
Thank you! Those three being Erdrick, Crono and Sephiroth yeah? Sephiroth makes the most sense for that first situation to me.
They don't know who the characters are. I myself just got it from the Geno thread.

I'm hoping we get Geno.

I do think the first situation is either Sora, Sephiroth, or Dragon Quest, maybe Crono; I can imagine them being shocked.

The info was shared by Fatmanonice in the Geno thread; PolarPanda has been receiving info, and he shares it with him among other users as well (I am not one of them, as I never asked):

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/post-22784549

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/post-22784621

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-424#post-22784832

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-423#post-22784773

This is all right except the last bit. Basically Lloyd and Yuri are the only Namco names insiders have heard this cycle although whether either will be in is a total mystery. It didn't come from a singular person. Like most of the SE characters, multiple people have heard and reported on it. It didn't come from me.
Okay; Panda might've said it was a random dude or something, but this is based on memory so I must've misread. Multiple people saying it does make it seem more-likely to be true, though.

edit: lol I assumed my post came after yours, oh well.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
No, you don't wanna try it. Just accept it. It's real.

sound familiar
Your attempts to trigger me are as stable as Sonic boom rise of lyric's framerate. Prehaps you should consider the career of being a lumber jack, but then again, you'd break down in tears seeing the dead corspe of geno in the pile of lumber.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Your attempts to trigger me are as stable as Sonic boom rise of lyric's framerate. Prehaps you should consider the career of being a lumber jack, but then again, you'd break down in tears seeing the dead corspe of geno in the pile of lumber.
0/10 tried way too hard with this one just became jumbled and disorganized, very poor bait

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

One is apparently a backup for if the negotiations failed, and so either this one is leak-bait.

This is all right except the last bit. Basically Lloyd and Yuri are the only Namco names insiders have heard this cycle although whether either will be in is a total mystery. It didn't come from a singular person. Like most of the SE characters, multiple people have heard and reported on it. It didn't come from me.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Devil Trigger obviously would be included, but I'm not sure that Sakurai would invest in the other things. Rather I don't have the faith that he wouldn't simply just say.

''Guns. Sword. Devil Trigger."

Boom. Dante.

And by god that'd be the most boring Dante in the world.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
A shill character? What do they mean by shill? And I'm assuming this character is not supposed to be a Square Enix character?
By a shill he means someone chosen pretty much for the soul purpose of promoting a game.

And no, Tales is not a Square-Enix franchise. It’s a Namco-Bandai one, which actually fits quite well into what Hitagi mentioned a few weeks back about a Namco-Bandai newcomer seeming likely.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Tbh, I really wish 3rd Parties were more Nintendo focused, but I mean within their own franchises. Cloud still rubs me the wrong way because if you were a FF fan following it through Nintendo console, Cloud is pretty much a middle finger for keeping your brand loyalty.
Let's be real here. While VII started planning with Nintendo, as a big N fan myself, the fact that they were so stubborn to stick to cartridges over CDs was what hurt them and why Square-Enix sought greener pastures. Nintendo didn't get their top selling mojo back until the Wii, which was, evidently enough, the first time they adopted a proper disc format that wasn't the GameCube's smaller (albeit still amazing) discs. Nowadays cartridges/memory cards are able to hold so much for cheaper that it's finally turned around.

Regardless of how you feel about Cloud, when you think Final Fantasy, whose usually the first person that people think of when that game title comes up? Sure lots of fans know Terra, the Warriors of Light, Tidus, Auron, Yuna, what have you...but Cloud Strife just makes the most logical sense. If you wanna get mad at Cloud for being a middle finger to brand loyalty, look at Snake. Or SONIC, the guy who used to be in direct competition with Nintendo until they went 3rd party.

It's less about brand loyalty. If that were the case, none of the 3rd party characters would be here. He was the most shocking entry to Smash (Cloud) but he's also up there with the other giants of the video game industry when it comes to characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You bring up the point of weird wild weapons and like Bayonetta also has those. There's a chance that Sakurai could as just as easily ignore Dante's weird wild weapons to stick to his most well known ones his guns and his sword.

Sakurai seems to keep it simplistic when it comes to what someone is iconically known for. Dante's guns and sword is his thing.
And y'know what?
Even THEN, he'd be far more different than Bayonetta.
At his most basic level, using just Rebellion, Ebony and Ivory, (and maybe Coyote if you want to go there), he'd be extremely different than Bayonetta.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There's also the problem of I doubt Kamiya would appreciate Dante and Bayonetta's first meeting not happening in something HE made.

He's already said if they ever meet he wants it to be him that does it.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Dat bait though. This actually pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom