• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
rip ridley amiibo, I had to cancel preorder because I want to my saving account to be safe with fair amount of money

(Don't worry, I still got super smash bros ultimate AND managed to got its price down by using some gift card.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Difference being that Leon is far more popular than Chris. But hell if we do get Chris, Leon Echo, bip bap bam.
It's the same thing with Yuri and Lloyd, with Yuri being far more popular. If Lloyd gets in Smash over Yuri, it is safe to say that popularity within a franchise doesn't matter as much as long as they aren't a literal "who".

D

Deleted member

Phoenix's reveal trailer is him just arguing with Maya over whether they're called "ladder attacks" or "step-ladder attacks"

D

Deleted member

You know what? I'm going to say it.

Dante would be more hype than Geno. 100% dead serious.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'm fine with Phoenix, but to be completely honest, I have trouble thinking about how his model would look in Smash.

I think Leon should definitely be the next Capcom rep tho. Probably my most wanted 3rd party rep.
His model? Dude's a human being. That's the easiest species to imagine in Smash lol

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ultimate Marvel VS. Capcom 3 was also seven years ago.

Damn... Time flies, man.

But Resident Evil 4 has been consistently rereleased multiple times on Nintendo systems, specifically the Switch, and has the most Nintendo ties.
And the fact that RE2 and RE4 are the most critically and commercially acclaimed games in the franchise, one launching the over the shoulder 3rd person camera, could tell you that Leon is arguably more iconic than Chris.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I got exactly what I wanted from Phoenix in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I don't think he would translate very well into Smash.

Dante would be cool though. Donte was a lot of fun in Playstation All-stars Longest Name Ever, and I think he could be done even better in Smash.

BUT NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT ****ING LEON KENNEDY. THIS BOI NEEDS TO BE IN SMASH.

I mean c'mon. Resident Evil 2 was on N64 AND Gamecube and Resident Evil 4 was even originally a Gamecube Exclusive. He could even be our first horror game character rep. What's not to love?
I don't think the Smash fanbase could handle 2 Playable Fighters with Matt Mercer's voice. :shades:

D

Deleted member

This was never THAT serious of a rule though. Obviously, neither Nintendo or Sakurai cares that much about Nintendo ties. As long you are somewhat popular enough, have a gaming legacy they have a good shot at getting in. Even if you chose just Nintendo ties, some be picking the most obscure picks ever. If you just go with Nintendo ties, your limiting who could be great canidates as possible fighters. I'm personally glad that silly rule got broken in Smash 4. So, thank you Cloud!
I never said that it was a rule, just that Cloud rubbed me the wring way. It's a Nintendo crossover yet Nintendo FF fans have only a reminder that the ones who got something are Sony FF fans.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’d rather Wario and Dedede stay clothed.
Others want this (I’m not one of them, but it’s a sacrifice that needs to be made)
Phoenix Wright is no different to me from Mega Man and Simon: a character from a 3rd Party franchise that might as well be a Nintendo one. And he's only now going to non-Nintendo platforms other than mobile, but he's still consistently on Nintendo.
Besides that, no one can deny how fun of a character he would be. Just how much wacky stuff he could bring is just too good to pass up.
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultbayonetta:...all 3rd Party series that are more Nintendo than others and the same does indeed apply to Phoenix Wright

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's the same thing with Yuri and Lloyd, with Yuri being far more popular. If Lloyd gets in Smash over Yuri, it is safe to say that popularity within a franchise doesn't matter as much as long as they aren't a literal "who".
Yuri is more popular than Lloyd? You coulda fooled me. I've always heard more about Lloyd than Yuri. The only thing I've ever heard from Yuri was Project X Zone...

Edit: Thing is Lloyd is also synonymous with Nintendo despite being less popular. Leon is Synonymous with Nintendo and is more popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Others want this (I’m not one of them, but it’s a sacrifice that needs to be made)

:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultbayonetta:...all 3rd Party series that are more Nintendo than others and the same does indeed apply to Phoenix Wright
Sonic is kinda the opposite. He belongs so much here because he's the literal opposite of a Nintendo character. Him being in Smash is the conclusion to a long drawn out console war.

D

Deleted member

Watch as Arthur from Gouls n Goblins becomes the next Capcom rep in Smash.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Dante is only exciting to me if he does something different than Bayonetta. Both are very similar in the ''Action combo frenzy game" stance.

Sure Bayonetta just used her guns, but like...Dante has to use his as well. Then you'd just add his sword probably to make him a bit different.

I like Dante a lot, but I'd really have to see a very different moveset from him than just ''Bayonetta + A Sword."

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Yuri is more popular than Lloyd? You coulda fooled me. I've always heard more about Lloyd than Yuri. The only thing I've ever heard from Yuri was Project X Zone...

Edit: Thing is Lloyd is also synonymous with Nintendo despite being less popular. Leon is Synonymous with Nintendo and is more popular.
Yuri is so popular in the series that he is actively banned from their popularity polls. Lloyd has decent popularity within the series but Yuri is a complete beast when it comes to how popular they are

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd only like Dante's inclusion for the meme tbh; never played his games, and I don't really care. It'd just be a "meh" feeling, no ill will nor excitement.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate & Knuckles ft. Dante from the Devil May Cry series & Knuckles from the Knuckles May Chuckle series!

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
All these people going ballistic over hints and teases while I feel nothing as I watch my most wanted play his Assist role yet again.

You all need to relax, while I don’t necessarily doubt the information Fatman and Polar have, getting your hopes up isn’t always healthy. I torched my expectations for Ridley only to be blown away, did the same for Dark Samus, then happily waited for Shadow to follow suit only to be unrewarded and left devastated for the day.

When it happens, it happens. But I’m not feeling very phased by all these cryptic hints until I see something from Nintendo themselves.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Yuri is literally the most popular Tales character, they had to ban him in official polls because he won too much. Only one other character has been banned so far, and they were always second against Yuri. Lloyd is in the top 10, but there is a huge difference between the popularity of Lloyd and Yuri.

You are right about Lloyd being more synonymous with Nintendo, but Cloud proves that you do not have to be synonymous with Nintendo. Besides ToV is getting a re release for the switch in Jan. Still would love Leon though.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
All these people going ballistic over hints and teases while I feel nothing as I watch my most wanted play his Assist role yet again.

You all need to relax, while I don’t necessarily doubt the information Fatman and Polar have, getting your hopes up isn’t always healthy. I torched my expectations for Ridley only to be blown away, did the same for Dark Samus, then happily waited for Shadow to follow suit only to be unrewarded and left devastated for the day.

When it happens, it happens. But I’m not feeling very phased by all these cryptic hints until I see something from Nintendo themselves.
Eh I'm alright. I don't really care if another Square character happens or not.
Just killin' time till we can play the damn game. Four days! Unreal...

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
So at this stage, is Dragon Quest rep, Fire Emblem character and Lloyd looking the most likely? I'm trying to catch up. Heh.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't Dante have an ammo mechanic for his guns? Maybe that could work well for a moveset concept alongside cool swords and stuff.

Also, Dante and Funky Kong &Knuckles triple reveal trailer incoming boyz

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
damn Link

I don’t dig it

Everyone should be shirtless...and I do mean everyone

I can’t decide between Brawl’s and Ultimate’s openings...they both so amazing
Sign me up for naked Twister then

So guys, who are you gonna pick as your first 5 fighters to play as?

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991

IIRC Lloyd is the iconic one, but most if not all fans agree Yuri is the most quality character.

I'd be ok with this ngl.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But Resident Evil 4 has been consistently rereleased multiple times on Nintendo systems, specifically the Switch, and has the most Nintendo ties.
Yeah, but Capcom still likes using Chris Redfield to represent RE in games like MvC, like to the point that Jill didn't get into MvCI even though she got in before him in MvC2.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Capcom gets another rep at this point, it's probably going to be something Monster Hunter. It's a global success especially now that Monster Hunter World is the best selling game Capcom has ever released. Plus it's already crossed over with Nintendo tons of times so it's probably just a matter of when at this point, like Animal Crossing was after Brawl or Splatoon after Smash 4.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Im hearing a lot about a day one patch? Any details on what this might be?

Im kind of throwing a hail mary here, but a last minute character reveal would be nice. Geno.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Im hearing a lot about a day one patch? Any details on what this might be?

Im kind of throwing a hail mary here, but a last minute character reveal would be nice. Geno.
It's apparently a patch that only physical buyers would have to install, so probably nothing noteworthy.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You hear more about Lloyd than Yuri most likely because it's a Nintendo board. Both Tales of Symphonia games debut on Nintendo systems and were exclusive for a time on them, so Nintendo fans have a clue who Lloyd is. Whereas with Yuri, Yuri was released over in the West ONLY on Xbox 360. And in Japan, Vesperia was re-released on PS3 since most of their fanbase is on Playstation consoles. And that re-release never came over to the West. Not until recently.
So really, it's no wonder that Lloyd is more known than Yuri on a Game Board about a Nintendo Game starring characters from Nintendo games and have released on Nintendo systems. But if you look at the Tales motherland in Japan, Yuri is so damn popular that he officially can't be chosen on the Official Tales polls done by the guys who do the Tales games, the only other one being Leon Magnus from Tales of Destiny. Meanwhile, Lloyd can still go on those Official polls.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Capcom gets another rep at this point, it's probably going to be something Monster Hunter. It's a global success especially now that Monster Hunter World is the best selling game Capcom has ever released. Plus it's already crossed over with Nintendo tons of times so it's probably just a matter of when at this point, like Animal Crossing was after Brawl or Splatoon after Smash 4.
True. Monster Hunter is also very possible. Hell, I'm suprised a Monster Hunter wasn't announced along with Rathalos.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The thing with Monster Hunter is that the monsters are the big draw. No one really cares about the blank slate hunters to the point they had to steal other character's skins to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom