• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Lucina just kinda ruins that. Her Falchion being the same is an important early-game plot point.
It would look hilariously bad if Chrom had a sword twice the size as her
And since Lucina is canonically a "Chrom clone," it would also look bad for them not to share a moveset.
That's why I said that Chrom being a Roy echo makes sense. Just if Lucina was out of the equation and it was just Chrom, Ike makes more sense.

D

Deleted member

All this debate over Chrom in Smash is kinda pointless honestly. He's in regardless of weather or not you like him.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One big reason myself and a lot of other Chrom supporters were banking on an Ike echo over a Roy one was simply due to misconceptions of what echoes could be, based on the fact that we had a very limited reference pool.

Lucina, Dark Pit, Daisy. Hell, the latter was the only one with a unique idle stance.

Things like attack animation reworks and outright move swaps weren't things we considered because we arguably had no reason to consider them. I was vehemently against the Roy echo idea when it was rarely brought up because I incorrectly assumed that would mean he needed to keep Roy's Fire and reverse-grip stance, which seemed like too much to adjust at the time. Meanwhile Ike's Aether seemed like a good match for what would later come to be known as Soaring Slash.

tl;dr, the reason Chrom as an Ike echo caught on was because we didn't know how far echoes could deviate from the base character, and an unaltered Roy was too different from Chrom.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
BOY YOU SAYING I'M HORNY FOR MY PUPPET SON?
B o i, It ain't same when you want to cry because you want to main your favorite wooden doll possesed by star which got decofirmed by became spirit. At least you can equip him to Ness and then imagine him like you're playing geno.

Now, here's my chance to run!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have no idea who Arino is lol
Shinya Arino is a Japanese comedian who has a show called GameCenter CX where he is challenged to complete various videogames in a short amount of time. He is a huge Nintendo fan and a celebrity in Japan, obviously, and Sakurai has said he's a fan of the show. He had a costume in Super Mario Maker and had two DS games that are really good. Those were released in the US as Retro Game Challenge.

I was trying to think of a pick as weird as Negan in Tekken that was still plausible.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

HE WAS IN MARIO MAKER
SAKURAI JUST SAID IN HIS LAST COLUMN HE'S A FAN
WHAT IF
Holy **** he was in mario maker wasn’t he? I just remembered that, but it feels like such a weird thing to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Way too early to call. It's likely not even the same situation. Despite how some people may want to view it, Awakening's "protagonist trio" is treated far from evenly.

Chrom is, at the end of the day, the main protagonist. Not Robin, definitely not Lucina, but Chrom. Lucina is a lord in name only, despite what her class says. From a gameplay perspective, she is not ever a forced deployment and her death doesn't prompt a Game Over. Robin is in the same avatar pseudo-main lord category Kris was in. Death prompts a game over, but is only a forced deployment during certain pivotal maps. Robin has the added benefit of having final segment of the game partially revolve around them, while Kris just had the paralogue chapters and prologue. But Chrom? The first two of the three acts revolve nigh exclusively around him, and the final act is split between him and Robin. When what effectively amounts to 5/6 of the game revolves around him while the final sixth is Robin's, I literally don't understand why some people act like they're equally the main lords.

Robin and Lucina are protagonists, but Chrom is the main protagonist.
Chrom isn't the main protagonist; he's the main character. He being the leader drives the story, but we see it all through Robin's eyes, and it all relates to them. Robin is the one we are with from start through end, as he is the character the player creates themselves. There's a difference between being the main character and the protagonist. It's Chrom's story, but Robin is the character we identify with and experience the adventure through. This is what makes Robin the protagonist and not Chrom.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
B o i, It ain't same when you want to cry because you want to main your favorite wooden doll possesed by star which got decofirmed by became spirit. At least you can equip him to Ness and then imagine him like you're playing geno.

Now, here's my chance to run!
Sometimes fictional characters are all ya got going for you, you're a Homestuck fan, you should know this

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom isn't the main protagonist; he's the main character. He being the leader drives the story, but we see it all through Robin's eyes, and it all relates to them. Robin is the one we are with from start through end, as he is the character the player creates themselves. There's a difference between being the main character and the protagonist. It's Chrom's story, but Robin is the character we identify with and experience the adventure through. This is what makes Robin the protagonist and not Chrom.
Explain why both Intelligent Systems and Sakurai call Chrom the main protagonist then, because they're right. Robin connects to the player because he was literally intended to be a player stand-in, despite having a defined personality.

beans

Smash Lord
Serious question:
Why do people want to **** Sidon and Kass so much?
Is it a inside joke? Did I miss the side quest where Sidon/Kass show their chiseled abs?
It wouldnt be weird if it was some few occasions, but everyone wants a piece of them.
HOW?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Serious question:
Is it a inside joke? Did I miss the side quest where Sidon/Kass show their chiseled abs?
It wouldnt be weird if it was some few occasions, but everyone wants a piece of them.
HOW?
Who's gonna break the news to beans about furries

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The word you're looking for is deuteragonist.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Serious question:
HOW?
Hey, I know someone on discord who want to **** kass in gay way.

Those two characters are what turning people in to furries even men into gay furries too.

D

Deleted member

Serious question:
HOW?
One word: Furries.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Serious question:
HOW?
Well, Sidon is constantly flexing his muscles, and his chiseled abs are alway visible, sooo...

But to answer your question, it's because they have a likeable personality, and quite a few people unironically find their designs to be attractive. Yeah, I'm sure there's more than a few people who are jumping on board the Sidon/Kass train just for the fun of it, but from what I've seen, they're real fan favorites, not just memes.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
The word you're looking for is deuteragonist.
No, I meant protagonist. Robin is the protagonist while Chrom is the main character. Robin is the one we experience the ride with, and are rooting for by the end, but the plot in which Robin is a part of, is mostly focused on Chrom.
Explain why both Intelligent Systems and Sakurai call Chrom the main protagonist then, because they're right. Robin connects to the player because he was literally intended to be a player stand-in, despite having a defined personality.
We learn everything through Robin. He's the point of view of the story and how we see the story unfold. Chrom is the main character and not the main protagonist because the story puts the focus on him, but he is not the channel through which the story is experienced.

It's just like how in The Great Gatsby, Gatsby is the main character, but Nick is the protagonist. They're two different things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Serious question:
HOW?
So how are you enjoing your first-day on the Internet? :4pacman:
A lot more people than you’d expect want to **** anthropomorphised animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Serious question:
HOW?
Have you SEEN Sidon? He's ripped af.

and he's got a loveable and charming personality to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom