• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sakurai is free of doing what he wants to his games, including the Roy X Roy thing.

In fact, that picture shows that both made peaces after Roy threw Roy Koopa with his sword on the character trailer for Smash U’s DLC.

They are great friends now.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
You guys are arguing semantics.

From a literary perspective and the actual definitions of each role within Awakening's story, Pokechu Pokechu is right. But you're right in that you have a direct quote from Nintendo. This doesn't mean Nintendo chose that wording with full knowledge of the difference between a main character and a protagonist in which the perspective of the player/reader is different than that of the story's main character.

So. You're both right. Whatever. I'm just gonna keep calling Robin "she" to support my own canon.
I fully believe in female Robin too and I am utterly heartbroken and distressed she never got an amiibo

D

Deleted member

You guys are arguing semantics.

From a literary perspective and the actual definitions of each role within Awakening's story, Pokechu Pokechu is right. But you're right in that you have a direct quote from Nintendo. This doesn't mean Nintendo chose that wording with full knowledge of the difference between a main character and a protagonist in which the perspective of the player/reader is different than that of the story's main character.

So. You're both right. Whatever. I'm just gonna keep calling Robin "she" to support my own canon.
Robin is not the main driving force of the plot, Chu's point goes directly AGAINST the literary definition.

D

Deleted member

Sidon reminds me of who i consider the most beautiful boy in my high school.

>Both are tall as heck.
>Both look handsome.
>Both are cool people to talk with.
>Both are educated and kind people.
>Sidon is a water being, and my partner plays Waterpollo everyday.
>A lot of people love both.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Oh ****, I made a ****post about three houses and now people are arguing literary definitions.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

>Both are tall as heck.
>Both look handsome.
>Urbosa is still better than both

sorry i don't make the rules

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

>Both are tall as heck.
>Both look handsome.
WTF JD YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND? I WASN'T AWAR-

>Urbosa is still better than both

sorry i don't make the rules
That's my boy

Iridium

Smash Hero
uhh i missed the last couple of days but did review copies already go out?
Haven't heard any word on them, so probably not.

What I have seen though is people finding Amiibo that shouldn't have come out in Targets and Walmarts. Seriously, you'll find results on Reddit about Wolf & Ridley Amiibo.

D

Deleted member

Seriously.

I feel like i should finish high school, get a job and afford food and a house before worrying about my romantic life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

What I have seen though is people finding Amiibo that shouldn't have come out in Targets and Walmarts. Seriously, you'll find results on Reddit about Wolf & Ridley Amiibo.
Someone actually posted theirs on the Ridley thread here. Early amiibo releases happen more often than they should.

all of the champions were boring and didn’t have much personality
All of the Champions are underrated and underappreciated.

Especially Revali. No one seems to understand the bird.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Oh ****, I made a ****post about three houses and now people are arguing literary definitions.
It really do be like that sometimes. End of the day, the Awakening trio is in and no one from the Blazing Blade trio is.

D

Deleted member

Ah yes my favorite type of Smash discussion, JD's love life
You’re right, this is getting off-topic. We should go back to discussing which dragon ball series is the best instead!

I’m hoping that one day a newcomer leaks because of their amiibo being listed way too early.

D

Deleted member

i gotta question the intelligence of the people going online and posting stuff from their pirated copy of the game
It’s been going like this for a week now. It’s way too widespread for Nintendo to do anything about it.

D

Deleted member

You’re right, this is getting off-topic. We should go back to discussing which dragon ball series is the best instead!

I’m hoping that one day a newcomer leaks because of their amiibo being listed way too early.
We were close to that with Shovel Knight, tbh.

Sadly, it wasn’t related to Smash.

D

Deleted member

This is an interesting idea. I wonder how much dev time it would actually take though.
They already have the assets in the fighters programmed into the game, as well as whatever sound clips they got (and if they need anything else, they could just recycle dialogue), and I doubt they'll get fighter screams for most of them. Programming a full fighter into Ultimate from scratch would probably take 6-8 months; an Echo Fighter would take a lesser amount of that time, but an Assist Trophy that wouldn't need much additional time could probably need just a month, at most, I believe. I'm just guessing here, considering you would need to program holds, item manipulation (though they would probably be handicapped into using items that were only available in the original SSB as a means to save time, so they won't have to code how to implement the Super Leaf, Jetpack, etc.), and also anything else (since they'd be SSB, would they stick with one taunt, or could they have three?). The trick is to keep things simple and limited.

I'd like to have a lot of fun going into details laying out this thoroughly if you guys are interested. I laid this out before and it could help me out with my confidence right now.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Because I'm getting a bit fatigued right now, I'll post this one last Twitter clip for today:

Apparently, when Bowser Jr. uses his up-B, his airdodges act exactly like they do in Smash 4. I'll assume he probably got rushed a bit, or simply had no attention paid to everything he had or something.
Bowser Jr was rushed into the game?
Where have I heard that before?

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Robin is not the main driving force of the plot, Chu's point goes directly AGAINST the literary definition.
The protagonist is not the main driving force of the plot. Often the protagonist of a story doesn't even have any impact on the plot and merely reacts to things that happen around them. Think Indiana Jones in Raiders or The Dude in The Big Lebowski.

The protagonist is the character with the most screentime. The word comes from Greek theater and means "the character with the biggest part."

It's pretty black and white. It's only been muddied and greyed over the decades because English professors like to believe they're smarter than the books their teaching.

When you give your intended protagonist half the screentime as your intended supporting cast, that's how you wind up with The Phantom Menace.

beans

Smash Lord
I just noticed that Tsubasa is a spirit, but Itsuki (the player character) isnt one.
Tokyo-Mirage-Sessions-Shot-01.jpg

He's in
The most anime of the Fire Emblem. THE REAL SMT REP

D

Deleted member

I just noticed that Tsubasa is a spirit, but Itsuki (the player character) isnt one.
View attachment 180761
He's in
The most anime of the Fire Emblem. THE REAL SMT REP
I am against your post.
The most anime of Fire Emblem will always be the OVA.

Besides that, he’s in. You are right on that, but not on that game being the most anime of Fire Emblem.

D

Deleted member

Welp, there it is. Catching Cross cancels DAir's lag. Not sure if it cancels the landing lag on other aerials tho
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Also, Shulk mains, rise up
The protagonist is not the main driving force of the plot. Often the protagonist of a story doesn't even have any impact on the plot and merely reacts to things that happen around them. Think Indiana Jones in Raiders or The Dude in The Big Lebowski.

The protagonist is the character with the most screentime. The word comes from Greek theater and means "the character with the biggest part."

It's pretty black and white. It's only been muddied and greyed over the decades because English professors like to believe they're smarter than the books their teaching.

When you give your intended protagonist half the screentime as your intended supporting cast, that's how you wind up with The Phantom Menace.
Better tell that to almost every definition I found lol

But yeah, I always knew Polnareff was the true protagonist of Stardust Crusaders

beans

Smash Lord
Be careful! With this logic, he'll end up as a "actually very likely character for DLC" just like Sylux, Porky, and that Cross ******!
Yeah, let the world know the power of a decentRPG-with-cool-combat-mechanics-but-mediocre-anime-storyline protagonist

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Better tell that to almost every definition I found lol

But yeah, I always knew Polnareff was the true protagonist of Stardust Crusaders
The only definition that matters is the original one.

Protagonist (from Ancient Greek πρωταγωνιστής (protagonistes): 'one who plays the first part, chief actor'

D

Deleted member

The only thing on Fire Emblem that can be compared or even considered anime is the OVA.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions feels more like a JRPG set in the present or the close future, and not an anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom