• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
oversimplification.
japan isnt the west. heroes with guns have never taken off there. Every generation FPS games have been dead there and guns and gun based violence have never been big in media there. japan has favored fantasy and sword weapons for a years now. its just whats popular. japan loves anime is an obvious statement thats like saying America loves their American cartoons and comic books.
Very true. I didn't think about all that stuff, because I just didn't know all those details

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ok, I’m not expecting a Smash announcement at the VGAs but I thought I’d come up with a little scenario just for fun.

>Sakurai and a few people from SE step onto the stage.
>Sakurai says that there is an announcement related to Smash.
>Smash Ultimate trailer intro starts
>The trailer starts off completely black like the Ridley trailer and slowly fades into the Statue of Liberty with the NYC skyline in the distance.
>As the scene fades in, this song begins playing https://youtu.be/SCb-gZMW82E

Your reactions?
M I T O C H O N D R I A

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
You never know buddy with Disney acquiring FOX, they may add DLC that involves the X-Men. Or by the time the game is released Disney will already have acquired FOX and thus allowed them to add X-Men, etc.
Oh I wish. Honestly I didn't think of the rights, totally forgot that. I just thought we had a lot of Avengers lately, plus I do prefer X-Men X)
I’m gonna miss the Danger Wrap the most of all.
Out of all, Mega Man customizations are the only one's I'll miss X).. oh and Falco's too.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Oh I wish. Honestly I didn't think of the rights, totally forgot that. I just thought we had a lot of Avengers lately, plus I do prefer X-Men X)

Out of all, Mega Man customizations are the only one's I'll miss X).. oh and Falco's too.
Actually recent reports of the merger of Disney and Fox suggest, that the merger will be finalized by January 2019. So that may mean Disney can start using X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool etc after January. So we might start seeing a lot of X-men popping up. Hopefully that means Gambit ha.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
*cough cough*
View attachment 180700
Don't forget the God of Hyperdeath :p
We've already got the Cunning God of Death though.
IMHO, the only Undertale character who would make sense in Smash is Undyne.

She's the only character who actually seems to enjoy fighting in Undertale. And the fact that she uses spears means that her fighting style can be translated into Smash.

I don't think you can do Sans or Papyrus; Sans for character integrity reasons and either because I can't imagine what their moveset would translate to. Everything distinctive about Frisk is dodging stuff, tho I guess they could do something villager style with them, but I don't think there's enough things in Undertale to draw from. Alphys no, Toriel and Asgore could have a moveset but wouldn't work for character integrity reasons, etc.

Undyne has no barriers to inclusion that every other Undertale character has.

Susie is probably the equivalent character for Deltarune. But I suspect since her story isn't done yet Toby would not have offered up said character for Smash (although given that Deltarune has been in the works since 2012, it's not impossible)

Edit: Sorry this was so long I've just been thinking about this for weeks and finally had an opportunity to share
Huh. That's actually along me and my cousin's line of logic, but yeah, Undyne definitely excels in that category.

And hey, it wouldn't be the first time someone other than the main character or most expected (though seriously, sans' fighting style just doesn't even really gel with Smash), got in as the first fighter from said series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ok, I’m not expecting a Smash announcement at the VGAs but I thought I’d come up with a little scenario just for fun.

>Sakurai and a few people from SE step onto the stage.
>Sakurai says that there is an announcement related to Smash.
>Smash Ultimate trailer intro starts
>The trailer starts off completely black like the Ridley trailer and slowly fades into the Statue of Liberty with the NYC skyline in the distance.
>As the scene fades in, this song begins playing https://youtu.be/SCb-gZMW82E

Your reactions?
Google "what the hell is a Parasite Eve and how can I inject its soundtrack directly into my veins"

D

Deleted member

Not that sure on an announcement regarding Smash during the Game Awards

But the question we should actually be asking is;

Will Super Smash Bros. Ultimate be nominated for next year's Game Awards?
For fighting/family? Maybe, if it is it will win. For GOTY? Probably not, but if it is I’m pretty sure it won’t win.

D

Deleted member

You never know buddy with Disney acquiring FOX, they may add DLC that involves the X-Men. Or by the time the game is released Disney will already have acquired FOX and thus allowed them to add X-Men, etc.
Also reports suggest Disney may be able to acquire FOX by January 2019

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900043332/heres-when-fox-and-disney-will-close-their-deal.html
The X-Men can wait a bit.

The Fantastic Four need a new life more, after the way Fox ruined the characters and stories they had.

If Marvel starts using Fox characters on merchandising and media during the next year, they should start with the First Family, because the X-Men were not ruined so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So... do you guys think we'll get our first DLC character revealed at the game awards?
No. It wouldn't be Nintendo's style to do so considering it's specifically a western event, plus Piranha Plant hasn't been released yet. I wouldn't expect anything until a Q1 2019 Direct. I suspect we'll see a similar release schedule as with Smash 3DS/Wii U just with PP to tide us over. Remember it's Amiibo is out February 15th.

You're better off betting on Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 info. Also keep in mind that another Pokemon Direct will be likely in Q1 2019 as well.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Just got back here, but here's something nice.

Apparently, for Stamina Mode, now you can set your HP to 999, so matches can go even longer.

Ignore the ending.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

The Fantastic Four need a new life more, after the way Fox ruined the characters and stories they had.

If Marvel starts using Fox characters on merchandising and medie during the next year, they should start with the First Family, because the X-Men were not ruined so much.
I agree heres a dream of mine John Krasinski and Emily Blunt as Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman. Both of them have auditioned for Marvel films. John was almost Captain America and Star Lord. Emily was almost Black Widow and Peggy Carter. They both have great chemistry not just because they are married, but on screen as well as seen in The Quiet Place.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No. It wouldn't be Nintendo's style to do so considering it's specifically a western event, plus Piranha Plant hasn't been released yet. I wouldn't expect anything until a Q1 2019 Direct. I suspect we'll see a similar release schedule as with Smash 3DS/Wii U just with PP to tide us over. Remember it's Amiibo is out February 15th.

You're better off betting on Bayonetta 3 or Metroid Prime 4 info. Also keep in mind that another Pokemon Direct will be likely in Q1 2019 as well.
I mean, I don't expect anything either, but I don't see why they wouldn't reveal a Smash newcomer at the VGAs if they could. BotW got it's 2nd DLC pack officially revealed there, and the first trailer for MP4 would be a much bigger deal than a single Smash DLC character. Doesn't seem like they're all too concerned about it being a Western event

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

If Marvel starts using Fox characters on merchandising and media during the next year, they should start with the First Family, because the X-Men were not ruined so much.
Between the first 2 movies and the "movie" that was Fan4stic. I'm not sure what they could do to revive the series in the eyes of the general audience.

It was bad enough with the original and Silver Surfer movie.

But dear god, Fan4stic somehow made it even worse.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It'd be really weird if that one fake rumor about the first DLC character being revealed alongside a Game Of The Year nomination is true and the first DLC character is Madeline from Celeste.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Just got back here, but here's something nice.

Apparently, for Stamina Mode, now you can set your HP to 999, so matches can go even longer.

Ignore the ending.
I'm really glad they increased it to 999. I was worried they would keep it as 300 max HP (I think that's what it was before for max HP). And the fact that we can have multiple stocks with stamina battles (correct me if I'm wrong) means that the fights can go on for a very long time, which I like.

D

Deleted member

Between the first 2 movies and the "movie" that was Fan4stic. I'm not sure what they could do to revive the series in the eyes of the general audience.

It was bad enough with the original and Silver Surfer movie.

But dear god, Fan4stic somehow made it even worse.
You want to know why i believe that they will be done justice after the Fox purchase?

Because of this video and Marvel 2 in 1:

This video, in less than 4 minutes, gives a more respectful and interesting version of the Coming Of Galactus than the garbage that was Rise Of The Silver Surfer, to the point that i would suggest people to see it rather than the Fox movie anytime someone asked me. And Marvel 2 in 1 is some of the best comics that Marvel has released recently, which captures the characters great.

If the comic book section and the social media of the company can make them justice and succeed over Fox’s failures, then Kevin Feige and everyone else at Marvel Studios probably can.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So what does this Sephiroth guy do? I can see he has a super long sword, but that doesn't scream interesting fighter to me. Honestly it seems like a pain in the *** to fight :laugh:
Huge sword, super human abilities courtesy of gene splicing a human and an extra terrestrial, both artificial and natural use of magic (artificial at first, natural after absorbing immense spirit energy), and has an immensely powerful will that allows him to remote control and puppeteer entities that share his genes, as well as allows him to eventually begin to transcend humanity into godhood (during which time he gains his wing). He also looks badass and his sword can cut buildings in half.

He's Cloud's enemy and his mirror image, as well as the cause of most of his grief and his existential issues. He has great dialogue and an imposing image in-game, and he walks the walk in villainy by burning Cloud's town, murdering his and Tifa's families, then gutting a sweet innocent girl halfway through the game for good measure. He manages to be intimidating without actually having much screen time, and the psychological warfare he puts on Cloud is both sinister and engaging. He's a bit of a Mary Sue, but has weaknesses in the form of his hubris, which causes him to underestimate Cloud and company constantly and causes him to make mistakes that lead to his downfall. He's the most famous soldier in FF7's world and is both a war hero and a model of human capability. But it all goes south when he learns how he was created.

He's a renowned villain for a good reason.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Everyone, if you could choose the 2nd Bandai Namco Rep from the following list. Which character would it be?

Tekken Series
Heihachi Mishima
Jin Kazama

Tales Series
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell

Soul Calibur Series
Nightmare
Sophitia

Other Namco Series
Agumon
DigDug
Klonoa
From that list it has to be Lloyd with Heihachi as a distant second.

My pick is KOS-MOS.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
M I T O C H O N D R I A
“The greatest foe lies within the self”

Dang, I’m so glad someone else knows about this game. But alas, any Smash representation shall just remain a pipe dream of mine.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Everyone, if you could choose the 2nd Bandai Namco Rep from the following list. Which character would it be?

Tekken Series
Heihachi Mishima
Jin Kazama

Tales Series
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell

Soul Calibur Series
Nightmare
Sophitia

Other Namco Series
Agumon
DigDug
Klonoa
I'd pick Sopitia (because I only like to play as girls, yes I'm shallow like that :p). But I really wouldn't want any of these series to be chosen for the Bandai Namco rep. The character I would personally want to be chosen as the Bandai Namco rep would be Haruka Amami from THE iDOLM@STER, since that is my favorite Bandai Namco game series

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Tekken Series
Heihachi Mishima
Jin Kazama

Tales Series
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell

Soul Calibur Series
Nightmare
Sophitia

Other Namco Series
Agumon
DigDug
Klonoa
My personal want is one of the two Tekken reps. But Augumon sounds nice as well.

D

Deleted member

Tekken Series
Heihachi Mishima
Jin Kazama

Tales Series
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell

Soul Calibur Series
Nightmare
Sophitia

Other Namco Series
Agumon
DigDug
Klonoa
Of this list, DigDug, Nightmare, Lloyd and Heihachi are the coolest. DigDug probably comes first for me.

Iridium

Smash Hero
New tech changes:

It seems like if you hold the shield button after getting launched, if you land on the ground, you'll perform an immediate tech. Doesn't work on walls, though. Definitely needs more testing.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
New tech changes:

It seems like if you hold the shield button after getting launched, if you land on the ground, you'll perform an immediate tech. Doesn't work on walls, though. Definitely needs more testing.
I've seen other footage of this, and it's been confirmed that this doesn't always work. I'm not sure what the specifications of it are though.

I also no longer have the source, but it's out there.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Tekken Series
Heihachi Mishima
Jin Kazama

Tales Series
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell

Soul Calibur Series
Nightmare
Sophitia

Other Namco Series
Agumon
DigDug
Klonoa
The lack of KOS-MOS pains me, so I reject your choices and substitute my own!

REconsider for the REal Namco rep!

__kos_mos_and_kos_mos_re_xenoblade_series_and_etc__87cbd36567e6a2f4cb03fe4c36edf9fa (1).jpg

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Tekken Series
Heihachi Mishima
Jin Kazama

Tales Series
Lloyd Irving
Yuri Lowell

Soul Calibur Series
Nightmare
Sophitia

Other Namco Series
Agumon
DigDug
Klonoa
From the list, Klonoa. Actually, make that Klonoa, period.

By the way, the name of the Dig Dug protagonist is apparently Taizo Hori.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I've seen other footage of this, and it's been confirmed that this doesn't always work. I'm not sure what the specifications of it are though.

I also no longer have the source, but it's out there.
once again this smash game continues to incorporate more normal fighting game mechanics. this is common in other fighting games. to find out why its not consistent we need to understand if this game has untechable knockdowns. which actually we know it does as you cannot tech a grounded spike. nor can you tech greninja's final smash on the ground. but if there are other moves they will be meta long term to know and use. unlike the spinning knockdown in 4 this isn't random which is good.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
once again this smash game continues to incorporate more normal fighting game mechanics. this is common in other fighting games. to find out why its not consistent we need to understand if this game has untechable knockdowns. which actually we know it does as you cannot tech a grounded spike. nor can you tech greninja's final smash on the ground. but if there are other moves they will be meta long term to know and use. unlike the spinning knockdown in 4 this isn't random which is good.
IIRC one of the untechable moves I saw was Mewtwo's down-tilt at mid percents. Not sure on that.

I'm still trying to find the post, but I don't remember how I found it in the first place.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Okay, hear me out. You're all thinking too small when it comes to a Sony rep. The real best option?

Sly Cooper. It's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom