• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
No, but I’m willing to bet it’s Brawler.

I don’t see that costume working with Gunner or Swordfighter.
That's probably the case, though there's a chance it could be Gunner to go with the logic that my boi uses projectiles...

welp looks like we have our first infinite combo on ultimate and it was even found before the release date
https://streamable.com/u09v8 Btw, this video is 1 frame so expect it to be slow
Why am I surprised that some people have gone to analyize some frames and new potiental combos just found this infinite that is 100% going to be patched instantly?
And it's Mewtwo...

Of ****ing course it's Mewtwo...

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Why do I feel like this whole new thing with Verge is gonna come out to be a giant ****ing troll by Verge, Hitagi, and Xeno as revenge for all the **** he got during the whole Grinch leak thing from so many people. Then have him come out with a real leak just to **** with people even more after everyone calls him out again for being an untrustworthy source. I know how crazy and stupid that sounds but let's be real here it could happen never underestimate people's ability to be petty as **** lmao. I don't know just can't shake this feeling that might happen especially after what happened with the Grinch leak. Personally though I think that **** would be pretty funny to see not gonna lie ****ed up mind you but still pretty funny. Can't even be mad at that myself if he did do some **** like that honestly cause that would be some grade A bait and switch trolling right there.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
That's probably the case, though there's a chance it could be Gunner to go with the logic that my boi uses projectiles...

And it's Mewtwo...

The reason why I don’t think it’ll be Gunner is because I can’t think of anything Yoshi would use as a gun-like object. Not even as a stretch, like the K.K. Slider outfit in Smash 4 using a guitar as a gun.

A gun-tar you could say.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
That Mewtwo thing huh... Good thing patches exist in the game unlike in Brawl and such. The real question though is if Nintendo will patch things up right, just like how they somehow gave Mewtwo suitable buffs in s4 (shame Palutena didn't get the proper buffs or Pit's hitboxes fixed in that game). I suppose I could wait the 6-12 months after the game's released then see how things work, and hope severe things get patched and such.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Before going to sleep,
I have to leave you with.. some surprise. Turned out, that someone managed to get hold of ****ING. E3. DEMO. VERSION OF SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE.
For comprisation:
Treehouse or whatever official nintendo gameplay that shows this

some random streamer's switch home screen

just found on /r/smashbros leaks megathread. But I'm sure that this must be ****ing prank, right? RIGHT?

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
welp looks like we have our first infinite combo on ultimate and it was even found before the release date
https://streamable.com/u09v8 Btw, this video is 1 frame so expect it to be slow
Why am I surprised that some people have gone to analyize some frames and new potiental combos just found this infinite that is 100% going to be patched instantly?
Wow, I didn't know you could advance the game in training mode frame-by-frame. I'm honestly surprised at how robust they've made training mode, at least compared to prior games.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The reason why I don’t think it’ll be Gunner is because I can’t think of anything Yoshi would use as a gun-like object. Not even as a stretch, like the K.K. Slider outfit in Smash 4 using a guitar as a gun.

A gun-tar you could say.
Well, 1:

And 2: It makes as much sense as imagining Yoshi being a Brawler as he never uses his arms for fighting as much, not even in Smash. It's one of the reasons I never expected a Yoshi outfit in the first place...

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
So just like books, movies, video games, TV series, cartoons and comic books?
I mean, to an extent yes, but anime has cliches/tropes that I find more off-putting than the ones present in other mediums.

And fair or not, none of those carry the same stigma. Case in point, I say to my wife "I started a new series/book/games" I get "oh cool, what's it about?"
The other day I told her I started a new anime and I got "It's not one of those weird ones is it?"

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, to an extent yes, but anime has cliches/tropes that I find more off-putting than the ones present in other mediums.

And fair or not, none of those carry the same stigma. Case in point, I say to my wife "I started a new series/book/games" I get "oh cool, what's it about?"
The other day I told her I started a new anime and I got "It's not one of those weird ones is it?"
I can get your second point but first one is just weird.

There are no tropes unique to anime. The ones you see in there are just as prevalent in Japan-made books (especially light novels) and video games; and there are a lot of animes that doesn't use them (I imagine, you weren't specific about them).

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I never had any of the consoles that had Mega Man 8 natively. If they were in any bundles for a console I had, I probably never bothered to buy or find them.
I did take the chance to see people stream MM8, though, and I felt the pacing was lackluster at best compared to 7, mostly because of one too many gimmicks that overstay their welcome, the snowboarding sections in particular.
A..a..Ooouch!.. 8 is one of my favorites T^T
Well if you ever it's available on Switch now :D.. and you can change the language too :)

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Here're the two of today's..
The king himself.. HOOORRYYAAAAA..BooBOOOM (This one's so cool. From the Japanese ad).
Edit: How dare they.. The note says Bomberman is an Assist Trophy :/ Well if you know he's that cool why'd you make him one :/

Next is not much.. but, hehe, Ridley needs a heimlich maneuver XD
Get movin Ridley fans, save your vote

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I can get your second point but first one is just weird.

There are no tropes unique to anime. The ones you see in there are just as prevalent in Japan-made books (especially light novels) and video games; and there are a lot of animes that doesn't use them (I imagine, you weren't specific about them).
Fair enough, I suppose it could be more Japanese "cultural cliches" than specifically the animated medium. And like you said, cliches pop up in all sorts of places in entertainment.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh, speaking of Miis. Does anyone know which Mii Fighter uses the Yarn Yoshi Costume yet?
The UI used for Mii costumes tells you all you need to know.
mii_body_0_b_astronaut.png

mii_body_0_b_nature.png

mii_body_0_b_yoshiwool.png
As you can see, the Swordfighter and Gunner Mii costumes have their weapons in hand even in the UI, so the fact that Yarn Yoshi isn't holding anything means it's a Brawler costume.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
As for the other conversation that was going on, Metroid is a funny thing for me.

I LOVE the world, the lore, the design, the characters and all that stuff.

But I have a hard time with the gameplay. The whole backtracking/looking in every nook/little-to-no guidance thing is not really my cup of tea, especially if my play sessions end up being more sporadic. Honestly, I almost gave up on Prime 1 the tenth time it made me fight back across to the other end of the map for a piece I needed to progress.

But the production is fantastic, and the boss fights are aces. Going to be getting Prime 4 very likely.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Here're the two of today's..
The king himself.. HOOORRYYAAAAA..BooBOOOM (This one's so cool. From the Japanese ad).

Next is not much.. but, hehe, Ridley needs a heimlich maneuver XD
Get movin Ridley fans, save your vote
:079:
Edit: How dare they.. The note says Bomberman is an Assist Trophy :/ Well if you know he's that cool why'd you make him one :/
To have him in the game as something other than a Spirit.

osby

Smash Obsessed
:079:

To have him in the game as something other than a Spirit.
What, no! Putting a character as anything other than a fighter is a personal insult to them. Why do you think Sakurai made Dr. Kawashima an Assist, because he hates him. /s

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
The UI used for Mii costumes tells you all you need to know.
As you can see, the Swordfighter and Gunner Mii costumes have their weapons in hand even in the UI, so the fact that Yarn Yoshi isn't holding anything means it's a Brawler costume.
I gotta admit. The Yarn Yoshi costume actually looks pretty nice. Almost makes me want to use it for my Mii... almost

But on a side note, I didn't realize that I passed 3000 likes today!
I swear I only had like 2900 likes at the beginning of the day.
But I guess a Zelda-DBZ joke and dropping characters stats were pretty popular posts.
Thanks everyone!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well, I guess I can be happy now. We might never get Sora (and a trailer) but it’s still good to be able to at least have something like this:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nno, he's playable cool :)
I think the Assist Trophy represents him quite well. While, sure, you could very well pull out a unique moveset for the guy I do feel like Simon had more potential and can see why they went with him instead. And this is coming from an avid Bomberman supporter. Same with the Black Knight, Shovel Knight, Zero, Grey Fox, Guile, Akira, Alucard, etc. All great representations of each character.

On the other hand there are some Assists that don't represent the character very well. Shadow only using Chaos Control is pretty disappointing. Isaac only using Move is baffling. Krystal using ice from her staff is just strange all things considered. Ashley using a very random, and only one, spell. And then there's the fact that Lyn is somehow restrained to a single frame attack. Assists are very much a mixed bag this game. And Saki is missing for... some... reason.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Just 100%'ed the new Star Allies mode... Now I REALLY want Hyness.

Really wish Star Allies got more representation than just one music track and a spirit.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I think the Assist Trophy represents him quite well. While, sure, you could very well pull out a unique moveset for the guy I do feel like Simon had more potential and can see why they went with him instead. And this is coming from an avid Bomberman supporter. Same with the Black Knight, Shovel Knight, Zero, Grey Fox, Guile, Akira, Alucard, etc. All great representations of each character.

On the other hand there are some Assists that don't represent the character very well. Shadow only using Chaos Control is pretty disappointing. Isaac only using Move is baffling. Krystal using ice from her staff is just strange all things considered. Ashley using a very random, and only one, spell. And then there's the fact that Lyn is somehow restrained to a single frame attack. Assists are very much a mixed bag this game. And Saki is missing for... some... reason.
I'll tell you straight out that he was well represented as an assist, but if I'm arguing his chances of being playable, why would I need to compare him to Simon? or any character for that matter. He has his own merits that entitles him to that position.

Saki has turned into a Mii costume.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
To be fair, Ganondorf and Bowser are both playable characters. I dunno if they fight their super forms at any point either, so it's fair to assume that Marx would be in whatever spot they're in if he was to be playable.

I need my fix...
Yeah, but, from a technical standpoint, Ganon and Giga Bowser aren't Ganondorf and Bowser, they are unplayable boss characters whereas Marx would look the same as he does in his boss fight.

Bear in mind, Marx is one of my most wanted Kirby characters (along with Adelaine, but I know she won't happen)
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use DLC characters in World of Light, it wouldn't make sense regarding the story.

So if Marx ends up as a DLC character, and doesn't fight himself as the boss, we are perfectly fine.

He has two spirits though, so he's still very unlikely.
I don't know if they'd lock DLC characters out of World of Light or not, I mean, they let us unlock Toon Link, Wolf, and Jigglypuff in Subspace Emissary after beating the initial story, I could see them allowing use of DLC after beating the main stories in World of Light..even then, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mode that let you fight the bosses with any character.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
And it's Mewtwo...

Why would you want Yoshi to have an infinite before the game even launches anyways? It's going to be patched out and may indirectly nerf something of Mewtwo's in the process. You want infinites for your main to bd discovered when the last DLC character comes out, imo. Worked for Bayo becoming OP. Less time to catch these things, yeah.

Anyways, speaking of Yoshi! He's on the blog today, so for my next entry...

"And the next person to be voted out of Smashvivor...Yoshi."

"Uhwaaaaah?!?" Roy exclaimed in shock. "But I voted for Mewtwo!

"I did vote Yoshi, there should have been two for Yoshi and two for Mewtwo..."

Yoshi got up, spat on the ground, and sighed.

"Yoshi!" (I voted myself out you numbskulls! I told you I was sick of this damn merry go round of bull****! You are all too damn incompetent to vote me out that I voted for myself so I didn't have to spend another bloody second eith you freaking losers! Deuces!")

"Aww look, it's ok Yoshi" Roy said soothingly. He went to hug Yoshi before Yoshi swallowed him up and encased him in an egg, flipping everyone off as he boarded the boat. No one saw though due to the darkness.

"As as planned...I read his mind" Mewtwo thought to himself.

Bayonetta raised a hand.

"Should...we help Roy out of that egg?"

"No." Mewtwo replied curtly as they boarded the other boat back to rest.

"Hello? Helloooo?!? Hi! Hi! Uhhhawahhh! Lemme out I've got 50 more energy drinks bsck at camp and more happy songs to sing!" Roy hyped himself up even in that egg..."

Final 3 folks.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why would you want Yoshi to have an infinite before the game even launches anyways? It's going to be patched out and may indirectly nerf something of Mewtwo's in the process. You want infinites for your main to bd discovered when the last DLC character comes out, imo. Worked for Bayo becoming OP. Less time to catch these things, yeah.
Who would even want that? Everyone would hate the character you love and assume you play as them because they are broken.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Wait, Yoshi's on the blog now? Well I wonder what it will say...

"Today's Fighter
#05: Yoshi
Yoshi is all about egg-related moves, like throwing eggs, swallowing opponents and turning them into eggs, or turning into an egg and charging toward an opponent. With a high jump, recovery is a piece of cake for Yoshi! And for his Final Smash, a Yoshi army stampedes through the stage."

Well not all about egg-related moves, it's mostly aerial game and shield pressure. I'm surprised they mention that much about his moveset with just a few words, so I'm pretty happy with the way it was--

Wait, hold on

"With a high jump, RECOVERY IS A PIECE OF CAKE FOR YOSHI!"

I can't believe they wrote that with a straight face!!!

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Never said I wanted my boi to have an infinite...

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Wait, is Mr. Game and Watch not on the blog yet?!
Strange, I clearly remember him being on the blog at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom