• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Not a bad edit a tad silly as Pyra wasn't censored from what I saw, but... okay?
I've also seen this being passed around, though I'm not sure if it's real or not.

...Yup. Still a vast improvement.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Maaaaaan, where were y'all when Viridi put Chrom on blast?
I don't even like Chrom, but I SO wanted him to roast that *****. ****ting on the CHILD with a dead mom and brother further cements this. Let alone by boy Mewtwo. One day, one day she'll catch these hands. Maybe in a new KI game.

FelFlick

Smash Cadet
Can anyone please provide me with a link where I can see all the information confirmed so far from the leaked game in one place?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Im not even saying they are going to be picks, im just saying there is no reason they cant be picks. I absolutely hate when people say "they arent relevant" when Ultimate added like 3 irrelevant characters (to the general audience) to hype the game's release.

And which character is more "fun" is also your opinion
Well, the developers could think Muddy Mole would be a fun option, but that doesn't mean they'd follow through with making him a full character.

Relevancy and iconicness DO matter, or at least in a majority of cases for the existing characters on the roster. If Nintendo adds a bunch of irrelevant newcomers who people have never heard of before, do you think they'll say, "Wow, this character looks cool! I don't even care that I have absolutely no idea who they are! Their moveset looks interesting and that's all that matters! Day one purchase from me!"? Of course not. People get excited for characters they have a connection with, and if Nintendo was playing it smart, they'd shoot for characters who were both fun AND relevant as opposed to assuming everyone will just buy whatever character they slap on the roster if they look fun enough.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, the developers could think Muddy Mole would be a fun option, but that doesn't mean they'd follow through with making him a full character.
This hurts me.
My very first post on this site was a support post for Muddy Mole, haha. He's definitely my preferred retro character.

Zeox

Smash Champion
do you think they'll say, "Wow, this character looks cool! I don't even care that I have absolutely no idea who they are! Their moveset looks interesting and that's all that matters! Day one purchase from me!"? Of course not.
I mean... I thought Corrin looked pretty cool even if I had no idea who the hell they were...

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Relevancy and iconicness DO matter, or at least in a majority of cases for the existing characters on the roster. If Nintendo adds a bunch of irrelevant newcomers who people have never heard of before, do you think they'll say, "Wow, this character looks cool! I don't even care that I have absolutely no idea who they are! Their moveset looks interesting and that's all that matters! Day one purchase from me!"? Of course not. People get excited for characters they have a connection with, and if Nintendo was playing it smart, they'd shoot for characters who were both fun AND relevant as opposed to assuming everyone will just buy whatever character they slap on the roster if they look fun enough.
:ultcorrin:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Viridi.

Honestly, most of the KIU cast are pretty ****ty people. Fits with Greek Mythos I guess. Many of the "heroes" were jerks.

Except Pit. He's a good kid dealing with a bunch of D-Bags.

Last edited:

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; double posting(please edit your messages instead)
One last thought;
I don't get the hate for :ultdoc::4drmario::drmario:.
A lot of people think he should be counted as an echo fighter considering that he was categorized as a clone character in Smash 4.

I'm telling you, her outfit is held up by Flex Seal.
Her swimsuit outfit shows less skin than her normal one.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The thing about Corrin is that they had two big things going against them:

1. Fates (If) was not being very well-received by a lot of fans from what was shown in the trailers. Things like the Soleil controversy only heightened those misgivings. If you avoided that, maybe the moveset looked cool, but...

2. "ugh, another fire emblem character" was a thing at that point. Older fans of the series wanted an older character. Newer fans either knew of the previous controversies or were interested but not THAT interested because of the fact the game hadn't come out yet. Non fans were indifferent or annoyed at "slot-stealing".

People who played and like Fates at least appreciate Corrin's moveset now, and female Corrin is still fairly popular as a character. The games (Conquest at least) we're pretty well-receved after the edits, too. It was just an initial stigma that was hard to shake off.

I really think if a promotional character with a cool moveset was added and wasn't from an already-repped series, people would be excited. ARMS has a following and people were interested despite the game not being that big in the cultural zeitgeist just because it has cool aesthetics, characters, mechanics, and music.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Im not entirely sure about Sylux, but i do know Rhythm Girl and Porky are effectly big main characters in their respective series. Not only this, but Gigyas is even missing from the spirits list, whom id assume would be a theoretical Porkys final smash or associated with it.

I think people are taking the "promotional" aspect of DLC way too seriously. It never HAS to be a promotional character. Just even looking at the base game, Ultimate added Ridley and K. Rool, and while they have popular fanbases, they have hardly been relevant in recent Nintendo history. Same goes for Simon and Richter. Castlevania is popular, but lets not forget how Konami essentially dropped the series and Simon/Richter are some of the oldest Belmonts. Even Incineroar is about to get phased out nexr year when Gen 8 comes.

I can tell you from a General Audience perspective, MANY people had no idea who Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon were before Smash, yet they are new inclusions made for the game. Their designs and gameplay alone sold people on them. Its exactly how character like Ness, Roy, Pit and IC became popular over time.

All im saying is we only have Smash 4 DLC to go off of in terms of predictions, and even that is hard to base anything off of because it had 3 vets, 2 extremely iconic characters in the form of Cloud and Ryu, who were promoting nothing at the time, Corrin who was a literal "who?" to anyone outside of Japan, and Bayonetta who is not NEARLY as popular as people make her out to be (and she was promoting zilch since her game came out 2 years prior and to this day has sold only 700,000 copies with the switch version too...fyi its not alot.)

So honestly, while basing anything off of spirits is silly in the long run, its not shocking to see Nintendo picking random characters that look fun to play. Why? Because people will gobble it up anyway. I have never imagined K. Rool or Simon to be this popular after Smash. Nintendo could literally make anyone DLC and sell it extremely well.

So yea, we CAN get Sylux, Porky, Rhythm Girl due to their conspicuous absense out of 1300 nintendo or nintendo affliliated characters, especially when their own property has much more obscure characters. We CAN get a promotional rep because why not. We CAN get more iconic characters (i am personally hoping for Banjo). There really isnt a pattern. Literally anyone is up for grabs.
Ridley was absolutely still relevant - he was just the final boss in the 3DS metroid game and he's well more than relevant to Nintendo.

K. Rool was definitely resurrected though. Both have huge support behind them that hasn't gone away since pre-Brawl, but Ridley absolutely has never been a neglected character.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

I agree with you on some instances...but Corrin made several of my students pumped when they saw him at first. Bayonetta was cool for my students who didn’t know who she was, as they did their research on her and ended up downloading the DLC.

Then recently, to my shock, my current students were excited for King K. Rool, never knowing who he was, and Ridley too, although some knew of him. Simon/richter was apart of this too but they knew the Castlevania series, just not the older ones as much but it peaked their interest (especially Richter but I digress)

So while relevancy is important, it’s not a factor. Sometimes the unknown can make you curious. I’ve had some of them even ask me about beating Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 after rehearsal so I assume they got the game due to his inclusion or at least picked it up.

D

Deleted member

I agree with you on some instances...but Corrin made several of my students pumped when they saw him at first. Bayonetta was cool for my students who didn’t know who she was, as they did their research on her and ended up downloading the DLC.

Then recently, to my shock, my current students were excited for King K. Rool, never knowing who he was, and Ridley too, although some knew of him. Simon/richter was apart of this too but they knew the Castlevania series, just not the older ones as much but it peaked their interest (especially Richter but I digress)

So while relevancy is important, it’s not a factor. Sometimes the unknown can make you curious. I’ve had some of them even ask me about beating Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 after rehearsal so I assume they got the game due to his inclusion or at least picked it up.
Wait, you're a teacher? That's really cool!

Zeox

Smash Champion
And his game came out in NA and EU shortly after, meaning he was going to be extremely relevant anyway.
Relevant, but not loved, a lot of people ended up not liking Corrin's character in his/her own game.
If anyone bought the DLC of Corrin was probably because they liked their moveset or design... in fact I been supporting a lot of characters to be in smash not because they were relevant or anything but because they had potential for a cool interesting moveset.
Hell, I will probably main the Piranha Plant not because I want to play as a piranha plant, but because the design of the plant looks pretty fun and interesting.
But I mean, I am me and other people think different so my opinion doesn't represent everyone that will pay for a DLC.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I meant no ill will toward Muddy Mole.

And his game came out in NA and EU shortly after, meaning he was going to be extremely relevant anyway.
Nah it's all good, haha. Not accusing you or anything. Honestly I'm just glad Muddy got a spirit.

Also
This hurts me.
My very first post on this site was a support post for Muddy Mole, haha. He's definitely my preferred retro character.
Ah geez. I just looked it up and it was my second post, not my first. My first was asking if Sukapon could get in as Smash 4's Game and Watch/R.O.B. styled surprise character lol.

yvngfoxtrot

Smash Cadet
NNID
CharlesFoxtrot
Switch FC
SW 2846-8790-7007
As someone who never played any of the Fire Emblem games and hated new FE characters in the roster, I still think Corrin brought enough to the table that was different and fun. Tons of mix up options without being too predictable.

That being said nothing beats Mario's

F O R W A R D A E R I A L

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Unrelated subject but what's your favorite fake non-character leak you wish was real?

I really liked the sound of a song that was a remix of the Captain Toad theme but with a section of people chanting "Kacho! Kacho!". Maybe we can get that with a Captain Toad DLC.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates Viridi.

Honestly, most of the KIU cast are pretty ****ty people. Fits with Greek Mythos I guess. Many of the "heroes" were jerks.

Except Pit. He's a good kid dealing with a bunch of D-Bags.
Yeah Viridi and Hades are pricks but to me personally that's what I love about them. Always had a soft spot for jerk characters in media. Bowser is my favorite character of all time after all.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Alright but they should have added "Virtual Boy ROB" as an alt skin, that way I would have a new main.
too ****ing bad, we still have ROB red and black alt without looking like that

to be honest, it was my favorite ROB alt in smash 4.

beans

Smash Lord
too ****ing bad, we still have ROB red and black alt without looking like that

to be honest, it was my favorite ROB alt in smash 4.
Isnt the virtual rob a Project M skin?
edit:almost double posted

Last edited:

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Is there a chance that someone has saved ALL the tracks that were ripped from the game before they got claimed on YouTube? There are a few tracks I really want to hear :cry:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
What's the latest in leak/rumor/datamining world since Saturday?

I'm hearing about new Vergeben comments, some (fake?) website leak, certain characters being conspicuously absent as spirits and data being found in the files that points at certain characters. Anything else beyond those, or anything to add as updates to those particular findings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom