• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Does anyone have any info on first impressions of the Smash Down mode? Is it any good? Do you actually go through all characters of is it like first to win # of rounds wins the whole thing?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Then she just grabs Zero Suit over the shoulders (an amazing feat as Samus is pretty muscular, and muscle weighs more than fat) and drags her *** to her spaceship, you hear Samus complain before hearing "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU WEARING THOSE GODDAMN YELLOW BOOTS BLUE AND YELLOW ARE NOT COMPLIMENTARY"
That's a lie if I ever saw one.

Unless they pull a Lament of Innocence. Why did they butcher that song
Sometimes I can't tell whether your taste is a facade or horribly picky to the extreme. And that's coming from someone who is incredibly picky with food.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
What's the latest in leak/rumor/datamining world since Saturday?

I'm hearing about new Vergeben comments, some (fake?) website leak, certain characters being conspicuously absent as spirits and data being found in the files that points at certain characters. Anything else beyond those, or anything to add as updates to those particular findings?
Nothing really.
We are really close to the game awars thou, so I doubt something wont surface until then.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I agree with you on some instances...but Corrin made several of my students pumped when they saw him at first. Bayonetta was cool for my students who didn’t know who she was, as they did their research on her and ended up downloading the DLC.

Then recently, to my shock, my current students were excited for King K. Rool, never knowing who he was, and Ridley too, although some knew of him. Simon/richter was apart of this too but they knew the Castlevania series, just not the older ones as much but it peaked their interest (especially Richter but I digress)

So while relevancy is important, it’s not a factor. Sometimes the unknown can make you curious. I’ve had some of them even ask me about beating Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 after rehearsal so I assume they got the game due to his inclusion or at least picked it up.
Relevancy is a huge factor, and that's something I'm not budging on.

I'm glad your students were excited for characters they never heard of, but it should go without saying that not everyone will react to unfamiliar characters the same way. Instead of happily researching a character, many people will be genuinely bitter that a complete nobody got in instead of someone they already know. That's why Sakurai tends to pick iconic third-parties and characters from more recent games. His goal should be to create characters who are both unique and known by a lot of people, but that's a little hard to do that if you put a bigger emphasis on the moveset rather than the character itself. Yes, there are some exceptions (Shulk, Bayo, Richter), but those characters are limited and easily outnumbered by the rest of the roster.

Take Katalina for example. She has a lot of potential, and while she could learn to be appreciated over time, do you think a majority of people would be more excited for her than they would with a Gen VIII Pokemon? With an iconic Zelda character? With someone who the entire Smash fanbase has been begging for since Brawl?

beans

Smash Lord

Sometimes I can't tell whether your taste is a facade or horribly picky to the extreme. And that's coming from someone who is incredibly picky with food.
Was that a ****ing bionicle?
nice

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Nothing really.
We are really close to the game awars thou, so I doubt something wont surface until then.
Well I guess even a better explanation of what I mentioned then. I saw like small snippets as I bounced around getting updated on the character threads but nobody talked about any of them in detail and/or provided links/updates on validity and stuff.

Zeox

Smash Champion
What's the latest in leak/rumor/datamining world since Saturday?

I'm hearing about new Vergeben comments, some (fake?) website leak, certain characters being conspicuously absent as spirits and data being found in the files that points at certain characters. Anything else beyond those, or anything to add as updates to those particular findings?
Well, for starters, they found every single spirit, and every spirit from every boss from brawl... everyone! even Duon! even Rayquaza! even freaking Tabuu! but no Porky, he is missing as a boss, as a spirit and everything in general, even thougth he has been in brawl 2 times, he was in both the 3ds and the wii u version of smash and his stage has returned (and adding a jpg of him for a spirit wouldn't be hard to make), also, Piranha Plant have no spirit in the game, obviously because as we all know is a DLC character, with makes it clear that DLC characters will come with their spirits.
Meanwhile the game have spirits of a lot of secondary earthbound characters like buzz buzz, ness's dad or Salsa.
Makes it more suspicious since Mother's 30 anniversary is next year.
But who knows...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah Viridi and Hades are pricks but to me personally that's what I love about them. Always had a soft spot for jerk characters in media. Bowser is my favorite character of all time after all.
Hades and Viridi are jerks done right because they are very transparent about their motivations while still making it clear they are selfish and arrogant beings. Plus they both engage in intriguing dialogues with heroes, showing they have smarts to match them.

yvngfoxtrot

Smash Cadet
NNID
CharlesFoxtrot
Switch FC
SW 2846-8790-7007
So this has probably been brought up before but with the whole base roster out, if they were to release DLC costumes for characters, what would you like to see realistically? (Basically model changes similar to legendary skins in Overwatch)

My vote for OoT and TP Link~

beans

Smash Lord
Well I guess even a better explanation of what I mentioned then. I saw like small snippets as I bounced around getting updated on the character threads but nobody talked about any of them in detail and/or provided links/updates on validity and stuff.
Oh, welp we only have the same bosses since saturday confirmed.
Minecraft content will be a boss, but we dont know the format, if its a boss fight or a spirit or a fighter or if its DLC. Just vague stuff

D

Deleted member

the man who goes by the internet username "vergeben' has been missing for 5 days straight as of the time of this report

officials say that they have found tufts of green hair soaked in urine on his bed as well as a note that reads: "I wonder if you'll ever get to take a break, my friend"

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So this has probably been brought up before but with the whole base roster out, if they were to release DLC costumes for characters, what would you like to see realistically? (Basically model changes similar to legendary skins in Overwatch)

Gooigi or Mr. L please

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

First of all, both examples have plenty of white, especially the former. Second, the formee is cyan. Third, these aren't "All blue and snotty yellow at the end", which absolutely isn't complimentary

Sorry for hearing the original song which is objectively better

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Nah it's all good, haha. Not accusing you or anything. Honestly I'm just glad Muddy got a spirit.

Also

Ah geez. I just looked it up and it was my second post, not my first. My first was asking if Sukapon could get in as Smash 4's Game and Watch/R.O.B. styled surprise character lol.
I looked at that thread. Was Artsy Omni just a regular guy on here back then?

Splatoon 2 :ultinkling: and Dry :ultbowser: should happen.

osby

Smash Obsessed
First of all, both examples have plenty of white, especially the former. Second, the formee is cyan. Third, these aren't "All blue and snotty yellow at the end", which absolutely isn't complimentary

Isn't Samus half-bird? I don't think she's an expert on colors, aside from picking the stuff with most blue and red.

beans

Smash Lord

Armored Mewtwo.
Also every pokemon we already have, but with scarfs;

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

MGS1 Snake gets my vote

Oh and Bearded Ryu

osby

Smash Obsessed

TP Zelda characters, because I'm obsessed.

Samus Returns armor because I can't wait Metroid Prime.

Jeanne skin for Bayo because this one is butt-ugly.

Beard alt for Ryu because why not

beans

Smash Lord
Half human, half bird and half jello monster. 100% Badass.

Actually does the SA-X have a Spirit? Sounds like a missed opportunity not to have it
I think there is a Dark Samus alt for SA-X, but it could be just regular Samus.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I've also seen this being passed around, though I'm not sure if it's real or not.

...Yup. Still a vast improvement.
I mean eh? I guess, I like it but either way is fine really.

Its not super intrusive so yeah, its good.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Just saw this. What I want would be......
:ultbayonetta:Fancy Dress
:ultbowser:Meowser, Wedding
:ultcloud:Miss Cloud
:ultganondorf:Hyrule Warriors
:ultluigi:Mr. L
:ultlucina:'Marth'
:ultmewtwo:Armour
:ultchrom:Easter Chrom
:ultsamus:Samus Returns Varia, Samus Returns Gravity, biological looking Fusion suit
:ultrichter:SotN look
:ultsnake:Crocodile disguise
:ulttoonlink:Jammies

Ivander

Smash Legend

They still have Blue and Yellow. And Cyan is still Blue. It's made from Blue, so Cyan is still Blue no matter how much you twist it. Just like Gold is still yellow. No twisting your way out of this one.

And never said the original song was worse. But the Smash version is certainly not a butchering. Not like Iron Blue Intention. The Smash version of IBI is not bad, but damn it is so quiet, especially after the loud and triumphant Judgement version.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Sounds like that would cause a lot of unnecessary licensing issues, not to mention that it'd be one giant mess of completely unrelated content. "Buy Banjo and
Sounds like that would cause a lot of unnecessary licensing issues, not to mention that it'd be one giant mess of completely unrelated content. "Buy Banjo and you'll get a Minecraft stage with all your favorite tracks from Halo!"

If we get a Microsoft character, I expect that character's franchise to be repped and nothing else. We've never gotten "company oriented" content before, and I doubt DLC is the appropriate time for Nintendo to worry about getting the rights for simple things like music and Spirits.
In all fairness, Geno is an inactive, niche character who's entirely associated with the Mario series, and the licensing for Sonic was already out of the way when Bayo got added.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems VERY unlikely Sakurai would do something like a "Microsoft theme". If I purchase Banjo, I expect a Banjo stage, not a Minecraft stage.

As inactive as Geno has been, I dont think people give the character enough credit. While any speculation I normally have is usually based on how marketable a character is, we know that this isnt always the case based on past character choices.
Once again, I'll say this. For a niche character, Geno's mii costume got the most attention. Not by fans mind you, but by the creator himself in form of a character reveal style introduction. I doubt they would take this costume out of the game completely and replace it with a spirit icon when the 3d models of the costume are still assets they can use.

Why not K Rool? Heiachi? Zero? Many characters who are more relevant than Geno you could say deserved that lime light for a costume reveal.
Ill agree that he is a mario associated character, and should be considered as such. But, thats why his return will probably be along side another Square rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom