• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, where can I find one of those Baseball Bats? :chuckle:

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Coat kid proved to everyone how powerful he truly is, I’m proud.

Also it seems that D-Tilt into U-Smash is still true for Greninja, at least on fast-fallers like Captain Falcon.

D

Deleted member

Here are the next dates for the Japanese Tournaments. Have fun making fake leaks out of these dates. :denzel:

Screenshot (1145).png

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>internet cuts out just before coat kid loses

it wanted to save my precious eyes

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
'Ight, so what's wubba dub-dub hubbub tonight? Children bopping/getting bopped in Smash? What's this about 3-stocks? Is every losing player Little-Mac-ing?

[Status Report]
There are a lot of characters who are MIA at the moment. I'm gonna give it about a week or 3 months before anything substantial shows up. Keeping an eye out for any leaks is fruitless at this time. Don't let go of any hope just yet though. Hype responsibly.

Here are the next dates for the Japanese Tournaments. Have fun making fake leaks out of these dates. :denzel:

View attachment 179290
Will Piranha Plant be available by the fourth tournament listed there, I wonder?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I separate Nintendo games into 2 categories:

The "Has Yoshi In It" games and the "Doesn't Have Yoshi In It" games :yoshi:
I hear the "Has Yoshi In It" market has been very unsuccessful compared to the other category.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I separate my games into 2 categories as well.

Games that I like.
Games that are successful.
smt1 hero sad.jpg

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

You could argue that Yoshi had nothing to do with their sales, but I never said they had to...
didnt breath of the wild sell like hotcakes

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
Don't know if this has been already pointed out but :

To whom it may concern, Urbosa is a Spirit confirmed (well I mean after seeing Revali in the direct there was little doubt anyway...)
ZSS, Gerudo Valley Battlefield form, Electric floor.

I love it.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
We interrupt this thread to bring you an amusing Smash related tweet:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

You may now resume activity :ultkirby:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I hope it's the highest selling Switch game, it certainly deserves it.
It might be. There was a period of time this week where I believe Amazon ran out of physical copies to sell for pre-orders. They seem to be back up now, but you actually couldn't pre-order the game. Melee was the best-selling game on the GameCube, and Brawl was #8 on the Wii, behind Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros., and all the casual games like Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit.

But that's the thing: the casual market. They make up the bulk of any game's sales. Most people who purchase Ultimate will pick it up for maybe a week or so and then move on. Many games sell millions of copies, but are very lucky if even one million people consistently play the game after the first day or two. It's the hardcore audience who will stick around for months and years, but they alone can't fully prop up a game's sales. Street Fighter V did this a couple years ago, appealing only to the hardcore market who only cared for just competitive versus matches and would play those for months, but failed to appeal to the casual market by having features/modes for casual players who may have just wanted to play the game for a little while, and it flopped. Compared to Mortal Kombat X, which had tons of features and modes to appeal to the casual audience, while also having enough polish and depth to appeal to the hardcore audience as well, becoming one of the best-selling games of all time.

Smash is one of the rare games that has a very strong hardcore audience as well as a strong casual audience. That's how Sakurai designed the game; to be easily accessible for all players, but to be deep enough for those that really want to get into it to play it at a higher level. Plus, he loads the game with other modes and features so that there's a variety of activities to do to keep thing from getting boring, but not to the detriment of the core game. And then there's also all the items, stages, and other elements of the game that the hardcore competitive scene mostly ignores anyways, but make the game more special and exiting for others.

Will it outsell Mario and Mario Kart? Maybe. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it does happen, especially with how the game has been marketed and propped up as Nintendo's biggest game this year, along with it releasing in a window where it's pretty uncontested (that is, all the other big AAA games have already come out in October and November, so all the attention in December is on Ultimate). Plus, there's a lot of people who skipped Smash 4 due to the Wii U/3DS, but have picked up the Switch, so it'll definitely do better than Smash 4 did.

I see it clearing 10 million sales within a year, easily.

okaytimeforsleepbecauseIgottawakeupinlessthan5hourstoworkagain

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I really hope that none of the DLC characters are spoiled this time around. Unlike some other users here, I would rather be completely surprised with whatever characters we get. Roy and Ryu were the only DLC characters from the previous installment to have been leaked due to files being datamined, so I'm hopeful that Nintendo has taken extra precautions this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom