• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I prefer Frank West or Phoenix Wright in terms of a 3rd Unique Capcom rep.
Especially with the unique level up mechanic, and item stocks for Frank.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As cool as Strider is, I'd rather just take Hayabusa. If I wanted a futuristic ninja, I'd just choose Raiden because he's better.

If we get 3 Street Fighter characters then dude...Capcom's living the life of luxury.
Konami's definitely getting it better than Capcom considering how much of a trainwreck they've been the past few years.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
As cool as Strider is, doesn't he have some weird ownership issues?
Like, him being owned by both Capcom and a manga artist (Moto Kikaku)? Yeah, things like that make me a bit uncertain, but I don't think that would completely count him out....

As cool as Strider is, I'd rather just take Hayabusa. If I wanted a futuristic ninja, I'd just choose Raiden because he's better.

Konami's definitely getting it better than Capcom considering how much of a trainwreck they've been the past few years.
Why not both ninjas? I was sort of leaning toward that option...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, I can’t imagine he’s too difficult to getm cause he always appears in MvC games and his likeness was used on SF5.
Like, him being owned by both Capcom and a manga artist (Moto Kikaku)? Yeah, things like that make me a bit uncertain, but I don't think that would completely count him out....
I just bring it up because IIRC Strider wasn't in vanilla MvC3 because of ownership issues with his manga company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just bring it up because IIRC Strider wasn't in vanilla MvC3 because of ownership issues with his manga company.
Yeah but otherwise, he's a mainstay in the Vs. Series before and after.
I'd say that if they're willing to use him for Mahvel, they'll be fine with Smash.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If Strider is originally from a manga, I do believe that immediately cuts him out unless you're going to argue for Goku again.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I still stand by Waluigi and Ashley (and now I'm adding Isaac to this list of characters) getting in would cause legitimate bad PR for Nintendo because it'd make people accuse them of pandering to a toxic group of people, no matter how small a minority toxic Waluigi or Ashley fans are.
Dumber **** has happened.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If we get 3 Street Fighter characters then dude...Capcom's living the life of luxury.
It's funny, I want Phoenix Wright in so badly to the point that he's my number one plausible want, but I can't deny I'd even be down with four reps. Chun and then Bison would be so sick.

I think it helps that not only is SF iconic it's also easy to think of dream team ups and matchups between SF and Nintendo characters.

D

Deleted member

If Strider is originally from a manga, I do believe that immediately cuts him out unless you're going to argue for Goku again.
Wasn’t the Strider game originally supposed to be out before the manga, but it was delayed? Strider’s a multi-media thing, plus he’s so much more well known as a VG character than a manga character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I still stand by Waluigi and Ashley (and now I'm adding Isaac to this list of characters) getting in would cause legitimate bad PR for Nintendo because it'd make people accuse them of pandering to a toxic group of people, no matter how small a minority toxic Waluigi or Ashley fans are.
Yeah and adding Ridley pandered to a slightly larger than small amount of toxic people.

The overall net PR was, to put it lightly, positive.

Dumber arguments have happened, but that doesn't mean you should keep pushing this one.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wasn’t the Strider game originally supposed to be out before the manga, but it was delayed? Strider’s a multi-media thing, plus he’s so much more well known as a VG character than a manga character.
So is Goku (talking multi-media), and he's got tons of games. DBFZ even made it to EVO and it's just an anime game.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
We shoudn't add K Rool, some parts of his fanbase are toxic and we don't wanna pander to those guys.
We shouldn't add Ridley, some parts of his fanbase are toxic and we don't wanna pander to those guys.
We shouldn't add Mario, some parts of his fanbase are toxic and we don't wanna pander to those guys.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Are you seriously gonna argue Goku is more well-known as a videogame character than as a manga character?
That's why I put multi-media in parenthesis, you just drew your gun faster than I could realize "wait that sounds wrong".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We shouldn't add Mario, some parts of his fanbase are toxic and we don't wanna pander to those guys.
I've been pushing for Mario's exclusion for years. I'm only allowing him this time because no cuts, but in the next game, he needs to be out.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah so as DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon said, I wasn’t supporting the box theory to brag. I was in it for trying to play it safe and convince others to keep their expectations in check.

Similar to the Grinch leak, everybody who wanted the “theory” to be dead disagreed with it or tried to make people forget about it at all costs. They slandered Box theory supporters, they said it was stupid to believe it, and deluded themselves into believing something that they wanted to be true despite the fact that there was actual evidence to support the opposite.

That’s the weird thing with Smash. Similar to what Sakurai was saying the other day, even if you’re trying to please the most amount of people possible, you can’t win. You simply can’t please everybody, and despite the fact that this usually works for most situations, it doesn’t with Smash. People have absolutely no clue of how to temper expectations or their wants.

Obviously, a good section of fans are kids or teenagers. Regardless, it’s childish behavior. I’ll just flat out say that plenty of people either act like children or man-children with this game.

I love this community, but the behavior in regard to the box makes me happy and content if this is the last game where I speculate for characters.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Yeah and adding Ridley pandered to a slightly larger than small amount of toxic people.

The overall net PR was, to put it lightly, positive.

Dumber arguments have happened, but that doesn't mean you should keep pushing this one.
That is a good point, but even though Ridley's fanbase had a lot of ***** in it, Waluigi would probably cause more discourse because he's considered the "normie" character now. Big news publications wrote articles all about how Waluigi was "robbed" and stuff like that. I've never seen the Washington Post write about how Ridley got robbed in Sm4sh, have you?
Waluigi getting in would cause a majority of positive net PR, any Smash character does, but there'd probably be more backlash than there was for Ridley because Waluigi is now more of a "meme" character than he was. The only backlash for Ridley I saw is Shokio getting salty and yelling that he'd always feel like a boss character no matter what.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's why I put multi-media in parenthesis, you just drew your gun faster than I could realize "wait that sounds wrong".
Difference is that Dragon Ball started out as a manga, and then branched out Into a videogame. Strider was always intended to be a video game as well as a manga. That was part of the deal.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Difference is that Dragon Ball started out as a manga, and then branched out Into a videogame. Strider was always intended to be a video game as well as a manga. That was part of the deal.
So like how Midway was trying to make a tied-in videogame to movie series?

Forget Strider, let's get Bruce Willis.

D

Deleted member

Yeah so as DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon said, I wasn’t supporting the box theory to brag. I was in it for trying to play it safe and convince others to keep their expectations in check.

Similar to the Grinch leak, everybody who wanted the “theory” to be dead disagreed with it or tried to make people forget about it at all costs. They slandered Box theory supporters, they said it was stupid to believe it, and deluded themselves into believing something that they wanted to be true despite the fact that there was actual evidence to support the opposite.

That’s the weird thing with Smash. Similar to what Sakurai was saying the other day, even if you’re trying to please the most amount of people possible, you can’t win. You simply can’t please everybody, and despite the fact that this usually works for most situations, it doesn’t with Smash. People have absolutely no clue of how to temper expectations or their wants.

Obviously, a good section of fans are kids or teenagers. Regardless, it’s childish behavior. I’ll just flat out say that plenty of people either act like children or man-children with this game.

I love this community, but the behavior in regard to the box makes me happy and content if this is the last game where I speculate for characters.
People just tend to get so agressive when it comes to Smash. It’s weird.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Isaac fans have been chill af since the Direct remove Isaac from this

D

Deleted member

Literally no one would care. You overestimate how many "toxic" people there are in both characters' fandoms and the amount of people who care about those people.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Oh I know, but I recall within this thread a whole conversation a couple of days ago about how "rabid" Isaac fans were after the final Direct.
Again, doesn't matter if it's a minority or not, people will treat it like it's a majority.
Literally no one would care. You overestimate how many "toxic" people there are in both characters' fandoms and the amount of people who care about those people.
Do I? Because I certainly don't think I do.
Perhaps you are right, though.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I don't think anyone who supported the box theory wanted it to be true, lol.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Can I see where this Isaac meltdown started?

I need it for..."Research".

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah.

They got really smug (in an excited and joyful way, if that makes sense) when the Grinch leak dropped, and when the sprout item was shown by accident they got really hyped. I expected a fallout once Kencineroar was revealed and he was shown to be an Assist but they've been really cool about it.

I'm proud of you, Isaac fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom