• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I am kind of glad that Isabelle is not really like a cold-hearted killer within the fanon like villager was because what made Villager that way was the fact that his happy face doesn't really change (Especially in Smash 4), which gives off a notion that he is happy of he's hurting others no matter how painful it might be to that person within a fight. You don't get that with Isabelle because 1) She talks unlike villager, 2) Her smile is not as creepy in comparison and 3) She's show a wide range of emotions in her dialogue compared to villager as well. It's why early fanart of Isabelle using Villager's fanon personality traits is off-putting to me.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I am kind of glad that Isabelle is not really like a cold-hearted killer within the fanon like villager was because what made Villager that way was the fact that his happy face doesn't really change (Especially in Smash 4), which gives off a notion that he is happy of he's hurting others no matter how painful it might be to that person within a fight. You don't get that with Isabelle because 1) She talks unlike villager, 2) Her smile is not as creepy in comparison and 3) She's show a wide range of emotions in her dialogue compared to villager as well. It's why early fanart of Isabelle using Villager's fanon personality traits is off-putting to me.
but ive already see picture of her letting the Villager fall off the stage and not helping him up, one of her capturing him in a net with a smile and another of her ****ing shootin him

Iridium

Smash Hero
Kamek at least plays a big role in the New Mario Bros U stage (or whatever the name is)
I guess. I was looking at it like how Knuckles is both part of a stage (albeit for an insignificant appearance) and an AT, and there's always Rathalos...

It's kind of 50/50 for Kamek, honestly.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Even still, you should control your hype. This is coming from someone who had to learn to do that

I appreciate what you're trying to do here, but as someone who tried and failed to manage hype during Ultimate speculation, it won't work.

Also Hitagi is as credible as ever, so I don't understand your original point or this one. No one's taking what he says as gospel, but it's good to have someone saying something to keep us sated.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I should absolutely point this out even though it has nothing to do with smash

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Remember how king K. Rool got saved this might be another one of those scenarios if banjo wins
TFW Earthbound, a series that it's creator says is finished is up for that award but Advance Wars isn't.

SMH.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Look at it like this

All the other original Smash franchises got ATs EXCEPT for Yoshi. Even Earthbound and F-Zero got them...
I don't think it's a slight against Yoshi.

It's purely that Sakurai sometimes thinks about things outside of the box rather than the obvious.

Poochy, for example might seem obvious, or even Kamek listed as a Yoshi assist.

But he also likes to add very kooky assist trophies just as he does kooky fighters.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Isaac fans got it bad?

Try being a Shadow fan and seeing Knuckles as an Assist, no sign of Shadow, and not only multiple Echo Fighters, but multiple third-party Echo Fighters. :p
This guy gets it.

Isaac's had it bad for a long time, but in terms of how bad Shadow fans have gotten it, it's been way worse treatment bottled up in one smash cycle. Isaac fans have just had it kinda bad for a long time, like K Rool fans until he got revealed.

Ugh. Unless Sakurai resigns and writes a tell-all, we may never know if Shadow was either never on Sakurai's radar for being an echo, was rejected by him for certain reasons, or was going to be an echo but Sega said no. I think it's most likely that Sega said no because Sega loves to make ridiculously asinine decisions when it come to their IPs...Sonic Mania being a very notable and fantastic exception

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Also, consider the repped franchises that DON'T have ATs yet. :ultyoshi::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultcloud:

6 of those make sense due to the limited source material. Yoshi and Final Fantasy are noticeably lacking them, but FF has the unfortunate excuse that Square is being a bunch of stingy buttheads...

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
What other unused content do you guys think is a possibility besides the two I mentioned?
Yeah I really wouldn't be surprised if Shadow and/or Black Knight were originally going to be echos, but got the boot at the last second and their models got the assist treatment. I feel like there's gonna be a lot of juicy info in the data, more than Wii U and 3DS.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Also, consider the repped franchises that DON'T have ATs yet. :ultyoshi::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultcloud:

6 of those make sense due to the limited source material. Yoshi and Final Fantasy are noticeably lacking them, but FF has the unfortunate excuse that Square is being a bunch of stingy buttheads...
Punch Out has loads of characters that could be ATs though

D

Deleted member

Punch-Out has way more AT material than you seem to be giving it credit for. Bald Bull and Aran Ryan immediately come to mind.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I just read Sakurai's interview with gameinformer. I think it gives a lot of insight why Sakurai chooses characters how he does and why he keeps saying each smash is the last one. Specifically, this passage:

You’ve been creating Super Smash Bros. titles for two decades now. As the release of Ultimate looms, how do you look back at your time with the series to this point? Do you have any highlights or favorite memories?

You may not sense that, but it is actually a miracle every time we’re able to create a Smash Bros. game. It’s a bit different from any other game series that regularly comes out with new installments. Unless we get approval from all of the I.P. holders who are involved in this game, we can’t make this game. And every time, we are walking a fine line.

Especially after I left HAL Laboratories, normally, games continued to be developed by the remaining company. But instead, Mr. Iwata created a development team centered on the director who became freelance. That was his call.

Without that decision, I can easily imagine that we could not release this Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the best possible shape at this point.

In Western markets, the game is called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which carries two potential meanings. On one hand, “Ultimate” can mean “the best version of something,” which could apply to the idea that everything is in this game. However, “Ultimate” can also mean “final” or “end of a process.” Do you think this game is the end of a chapter in any regard?

With the background I just explained here, every time I work on this game, I’ve devoted myself to making it under the assumption, “this is the last one.” That said, I have no idea what future holds, so I can’t deny that there’s no next one either.

I think Sakurai revealed here why he has kept saying each Smash game could be the last one. A creation like Smash Bros is really such a majestic, gigantic cluster**** when it comes to copyrights and IP and legal issues, yada yada yada. From what I've read of everything Sakurai's said about this game's development, he's been taking it a bit easier himself but still can't tear himself away from the work. He's married to this job and as long as there is demand, as long as Nintendo edicts it, and as long as Smash can somehow keep managing the legal side of things, he'll be making Smash games or content.

That being said, with Sakurai emphasizing how much of a miracle Ultimate is, I will not be surprised if he either retires and Smash is over, or he passes the torch to someone else, or ends on a high notes and ports Ultimate to kingdom come. OR perhaps he'll eventually do a reboot in 6, 7 years with Thanos snapping half the cast. Idk. As much as we want our favorite characters in the next installment though, I think we shouldn't let that ruin what we have coming up just around the corner.

Speaking of which: I think I cracked the code as to why characters like Shadow and Isaac aren't in based on this tidbit:

"I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?"

Seems to me Sakurai maybe viewed Shadow as too similar to Sonic and a typical figher in the lineup that wouldn't be very interesting. Sadly since Shadow was so expected, Sakurai may be correct in terms of the broader community's viewpoint. ;-; Idk. It's so weird to me that Shadow's now in AT hell for three straight smash games and would have been the easiest echo after Ken.

"Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well."

"unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises"

That just SCREAMS Isaac and Chorus Kids to me ;-;

Overall the interview was quite revealing on its face but even more so if you read between the lines. I'm pretty hyped for the game and am definitely going to enjoy it when it comes out, but the future for Smash looks murky as ever post-DLC.
Dear god I hope Sakurai didn't dismiss Shadow for being "too similar to Sonic", cause being similar is the whole freaking point of Echoes. Ken is blonde Ryu with a love of kicks and fire. Richter is Simon's descendant with different clothes and blue Holy Water. Dark Pit is literally black Pit as an anti-hero. He also put in Chrom, the fourth FE character to have blue hair, a sword, and derive from Marth's moveset. There's no way Shadow was rejected for matching the template so well.

It's just (in my opinion) the single biggest wasted opportunity of this game's roster, and seeing how long this game is expected to last along with Sakurai's reasoning for Piranha Plant being in, I feel like Shadow's going to be stuck waiting for a very long time again.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't think it's a slight against Yoshi.

It's purely that Sakurai sometimes thinks about things outside of the box rather than the obvious.

Poochy, for example might seem obvious, or even Kamek listed as a Yoshi assist.

But he also likes to add very kooky assist trophies just as he does kooky fighters.
Okay then, Yoshi has PLENTY of material to work with outside of the obvious Kamek and Poochy.

Like the Spirits from Yoshi: Topsy-Turvy

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Punch-Out has way more AT material than you seem to be giving it credit for. Bald Bull and Aran Ryan immediately come to mind.
Glass Joe would be hilarious.

Actually, make him an echo, but like Melee Pichu in that he plays like Pikachu but is dangerous to himself

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So from what I've read today, we're getting Steve and a literal Red Herring as playable characters.

Red Herring will be SSS+ tier and will win EVO, calling it now.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

The only franchise without ATs that surprises me is Punch-Out. There are a lot of characters that could be really fun Assists.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Aran Ryan would be an amazing assist trophy. The lack of Punch-Out representation kinda hurts - with all of the sweet remixes for all of the opponents in Punch-Out Wii, they could have a pretty big list of tracks, but for some reason they don't even have all 3 title defense themes iirc.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
I just read Sakurai's interview with gameinformer. I think it gives a lot of insight why Sakurai chooses characters how he does and why he keeps saying each smash is the last one. Specifically, this passage:

You’ve been creating Super Smash Bros. titles for two decades now. As the release of Ultimate looms, how do you look back at your time with the series to this point? Do you have any highlights or favorite memories?

You may not sense that, but it is actually a miracle every time we’re able to create a Smash Bros. game. It’s a bit different from any other game series that regularly comes out with new installments. Unless we get approval from all of the I.P. holders who are involved in this game, we can’t make this game. And every time, we are walking a fine line.

Especially after I left HAL Laboratories, normally, games continued to be developed by the remaining company. But instead, Mr. Iwata created a development team centered on the director who became freelance. That was his call.

Without that decision, I can easily imagine that we could not release this Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the best possible shape at this point.

In Western markets, the game is called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which carries two potential meanings. On one hand, “Ultimate” can mean “the best version of something,” which could apply to the idea that everything is in this game. However, “Ultimate” can also mean “final” or “end of a process.” Do you think this game is the end of a chapter in any regard?

With the background I just explained here, every time I work on this game, I’ve devoted myself to making it under the assumption, “this is the last one.” That said, I have no idea what future holds, so I can’t deny that there’s no next one either.

I think Sakurai revealed here why he has kept saying each Smash game could be the last one. A creation like Smash Bros is really such a majestic, gigantic cluster**** when it comes to copyrights and IP and legal issues, yada yada yada. From what I've read of everything Sakurai's said about this game's development, he's been taking it a bit easier himself but still can't tear himself away from the work. He's married to this job and as long as there is demand, as long as Nintendo edicts it, and as long as Smash can somehow keep managing the legal side of things, he'll be making Smash games or content.

That being said, with Sakurai emphasizing how much of a miracle Ultimate is, I will not be surprised if he either retires and Smash is over, or he passes the torch to someone else, or ends on a high notes and ports Ultimate to kingdom come. OR perhaps he'll eventually do a reboot in 6, 7 years with Thanos snapping half the cast. Idk. As much as we want our favorite characters in the next installment though, I think we shouldn't let that ruin what we have coming up just around the corner.

Speaking of which: I think I cracked the code as to why characters like Shadow and Isaac aren't in based on this tidbit:

"I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?"

Seems to me Sakurai maybe viewed Shadow as too similar to Sonic and a typical figher in the lineup that wouldn't be very interesting. Sadly since Shadow was so expected, Sakurai may be correct in terms of the broader community's viewpoint. ;-; Idk. It's so weird to me that Shadow's now in AT hell for three straight smash games and would have been the easiest echo after Ken.

"Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well."

"unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises"

That just SCREAMS Isaac and Chorus Kids to me ;-;

Overall the interview was quite revealing on its face but even more so if you read between the lines. I'm pretty hyped for the game and am definitely going to enjoy it when it comes out, but the future for Smash looks murky as ever post-DLC.
It also may be possible that he never considered Shadow and just made him an Assist like he's always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom