• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Guile
He's Guile... Need I say more?
Literally untouchable and undefeatable. He's basically just a breathing, living taunt, and I enjoy that.

Otherwise, through bias, I'd choose Shadow or Isaac. And Black Knight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guile
He's Guile... Need I say more?
You can tell Sakurai really has a background in fighting games when Guile's default behavior is that of a campy player charging Flash Kick and throwing out booms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Assists I'm most hyped for are Bomberman, Guile, and the Moon.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Actually, there's a lot of characters as ATs I like...

Shadow, Knuckles, Isaac, Guile, Black Knight, Bomberman and Gray Fox pretty much are leading the list for me.

Edit: Add Alucard & Zero. You see what I mean?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm most excited about my boys Shovel Knight and Rodin.

But I love that Flies & Hand is a thing. That's my childhood right there.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I finally understand your profile picture. This whole time I thought she was some girl from Night Trap or something
Nah, just a simple badlass Irish WWE superstar named Becky Lynch (AKA The Man and also AKA The Champ)

Iridium

Smash Hero
I really don't want to be the first player to die to Kapp'n, to be honest. His function is hilarious, but embarrassing for whoever gets caught (well, maybe).

Which reminds of how I still haven't seen Ridley try to fit in that bus yet...

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
How could I forget Kapp'n.

He's easily the funniest ****ing assist trophy ever added to Smash Bros.

''Come with me on my murder bus, we're going for a ride."

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
My most hyped assists are Klaptrap, Alucard, the return of Gray Fox, and the Moon. Yuri looks pretty cool too, although I don't know that much about Fatal Frame

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Isaac fans got it bad?

Try being a Shadow fan and seeing Knuckles as an Assist, no sign of Shadow, and not only multiple Echo Fighters, but multiple third-party Echo Fighters. :p
Oooh, and he was the first assist trophy shown in that direct too, ouch.

I'm still loving how this game looks, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little devastated by that turn of events, given the buildup.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
So...What Assist Trophy are you all looking forward to the most?
Isaac. He was my most wanted character before the release, so seeing him as an assist was pretty damn crushing, but he still looks better than he ever has in this game and since starting Golden Sun I'm starting to think I like Felix as a newcomer better ngl

I also love how the Guile assist is just a reference to SF online players. Spring Man and Yuri are very, very cool too.

Also am I the only one who legit wants a DLC pack of new assists? Legit, Magnus, Infantry & Tanks, and Saki (unless they're getting the fighter upgrade which I doubt) getting cut really sucks, along with Duster not being an assist. They could even bring back some Brawl assists like Jill (Drill Dozer not RE obvs) and Excitebikers.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Isaac fans got it bad?

Try being a Shadow fan and seeing Knuckles as an Assist, no sign of Shadow, and not only multiple Echo Fighters, but multiple third-party Echo Fighters. :p
I swear to god Shadow was supposed to be an Echo, but SEGA backed out and turned him back into an Assist, and after seeing all the hype over Richter & Ken/disappointment over Shadow they're regretting it.

Seriously if you had told me in January that freaking Richter Belmont would make it into Smash before Shadow I would have laughed at you. It just does not make sense to me for there to be 7 Echo Fighters in a game with 8 players; either one was cut or Sakurai didn't expect their popularity to blow up as much as it did (which they should totally capitalize on, I mean Chrom's playing like five roles at once so why can't Shadow do the same?).

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I swear to god Shadow was supposed to be an Echo, but SEGA backed out and turned him back into an Assist, and after seeing all the hype over Richter & Ken/disappointment over Shadow they're regretting it.

Seriously if you had told me in January that freaking Richter Belmont would make it into Smash before Shadow I would have laughed at you. It just does not make sense to me for there to be 7 Echo Fighters in a game with 8 players; either one was cut or Sakurai didn't expect their popularity to blow up as much as it did (which they should totally capitalize on, I mean Chrom's playing like five roles at once so why can't Shadow do the same?).
I do wonder if Sega rejected the notion of Shadow being an echo. He seemed like the easiest/most obvious inclusion. Maybe they thought it'd be a poor reflection of his character? Idk

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It would not surprise me if Shadow having been planned as an Echo is found in the database of Ultimate when it gets hacked.

This is probably the next best likely unused content alongside the Rhythm Heaven character being scrapped yet again.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I just read Sakurai's interview with gameinformer. I think it gives a lot of insight why Sakurai chooses characters how he does and why he keeps saying each smash is the last one. Specifically, this passage:

You’ve been creating Super Smash Bros. titles for two decades now. As the release of Ultimate looms, how do you look back at your time with the series to this point? Do you have any highlights or favorite memories?

You may not sense that, but it is actually a miracle every time we’re able to create a Smash Bros. game. It’s a bit different from any other game series that regularly comes out with new installments. Unless we get approval from all of the I.P. holders who are involved in this game, we can’t make this game. And every time, we are walking a fine line.

Especially after I left HAL Laboratories, normally, games continued to be developed by the remaining company. But instead, Mr. Iwata created a development team centered on the director who became freelance. That was his call.

Without that decision, I can easily imagine that we could not release this Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the best possible shape at this point.

In Western markets, the game is called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which carries two potential meanings. On one hand, “Ultimate” can mean “the best version of something,” which could apply to the idea that everything is in this game. However, “Ultimate” can also mean “final” or “end of a process.” Do you think this game is the end of a chapter in any regard?

With the background I just explained here, every time I work on this game, I’ve devoted myself to making it under the assumption, “this is the last one.” That said, I have no idea what future holds, so I can’t deny that there’s no next one either.

I think Sakurai revealed here why he has kept saying each Smash game could be the last one. A creation like Smash Bros is really such a majestic, gigantic cluster**** when it comes to copyrights and IP and legal issues, yada yada yada. From what I've read of everything Sakurai's said about this game's development, he's been taking it a bit easier himself but still can't tear himself away from the work. He's married to this job and as long as there is demand, as long as Nintendo edicts it, and as long as Smash can somehow keep managing the legal side of things, he'll be making Smash games or content.

That being said, with Sakurai emphasizing how much of a miracle Ultimate is, I will not be surprised if he either retires and Smash is over, or he passes the torch to someone else, or ends on a high notes and ports Ultimate to kingdom come. OR perhaps he'll eventually do a reboot in 6, 7 years with Thanos snapping half the cast. Idk. As much as we want our favorite characters in the next installment though, I think we shouldn't let that ruin what we have coming up just around the corner.

Speaking of which: I think I cracked the code as to why characters like Shadow and Isaac aren't in based on this tidbit:

"I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?"

Seems to me Sakurai maybe viewed Shadow as too similar to Sonic and a typical figher in the lineup that wouldn't be very interesting. Sadly since Shadow was so expected, Sakurai may be correct in terms of the broader community's viewpoint. ;-; Idk. It's so weird to me that Shadow's now in AT hell for three straight smash games and would have been the easiest echo after Ken.

"Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well."

"unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises"

That just SCREAMS Isaac and Chorus Kids to me ;-;

Overall the interview was quite revealing on its face but even more so if you read between the lines. I'm pretty hyped for the game and am definitely going to enjoy it when it comes out, but the future for Smash looks murky as ever post-DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom