• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This. In my case however, I'm an awfully-slow learner, so I can relate. I feel like the only idiot "artist" who's at fault for not knowing how to draw realistically at this point. Being terrible at math also contributes to my incompetence because a lot of art is strictly precise and flawless utilization of depths and proportions.
Dude, you're not the only one who can't draw realistically. My drawings range from cartoony to outrageously cartoony.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
50/50. There's no telling what Namco would want to do for their second rep (if there is one).

This. In my case however, I'm an awfully-slow learner, so I can relate. I feel like the only idiot "artist" who's at fault for not knowing how to draw realistically at this point. Being terrible at math also contributes to my incompetence because a lot of art is strictly precise and flawless utilization of depths and proportions.
I can't draw and lack the desire and motivation to get good at it but honestly, style over substance any day! So what if you can't draw realistically? Find a way that fits you well!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
That's literally all there is to it though!
I know it's cliche, but just a year ago I sucked. Hard. And now I suck moderately less!
Practice actually does make perfect :laugh:
I've been a writer since I was 10 or 11. I wasn't actually a good writer until I was 19 or 20. Granted, I didn't receive anyone else's feedback during that time and was mostly self-taught, but it had a lot to do with just practice, reflection, and maturing.

I've dabbled in visual art, too, and improved a little bit over the years, but haven't put in nearly as much time or practice, so I'm still very amateur.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Friends! What I'm about to show you may shock you beyond all comprehension!~
Prepare yourself for what you're about to witness with your very own eyes...

What's this!? Cloud showing actual emotion!? Does he look, dare I even say...happy!? I wonder how this came to be! Clearly that wonderful courageous feathery companion he's riding on holds all the answers. Not even Final Fantasy's most serious protagonists can resist the pure joy a chocobo brings to one's soul! The two make for quite the perfect heroic pair!

Now it's clear who must join Cloud by his side in Smash Bros. It's time for Chocobo to bring Cloud's smile back~

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

What's this!? Cloud showing actual emotion!? Does he look, dare I even say...happy!? I wonder how this came to be! Clearly that wonderful courageous feathery companion he's riding on holds all the answers. Not even Final Fantasy's most serious protagonists can resist the pure joy a chocobo brings to one's soul! The two make for quite the perfect heroic pair!

Now it's clear who must join Cloud by his side in Smash Bros. It's time for Chocobo to bring Cloud's smile back~
Cloud isn't really that serious though he's a ****in bumpkin

Iridium

Smash Hero
If only... People falling out of Fsmash is the worst thing, and I hope it's fixed.
You know, I think you should check out Paradigm & Erico on Twitter. They have pretty good info on Shulk and retweet some good clips that demonstrate techniques and such (i.e. MALLC is back). I'd think you're familiar with them...

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
That's literally all there is to it though!
I know it's cliche, but just a year ago I sucked. Hard. And now I suck moderately less!
Practice actually does make perfect :laugh:
I've been a writer since I was 10 or 11. I wasn't actually a good writer until I was 19 or 20. Granted, I didn't receive anyone else's feedback during that time and was mostly self-taught, but it had a lot to do with just practice, reflection, and maturing.

I've dabbled in visual art, too, and improved a little bit over the years, but haven't put in nearly as much time or practice, so I'm still very amateur.
I genuinely suck at drawing traditionally as I don't have a steady hand at all. 3D modeling is the only artistic medium that really clicked for me. Of course like anything, it takes a lot practice and patience but it certainly pays off in the end.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You sure? Ever since Dissida, he's been a pretty serious sam.
I mean...I've learned enough about 7 to be sure about that

Don't tell that to Square, though. They'll be trying to push his edgy, angsty side until the end of time.
Saddens me. I was under the impression he WAS just edgy and angsty until I did my research.

D

Deleted member

You know, I think you should check out Paradigm & Erico on Twitter. They have pretty good info on Shulk and retweet some good clips that demonstrate techniques and such (i.e. MALLC is back). I'd think you're familiar with them...
I am familiar with them, but I just don't care enough to learn all the gimmicky Shulk nonsense.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Only if we get a Miss Cloud costume with Takahiro Sakurai pulling a Jason Spisak tier vocal range for a more feminine voice

For those who don't know, Jason Spisak voiced Bartz in Final Fantasy Dissidia, his gimmick was that he could mimic other characters, and Spisak was able to mimic their goddamn voices too

Iridium

Smash Hero
I am familiar with them, but I just don't care enough to learn all the gimmicky Shulk nonsense.
Okay, well, I'm certain they fixed his hitboxes for the most part like you hoped, although I hear b-air doesn't hit from behind anymore...

Also hoping Yoshi looks as good as aMSa makes him look in Melee when tournaments begin, because Zinith Zinith pretty much convinced me to secondary the guy.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Okay, well, I'm certain they fixed his hitboxes for the most part like you hoped, although I hear b-air doesn't hit from behind anymore...

Also hoping Yoshi looks as good as aMSa makes him look in Melee when tournaments begin, because Zinith Zinith pretty much convinced me to secondary the guy.
Yoshi can be quite fun so Zin steered you in the right direction.

D

Deleted member

Bair does not hit in front anymore. It still hits behind. The overall duration may be shorter though (Nairo claims the late hit has been removed, but bair never had a late hit), and it's parallel to the ground instead of being angled slightly up. It also has less landing lag.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Bair does not hit in front anymore. It still hits behind. The overall duration may be shorter though (Nairo claims the late hit has been removed, but bair never had a late hit), and it's parallel to the ground instead of being angled slightly up. It also has less landing lag.
I see I worded that wrong. That's what I meant, actually. Doesn't hurt the move that much anyway.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yoshi can be quite fun so Zin steered you in the right direction.
Well, he convinced me about this probably a month ago or so, but I got reminded. I'm even playing him right now...

Anyway, I was planning to start a doubles tourney in addition to singles so I can go double Yoshi with him.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just got payed, lads! My paychecks are inconsistent, and I thought I might not have enough money in time for Smash. But now I don't have to worry!

IT'S SMASH TIME LADS!

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Dude, you're not the only one who can't draw realistically. My drawings range from cartoony to outrageously cartoony.
I can't draw and lack the desire and motivation to get good at it but honestly, style over substance any day! So what if you can't draw realistically? Find a way that fits you well!
Drawing cartoons/anime isn't a problem. Knowing realism and life art actually helps with the former, since breaking the rules requires learning the rules first. A lot of talented illustrators (and literally all of my artist pals) can draw realistically, but choose to draw under a certain style because they know exactly how to bend and warp anatomy in a way that still works. Just look up early Kirby concept art to see what I mean. Even weird and quirky styles have a method to their madness, since they follow a consistent formula.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Drawing cartoons/anime isn't a problem. Knowing realism and life art actually helps with the former, since breaking the rules requires learning the rules first. A lot of talented illustrators (and literally all of my artist pals) can draw realistically, but choose to draw under a certain style because they know exactly how to bend and warp anatomy in a way that still works. Just look up early Kirby concept art to see what I mean. Even weird and quirky styles have a method to their madness, since they follow a consistent formula.
I probably should learn to draw realistically, but it's so hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom