• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Changes I would make to Echoes(Chrom and Ken are fine as they are):
:ultlucina: Down B is now like Shulk's; Final Smash is Tempest Trial, where she summons a vortex in the middle of the stage
:ultdarkpit: Neutral B is a weaker version of the Staff item
:ultdarksamus: Missile is replaced with a rapid fire shot, can be angled up or down slightly; Down B produces a copy of herself, pressing it again will have the clone perform an A move.
:ultrichter: Holy Water now works like it does in SotN's Richter Mode, lingering less but moving slightly forward; FS is now Hydro Storm
:ultdaisy: forcibly removed her from the game
Wha... Remove Daisy?? You must be on drugs

D

Deleted member

Melee sucks
No Smash game is terrible. But Melee is my least favorite though.
LUCINA AS A CHROM ECHO MAKES NO SENSE. STOP USING THAT ONE INFORMED ATTRIBUTE AS EVIDENCE, IT'S BULL**** AND THEY FIGHT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, THE CUTSCENE IS JUST TALKING ABOUT HOW LUCINA LEARNED HOW TO FIGHT WITH CHROM, NOT LEARNED HER FIGHTING STYLE FROM HIM.
You didn’t yell loud enough. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We talking about giving more changes to echoes? Okay.

:ultchrom:
- Side Special changed from Double-Edged Dance to a Javelin Toss, giving him a projectile. As well, it propels him forward slightly when used in midair.
- Down Smash is changed from two low sweeps to Chrom leaping skyward and planting Falchion into the ground, causing a shockwave.
- Jab is changed from Roy's awkward one to Chrom doing a three step jab: swipe, shoulder bash stab, upward uppercut-like swing.

:ultlucina:
- Final Smash becomes Galeforce, where she pulls out Geirskögul and does two quick dashes front to back across the screen using it.

:ultdarkpit:
- A few moves now incorporate claws.

:ultdarksamus:
- Down Smash becomes the tentacle thing her assist did.

:ultrichter:
- Holy Water travels horizontally.
- Hydro Storm Final Smash.

:ultken:
- Already perfect.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wha... Remove Daisy?? You must be on drugs
I call it... mercy.
*snap*

We talking about giving more changes to echoes? Okay.

:ultchrom:
- Side Special changed from Double-Edged Dance to a Javelin Toss, giving him a projectile. As well, it propels him forward slightly when used in midair.
- Down Smash is changed from two low sweeps to Chrom leaping skyward and planting Falchion into the ground, causing a shockwave.
- Jab is changed from Roy's awkward one to Chrom doing a three step jab: swipe, shoulder bash stab, upward uppercut-like swing.
You know you just made Chrom a semiclone now, right?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So by calling them stern, that means they're basically emotionless or at least always serious?
Excluding Ike, basically. I'd argue Shulk too but he is literally described in the game as being too serious. I mean he stole Reyn's line for a taunt.

Mercy... mercy for who?
It's an Infinity War reference

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Luigi The President Luigi The President
Why did you fell in love with Katalina again?

Boop
Hey Shi, good question

So basically in the middle of my Katalina hating flurry I actually saw a pic of Katalina and was like....wtf her design's cool as hell. So I looked her up on her wiki, and actually grew very attached to her character! She has a very caring personality and I really enjoy her design. So those two factors mixed to make a character I actually like lol.

And as a Geno fan, I'm used to rooting for the underdog. I decided to give Katalina a chance. A few years ago I never would have, since I was a true Smash elitist-but now I've realized that if I like a character, I'm free to want them in Smash lol.

Hope that explains.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Daisy needs to be removed and recalled because she doesn't say Hi I'm Daisy. Until she does, I refuse to believe she exists in the game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know what peeves me?
Sword user's down smashes.

They're always that ****ty frontslash-backslash. Heck, even Link who you would suspect would do the spin-slash keeps that to his grounded upB and makes room for the frontslash-backslash.

Though I guess Shulk has that weird tornado which I guess is unique.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, it's becoming late, I need to take my leave. See you tomorrow.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Daisy needs to be removed and recalled because she doesn't say Hi I'm Daisy. Until she does, I refuse to believe she exists in the game.
Yeah it does bother me that she doesn't do that in one of her taunts. That's it, I'm canceling my pre-order, all because of that.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Okay, here's this, for those who haven't seen:

So it seems like Luigi gets some slight intangibility on his Luigi Cyclone. A fair trade for the lack of distance, but I'll still expect some discontent anyway.

Everyone talking about "Hi I'm Daisy" and here i am wondering where her third eye is.
You're giving me some bad memories...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'know what peeves me?
Sword user's down smashes.

They're always that ****ty frontslash-backslash. Heck, even Link who you would suspect would do the spin-slash keeps that to his grounded upB and makes room for the frontslash-backslash.

Though I guess Shulk has that weird tornado which I guess is unique.
Cloud's got his weird "hit you with the hilt of my sword which somehow knocks you backward and then I stab you" thing. That's something...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Shulk does that tornado move, but Chroy definitely do the swipe-swipe. I'm 99.9% sure.
Yeah, Chroy do swipe-swipe. In PM, Roy spins similar to Shulk, so that might be the cause of confusion.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You're cancelling your preorder because of that? I'm cancelling mine because K.Rool's just another Fire Emblem character
I'm so tired of all these Fire Emblem characters. I mean, we already have 76 of them. Isn't that enough?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Hey, nice to see more positivity around here. aside from obligatory 'anime swordsman' rant
I generally try to be positive about things. Unless I have good reason to be pessimistic, I like to give things at least the benefit of the doubt. I was a little cynical with Smash 4, because I didn't agree with a lot of the statements and decisions that were made regarding characters and features (though I still played and enjoyed the game for countless hours), but Sakurai seems to have learned from that and has been on fire with Ultimate, despite the lack of some features, characters, or other content. The game isn't perfect, since no work of art can be totally perfect, but it's improving on a lot of the previous game's flaws.

And yeah, sorry. I just personally don't like anime stuff or see the appeal, but I know that a lot of people do love those characters, hence why I put "anime swordfighters" in quotes, because I don't disagree with the term (it's not incorrect), but I know that it's a little too dismissive of the characters or their merits. Just having an anime aesthetic and wielding a sword shouldn't disqualify a character, so long as they bring something unique to the table. And those characters are very popular and loved, so I can't begrudge their inclusion too much. People who go so far as to insult others or act snobby about it are just as annoying to me as they are to anyone else.

At the same time, one of the things I love about Smash is that it's able to incorporate so many diverse character designs, personalities, and playstyles. In Ultimate alone, we've gotten a purple space dragon, a fat crocodile that can shoot cannonballs, a dog secretary, a professional wrestler that's also a fire elemental, a vampire hunter with an variety of unique weapons, a squid kid with an arsenal of ink weapons, and a potted plant. So when more and more characters fall under the "heroic swordsman" archetype, often with an anime design, it gets a bit tiring. Especially when there's so many other games and media that have that as well (Fire Emblem even has its own Warriors game with characters that aren't playable in Smash), so oversaturing Smash with it seems unnecessary. Sakurai has felt the same way, too, hence why Robin and Corrin were added over Chrom and Lyn, who don't have as much going for them.

Not that I think there shouldn't ever be any more added to the game. Again, if the character is popular and loved, and can bring something unique to the table, that's fine. Just so long as it's in moderation. I don't know anything about the Black Knight character outside of his Assist Trophy, but I've said that if he could be made playable as a big, slow character, but with super armor, like Aganos from Killer Instinct or Abigail from Street Fighter V, I'd be all for it. He's also a villain, too, so his personality would be something new.

I admit, I freaked out a bit when Chrom was revealed, because I knew then that of the two Echo Fighters that were revealed, Dark Samus now had only one more chance to be shown (Echo Fighters stopped the idea that, say, Dark Pit took away Ridley's opportunity, but now they've created their own category of competition). But then I said to myself that a lot of people have been really wanting Chrom, and this is making a lot of people happy, so it's fine. I enjoy character announcements that make other people happy almost as much as I enjoy ones that make me happy. And then Dark Samus was shown right after, so the galaxy is at peace.

Tbh, most of the Project M alts look like butt.
They're at least more professional and consistent than most other mods. The Dark Samus and Ridley mods for Brawl look like and play like mega butt. Project M shows that different alt costumes like that can be done without interfering with gameplay, since they focus on the gameplay just as much as the designs.

The national anthem of the Soviet Union
Malo Mart from Twilight Princess
Unfortunately, none of the tracks in the game can be anything less than super energetic, so Malo Mart's probably a bit too tame. I'd lose my mind if that got in, though.

Malo should be an assist trophy that, I don't know, buys out enemy franchises and replaces them with Malo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom