• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMario

Smash Master
People thought they'd be since David Hayter confirmed that CODECs weren't coming back, so everyone got sad and thought the worst.

I REALLY hope they don't skimp out on the DLC Guidances this time though.
They'll suddenly know who Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Corrin, and Bayonetta are

But not the Piranha Plant :V

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
People thought they'd be since David Hayter confirmed that CODECs weren't coming back, so everyone got sad and thought the worst.

I REALLY hope they don't skimp out on the DLC Guidances this time though.
If they do skimp out on the DLC Guidances, I hope they at least do it in an amusingly fourth wall breaking manner and not like how they did it in Smash 4.

“Pit, I’m sorry, I don’t have any data on your opponent!”
“Why not, Palutena?!”
“Because... we haven’t had time to get back to the recording studio and record our lines for this!”
“Wha- Hey, wait a sec... you’re not supposed to let them hear that!”

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Some rep from Nintendo also said Ultimate was built from the ground up. Nintendo reps aren't that reliable.

D

Deleted member

Crocomire is the most op Spirit in Ultimate.
He gives you the Croco-vision, and makes your opponents melt in lava with the power of the “Yay!”

Yay!

Hey, that’s the artwork the Orpheon uses! (Pretty sure he made it too)
Someone finally understood the reference!
Yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ugh I can't believe half of the DLC will be Mario characters, I'm tired of Sakurai's biases.
If it was up to me, I'd clean the Mario roster to look like this:
:ultmario::ultdoc::ultyoshi:
And that's it. Luigi is just another Mario, Bowser is a Yoshi clone, Peach is a lazy Daisy clone, Wario is disgusting, Bowser Jr. is a Bowser clone, Rosalina is a broken Peach and Daisy is a bad Rosalina clone. This way you keep only the characters that best represent the series without bloating it with three clones of each character.
It's him!!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
When it comes to cutscenes, we should be looking more for quality than quantity.

Subspace was cool at the time because it was a huge project at the time. However, the story was poorly told and seemed to contribute more of “oh cool, they nodded at each other and started running”.

This has potential to be much cooler. Let’s hope it is.
I dunno, even through the small, silent information, you could still glean motive and action.
Also it was just super cool. Subspace makes up for its lack of narrative by just being totally badass

I still love moments like Sheik jumping up to murder Fox after he accidentally attacks Peach.
How Peach gives her parasol to G&W to diffuse the situation.
MK teaming up with the FE characters was awesome.
Pikachu and Samus wrecking shop in the Subspace factory and killing Ridley together was awesome.
Captain Falcon bringing Olimar for the ride, and calling the Blue Falcon to escape.
Lucas going on his quest to **** up Wario and get Ness back, then him and PT killing Galleom and falling to their almost deaths. (Thanks MK)
The Starfox characters being Big Damn Heroes, then getting dragged along by Diddy was pretty funny.
Pit and Mario vs Link and Yoshi was awesome, especially when they run up the hill and try to kill the other.
R.O.B. being the ancient minister was an awesome way of implementing him in a meaningful way.
King Dedede saving the day, and kicking bowser's *** twice.
I also really loved the pre-Great Maze cutscenes. The triforce uniting was great.
And of course, THE INVASION.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
...I feel like I've said this a couple times on this thread already, but I'll say it one more time. From what I understand, Sugiyama only seems to care about the orchestrated tracks being used. So long as Smash only uses the Midi versions, I don't think he'd really mind.

Before someone asks me "would he really allow the japanese to only have the MIDI tracks?", the answer is yes. Yes he would. Here are videos of the japanese versions of DQ11 and DQHeroes still having the MIDI tracks: DQ11 / DQHeroes

If, for some reason, they couldn't get the music because of Sugiyama (which I don't think would be the case as long as only the MIDI tracks were being used) then they could always just pull music from "Dragon Quest Swords" and be done with it. I hear he didn't compose the music for that game.

It seems like you and your friend have a negative opinion on DQ music as a whole, so I thought I'd go ahead and post some of my personal favorites so you could see that the series does have some beautiful music. You don't have to listen to them all, but I'm just throwing these out there:

The ocean

Memories of a Lost World

Days of Sadness

Mysterious Tower

Homeland

Lively Village

Strolling in the Town

I could post more, but I'll stop it there.
Thank you friend I actually had not found DQ music that wowed me, most of my opinion had been on the DQ11 music. As that music was very underwhelming for me. I will admit my opinion comes from inexperience with the series, but from the few I had heard I did not like. That being said thank you for showing me these amazing music tracks, it does help in seeing if I would be excited for DQ music in Smash. The Ocean one is very beautiful and the rest are also very interesting. They sound very Disney music like in their sound, in that it has that sound of fantasy behind it. I still prefer Yoko Shimomura's music, but I wouldn't mind seeing how these tracks would be implemented in Smash Ultimate. If there was music from DQ heroes due to possible problems, what music tracks do you think they will use?

Ah thats good to know that Sugiyama would not be a problem in getting the DQ music in Smash Ultimate. That being said the major roadblock now is Square, as they seem to not be willing to cooperate in allowing more music in Smash. Thank you for helping me understand the DQ music situation more, much appreciated. I can now more clearly compare chances between Sora and a DQ rep getting taking the Square spot.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Hohoho the Chrom one will be interesting.

That's new dialogue for anyone not in Smash 4 and DLC 7. And maybe some Smash 4 characters will have new ones.
Not sure what it is, but Gamexplain said Link has a new one, yet almost every veteran besides him doesn't.

D

Deleted member

Hohoho the Chrom one will be interesting.

That's new dialogue for anyone not in Smash 4 and DLC 7. And maybe some Smash 4 characters will have new ones.
I hope the chrom one just has Viridi mocking chrom for being a Roy clone instead of an ike clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm back. What's new? The only things I know about are unique bosses at the end of each Classic Mode and Palutena's Guidence returning. What else?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I don't like the prospect of the DLC containing anyone from Fire Emblem 3 Houses or the upcoming generation in Pokémon. It just tells me that the only reason Rex and Spring Man weren't included was due to Nintendo having very little faith in their games sales-wise. When Xenoblade 2 and ARMS performed well under JRPG and fighting game standards, it was already too late to do anything with them. Because of that, they're forever out of Smash as candidates given where the franchise is currently headed.

The thought of it just sucks since up until the last Direct, the worst case scenario was the Grinch leak being fake. The actual Direct went onto spurring many theories about Stickers deconfirming characters left and right, Assist Trophies further deconfirming more potential DLC candidates, and now some of the Mii Fighter outfits to rub salt in the wound. We didn't get a "meh" Direct. We got a mass genocide. If the above ends up being the case for DLC, I can imagine the higher-ups in Nintendo shrugging off their error in underestimating Xenoblade 2 and ARMS to this sound effect while channeling their inner-Pachter:
"I guess they weren't flops like we predicted. Whoops!"

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I’m not even kidding right now, I was on the Goku support thread so I’m really hyped by the fact that we got a Yūyūki spirit. I didn’t expect that. I like my retro picks.
For real??

Well, they said that he can’t be an Ike clone because he doesn’t have Aether, but now he does have Aether but he’s a clone of Roy anyway. So they have a lot to talk about.
I hope Chrom at least points out that at least HE still got to be playable, while Viridi's stuck playing 'Peanut Gallery'.

D

Deleted member

Well, they said that he can’t be an Ike clone because he doesn’t have Aether, but now he does have Aether but he’s a clone of Roy anyway. So they have a lot to talk about.
“Oh look, you managed to borrow one of Ike’s moves, big deal. You still don’t have any unique attacks!”

StormC

Smash Hero
I see.

It is unfortunate that some view speculation as a waste of time now.

It feels as if you guys wanna move on, throwing speculation in the trash as if nothing happened.

I get the debates and leaks made the viewpoint on speculation more negative that led to the build up of that perspective, but still. :/

Even as someone who did not get 3/4ths of my newcomer predictions right, this current atmosphere on speculation feels off to me.
Personally, speculation is at the bottom of the barrel because it feels like we're moving away from the bigger, more important characters in terms of support groups. People would rather rally behind characters like Geno or Shantae than Dixie Kong or even Bandana Dee - that's not a mark against those characters, but I'm just not interested in the focus on niche fan favorites these days. The "Elite Four" of Smash 4 speculation were so to speak, Mega Man, Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool, and THAT was interesting because those were all very interesting, famous characters with so many reasons to be in Smash.

More and more I'm seeing fanbases act baffled because their obscure favorite didn't make it in no matter how many hoops they jump through to try to justify why they would be in. Support threads are turning genuinely unpleasant, and honestly, there's little point in support now that all DLC characters are picked and it's looking pretty unlikely there is going to be a "season 2" of DLC. Those threads better pray Spirits don't mean anything or it will get ugly.

I finally, finally got the two characters I've wanted for the past decade. I'm just done. The characters the community is talking about at large don't really interest me anymore. I'm going to get this game, enjoy the hell out of it, and anticipate DLC, but the actual speculation, the snarky back-and-forths, the tribalistic attitude support groups have taken towards each other, the frankly mediocre-to-terrible ability for most people to speculate and read the writing on the wall (myself included, really) just makes the whole scene unpleasant. Everyone wants to be the next "K. Rool/Ridley" of speculation but has a fundamental misunderstanding of why characters like those blew up and took the speculation scene by storm.

The game is out soon and we'll know everything about it. We'll get some DLC and that will be it. Then Smash will go back on the shelf as an IP for a long time. The next time it comes out, I'll be there to play, assuming the cuts aren't too brutal, but I doubt I will still be speculating online. I'm too old for this.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Oh my god, Falcon Punch's new animation is OUTSTANDING.

That's fantastic.

It's always looked like a falcon, but now it's clear and crisp.
Mmmm, that's good.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
How would you guys react if in Metroid Prime 4, Sylux is actually revealed to be a girl, like Samus in the original Metroid. I know that Sylux has been referred to as male before, but only in text, which is the same as Samus in the original Metroid manual. So it could happen.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom