• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Hehe controversial opinion:
Everyone is obviously allowed to like whatever they want and Idk if anyone even CARES about what I liked in the smash series...
But I really could care less about break the targets or home run contest.
If anything, I’m a little relived because I didn’t like those lodes and always hated having to play them over and over and over to unlock the challenges bc I was so bad at them:p
Would welcome a customized break the targets like melee had, but that was so long ago I barely remember it;*
I’m happy that they focused their attention elsewhere instead of on those modes.

For those who ARENT, I’m sorry and I hope you at least enjoy all the new features :-)
I enjoyed Break the Targets in the first two Smash games when every character had their own version, but the incarnations in Brawl and Smash 4 were lame and not worth bringing back. Giving over 70 characters their own unique target stages would take a lot of time and resources as well.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We've reached the point where I'll be genuinely sad if Steve isn't Smash DLC
If I don't get Sora or Joker, then Steve is my third most wanted third party, and I've accepted we're not getting Joker so he's more my second most wanted third party.

Don't get me wrong, Banjo is cool, but Steve is EPIC. Memes aside, I actually want him in the game because there's a lot he could bring.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If I don't get Sora or Joker, then Steve is my third most wanted third party, and I've accepted we're not getting Joker so he's more my second most wanted third party.

Don't get me wrong, Banjo is cool, but Steve is EPIC. Memes aside, I actually want him in the game because there's a lot he could bring.
"Banjo has more moveset potential than Steve" is a take I see too often that cracks me up

He could build, people
What more do you need

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
There was talk on victory animations earlier, and I'm proud to say I really love Bowser's new fire-breathing victory animation; much more fitting than his former shell-spinning one.
Well Bowser makes everything perfection (he’s a Pimp Daddy/Mama after all)
The first year of Evo for Smash ultimate is going to be lit
Hopefully that can be the case and not be something bad

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Alright, let’s get this thread back on the right path.

Who are you predicting the 5 DLC fighters to be? At least list 1.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey! I may be changing it soon, but I still like this pic
You may like it, but I'm tired of Yoshi making bedroom eyes at me.

Please change your avatar man.

My predictions largely remain the same:
  • Sora/Erdrick
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Steve
  • Euden
  • Doom Slayer

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's dumb. This franchise is dumb, Opossum Opossum .
I mean if it helps at all, Marth isn't completely unrelated. Anri's just his great granduncle instead of his great grandfather and apparently that was enough for him to be considered a descendant even though that's not really how it works.

And if it helps even further, Altea's line of succession was actually incredibly controversial in-universe and led to Gra breaking away from Altea to become its own country, so you weren't the only one to think it was dumb. :p

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

I'm still thinking that Banjo is very likely, but that's just because I trust PapaGeno because he's my Papa.
I also think Sans would be amazing and I will defend him till I die.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I'm still holding out hope for Poochy...

You may like it, but I'm tired of Yoshi making bedroom eyes at me.

Please change your avatar man.
I will, but my boi is just looking cute and nothing more...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But seriously though.
How the **** did Priam even get the Ragnell.
It's not like it's Ike's personal legendary sword, that **** is a national treasure of a country.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if Ike just straight up forgot to return it and kept it.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Sakurai bias
There is no such thing as Sakurai bias. He’s the creative director. He doesn’t have to pander to every whim of the community if the games are selling. If he wants a Kid Icarus character, he can add one in. If he wants an enemy to be playable, he can add it in. If he wants to add in Slime from the Dragon Quest franchise, he can do that too. "But what about Kirby being the main character in World of Light?" Kirby is canonically one of the strongest characters in the roster, being able to go toe to toe against gods and multi-dimensional beings as well as saving the universe multiple times. If anyone stands the best chance against Galeem's power, it's him. People don't have to like all of the decisions Sakurai makes. They're entitled to their opinions, but there is no such thing as Sakurai bias. At least, I don't think there is.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I enjoyed Break the Targets in the first two Smash games when every character had their own version, but the incarnations in Brawl and Smash 4 were lame and not worth bringing back. Giving over 70 characters their own unique target stages would take a lot of time and resources as well.
I think the only way to have a satisfactory Break the Targets (Not my idea, I've just seen it thrown around before so thought I'd mention it) for the people who want individual Target tests back is the "**** it, go make them yourself!" they did with Mario Maker and let you create Target tests for each character. Even better if just like Mario maker it's possible to share them online and have all these different difficulty target tests for each character. So even if you're not quite creative enough to make one for every character you can just grab your favorites.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Target Smash in Brawl was fairly boring due to the same 5 stages over and over and over again. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the only mini-game in Classic Mode. It got too repetitive.

On the other hand, Target Blast!! has multiple stages, there's actually something worth getting when replaying it(instead of just higher scores, you can get trophies or customs), and the custom and trophy icons are moved around fairly often, meaning that the RNG keeps it from being literally the same thing over and over again. It's varied enough to keep you going. Can it be boring? Yeah. But it at least is different each time(though I'm sure some icon placements gets repeated, it's just not at a high rate to make it feel like doing literally the same thing over and over and over again).

I'll take Target Blast!! over Brawl's lame Target Tests any day. That said, I'd rather Classic just got more mini-games again. Some kind of Trophy Rush variant(but with Spirits), a remake of Target Test(individual) or just redo Target Blast with tons of alternate formations.

I also want to see what all the new modes are. Including what is fully removed. As poor as Stage Creator could be, it was still fun to re-create old stuff. Like Meta Crystal.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

SE rep
Steve
Namco Bandai char
Nintendo IP char
Bethesda char

I am not completely sure but hopefully they seem like good guesses.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I might be remembering this wrong, but wasnt Megaman considered dead until Smash For? Isnt that one of the reasons people were really hyped about Megaman´s inclusion?
At the time of Mega Man's reveal in Smash 4, his most recent game, Mega Man 10, was only about three years old.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

As of right now:
  • Bandanda Dee
  • Edelgard
  • Elma or KOS-MOS
  • Steve
  • Agnes
Replacement Choices:
  • Tails
  • Rayman
I'm fairly confident that Bandana Dee and Edelgard will be DLC.

I'm only putting Steve down due to Verge. If Minecraft were to be introduced as DLC, I doubt it would just be spirits (unless those spirits are in the game already).

I do think we'll probably get a Xeno rep as DLC. I just don't know who.

Bravely Default is the most logical Square IP from a marketing standpoint IMO. It's had exclusive ties to Nintendo and Square has constantly teased the 3rd game coming to Switch.

Tails and Rayman are 2 other 3rd party characters I can see Nintendo pushing.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Raise your hand if none of your top 5 became playable in Ultimate.
*raises hand* 3 out of the 5 are Assist Trophies, the fourth is a Mii Costume, and Nintendo hasn't acknowledged the fifth in a decade. FML.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

We don’t have much to go off of other than maybe what Nintendo might want to promote. Three Houses is the easy guess and Edelgard would be neat to me

Melmetal is relevant with the PLG release . Low chance but not impossible

Other than those I’m in the dark. If I had to guess, maybe a shocking character, a third party, and some other less shocking first party

Shocking character may very well be Waluigi. As weird as it is to say unironically. But it’s safer to bet against that.

Third party could be that squenix character everyone thinks is happening (doubt). Could be someone easier to work with instead.

Less shocking first party could be anyone from a popular series that may or may not be in dire need of a character. Like, a Zelda character whoever that may be. Maybe a 4th Link or a third Zelda or a second Ganon/dorf. Or a Kong.

Any of those could also end up being some indie character since Nintendo likes to push those and they’re the ones who picked which characters Sakurai could approve

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Hey, why did I received so many notifications overnight- oh, right, anthros."

Raise your hand if none of your top 5 became playable in Ultimate.
Eh, I wanted Isabelle. Though, personally I found this newcomer roster weaker than previous two games overall.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
There is no such thing as Sakurai bias. He’s the creative director. He doesn’t have to pander to every whim of the community if the games are selling. If he wants a Kid Icarus character, he can add one in. If he wants an enemy to be playable, he can add it in. If he wants to add in Slime from the Dragon Quest franchise, he can do that too. "But what about Kirby being the main character in World of Light?" Kirby is canonically one of the strongest characters in the roster, being able to go toe to toe against gods and multi-dimensional beings as well as saving the universe multiple times. If anyone stands the best chance against Galeem's power, it's him. People don't have to like all of the decisions Sakurai makes. They're entitled to their opinions, but there is no such thing as Sakurai bias. At least, I don't think there is.
I agree, while Sakurai is the one that makes a lot of the decisions he's not the only one who has a say on everything that happens with the game, not to mention the situation could be so much worse in terms of "imbalanced roster choices" as much as I love MvC 2 I thought it was a little ridiculous that X-Men took up almost the entire Marvel group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom