• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The best part is Smash is out soon so I don't have to dwell on whether this was worth 60$ for long.
That's why my goal is to wear the game out before Smash releases and trade it in for a guaranteed $30. I'm pretty sure Gamestop still does that for games released in the last 30 days. At that point it's an $18 three week rental.

Let's do it, buddy.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's why my goal is to wear the game out before Smash releases and trade it in for a guaranteed $30. I'm pretty sure Gamestop still does that for games released in the last 30 days. At that point it's an $18 three week rental.

Let's do it, buddy.

That's a pretty good idea, but I think i'll keep it around. Just in case you can transfer Meltan to gen 8.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Looking at all the content and the level of care that went into Smash Bros. Ultimate, and the overall quality of the presentation, and then comparing it to Let's Go, I start to think... ehhh.... I mean I hesitate to call any game developer "lazy", because I know how difficult it is to develop a game, and I almost don't think that the decisions behind Let's Go were made out of laziness, they were just very misguided for the most part. But when I see footage and it looks like an upscaled 3DS game with the same stiff animations that are inferior to the animations from Pokemon Stadium, an N64 game (made by HAL, which developed the first two Smash games), and there's less content than in FRLG, a remake that came out 14 years ago for the GBA, then I start to wonder.

I'm honestly not buying it, I'll probably buy the Gen 8 game tho

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
These are a lot of overgeneralizations.

Most other fighting games in this day and age have far more unique clones than Smash's echoes. If echoes were introduced to other fighting games, they would be talked about less than unique characters as well. That's human nature.
Clones in particular are counted by both the community and Sakurai given that they're numbered and talked about independently, the exception being echoes.
"We" don't do anything as "we" are all different people with how we view characters.
That said, nobody doesn't treat them like they don't exist on the roster.
Not everyone complains when they don't come back.

Stop trying to attack a made up amalgam of this "fanbase" and actually talk to people if you're so confused.
Uh...there are people who definitely DO discount them from the roster. To the point that they are actively not counted when talking about newcomers.
Im also not talking about people talking about them less, im talking about how they wouldn't even be treated as spots on the roster during speculation which I saw a lot of during this cycle.

Also don't....really get why you are seemingly taking this personally. Of course Im not saying 100% of everybody in the fandom does that. There's a crapton of people in the fandom so no matter what is said it's likely to be a generalization to a degree. I thought that was obvious enough to be understood. It's just a big enough thing I have seen during this cycle on forums that it caught my attention.
It's kind of weird as well when you argue no one treats them like they don't exist on the roster when the person I was responding to had said people do just that and have been for several games now :/

Also....I did ask. That's what I have been doing here. Asking why that was happening and you seem to be getting angry with me for doing it so not sure exactly what you want from me........

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey y'all.
Came by to say we're now 20 days away from Smash Ultimate.

20 days.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Looking at all the content and the level of care that went into Smash Bros. Ultimate, and the overall quality of the presentation, and then comparing it to Let's Go, I start to think... ehhh.... I mean I hesitate to call any game developer "lazy", because I know how difficult it is to develop a game, and I almost don't think that the decisions behind Let's Go were made out of laziness, they were just very misguided for the most part. But when I see footage and it looks like an upscaled 3DS game with the same stiff animations that are inferior to the animations from Pokemon Stadium, an N64 game (made by HAL, which developed the first two Smash games), and there's less content than in FRLG, a remake that came out 14 years ago for the GBA, then I start to wonder.

I'm honestly not buying it, I'll probably buy the Gen 8 game tho
The thing to remember about Let's Go is that it's to some degree a cash grab. It's not uncommon for publishers to allocate resources to an easier project in order to fund a bigger long-term project.

Recreating Pokemon in a legitimate 3D space in a new engine on a new console takes a considerable amount of work. Recreating Kanto to give it its largest appeal is a way to get the developers experience on the new hardware with a new concept while still making bank. It was never meant to be a true Pokemon successor, but it never had to be. This game is specifically for the very casual audience who loves Pokemon Go, and children who want to catch and enjoy their pokemon more than they want to breed them into super soldiers.

Personally, I bought it because it's ****ing adorable and I'm growing weary of both the games-as-a-service AAA overwhelming **** and, just... the news. Just chilling out and watching an Eevee shower me with affection for simply existing was the best experience I've had all week.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
The thing to remember about Let's Go is that it's to some degree a cash grab. It's not uncommon for publishers to allocate resources to an easier project in order to fund a bigger long-term project.

Recreating Pokemon in a legitimate 3D space in a new engine on a new console takes a considerable amount of work. Recreating Kanto to give it its largest appeal is a way to get the developers experience on the new hardware with a new concept while still making bank. It was never meant to be a true Pokemon successor, but it never had to be. This game is specifically for the very casual audience who loves Pokemon Go, and children who want to catch and enjoy their pokemon more than they want to breed them into super soldiers.

Personally, I bought it because it's ****ing adorable and I'm growing weary of both the games-as-a-service AAA overwhelming **** and, just... the news. Just chilling out and watching an Eevee shower me with affection for simply existing was the best experience I've had all week.
Is co op as broken as it looks? Alpharad has a video out where he abused that to 2v1 a lot of trainers including the gym leader and even used the second character to distract trainers so they wouldn't see him.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
As cute as Chocobo is, I just can't help but feel if another Final Fantasy character got in, it would be Terra Branford, Bartz Klauser, Sephiroth, or another one of the popular characters from the main games since there are likely more requests for them.
Yes yes. Chocobo is cute. Very cute. Down right adorable! The most wonderful feathery thing you'll ever lay your eyes upon even! Precious bundle of feathery fluff! Whenever he shows his cheerful innocent beaky smile, an angel gets it's halo! And...erm...where was I going with this again...?

*Clears throat* Yeah, umm...I feel like Terra and Bartz are kind of overshadowed by Cloud! If they put another Final Fantasy character in Smash (who isn't the most obvious choice, Chocobo!) I can see them slipping Sephiroth and his ridiculously looooong sword in there. He would put the Belmonts' range to shame!~

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Is co op as broken as it looks? Alpharad has a video out where he abused that to 2v1 a lot of trainers including the gym leader and even used the second character to distract trainers so they wouldn't see him.
No idea. My brother and I didn't try it. He just watched as we commented on every bit of dialogue and had fun laughing/d'awwing repeatedly.

But seriously, I have only taken about 10HP of damage total through the first gym. There's no difficulty here; the difficulty is in catching, not battling. It's kind of intended for you to catch hundreds and hundreds of pokemon and occasionally fight trainers who are woefully unprepared for your greatness.

Noipoi

Howdy!
No idea. My brother and I didn't try it. He just watched as we commented on every bit of dialogue and had fun laughing/d'awwing repeatedly.

But seriously, I have only taken about 10HP of damage total through the first gym. There's no difficulty here; the difficulty is in catching, not battling. It's kind of intended for you to catch hundreds and hundreds of pokemon and occasionally fight trainers who are woefully unprepared for your greatness.
The one thing I hate in this game is the catching mechanic, everything else is either surprisingly good or just meh.
Objectively it's fine, but I can never get the throws right and it pisses me off.

When Gen 8 rolls around and wild battles return most people won't care that much but i'll be crying tears of joy.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Haven't done this in a while since I didn't really need to look at patterns much, but....

Week 1 :ultinkling::ultridley::ultdaisy:
Week 2 :ultmario::ultlink::ulticeclimbers:
Week 3 :ultcorrin::ultsnake::ultdk:
Week 4 :ultsonic::ultfalco::ultyounglink::ultpokemontrainer:
Week 5 :ultmarth::ultkirby::ultmegaman::ultpit:
Week 6 :ultpichu::ultbowserjr:
Week 7 :ultmiifighters::ultrob::ultfalcon:
Week 8 :ultjigglypuff::ultwario:
Week 9 :ultsamus::ultsimon::ultkrool:
Week 10 :ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
Week 11 :ultvillager::ultdarkpit::ultduckhunt:
Week 12 :ultness::ultpeach::ultwolf:
Week 13 :ultike::ultkingdedede:
Week 14 :ultbowser::ulttoonlink::ultryu:
Week 15 :ultisabelle::ultganondorf::ultpikachu:
Week 16 :ultlucina::ultlucario:
Week 17 :ultsheik::ultfox:
Week 18 :ultwiifittrainer::ultdoc::ultgreninja:
Week 19 :ultshulk::ultcloud::ultpalutena:
Week 20 :ultluigi::ultpacman:
Week 21 :ultzss::ultrosalina::ultincineroar:
Week 22 :ultken::ultolimar:
Week 23 :ultlittlemac::ultmetaknight:
Week 24
Week 25
Week 26 (Week of release)

Characters yet to be on the Blog:
:ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultrobin::ultbayonetta::ultpiranha:

Three full weeks worth of veterans plus Piranha Plant, who may be featured closer to its release.
After Meta Knight's blindsided elimination last council, betrayal is abound,as Mewtwo and Robin who promised to team up with Bayonetta and Yoshi to take out Roy, side with Yoshi and Lucas instead to take out MK!

Who will be put up on the blog? Tune in next time on...Smashvivor!

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yes yes. Chocobo is cute. Very cute. Down right adorable! The most wonderful feathery thing you'll ever lay your eyes upon even! Precious bundle of feathery fluff! Whenever he shows his cheerful innocent beaky smile, an angel gets it's halo! And...erm...where was I going with this again...?

*Clears throat* Yeah, umm...I feel like Terra and Bartz are kind of overshadowed by Cloud! If they put another Final Fantasy character in Smash (who isn't the most obvious choice, Chocobo!) I can see them slipping Sephiroth and his ridiculously looooong sword in there. He would put the Belmonts' range to shame!~
Apparently I need to up my character gushing skills :yoshi:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Yes just a list of the 5 characters from vergeben and we can sleep soundly :estatic:
This thread will likely be going a mile a minute again when that happens. On the note of them still see a few people on gamefaqs that think he legitimately got lucky with everything he got right here. Like I get not liking him and he could still get stuff wrong but it gets silly after a while to think they just guessed everything up to this point for this game

Bee Card

Smash Ace
This thread will likely be going a mile a minute again when that happens. On the note of them still see a few people on gamefaqs that think he legitimately got lucky with everything he got right here. Like I get not liking him and he could still get stuff wrong but it gets silly after a while to think they just guessed everything up to this point for this game
Yes I don't know why Vergeben keep staying at gamefaqs, they are so dumb and full of hatred over there.
He should join us here at Smashboards, his real house ! :shades:

NineS

Smash Lord
Yes I don't know why Vergeben keep staying at gamefaqs, they are so dumb and full of hatred over there.
He should join us here at Smashboards, his real house ! :shades:
I hope he doesn't join Smashboards.

For his sake, that is.
If he actually joined Smashboards and leaked here, he'd be bombarded with questions and spam and certain people on these boards who I will not call out who may or may not believe him or just want to give him a piece of their mind.

Honestly, he's better off dropping leaks out of nowhere on sites like those. But he'd probably ignore people here too anyway.
I'd imagine it'd be tough to be able to be able to relax and speculate or socialize in the Smash community during a time of DLC when you're a leaker with a track record like his.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I’ve decided to rerate the newcomers now that I’ve had some time to think about it.

So including echoes, here I go:

1. :ultkrool: - For my love of DKC and DK64
2. :ultpiranha: - For the uniqueness alone
3. :ultchrom: - I love FE and he got left out in 4
4. :ultridley: - Metroid needed its baddie
5. :ultdaisy: - I legit like her but no “Hi I’m Daisy” taunt is a heartbreaker
6. :ultdarksamus: - She’s cool and more Metroid is good
7. :ultsimon: - He looks cool but haven’t played any Castlevania but the show is dope
8. :ultincineroar: - I’ve played Sun and Moon (even though I disliked it, sorrynotsorry) so I at least know who he is
9. :ultisabelle: - I liked Animal Crossing when I was younger but haven’t played the game she’s in
10. :ultken: - Played SF at a friends once lol
11. :ultrichter: - Didn’t even know who he was

How’s everyone else rank em?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not sure if I did say anything negative about Let's Go, but I still take it all back because you can ride on Starmie.

I’ve decided to rerate the newcomers now that I’ve had some time to think about it.

So including echoes, here I go:

1. :ultkrool: - For my love of DKC and DK64
2. :ultpiranha: - For the uniqueness alone
3. :ultchrom: - I love FE and he got left out in 4
4. :ultridley: - Metroid needed its baddie
5. :ultdaisy: - I legit like her but no “Hi I’m Daisy” taunt is a heartbreaker
6. :ultdarksamus: - She’s cool and more Metroid is good
7. :ultsimon: - He looks cool but haven’t played any Castlevania but the show is dope
8. :ultincineroar: - I’ve played Sun and Moon (even though I disliked it, sorrynotsorry) so I at least know who he is
9. :ultisabelle: - I liked Animal Crossing when I was younger but haven’t played the game she’s in
10. :ultken: - Played SF at a friends once lol
11. :ultrichter: - Didn’t even know who he was

How’s everyone else rank em?
Great: :ultisabelle:>:ultrichter:
Cool: :ultincineroar:>:ultpiranha:>:ultken:
Meh: :ultchrom:>:ultsimon:>:ultdarksamus:>:ultdaisy:
No 100% completion, then: :ultridley:>:ultkrool:

KMDP

Smash Legend
As cute as Chocobo is, I just can't help but feel if another Final Fantasy character got in, it would be Terra Branford, Bartz Klauser, Sephiroth, or another one of the popular characters from the main games since there are likely more requests for them.
Well, if Sephiroth would be a balancing problem, then there's always another FF7 character they could use...

I will die on this hill.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, if Sephiroth would be a balancing problem, then there's always another FF7 character they could use...

I will die on this hill.
Just one? Weak.

Try every playable character in FFVII and then we'll talk.

NineS

Smash Lord

I will die on this hill.
Well, Sakurai wouldn't have to worry about the pointy bits with her.

No siree, he'd have to worry a bit more about the bouncy bits, and maybe censoring her skirt.. Assuming she would get her classic design. If she got in, though, I'd assume she'd get both her classic and Advent Children designs similar to Cloud. Not like she'd be the most problematic in terms of design (Looking at you, Bayonetta. And, maybe Palutena. and anyone with a dress...)

I actually really like Tifa and she's one of my favorite characters from FFVII (and it's not because of the pointy bits. it's never the pointy or bouncy bits with me, folks. please remember that.)

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
You guys talking about FFVII and forgetting the one who got a game just for him.
Dirgeofcerberususbox.jpg
Devil Jesus

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just one? Weak.

Try every playable character in FFVII and then we'll talk.
Fans then start complaining about Final Fantasy being over-represented.

Not that the FF7 fans care.
Well, Sakurai wouldn't have to worry about the pointy bits with her.

No siree, he'd have to worry a bit more about the bouncy bits, and maybe censoring her skirt.. Assuming she would get her classic design. If she got in, though, I'd assume she'd get both her classic and Advent Children designs similar to Cloud.

I actually really like Tifa and she's one of my favorite characters from FFVII (and it's not because of the pointy bits. it's never the pointy or bouncy bits with me, folks. please remember that.)
Tifa is my favourite Final Fantasy VII character; while I'd be lying if I said her appearance didn't play a role in that, I actually just really like her personality as well.
---
Speaking of Tifa...

FF Wiki: "Tifa uses her martial arts moves in battle, equipping knuckles as her weapon."

I know they mean knuckles as in "Brass Knuckles", but I'm now imagining Tifa grabbing Knuckles the Echidna by the ankle and swinging him around like a flail.

Tifa Lockhart:&:
You guys talking about FFVII and forgetting the one who got a game just for him.
View attachment 178301
Devil Jesus
While Vincent got a game all to himself, he's not appeared nearly as much as Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth have in other games.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
The one thing I hate in this game is the catching mechanic, everything else is either surprisingly good or just meh.
Objectively it's fine, but I can never get the throws right and it pisses me off.

When Gen 8 rolls around and wild battles return most people won't care that much but i'll be crying tears of joy.
I’m hoping Gen 8 gives me a mon that’s as awesome adorable as a Breloom.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
We need a FF7 assist trophy for Aerith.
She will appear and kneel down in one place of the stage and Sephiroth impales after a short amount of time.
If you're near her you die and if you're playing as Cloud you become emo Cloud.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
She will appear and kneel down in one place of the stage and Sephiroth impales after a short amount of time.
There will not be any other FF things except Cloud, the stage, two musics and some stickers because Square Enix.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Aerith stands around casting Holy, if allowed to finish everyone but the Summoner dies ("dies" as in is removed from the field in the way that Bayonetta and Zelda's Final Smashes do it).

However, she is attackable, and very weak to certain Down Aerials (like Link's).

Iridium

Smash Hero
Okay, I fell asleep for almost 10 hours. What did I miss this time?

Last edited:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Oh, 2 FFVII characters I would want? Wel, um....

Cait Sith, and..........

Chocobo, if that counts?
Chocobo always counts when it comes to Final Fantasy. Chocobos are in every one of those games after all! Hmm...except the very first one I think.

Standard chocobos are absolutely amazing of course, but you know which specific one I'm always rooting for~

Iridium

Smash Hero
Um, putting in Zack Fair and Aerith would be some great ways to honor the dead, no? I'd still take an AT for both if I was only stuck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom