• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To be honest, I actually kind of like these quite bits. Rather then having everyone try to rip eachother's throats out arguing if Bubsy the Bobcat or Sombrero Goomba is more deserving/likely, it's just a handful of guys and girls hanging out and ****posting until the game comes out.
I think that amiibo unlock thing must've just been a rumor, because I feel as if that'd be something Sakurai would have went over in the direct.
Oh gosh you might be right. It just seemed like something that'd be so obvious to implement it never really crossed my mind that they just might not anyway.

Welp, I'll probably be using the internet to cheat then and figure the fastest way to unlock my main.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
So now that Ultimate is coming out in a few weeks, I have a feeling youtubers like Prosafiagaming will post spoilers for World of Light like what he did with LGPE. I don't even watch his videos and yet they're always on my feed, especially when a game releases. All of his thumbnails for his videos are filled with spoilers, it's clear he doesn't care about others and just wants views. He literally spoiled a lot of games for me like Odyssey and Star Allies, I wouldn't be surprised if he posted all of the cut-scenes and the final boss for WoL two days before Dec 7th. People like him are the reason why I don't enjoy games like I used too, playing the game blind was much better.
Of course, I'll be avoiding this thread too for about a week before the release, if there are leaks spreading around. So it'll be hard for me to avoid both social media and Smashboards, it's going to be a boring week. For those who want to avoid Youtube thumbnail spoilers, use the Video Blocker app for Chrome. And for mobile users, I don't think you can block youtubers unfortunately (why isn't this a thing?), so good luck.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be honest, I actually kind of like these quite bits. Rather then having everyone try to rip eachother's throats out arguing if Bubsy the Bobcat or Sombrero Goomba is more deserving/likely, it's just a handful of guys and girls hanging out and ****posting until the game comes out.
Oh gosh you might be right. It just seemed like something that'd be so obvious to implement it never really crossed my mind that they just might not anyway.

Welp, I'll probably be using the internet to cheat then and figure the fastest way to unlock my main.
Yea it's nice

Reminds me how familiar I've become with a lot of users here since 8.8. Made lots of friends.

Between all the angry yelling about DLC chances and all that it's a nice reminder we're all Smash pals.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Sombrero Goomba is kawaii so he deserves the spot more than Bubsy :yoshi:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Sombrero Goomba is kawaii so he deserves the spot more than Bubsy :yoshi:
Okay but Bubsy has a lot of personality and would bring in an unrepped franchise. He'd also finish the Mario / Sonic / Bubsy platformer trinity, and could bring in a unique mechanic in taking fall damage whenever he hits the ground from too high up.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Okay but Bubsy has a lot of personality and would bring in an unrepped franchise. He'd also finish the Mario / Sonic / Bubsy platformer trinity, and could bring in a unique mechanic in taking fall damage whenever he hits the ground from too high up.
I would consider it if his fans weren't so toxic. My god!!!

:yoshi:

osby

Smash Obsessed
We need Fancy Pants Man, so we can complete the arcade/console/flash game trio.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have to wonder if GSP actually matters or if they're gonna count random casual battles for that too.
If not, I can't imagine Elite Battles mattering.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Reminder that Bubsy deserves a spot in Smash

Fur real though, Bubsy is the purr-fect candidate for DLC. His moveset pawsibilities are endless, and combine that with his pawsitively hiss-terical purrsonality, you'd be kitten yourself if you said he doesn't deserve the spawt.

ok I'm done now.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Fur real though, Bubsy is the purr-fect candidate for DLC. His moveset pawsibilities are endless, and combine that with his pawsitively hiss-terical purrsonality, you'd be kitten yourself if you said he doesn't deserve the spawt.

ok I'm done now.
I think my soul caved in on itself after reading that... :yoshi:

osby

Smash Obsessed

ok I'm done now.
And I used to wonder why people hate him... jk

SonicMario

Smash Master
Can someone give me a quick reminder of how many veterans are left to go on the website in terms of blog updates now?

I know there's not many left now.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Who else here is ready for elite Smash battles?
I suspect to reach elite Smash battles relatively quickly. I've been a tourney-goer since 2007, met and fought against many people all over the world, and used to be top 3 ranked in Alberta for Smash 4. And Brawl around the bottom half of the PR most of the time but hey.

Hopefully elite battles have a good structure.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
“It’s such a Sakurai thing to do to say not to expect many characters then give us a lot of characters”

Oh look only six unique newcomers.
I can't wait for people to say stuff like this during Smash 6 speculation alongside the inevitable hate I'll get for telling people that likely won't happen (assuming I even come back for Smash 6 speculation lol).

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Shower thought today, anyone else feel Zelda is painfully misrepresented character-wise in smash? Nothing against Young Link or Toon Link, it’s smash Ultimate and that means everyone’s back and I love that, but there’s so many Zelda characters with cool moveset potential. At this point I’d be happy with anyone new: Midna, Tingle, Impa, Skull Kid, Happy Mask Salesman, Fi, Mipha, Urbosa, Great Fairy, heck even Ricky the Kangaroo would be cool! I love the LoZ franchise and it just hurts that the triforce wielders are the only ones that get the focus, LoZ is so much more than that.

Link from Popstar County

Banned via Administration
I suspect to reach elite Smash battles relatively quickly. I've been a tourney-goer since 2007, met and fought against many people all over the world, and used to be top 3 ranked in Alberta for Smash 4. And Brawl around the bottom half of the PR most of the time but hey.

Hopefully elite battles have a good structure.
KURAUDO, WORLD WARRIOR

Someone should make an anime about your journey

osby

Smash Obsessed
Shower thought today, anyone else feel Zelda is painfully misrepresented character-wise in smash? Nothing against Young Link or Toon Link, it’s smash Ultimate and that means everyone’s back and I love that, but there’s so many Zelda characters with cool moveset potential. At this point I’d be happy with anyone new: Midna, Tingle, Impa, Skull Kid, Happy Mask Salesman, Fi, Mipha, Urbosa, Great Fairy, heck even Ricky the Kangaroo would be cool! I love the LoZ franchise and it just hurts that the triforce wielders are the only ones that get the focus, LoZ is so much more than that.
Fire Emblem and Mother are much more than main characters but they are still our only playable representatives. Zelda at least got a lot of Assists and even a few stage characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Not just that, I kinda wish the Zelda reps we did have did more things unique to their games, like Young Link and Majora's Mask or Toon Link and Wind Waker. Hell, even Ganondorf doesn't do anything from OoT, sword or not.

I mean, just look at Hyrule Warriors and practically every single character, even the one-time nobodies has a cool, flashy, and interesting moveset. If Nintendo could just rip that off those concepts if just a little, I'd be pretty happy.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Yeah, but you see, that's why we have a social thread. Seriously, barely anyone uses this thread and it's the actual hangout thread. Not this one. If we're not talking about Ultimate then that's technically grounds for getting the thread locked or facing other personal repercussions.

Backseat modding aside, I do enjoy more peaceful periods such as this. I personally can't wait for the game to come out so that way I can play it with ya'll.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It really is. The many races of the Zelda series, other than just the Hylians (and the Gerudo, I guess), such as Zora and Gorons, need way more representation in Smash...

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Funny you mention that, but at first I felt the same way. And yes, we could use more Zelda for how huge the franchise is. Skull Kid, Champions from BotW, Impa, list goes on.

But Brawl & Smash 4 was mostly the "Twilight Princess + Toon Link" show. Even Sheik's design is based off concept art for TP. But here in Ultimate?

:ultlink: = Breath of the Wild
:ultzelda: = A Link to the Past
:ultsheik: = Ocarina of Time (BotW Sheikah gear)
:ultganondorf: = Ocarina of Time
:ultyounglink: = Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask
:ulttoonlink: = Wind Waker

That's 5 different Legend of Zelda titles being represented, 6 if you count Zelda's Phantom special. It's a decent consolation prize at least.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It does annoy me that all of the playable characters from Zelda are some iteration of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

I wish that they included at least one one-off character (Midna, Skull Kid, Ghirahim) into the playable roster.

At the very least they could've added in Impa, who could've been an echo and is arguably the most important character to the series after the Triforce trio.

But in the end, I can see why Sakurai limited the Zelda roster to those three.. even though I don't agree with it.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Fire Emblem and Mother are much more than main characters but they are still our only playable representatives. Zelda at least got a lot of Assists and even a few stage characters.
I think it’s just that Zelda is on the same levels of Mario and Pokemon in popularity and it doesn’t have the diversity in characters. Sure they got assists and stages, but having atleast one non-triforce wielder would be nice. As for Fire Emblem they do have stuff like 3 characters from one game (Chrom, Robin, and Lucina), and I feel that it’s lucky to have the representation in characters it has right now. Mother is more than the main characters but it’s a small franchise, the most well ever get out of that is Ninten or Pokey if we’re ever lucky. It doesn’t really need too much to represent in characters in my opinion.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
For ROB, I'm not sure why I picked him. I'm far too young to have ever owned a ROB and my only prior experience of him was through Mario Kart DS. For whatever reason I started playing as him in Brawl then kept it up throughout Smash 4 because I liked his playstyle, his design and his personality (as much as you can say that for a robot).

For Olimar, it's definitely because I'm a fan of Pikmin: Pikmin 2 is one of my favourite games ever. I was really happy when he made it into Brawl and stuck with him as a main. I like his playstyle though at the time I had no idea that he was top tier in Brawl. I think I just generally enjoy characters who have good range and projectile options. That's part of the reason why I'm really looking forward to Piranha Plant, who could have some crazy edgeguarding options.

As for you sticking with Pikachu, have you ever been tempted by Pichu or are you not really interested? And while we don't know who our Square Enix rep will be, I can almost see Chocobo happening because hardly anyone is expecting them, and Sakurai is always surprising us...
Both ROB and Olimar definitely have good range and options. I picked them quite a bit in Smash 4 for those very reasons! But you clearly love their design and lore a whole lot more. I've only played Pikmin 3 sadly, and that one was all about Alph.

And yeah! I used Pichu a whole lot in Melee just for fun. This time around, I'll give Pichu a shot as well and see just how much better he's become. It's a little sad he still hurts himself though... óvò

Sakurai is always good at throwing random curve balls at us. Although this time around, Nintendo is the one choosing the DLC characters. I wonder if they like the idea of surprising everyone with Chocobo as well. We need more toony animal like characters I think~

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Funny you mention that, but at first I felt the same way. And yes, we could use more Zelda for how huge the franchise is. Skull Kid, Champions from BotW, Impa, list goes on.

But Brawl & Smash 4 was mostly the "Twilight Princess + Toon Link" show. Even Sheik's design is based off concept art for TP. But here in Ultimate?

:ultlink: = Breath of the Wild
:ultzelda: = A Link to the Past
:ultsheik: = Ocarina of Time (BotW Sheikah gear)
:ultganondorf: = Ocarina of Time
:ultyounglink: = Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask
:ulttoonlink: = Wind Waker

That's 5 different Legend of Zelda titles being represented, 6 if you count Zelda's Phantom special. It's a decent consolation prize at least.
Yeah but Young Link doesn't even represent Majora's Mask at all.
Gimme my MM gear, Sakurai. Without it he's just OoT Young Link.

Last edited:

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
It does annoy me that all of the playable characters from Zelda are some iteration of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf.

I wish that they included at least one one-off character (Midna, Skull Kid, Ghirahim) into the playable roster.

At the very least they could've added in Impa, who could've been an echo and is arguably the most important character to the series after the Triforce trio.

But in the end, I can see why Sakurai limited the Zelda roster to those three.. even though I don't agree with it.
But that’s the thing, there’s even a couple not-1-off recurring characters that are pretty iconic to the franchise they could pull from too, like Tingle, the Great Fairy, and Impa. I’m still holding out hope we get something for dlc, it’s not super likely but I would love it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But that’s the thing, there’s even a couple not-1-off recurring characters that are pretty iconic to the franchise they could pull from too, like Tingle, the Great Fairy, and Impa. I’m still holding out hope we get something for dlc, it’s not super likely but I would love it.
Urbosa please

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it’s just that Zelda is on the same levels of Mario and Pokemon in popularity and it doesn’t have the diversity in characters. Sure they got assists and stages, but having atleast one non-triforce wielder would be nice. As for Fire Emblem they do have stuff like 3 characters from one game (Chrom, Robin, and Lucina), and I feel that it’s lucky to have the representation in characters it has right now. Mother is more than the main characters but it’s a small franchise, the most well ever get out of that is Ninten or Pokey if we’re ever lucky. It doesn’t really need too much to represent in characters in my opinion.
Zelda isn't really on the level of those two, though. Plus those two have actually more than five recurring characters.

Honestly, my problem with "add a non-triforce user" is Zelda fandom absolutely has no agreement on who should be added, so they constantly cycle between the characters they see most likely at the moment.

I'm not saying Zelda shouldn't get a new character, but the best thing we have is "make Impa an echo" and "rip off from HW", and none of them is especially compelling arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom