• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Like how Sonic was the last-second addition that stopped Tabuu from killing everyone, assuming this one is the last-minute choice based on how much of a potato he looked in early trailers, does this mean Chrom is going to Aether the **** out of Galeem?
Watch Sakurai pull off the ultimate troll move and Geno Captain Marvel appears to save the day as a secret playable character. :p

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I found SSE to be really fun. I have no problem with it. :)
SSE is fun, if not a little jank at times from what I remember. The only big problem was that some characters were absolute **** in the mode due to their recovery, while others could cheese it.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Watch Sakurai pull off the ultimate troll move and Geno Captain Marvel appears to save the day as a secret playable character. :p
I get that this is mostly a joke, but I still feel the need to clarify that Sakurai has never directly lied to the audience. He may have teased us with various things, but has never said “You’re getting this” and then gives us something else.

There’s trolling and then there’s lying.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
So I decided to replay SSE this summer while riding on the Ultimate hype train, and man, nostalgia is one hell of a drug, because I absolutely hated it this time around. It was the coolest thing ever back in the day, but it did not hold up as well as I would've thought. The platforming gets incredibly stale after just a few levels, and the length of it overall makes it more of a chore to get through. The cutscenes and the boss battles are its only saving grace.

I'm honestly really glad that Ultimate ditched the platforming-driven narrative for World of Light and focused on what Smash actually is at its core: a fighting game. The story mode should be designed around this, not take the backseat. I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but eh.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I get that this is mostly a joke, but I still feel the need to clarify that Sakurai has never directly lied to the audience. He may have teased us with various things, but has never said “You’re getting this” and then gives us something else.

There’s trolling and then there’s lying.
I wish more people understood this. So many people tried to deny Sakurai's words about there not being too many newcomers and them slowing down on reveals, acting like he was trying to lie, then being disappointed when surprisingly enough he meant what he said.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
So, since Reggie said that we’ll be able to unlock just some of the characters in WoL, which characters do you all think will or will not be unlocked through that mode?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SSE is fun, if not a little jank at times from what I remember. The only big problem was that some characters were absolute **** in the mode due to their recovery, while others could cheese it.
Just take Meta Knight and glide over everything. It's fine.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
So, since Reggie said that we’ll be able to unlock some of the characters in WoL, which characters do you think will or will not be unlocked through that mode?
Some?...

Damn, I thought all characters could be unlocked that way. That would match up with Sakurai's words about unlocks being more streamlined. I seriously hope I can get directly to my mains in WoL, I want to unlock them asap.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's no way you can't unlock everyone in WoL, it's exactly like the SSE in how you gain more characters. The only place where you can see everyone but not play as everyone is through All-Star, which the fact of it being a starter mode kind of forgets the entire appeal of it.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Some?...

Damn, I thought all characters could be unlocked that way. That would match up with Sakurai's words about unlocks being more streamlined. I seriously hope I can get directly to my mains in WoL, I want to unlock them asap.
Hmm, maaaaybe I read what Reggie said wrong.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Why does it always have to be anime specifically? Do reading the subtitles make people go off their rocks?
I like anime as a medium, but I don't think the format works for Smash. It'd certainly give Kid Icarus, the Legend of Zelda, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, etc. the right kind of visual flare, but everything else just wouldn't mesh with the setting. 3D animation is about the best sort they can work with. Wreck-It Ralph worked with the concept, no problem. I don't see why the same can't apply to Smash.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Guys you realize that Sakurai is a troll, right? World of Light isn't an actual mode. Sakurai made it up to show in the direct. The real mode is actually R.O.B. Kills the Nintendo Universe.

He's the last of his kind, and he's gonna make sure he's the last of the universe.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Some?...

I think when he said "Some" he meant "You can choose to unlock some characters via World of Light", not "Only some characters are unlockable in World of Light"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Guys you realize that Sakurai is a troll, right? World of Light isn't an actual mode. Sakurai made it up to show in the direct. The real mode is actually R.O.B. Kills the Nintendo Universe.

He's the last of his kind, and he's gonna make sure he's the last of the universe.
>try to play the game
>your controls are intermittently interrupted
>it's a R.O.B. messing with your controller at the speed of an actual R.O.B. toy with gyromites

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If World of Light is the fastest way to do this unnecessary task of unlocking 61 characters in the year 2018 then I guess I'll love it.

I still think all of you ''I love unlocking characters!" aren't gonna love it so much when you're sitting there unlocking 60 plus peeps.

It's gonna cease to be fun and become more of a tedious task.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I wish more people understood this. So many people tried to deny Sakurai's words about there not being too many newcomers and them slowing down on reveals, acting like he was trying to lie, then being disappointed when surprisingly enough he meant what he said.
“It’s such a Sakurai thing to do to say not to expect many characters then give us a lot of characters”

Oh look only six unique newcomers.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If World of Light is the fastest way to do this unnecessary task of unlocking 61 characters in the year 2018 then I guess I'll love it.

I still think all of you ''I love unlocking characters!" aren't gonna love it so much when you're sitting there unlocking 60 plus peeps.

Would I rather simultaneously kick off challenges by playing the game's modes and unlocking characters or would I want to sit down for 30 minutes tapping amiibos on my Switch?

Considering grabbing all the Smash amiibos is literally over $1,000 why the **** would you even bother

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
>try to play the game
>your controls are intermittently interrupted
>it's a R.O.B. messing with your controller at the speed of an actual R.O.B. toy with gyromites

If I learned one thing from playing SSE, it’s not to trust most of those Robotic Operating “Buddies”.

D

Deleted member

“It’s such a Sakurai thing to do to say not to expect many characters then give us a lot of characters”

Oh look only six unique newcomers.
I don't know what you're talking about.

The Nintendo Direct that released in the middle of my showing of the Grinch confirmed 6 new characters, but as compensation, Incineroar is being removed.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

The Nintendo Direct that released in the middle of my showing of the Grinch confirmed 6 new characters, but as compensation, Incineroar is being removed.
Must've been a sneak peek for the day 1 patch

FreeFox

Smash Lord

What are you talking about? Incineroar is leak bait. Everyone knows Sakurai wouldnt put a new Pokémon. It is too expected and not hype at all.

We are getting a big surprise for the last reveal. I just know it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I hope they reveal whether this amiibo unlock is true or not soon, that way if that's the case I can get a hold of the Ridley amiibo at least before I get a Switch and this game as well as eventually the King K. Rool one as well.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
To anyone who has had the pleasure of playing Ultimate, did any of you play it with Joy Cons perhaps?

What the hell is that experience like because I can't image it's a pleasant one, and right now I just realized I have no Gamecube Controllers that are actually gonna work most likely.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
To anyone who has had the pleasure of playing Ultimate, did any of you play it with Joy Cons perhaps?

What the hell is that experience like because I can't image it's a pleasant one, and right now I just realized I have no Gamecube Controllers that are actually gonna work most likely.
Do you mean sideways? I'd assume that it'd play like a super cramped version of the sideways Wii Remote...
Haven't tried it, but that's what I'm guessing

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I wonder if we will get Echoes for like free updates or something... that would be really cool to see

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

I think it's going to be extremely fun for 1st timers or players who haven't played since 64/melee/Brawl. The sheer variety in the characters and the new movesets characters have at this point will keep it 100% interesting for them.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd rather just not have the echo and wait the 3-4 months it takes to make em unique.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That's way too perfect :yoshi:
I thought so.
Honestly, it would kill me a little on the inside seeing Chocobo as a spirit. Then there would be no hope of him being a playable character supposedly. óvò

But if Chocobo was made to be a spirit, I think it would make more sense for it to inhabit a Mii Fighter wearing the Chocobo hat from Smash 4. Hmm...I wonder if that outfit will still be around this time around...
As cute as Chocobo is, I just can't help but feel if another Final Fantasy character got in, it would be Terra Branford, Bartz Klauser, Sephiroth, or another one of the popular characters from the main games since there are likely more requests for them.

I think a Yellow Yoshi would fit more then just a Mii with a Chocobo hat since Yoshi moves more like a Chocobo and has more in common with Chocobo then just a Mii in a Chocobo hat does.
I wonder if we will get Echoes for like free updates or something... that would be really cool to see
I really hope.
I'd rather just not have the echo and wait the 3-4 months it takes to make em unique.
Not me. We can have more Echoes then Uniques and some characters, honestly, don't need to be unique, like, say, Jeanne from Bayonetta, Ms. Pac-Man, or Princess Hilda from Zelda...or a personal want of mine, Zack Fair from Final Fantasy VII.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Someone ask Hitagi if our lord and savior Funky Kong is making bodacious waves as Smash DLC. :V

Last edited by a moderator:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
tbh any character SE owns being added to Smash could strengthen their relationship with Nintendo.

Could be Sora, Geno, Dragon Quest, another FF character, or whatever. Each character makes them a profit, after all, with certain characters not requiring as much money to be spread across more than two parties.
Lol well ya of course I know that but you get my point though right? Saying a character shouldn't get added just because that character's current game isn't on Nintendo at the moment because it's advertising the competition is silly. Since it's not even about that when talking about a third party IP character it's about whether or not it helps both companies in some way. On Nintendo's side it's DLC sales as well as possible incentive to get the character's in question game ported to their platform. As for Square and Disney again DLC sales, and strengthened relations with a company they're already buddy buddy with to ensure future business. That mentality makes no sense with that logic Lara Croft is instantly off the table for DLC because her most recent game is currently not on the Switch and would potentially boost sales for their competition. Despite the fact that if they did add her into Smash a new game or port could get announced for the Switch at a later point expanding Nintendo's library of games in the long run. It's the same argument for Sora in my opinion.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

It depends on the proccess of unlocking itself, imo. It's only tedius if you're not enjoying task itself. It all comes down to how varied and fun World of Light itself turns out to be.

My one worry is how long it'll take to get to Pokemon Trainer specifically...or it would be if I didn't already have a Charizard amiibo, so I'm good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom