• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
i dont think disney will care as great for sora rather than along the lines of "dont hurt our characters uwu": the franchise vs capcom infinite

i'm not saying that'll affect his chances i just wanna rag on mvci lol
I feel bad for Capcom sometimes, they took so much heat for stuff Disney was responsible for. Not that Capcom had nothing to do with the trainwreck that was MvC:I, but I never see people give Disney the same backlash.

D

Deleted member

They hated NonSpecificGuy because he told them the truth.
Another proposed stage list from a bigish name:

https://np.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9x33d3/2ggaming_releases_initial_draft_of_their_ruleset/

Another list with hazards off and FoD relegated to Battlefield clone. This does not bode well for the future of stage selection in Ultimate.
What's with tourney organizers being so conservative with stage lists? FoD and Yoshi's Story are classics but they've been left out of every stage list so far.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Um...103 as of right now, plus the 5 DLC brand new character themed stages that we know will exist, which makes 108 (in the future)
Yes, but you said of the 108, that's what the guy chose. But the guy didn't choose from 108, he chose from 103.

beans

Smash Lord
Yeah seriously, This pic alone is proof that when it comes to Kingdom Hearts Disney is willing to let Nomura do anything. LOOK AT HIS FRIGGIN EARS!

THIS IS BASICALLY DISNEY LAW! AND THEY LET KINGDOM HEARTS BREAK IT!
They gave Mickey the Kingdom Hearts equivalent of an Akatsuki robe.
And killed Goofy. Okay not the last part, but they did dhit him with a rock in the head.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
They gave Mickey the Kingdom Hearts equivalent of an Akatsuki robe.
And killed Goofy. Okay not the last part, but they did dhit him with a rock in the head.
I can tell you for sure the Ears thing is far more egregious for disney. Part of the development cycle for Epic Mickey was to get some sort of engine going so Mickey's Ears on his model WOULD always be facing forward as Disney commanded.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord

What's with tourney organizers being so conservative with stage lists? FoD and Yoshi's Story are classics but they've been left out of every stage list so far.
Because every list has Hazards off by default, making those stages "too similar" to other stages. Battlefield and ****ING SMASHVILLE respectively.

I might be a little miffed.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
Yes, but you said of the 108, that's what the guy chose. But the guy didn't choose from 108, he chose from 103.
I wouldn't me surprised if the DLC stages were very...let's call them "interactive" assuming the 3rd party wave most are fearing is what ends up happening.
With that presumption in mind, I can assume the competitive scene will stomp out those stages from major tournaments. That is, if Twitch isn't forced to tell Tournament Organizers to make it clear that certain stages are not to be used for livestreamed matches due to copyright claims on music...

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I wouldn't me surprised if the DLC stages were very...let's call them "interactive" assuming the 3rd party wave most are fearing is what ends up happening.
With that presumption in mind, I can assume the competitive scene will stomp out those stages from major tournaments. That is, if Twitch isn't forced to tell Tournament Organizers to make it clear that certain stages are not to be used for livestreamed matches due to copyright claims on music...
Ehhhh, let's not get presumptuous. Midgar without hazards is going to be perfectly legal, even if it's a carbon copy of Battlefield. The DLC stages may very well be structured to be viable without hazards. Only time will tell.

D

Deleted member

What's wrong with non-neutral Wario Ware? Isn't the vertical to horizontal hitbox ratio pretty drastic? And Unova League without hazards is just Pokemon Battlefield.

Now Peach's Castle 64 as a counterpick? Now you're piping my interest.
Have you ever actuaply seen Unova League to call it "Pokemon Battlefield"? Unova League only has two platforms, positioned differently from Stadium, and walls under it. Pretty sure the main platform also differs from Stadium.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I said "anime NOBODIES" Pokemon and Kirby aren't nobodies.

1. Robin
2. Chrom
3. Lucina
4. Roy
5. Corrin
6. Shulk

And I like three of those characters, so I don't want to hear anyone whine about "muh Fire Emblem!"
What’s wrong with Roy? You didn’t put any other Koopa-ling as an issue.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Congrats on your avatar.

I love everything Ghibli. I have high respect for Miyazaki and the work he's done. So definitely It'll be a total blast for me if any joined Smash. I know it's not happening though.

Oh you're being kind, they're all bland. It doesn't bother me cause it's meant to be that way, like the original game, the first Dragon Quest. That's what Dragon Quest kept intact (almost) through the years. Upgrading the music just so ever slightly, not escaping its roots. That's what I meant it might not look as good from the outside. I guess it became a tradition.

I don't know much about him. I never heard that he didn't want to share, and even so, I don't think he'd mind sharing it for Smash. I don't think it's his call anyway, it's Square's. Any musician can compose, so it doesn't necessarily mean it ups Sora's or Geno's chances. In fact I think Dragon Quest 11 being nominated for Game Awards ups a DQ rep chances over Geno and Sora, and Yoko will do us an "untraditional" DQ music ;)

Music:
This one's not bad but the one before it was better.
Almost every SFIV theme was excellent, they really did a wonderful job. I'll say though, Abel's :)
Thanks buddy, Lee Chaolan is my second favorite fighting character. In many ways he is Tekken's version of Ken they even both do the same taunts. I was very disappointed that he wasn't included in StreetFighterXTekken as I wanted my team to be Ken and Lee. Maybe ill get my wish to come true if they make TekkenXStreetfighter, which there is plans to, but who knows when they will release it.

I would love Miyazaki to make another film, but I understand he deserves his retirement. Did you hear there is a Ghibli theme park in Japan, that sounds like a place I would want to go to.

Ah no wonder they all sounded kind of bland. Like eating a bowl of Kashi cereal, its just ok. I was trying to be generous, but in my real honest opinion they were all very boring in quality of music, definitely not winning awards in that area. That is true, I hope Yoko can take over then and give her spin on the music. She has an amazing talent of capturing the essence of what the music should sound like. Im sure she could make Dragon Quest music beautiful, and with the hot water the DQ composer is in right now it might be the time to replace him. I don't know if you saw her perform FF15 music with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. I will link the video down below, but you can tell how passionate she is and how amazing her talents are. She would definitely do Dragon Quest justice if they let her compose the music for Smash Ultimate. So I would love this, if this happens just to see what she comes up with for Dragon Quest.

It seems Hitagi is backing out of their claims that Katalina is in with their recent post, any thoughts on the situation?
And Abel's theme is also really good it gives you a spy like feel. I just suggested Cody's theme as it would also represent Final Fight in Smash Ultimate.

Here is Yoko's performance with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. She starts playing with them at 51:27.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Imagine being on a forum of stinky people about a stinky game
This post was made by shower gang
I stood in line for three hours at the mall to play Ultimate at the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience on Saturday.

I went with two siblings and a friend. My sense of smell is terrible, but theirs isn't. They all said that they could tell multiple people there needed to take showers/put on deodorant.

I thought that problem was just isolated to a handful of individuals at some events or tournaments. Guess it's more widespread than I would've hoped.

Last edited:

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
imagine having a 100 stages and only playing on a few

this post was made by the casual gang
Isn't that the reason No Hazards versions of stages will exist now in the first place? So that more stages will be tournament viable so we don't have to watch Smashville/Town and City every single matchup?

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Imagine being on a forum of stinky people about a stinky game
This post was made by shower gang
How hard is it to put on deodorant, for god's sake?

D

Deleted member

But that's not evidence for why they'd be a problem. Being "big" doesn't mean that they're going to be difficult to work with. By that logic, with Square being smaller than Disney, Kingdom Hearts shouldn't even exist at all, because it's mostly Disney content being made by a Japanese company with little affiliation otherwise. If Disney wouldn't allow Sora in Smash, why would they allow Kingdom Hearts in the first place, let alone all the sequels and other merchandise?

Disney and Nintendo are already working together on a whole TV show designed to advertise the Nintendo Switch for God's sake.

The cynicism and pessimism regarding third-party negotiations and promotional characters boils down to "Sakurai is at the mercy of Nintendo/third parties who, because they're businesses, are going to force all these advertisement characters into the game, because they only want to allow recent stuff that benefits them financially," despite that being totally contrary to all previous instances of third-party content in the game. It's not a judgment based in facts and evidence, but in blind cynicism that ignores all evidence.

The only piece of evidence to give any credence to the notion of promotional or advertisement characters is the fact that Sakurai said that Nintendo gave Sakurai the list of characters to choose from, but the other half to that statement is that Sakurai was the one who made the final decisions. He still called the shots at the end, rather than him or third parties forcing him to do specific characters.

It's entirely possible that that list of characters had plenty of promotional characters. It's entirely possible that Sakurai chose some of them. But the past evidence of third-party involvement and other character/content decisions do not support the "promotional apocalypse" people seem to be expecting.
I ain’t saying Disney is is possible to work with, I’m saying that maybe Disney would be difficult to work with. Say Sakurai asks Nomura about Sora. Nomura asks people at Disney about it and it travels up the corporate ladder. It reaches the bigwigs, and all they see is something that benefits Nintendo more than Disney themselves. They have no reason to accept it, so they decline. That’s a possible scenario. And it’s not like Nintendo and Disney are on great terms. Nintendo is working with Illumination, a rival to Disney animation, for the Mario movie. Sure, Disney might not care about something like sora, but they also have no reason to accept a deal like this. They’re larger than Nintendo and all this would be doing would be licensing a Disney ip out for little benefit. Like I said, I’m not a law guy so i might not be educated on the intricacies of this, but that’s just something worth keeping in mind. Ultimately none of us know what goes on in the upper echelons of Disney, so we can only spitball, and based on what I know, I think Disney would be a troublesome company.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It's true that he's gotten a lot right this release cycle, even I was wrong about the box.

At the same time, there is something that did occur to me recently. Back when Sonic All-Stars Racing came out, Sonic and Eggman appeared in Wreck-It Ralph (along with Bowser), which is probably part of the reason why Ralph was allowed to appear in the game. Isn't it possible that Mario, or at least a number of other Nintendo characters like Bowser, are going to appear in the new Wreck-It Ralph movie? Not that it would guarantee anything, just something to consider.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wait, Crono Trigger is a series? I always thought it only has one game.
Well, there's Radical Dreamers, which is the visual novel sequel. Then there's Chrono Cross, which is the actual RPG sequel, that retells the plot of Radical Dreamers, then adds, like, 10x more stuff to it.

They're not great...

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I stood in line for three hours at the mall to play Ultimate at the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience on Saturday.

I went with two siblings and a friend. My sense of smell is terrible, but theirs isn't. They all said that they could tell multiple people there needed to take showers/put on deodorant.

I thought that problem was just isolated to a handful of individuals at some events or tournaments. Guess it's more widespread than I would've hoped.
I don't get it. Am I just different? I love taking showers and being clean in general. Who wouldn't want to take a warm, relaxing shower with the added benefit of smelling good afterwards?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly, even as the biggest Sora defender. I'm thinking he won't be in. Not for MUH DISNEY or whatever, since I'm 1000000% sure his name dropped.
But I believe DQ will win it all, with Erdrick. And I wouldn't be mad, honestly if I had to rate chance.

Dragon Quest Rep (whenever it's a Hero or Slime) : 65%
Crono: 55%
Sora: 45%
Another FF rep: 30% (Varying on who it is, can go up to 50% but I wouldn't hold on this)
Geno: 25%

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Well, there's Radical Dreamers, which is the visual novel sequel. Then there's Chrono Cross, which is the actual RPG sequel, that retells the plot of Radical Dreamers, then adds, like, 10x more stuff to it.

They're not great...
That may be your opinion but Chrono Cross was fantastic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

in a nutshell

I think Jason wanting to go balls to the walls with trying out everything is pretty cool of him though, but he probably won't have his dream.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
So it looks like our 5 dlc characters will be:

- Steve
- Elma
- Dragon Quest Character
- Heihachi/Lloyd
- Rayman/Crash Bandicoot

Hmm... Not that bad to be honest

D

Deleted member

I don't get it. Am I just different? I love taking showers and being clean in general. Who wouldn't want to take a warm, relaxing shower with the added benefit of smelling good afterwards?
I love to take showers every day.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Alright, with Hitagi backtracking on Katalina, I'm updating my DLC predictions:

-Steve:

Minecraft is insanely popular and iconic, Verge has said Minecraft content will be in the game, Nintendo (specifically Miyamoto) are huge fans of minecraft.

-Dragon Quest Character (I'm thinking Slime):

Verge and Hitagi have said we're getting a Square DLC character, I think DQ is the most likely because it is insanely popular in Japan, and DQ11 switch is coming soon, probably next year. Out of all of the DQ characters I think Slime is the most likely because he has huge moveset potential and is the most recognizable character.

-Gen 8 Pokemon

With Gen 8 coming out next year, I just don't see Nintendo not including a Gen 8 character in smash to coincide with the Gen 8 release.

-King Boo

To promote Luigi's mansion 3 coming next year, and he would be a popular pick with a ton of moveset potential.

-One of Edelgard/Heihachi/Rayman/Lloyd/Captain Toad:

I really can't decide on this last character, these characters seem the most likely.

Who do the rest of ya'll think we're realistically gonna get?

blackghost

Smash Champion
Is Disney really such a huge obstacle? Really? What reason do they have to be difficult regarding Sora?

I don't understand all the cynicism regarding third party companies when we've already seen how eager most of them are to work with Sakurai and Nintendo, and let Sakurai call the shots.
  • Konami allowing Snake back, despite the animosity between the company and his creator, Kojima.
  • Konami allowing a boatload of Castlevania content that's all classic.
  • Konami also allowing other content as Spirits or Assist Trophies, despite their notorious attitude over the past 3-4 years.
  • Capcom allowing Ken as an Echo Fighter, and having his classic design instead of his nasty SFV design.
  • Capcom allowing Monster Hunter content that isn't pushing Monster Hunter World.
  • Capcom and Konami not demanding that Richter/Ken be full characters instead of less-substantial Echo Fighters.
  • Square Enix letting Sakurai choose Cloud instead of some more recent "promotional" character.
  • Sega allowing Sonic to be in the game for the third time in a row, plus additional characters as Assist Trophies or Spirits.
  • Sega allowing Bayonetta, despite her relative lack of commercial success compared to their other franchises.
  • Bandai Namco allowing Pac-Man to have his classic design instead of his more recent design.
  • Bandai Namco not shoving in another one of their characters like Heihachi, despite them developing the game.
  • Microsoft publicly expressing an openness to allow Banjo Kazooie in Smash, as well as mentioning their cooperation with previous Rare IP's.
  • Microsoft working with Nintendo to establish historic crossplay between their consoles.
  • Microsoft allowing content from their other IP's in Minecraft on Nintendo platforms, including Banjo Kazooie and Halo.
I think most Smash players are more cynical and cutthroat than the companies they're being cynical about. You'd all make good businessmen.
no they are being realistic. most of these comparisons aren't even close to a situation with disney.

1. bayonetta allowance by sega only is limited to her bayo 1 appearance.nintendo owns bayonetta 2. i swear people seem to miss this over and over.

2. re-establishing a company connection between companies like nintendo, cpacom, konami, and SE is A LOT easier than establishing one with disney for the first time. these devs and publishers in japan all know each other. they are firends and fans of each other. disney isn't in like that with these companies.

3. yeah like microsoft is gonna say "No. that highly successful game smashbros? We'd NEVER let any of our characters in." Unless you can name a time when a company said they'd forbid their charcter's entry in a smash game this point has no basis.

4. why would namco bandai force a design from less popular games? makes no sense. why would you tamper with a developer on sakurai's level?

5. cross play is a long way off. if it was imminent then i'd believe this argument

6. the Heihachi point has no basis in anything.

7. konami and capcom point on ken and ryu also doesnt make sense. Richter and Simion moveset is a combination of their two games. them having the same moveset IS honoring thier legacy. Sakurai even mentions this in the direct. there is no other way to make ken in this game but as an echo. ken would only be an echo. and even as an echo he has clear separation from ryu.

8. Cloud is promotion, legacy, fan service, and more all rolled into one. cloud represents the entire series of FF.

9. capcom monster hunter push makes perfect sense. you can push a series without relying only on the immediate game. additionally capcom released monster hunter generations on switch in 2015 so either way you are wrong.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
On one hand Nintendo picking the DLC likely means more promotional picks
On the other hand Travis Touchdown is a whole lot likelier with that in mind
Of course who’s choosing the characters could ultimately mean nothing in the end

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

-Steve:

Minecraft is insanely popular and iconic, Verge has said Minecraft content will be in the game, Nintendo (specifically Miyamoto) are huge fans of minecraft.

Verge and Hitagi have said we're getting a Square DLC character, I think DQ is the most likely because it is insanely popular in Japan, and DQ11 switch is coming soon, probably next year. Out of all of the DQ characters I think Slime is the most likely because he has huge moveset potential and is the most recognizable character.

-Gen 8 Pokemon

With Gen 8 coming out next year, I just don't see Nintendo not including a Gen 8 character in smash to coincide with the Gen 8 release.

-King Boo

To promote Luigi's mansion 3 coming next year, and he would be a popular pick with a ton of moveset potential.

I really can't decide on this last character, these characters seem the most likely.

Not Captain Toad because he's in the background of New Donk.

1513673812741.png

You can't convince me otherwise. If I got warned because of me relishing his deconfirmation then you know I ain't gonna change my mind.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

-Steve:

-Gen 8 Pokemon

-King Boo

Just because a Piranha Plant got in, doesn't mean a Boo is getting in...

- Steve
- Elma
- Dragon Quest Character
- Heihachi/Lloyd
- Rayman/Crash Bandicoot

Yeah, that sounds about right to me... I'd be down for it...
No real problem with any of the 5

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

- Steve
- Elma
- Dragon Quest Character
- Heihachi/Lloyd
- Rayman/Crash Bandicoot

Personally I think we'll be getting at least two first party, I'd say one of your last two choices will be a first party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom