• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Sure, just as much as it looked like we were getting Mach Rider, Banjo, Chorus Kids, etc.

Less so in fact, at least that had a fake picture!

Seriously, how often does this **** have to end up being wrong before you people realize leaks are fake!?
To be fair the Square Enix rep (not necessarily DQ) comes from Vergeben, who has leaked about half the new fighters (mostly unique ones) and hasn't gotten anything Smash related wrong. So that's a safe assumption.

Everything else comes from Hitagi, who's reputation for Smash is essentially nothing, but he has leaked multiple things correctly in the past. Not as credible as Verge, but still noteworthy enough to pay attention to.

We can take everything with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't surprised if some/all of the characters speculated here end up being DLC.

Iridium

Smash Hero
For those who haven't seen it:

Now we get a special pause screen when a controller is taken out, or something like that. Really neat (and fair) addition.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
You raise some interesting points.
On your first point, while that is true, ultimately that is one person in the giant corporate machine of Disney. He could be fine with it, but higher-ups might not. Nintendo certainly has involvement with WIR2, which is in Sora’s favour, but while that managed to get Ralph in sonic racing, smash is a far more costly and big deal than something like that. I doubt that Nintendo could just go “Hey since we’re working with you on this movie can we put Sora in smash?” It’s not unfeasable, but I doubt it.
Another thing is that Sora made ha appearance in World of Final fantasy as dlc, however due to licensing he was only available for a limited time and has never appeared again. If Sora got into smash, he would have to be dlc, so the same thing would be likely to happen. Do you think Sakurai would be willing to only have Sora available for a limited time?
Like I said, though raised some definitely valid points, I’m just giving my opinion on things.
Sure that is very wise to keep an open mind while still defending a previous statement.
I think Disney is not the big factor here as much as people give it credit for. I think the big issue is between Nintendo and Square. Specifically with Nintendo wanting to advertise a game that is not coming to their system by having Sora in. That to me is the real hurdle, as for Disney and Square both companies have shown to love advertisement. Square is very fond of having relative characters that represent the company, cross promote in other games. Examples 2b in Soul Calibur and Noctis in Tekken. I don't see them complaining of having Sora in because he would make them the most money from cross promotion than other characters including DQ. Sora has a higher chance for Square to make money both in short term and long term investment. As he is a globally popular character unlike DQ which is mostly popular in Japan. Despite having to share sales with Disney I can see Square being ok with this deal. As for Disney they love making profit, I don't see them looking at this situation and saying we don't want a piece of it. They would most likely be willing to work a deal, and keep Sora as a long term DLC because it would highly benefit them. And yes the Vice President of Disney Japan is only one person, but im sure he more than most knows the hurdles they would have to go through to get him in Smash. And yet he still said that it is possible for Sora to be in Smash.

The real obstacle in my opinion to Sora making it in Smash is Nintendo, will they be willing to allow him in and advertise a game that is not on their console.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Chrono falls into the same trap of irrelevancy that Geno is in though, and he has little to no fan demand that can make up for that.
That's the issue, but that's where my comment about the DQ content talk failing or going throught came from. If it fails, I feel like Crono would be the Second best choice to be the middle ground of FF and DQ ******* child

beans

Smash Lord
Why did you rate Crono as a likely character?
He is an awesome character, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that he'd be a likely candidate for DLC.
What does he have going for him, in terms of likeliness over the other Square reps?
I'd say Crono has the nintendo history.
He was first in the SNES and got a remake for the DS.
While he has fallen to obscurity just like any Square franchise that isnt in the Nomura Juggling list+DQ, he is still kinda popular being part of one of the most famous RPGs in the SNES. Chronno Trigger was an oneshot game from Square and its remenbered fondly and was similarly successful as the SNES Final Fantasies.

Chrono falls into the same trap of irrelevancy that Geno is in though, and he has little to no fan demand that can make up for that.
Thats not a fair comparision. Geno was a side character from a Mario game from the SNES era, wich has been colecting dust in the SE vault for years until we got the costume for him. Crono is (resume from above) from one of the best SNES RPGs and got a decent amount of ports.
Relevancy can be a fair argument, but some characters that are associated to it, are done so wrongly.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I stood in line for three hours at the mall to play Ultimate at the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience on Saturday.

I went with two siblings and a friend. My sense of smell is terrible, but theirs isn't. They all said that they could tell multiple people there needed to take showers/put on deodorant.

I thought that problem was just isolated to a handful of individuals at some events or tournaments. Guess it's more widespread than I would've hoped.
I don't get it. Am I just different? I love taking showers and being clean in general. Who wouldn't want to take a warm, relaxing shower with the added benefit of smelling good afterwards?
You'd be surprised how poor some people's bodily hygiene is.

I don't think a single member of my family would even think about going out without washing first, obviously some people disagree.

I remember I saw a television show a while ago (Naked Attraction, for those wondering) that gave a certain statistic.
According to the show, 1 in 4 women (not men, women) don't bother to wash everyday. They didn't give the statistic for men.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Here's the source for no Mario in Wreck-It-Ralph 2
I remember hearing the Wreck-it-Ralph team say that characters like Mario or Sonic can't be in the series, because then it's like "Why isn't Mario the main character? Who cares about Ralph compared to him?"

Which I think works out for the best. Seeing Bowser sipping tea is way more satisfying.

The real obstacle in my opinion to Sora making it in Smash is Nintendo, will they be willing to allow him in and advertise a game that is not on their console.
They did that with Snake in Brawl. The game came out the same year as Metal Gear Solid 4, which was one of the Playstation 3's biggest exclusives. Cloud was also added to Smash the same year Sony announced a Final Fantasy VII remake exclusive to Playstation.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Regardless, the question is why it was playing at Walt Disney World of all places. Disney Legal would never add a track they don't have the rights to into rotation, so it was either added by someone having fun and its a mistake, or it was added because Disney got the rights to it.

I feel like this is a very strong point in Sora's favor. It's very possible that Nintendo and Disney are working together on something larger that just hasn't been revealed yet.
Exactly Nintendo has been shown to not stay within only one media company. Which makes sense as this option does not limit them, it makes even more sense to partner with the biggest media company Disney. Nintendo is smarter than not trying to find a way to keep a good relationship with Disney.

D

Deleted member

Sure, just as much as it looked like we were getting Mach Rider, Banjo, Chorus Kids, etc.

Less so in fact, at least that had a fake picture!

Seriously, how often does this **** have to end up being wrong before you people realize leaks are fake!?
Yeah, I remember Verge's fake leaks. We were all pretty silly for believing those. I mean really, Ridley? Quit dreaming.

D

Deleted member

Actually? It all goes down to if the talk with Armor Project/Square-Enix/That ******* composer/Bird studio For DQ content fail or manage to go through it.
Chrono Trigger is a Legendary RPG, I would go to say that he's the FFVII of the SNES, and with a team of genius behind it, Crono had a big following during Brawl irc
And more importantly EVERYTHING CHRONO TRIGGER IS SQUARE'S PROPERTY no shady deal with any weird company or what-not. One of the rare time square-enix themselves weren't ********.
He have a bit of DQ, a bit of FF, the perfect mix if you want to represent the SNES era of Square-Enix, who were extremely supportive of Nintendo.
It wiuld be funny if Crono ended up getting in simply due to process of elimination
Nintendo: "TWEWY, Bravely Default and Octopath are too niche. DQ has some music controversy. No need for more FF if we can't get its songs. Lol geno. And **** Disney. So I guess it's uhm, *looks at artwork sent by Square* Goku?"
Intern-kun: "That's Crono, sir."
Nintendo: "Whatever kids are calling him these days."
Crono may not have fan demand but that isn't to say him or hid game aren't popular. As Richter has proven to us, just because there isn't fan demand within the Smash fanbase, doesn't mean there win't be fans, dude straight up has already surpassed Simon in popularity even though he was the one people requested.
Chrono Trigger was and is a much bigger and popular game than SMRPG will ever be.

I still don't believe Crono will ever get in Smash and I do believe Geno has a higher chance of making it in, but I get tired of him being compared to a side character from one game. Outside of his very specific Smash fanbase, Geno is nobody.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Lmao, you're one of those people. I thought they were all gone after the last direct but yikes, it looks like they aren't.
One of those people that's always proven right eventually? Yes.

I'd rather be one of those people than one of the people that thinks Katalina will be a thing.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Random question, but does anyone know if the creatures in Dracula's Castle are stage hazards or are they just background characters?

D

Deleted member

All third-party inclusions benefit Nintendo more than the third-party. The third-party is paid for licensing, obviously, and gets their IP shown off on someone else's dime, but at the end of the day the game is pushing Nintendo software and hardware. The majority of the profit is for Nintendo alone. Difference is most if not all of the companies Nintendo has collaborated with for smash have been smaller than Nintendo themselves. They can afford the advertisement smash gives them, because it’s the bigger company approaching the smaller company if you get me And it's not like in Kingdom Hearts where there's some of Square Enix's content, but it's otherwise mostly Disney's content being used. Im not really sure what you’re trying to say here, sorrry It's just a little bit of Metal Gear/Castlevania/Sonic/Final Fantasy content being sprinkled into what's largely a Nintendo affair. It's not like third parties are getting equal billing to Mario or Zelda. Third parties are still promoted through advertisements and commercial, which is still a benefit to them as the smaller company. While first-parties do get more promotion, ultimately when you’re a smaller company smash is just a benefit. When you’re a larger one, less so.

The reason to accept is that Super Smash is now a prestigious series that companies are enthusiastic about lending their IP's to, regardless of the business benefit. Even Konami, who's been burning all kinds of bridges over the past few years, held nothing back (except the Kojima fox logo). Konami’s bridge burning means they need all the good-will they can get, plus they have significantly collaborated with Nintendo in terms of smash before. Again I feel this comes down to being smaller companies compared to Nintendo, unlike Disney The only company that's been reserved is Square Enix, and even then they were the ones who let Sakurai pick Cloud, rather than make demands for promotional content like, say, Noctis. I mean, cloud is still arguably the mascot of Square-Enix, it’s still great promotion. And plus, as you said they’ve been conservative in other areas, and Sakurai himself said they had to go to great lengths for the third parties this game, so it’s clear some third parties are being difficult. And keep in mind this is for a relatively smaller company, just imagine what a giant like Disney would be like to work with.

You just completely ignored how I linked to the fact that Nintendo and Disney are collaborating on a TV show for Disney primarily meant to advertise the Nintendo Switch. Disney didn't have a reason to accept that deal, either, when they could run programming that drives impressions and sales of their own properties.

Bowser was also in Wreck-it-Ralph. Disney is working with Illumination on the Mario movie, but that doesn't mean anything regarding Disney's relationship with Nintendo. Kingdom Hearts is exclusive to PlayStation, but that doesn't seem to stop Nintendo and Disney from doing things together.

Disney also broadcast the Smash Wii U EVO tournament for a year or two, which not only serves to just promote Nintendo, but shows that Disney is aware of how big the Super Smash series is. Now imagine how excited they'd be at the prospect of Sora showing up onstage at EVO.
Sorry, I missed you linking that. Anyways yeah I agree here, I was just misinformed about that.
It's not even a matter of law. It's a matter of how much these companies are willing to cooperate. And all the third-parties already involved or speculated to be involved (like Disney and Microsoft) have shown that they are very willing to cooperate in various business ventures. Have we seen any company snub their nose at an invitation to Smash (besides Sega with Sonic during Brawl's development, and then they later changed their mind)? I mean you just said yourself, third parties have turned down smash before. Sure sega eventually came around, but that proves there’s a history of this stuff (uldnt doubt there’s been a number of third-party negotiations in the ast that have ultimately failed behind the scenes). Again, I do feel that the fact that companies like Square have been a bit difficult, and that Disney is such a giant company to the point where they need to have some serious investment in a licensing deal to accept it would point towards Disney being fickle. Keep in mind to get sora Sakurai would have to go through Square AND Disney. Have we seen any company be needlessly difficult regarding any character or content in Smash? Or has every company involved so far been very cooperative with Nintendo/Sakurai and what he wants to do? I mean some companies are pretty clearly being a bit uncooperative, Sakurai said so himself.

Of course, it's always possible that Disney might be a stick in the mud and make the unprecedented decision to say no. There's no certainty in any of this. But the evidence suggests that there's no reason to believe that'll happen. Oh and the World of final fantasy situation shows that even when working with square Enid, a company they already had strong relations with, licensing still limited sora’s availability greatly
Replies in bold because mobile is annoying. I need to go sleep soon, but I’ll concede that I was exaggerating disney’s fickleness without strong evidence, but I still feel they would be tough to work with. It’s fun debating though.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

I'd rather be one of those people than one of the people that things Katalina will be a thing.
You're already wrong if you think Verge is just guessing, so you were never right in the first place. And verge has nothing to do with Katalina.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I'd rather be one of those people than one of the people that things Katalina will be a thing.
I legit didn't think much of Verg for the longest time.

Then he called Isaac the day before it happened during Grinch leak hype.

At this point, all it takes for him to be gospel in my eyes is a Square rep as DLC.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't get it. Am I just different? I love taking showers and being clean in general. Who wouldn't want to take a warm, relaxing shower with the added benefit of smelling good afterwards?
No, you're definitely not different. Most people are that way.

People who don't shower get used to the feeling of being filthy and are also immune to their own stench. If they're socially impared it makes the problem all the worse, since they probably probably spend a lot of time with just themselves or other people with similar hygiene problems, so they aren't used to having to consider hey they snell to those around them that much. I know this because I used to be one of those people, but fixed my bad habits.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Random question, but does anyone know if the creatures in Dracula's Castle are stage hazards or are they just background characters?
Sakurai's comments implied they'd be stage hazards.

At the very least, the Werewolf seems like it'll be a boss in World of Light or something.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It wiuld be funny if Crono ended up getting in simply due to process of elimination
Nintendo: "TWEWY, Bravely Default and Octopath are too niche. DQ has some music controversy. No need for more FF if we can't get its songs. Lol geno. And **** Disney. So I guess it's uhm, *looks at artwork sent by Square* Goku?"
You win best replies of the day, my sides are gone and I can see it happening now.

D

Deleted member

I have only seen the Medusa Head and she never once interacted with the foreground, only flew around.
If I had to take a guess, only Death and the Werewolf will be actual hazards as the former got extremely close to the foreground back in the direct and the latter is believed to have its assets reused for WoL.
Mummy and the Creature and Flea Man seem to work like the Medusa Head while Dracula, Kid Dracula and Carmilla are definitely cames only.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm surprised that Killing Edge became an item, but not the Devil Axe.

Imagine an item that's as stronger than the Ore Club, but one that kills you for attacking someone at 100%+, that puts a whole new strategy into the fray.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
DLC predictions:
1) Slime
2) Rayman
3) ...Steve
4) Kos Mos
5) Gen 8 Pokemon

DLC wants:
1) Bonk
2) Vaati
3) Mike Jones
4) Geno
5) Fawful

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have only seen the Medusa Head and she never once interacted with the foreground, only flew around.
If I had to take a guess, only Death and the Werewolf will be actual hazards as the former got extremely close to the foreground back in the direct and the latter is believed to have its assets reused for WoL.
Mummy and the Creature and Flea Man seem to work like the Medusa Head while Dracula, Kid Dracula and Carmilla are definitely cames only.
I think you misspoke there.

Dracula is definitely going to be a Boss/Stage Hazard.
No, you're definitely not different. Most people are that way.

People who don't shower get used to the feeling of being filthy and are also immune to their own stench. If they're socially impared it makes the problem all the worse, since they probably probably spend a lot of time with just themselves or other people with similar hygiene problems, so they aren't used to having to consider hey they snell to those around them that much. I know this because I used to be one of those people, but fixed my bad habits.
*remembers hearing about how CWC thinks Axe Body Spray and nothing else is sufficient to cover body odor*

*shudders*

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Imagine an item that's as stronger than the Ore Club, but one that kills you for attacking someone at 100%+, that puts a whole new strategy into the fray.
That strategy being throwing it at someone else.

D

Deleted member

-Relevancy arguments

:ultkrool::ultpit:(no games were planned for Pit when he was introduced in Brawl):ultrob::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultduckhunt:

8f5.png

I see we've finally ran out of counterpoints and new fan rules in Smash Ultimate speculation. We're reverting back to Smash 4 arguments now.

Iridium

Smash Hero

That's a pretty good idea, actually. I want that now.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That strategy being throwing it at someone else.
nah, just make it weak like the hand axe in the actual game :redface: besides you'd probably die anyway if that hit makes them reach 100%

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
-Relevancy arguments

:ultkrool::ultpit:(no games were planned for Pit when he was introduced in Brawl):ultrob::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultduckhunt:

I see we've finally ran out of counterpoints and new fan rules in Smash Ultimate speculation. We're reverting back to Smash 4 arguments now.
The big difference here is those are all first party.

What does Square have to gain over marketing someone like Crono as opposed to someone more recognizable?

KMDP

Smash Legend

I imagine it'd work how it does in the games.

Super powerful, but there's always a non-zero chance that it'll damage you instead when you try to attack with it.

It'd make for the hilarious sight of someone attacking and rocketing off in the opposite direction instead of the target.

D

Deleted member

Nah, just make it completely random as to whether or not it backfires.
I think you misspoke there.

Dracula is definitely going to be a Boss/Stage Hazard.

*remembers hearing about how CWC thinks Axe Body Spray and nothing else is sufficient to cover body odor*

*shudders*
No, Dracula is definitely only a boss in WoL.
-All footage of Dracula is set on the WoL boss arena
-We only ever see his silhouette in the actual stage.
-The stage itself is too small to have a Dracula fight in it.
-Footage was edited to seem like Richter and Simon were fighting on the playable stage against Dracula(the throne in the background is the key difference)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sword Goku!

Graizen

Smash Champion
Chrono Trigger is considered one of the best games ever made.
For some people it is the best game ever.

Im sorry but , Super Mario RPG is not on this level.

And no fan demand?
Go back to Smash Brawl era of Speculation and you will see more people wanting Crono than anything you ever saw for Ridley.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I will say, it's a shame they don't use Pyrosphere for big Ridley's boss ala Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

What does Square have to gain over marketing someone like Crono as opposed to someone more recognizable?
Not saying Crono's likely, but using relevancy as an argument for deconfirming is kinda silly IMO.

SE would have plenty to gain. Crono is a hugely popular face to Nintendo fans, especially the SNES crowd. Just because his name isn't shouted from the rooftops on forums like Geno is doesn't mean he wouldn't be a popular choice.

beans

Smash Lord

That not the way the cookie crumbles brudda
Nintendo made the list. Why would they choose push for marketable characters that probaly arent on their consoles?
Why not suggest one of the most beloved 16BIT RPG character on their oldschool console?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
DLC Predictions
  1. Eredrick/Slime (Geno??)
  2. Banjo and Kazooie, Minecraft Stage (I don't think that leak was right, I just think it makes sense)
  3. Kazuya Mishima
  4. Dragonblood Prince (Dragalia Lost)
  5. Eldegard
DLC Wishlist
  1. Geno
  2. Banjo and Kazooie, Spiral Mountain Stage (Moving stage that goes through Gruntilda's Lair and into multiple worlds)
  3. Kazuya Mishima
  4. Crash Bandicoot
  5. Spyro the Dragon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom