• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I will say, it's a shame they don't use Pyrosphere for big Ridley's boss ala Smash 4.
Technically Pyrosphere could've been brought back, boss Ridley and all since the boss is the clone Ridley from Other M and the playable Ridley is supposedly the original.

Shroob

Sup?
That not the way the cookie crumbles brudda
Nintendo made the list. Why would they choose push for marketable characters that probaly arent on their consoles?
Why not suggest one of the most beloved 16BIT RPG character on their oldschool console?
Because if said character doesn't sell, it's not making as much money.

I love Crono Trigger, but to think Crono would sell as well as goddamn Sora or any Dragon Quest character is laughable.

Like, let's reel it back for a moment and have a theoretical 'think' about Smash 4.

Sakurai could have chose Terra as Smash 4's Final Fantasy rep.

Which do you think would have sold more? Terra? Or mother****ing Cloud Strife.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Not saying Crono's likely, but using relevancy as an argument for deconfirming is kinda silly IMO.

SE would have plenty to gain. Crono is a hugely popular face to Nintendo fans, especially the SNES crowd. Just because his name isn't shouted from the rooftops on forums like Geno is doesn't mean he wouldn't be a popular choice.
*gasp*

Are you trying to say that Nintendo are going to pander to the SNES crowd?

They aren't done milking the NES for all it's worth yet.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: "Nah, I can't have both Pyrosphere and Ridley playable, and I can't just remove his boss version from the stage"
Also Sakurai: "lol chrom is in robins final smash"

D

Deleted member

I love Crono Trigger, but to think Crono would sell as well as goddamn Sora or any Dragon Quest character is laughable.

Like, let's reel it back for a moment and have a theoretical 'think' about Smash 4.

That is severely underselling Chrono Trigger. That game is still considered one of the greatest games ever made today.

Crono would sell just fine.

Shroob

Sup?
That is severely underselling Chrono Trigger. That game is still considered one of the greatest games ever made today.

Crono would sell just fine.
And I think this community's underselling Dragon Quest, the game which, when a new game comes out, is more or less a national holiday in Japan since they know soo many people are going to stay home and just play the game.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Sakurai: "Nah, I can't have both Pyrosphere and Ridley playable, and I can't just remove his boss version from the stage"
Also Sakurai: "lol chrom is in robins final smash"
Just think: you'd be able to have Ridley, Bigley and Meta Ridley teaming up to fight Samus, Samus and Samus.
It bugs me that the Smash 4 Ridley icon isn't in the Smily list.

While also having Robin fight alongside Chrom, Chrom and "De Chrome" on a different stage.

Somewhere else you can have Mario fight Mario. Or have a free-for-all Link, Link and Link battle.

Something's gone wrong in the happy-go-lucky world of Nintendo.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
And I think this community's underselling Dragon Quest, the game which, when a new game comes out, is more or less a national holiday in Japan since they know soo many people are going to stay home and just play the game.
Yeah, and one of the reasons Togashi can't finish Hiatus x Hiatus :4pacman:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I don't see any reason Crono would be in over a Dragon Quest character, especially because DQ11 switch is probably coming next year.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it's got to be said that the potential SE character would probably be a compromise between profitability and feasibility. On one end is Sora, who would sell an infinite amount of DLC but is harder to put in than properties purely owned by SE, and on the other end is Geno, a character easily able to be put in, but lacks the widespread appeal of many of the other possible SE characters.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Ah, poor Vergeben. People will just keep moving goalposts.
He gets Ridley, Snake, and Ice Climbers right, people start saying he isn't legit until Simon gets shown. Simon gets shown, people start saying he isn't legit until Isabelle is shown. Isabelle gets shown, people then say that unless Ken and Incineroar are shown, he isn't legit. Ken and Incineroar blow the biggest hoax in the community's history out of the water in the same trailer, and yet people still just can't admit that Vergeben is an actual leaker. When that Minecraft content or SE rep gets shown, people will still try to discredit him because they hate that he's right.

D

Deleted member

And it's a franchise that has an extremely small presence in the west.

If Sakurai was worried about Takamaru because of low exposure, I'm not sure how much better DQ would fare. DQ seems likely, yes, but on the same token, I wouldn't oversell that either.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
All this talk about irrelevance and nobody mentions how 74 of the characters in Smash Ultimate are irrelevant and the only character anyone really cares about is Piranha Plant.

Especially the people who deny this.

Cobalt Chalcedony

Smash Rookie

I feel like a Chocobo or a Moogle would have sold more than Cloud as they are the mascot of the series

But i do believe that its gonna be a Dragon Quest Rep instead of Crono, in japan a law was passed saying that Dragon Quest games had to be released on Weekends or National holidays because of how many people skipped work to play the game

beans

Smash Lord

You're kinda underselling Crono here. While he does have competition between DQ and KH reps, those two would be problematic to get.
Dragon Quest is still a bit niche in the west. Sora isnt a name Nintendo would put in the list, it would have a lot of hoops to go trough.
Crono is still a popular character that any medium fan of Nintendo/SNES/RPGs would know. You can argue that he wouldnt sell as much as any other relevant franchise, but you cant argue that there is a crowd for him.
To bring an old argument: "Why would Square let Cloud be used?"

I think it's got to be said that the potential SE character would probably be a compromise between profitability and feasibility. On one end is Sora, who would sell an infinite amount of DLC but is harder to put in than properties purely owned by SE, and on the other end is Geno, a character easily able to be put in, but lacks the widespread appeal of many of the other possible SE characters.
This^
Crono is right in the middle of the scale: big ties with Nintendo; famous RPG; worldwide appeal

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
He gets Ridley, Snake, and Ice Climbers right, people start saying he isn't legit until Simon gets shown. Simon gets shown, people start saying he isn't legit until Isabelle is shown. Isabelle gets shown, people then say that unless Ken and Incineroar are shown, he isn't legit. Ken and Incineroar blow the biggest hoax in the community's history out of the water in the same trailer, and yet people still just can't admit that Vergeben is an actual leaker. When that Minecraft content or SE rep gets shown, people will still try to discredit him because they hate that he's right.
People hate that he's right because he's a ****.

It's that simple.

Of course, that doesn't make him wrong, it just makes him a ****.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
DLC Predictions:
- Slime (Dragon Quest)
- Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
- Steve (Minecraft)
- King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
- Rayman (Rayman) or FE character.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You're kinda underselling Crono here. While he does have competition between DQ and KH reps, those two would be problematic to get.
Dragon Quest is still a bit niche in the west. Sora isnt a name Nintendo would put in the list, it would have a lot of hoops to go trough.
Crono is still a popular character that any medium fan of Nintendo/SNES/RPGs would know. You can argue that he wouldnt sell as much as any other relevant franchise, but you cant argue that there is a crowd for him.
To bring an old argument: "Why would Square let Cloud be used?"

This^
Crono is right in the middle of the scale: big ties with Nintendo; famous RPG; worldwide appeal
Can you back that up with actual evidence?

Because if ****ing Katalina from a mobile game is on the table, then there's nothing to say that Sora can't be.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
DLC Predictions:
- Slime (Dragon Quest)
- Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
- Steve (Minecraft)
- King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
- Rayman (Rayman) or FE character.
Wow pretty much bang on with mine, except I think we'll have a gen 8 pokemon for sure, maybe replacing either Dee or Rayman/FE character.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
One last thing I will say about Sora, probably ever. If there is one person on earth that could totally destroy expectations and get exactly what they wanted from Disney without a major headache, it's Sakurai. I believe in that man. I really do.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
People hate that he's right because he's a ****.

It's that simple.

Of course, that doesn't make him wrong, it just makes him a ****.
Frankly, the only times I've seen him be a **** is when the community is provoking it in the first place. Not that it's justified, I'm still disappointed about him using autism as an insult, but it's not like it wasn't the result of him constantly getting **** from the community.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
No joke Smash wiki still refuse to admit hes legitimate while still claiming that Loz18 was because he only got E3 right... The mental gymnastics have their brains tied in pretzels.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Frankly, the only times I've seen him be a **** is when the community is provoking it in the first place. Not that it's justified, I'm still disappointed about him using autism as an insult, but it's not like it wasn't the result of him constantly getting **** from the community.
Another thing, by continuing to leak, he keeps giving people openings to move the goalposts.

As you said, people said he wouldn't be legit until Simon got in, while we were waiting for Simon, he leaked Isabelle.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still set in stone on Bandana Dee and Lloyd Irving being DLC. Maybe Steve too.

Of course as promised if I'm wrong I'll be eating a sock. It's a risk I'll take.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

Because if ****ing Katalina from a mobile game is on the table, then there's nothing to say that Sora can't be.
Katalina isnt on the table anymore. apparently Hitagi said she's out this morning. I am sad now.

Shroob

Sup?
Katalina isnt on the table anymore. apparently Hitagi said she's out this morning. I am sad now.
At this point, Hitagi flops more than a beached fish.

I'm only listening to Verg when it comes to leaks, and as far as I know, he still only has two points left.

LetterO

Smash Lord
How likely is Neku to be the Square Enix rep? With TWEWY Final Remix coming out recently, they could definitely market that. He's also been pretty much close to Nintendo despite being Square Enix. I feel like he's definitely someone Nintendo could've included on their list.

Of course, this is also my insane bias for wanting Neku in Smash speaking.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How likely is Neku to be the Square Enix rep? With TWEWY Final Remix coming out recently, they could definitely market that. He's also been pretty much close to Nintendo despite being Square Enix. I feel like he's definitely someone Nintendo could've included on their list.

Of course, this is also my insane bias for wanting Neku in Smash speaking.
I don't see it honestly. I'd even give Lara Croft better chances tbh and I want her.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well with my wants for DLC being deconfirmed as well, I'm happy to say I expect nothing anymore.

Whatever the characters are, I hope they're not Piranha plants. It'd be pretty damn lame if the entire pack was goomba, koopa, squid, lakitu, and regular boo.

beans

Smash Lord

We've already had people in this thread saying how theres a lot of boxes to check when working with Disney. If you start a deal with Disney for something they have, you gonna need to give something back. Ralph in All-Starts Racing is a deal that wouldnt have happened outside of the circunstances that Disney went to Sega and asked to use their characters on Wreck-it Ralph.
I dont think Nintendo would want to go trough all these hoops.
One big point for Sora tough, can be the big respects Disney has for Nomura's decisions in the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom