• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
These are all assumptions. You can be sure all you want but logistics of how business goes through doesn't at all line up for Sora. I'm really not over blowing the situation either. This is ACTUALLY how Disney operates. I dont know what you mean by "Reasons you can't disclose" but if you're going to make references to it after making such assumptions you did earlier in your post then you really, really should build on those reasons. If you really do have insider info then, by all means, tell me I'm wrong. I'd happily be wrong.
Well if you wanted to be told you're wrong then...

Seriously though youre underestimating the chance a little, Disney make a fortune on Kingdom Hearts so anything that'd get more eyes on the series (and they'd probably get a cut of the DLC Sales) would benefit them.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Crono for me , should be the best pick.

Nostalgic, one of the greates games of all time, great character, great music, people know about him

He is actualy the closest we will get to Goku in Smash

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm just saying guys. I've interned at multiple film studios and the horror stories people tell you about Disney are no joke. Even people from the studios that are owned BY Disney told me some of them.

I'm not saying y'all can't hope for Sora or even predict Sora. I'm just pointing out why he's unlikely. Even if that isn't what you want to hear.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Crona would be really cool. Second best SE character they could pick imo(first is Geno if only because he has such a long-lasting fan base).

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I gather that we're engaged in another Sora debate?

Let me know when it's over. I've lost the will to debate about him anymore.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Crono for me , should be the best pick.

Nostalgic, one of the greates games of all time, great character, great music, people know about him

He is actualy the closest we will get to Goku in Smash
Not exactly, a DQ Rep would do that too as its the same Artist Akira Toriyama

D

Deleted member

I'm just saying guys. I've interned at multiple film studios and the horror stories people tell you about Disney are no joke. Even people from the studios that are owned BY Disney told me some of them.

I'm not saying y'all can't hope for Sora or even predict Sora. I'm just pointing out why he's unlikely. Even if that isn't what you want to hear.
I heard that Pixar had to completely sell itself to Disney in order to prevent the launch of some Direct-to-DVD movies planned by Disney and based on Pixar properties, which the studio disliked a lot.

The original version of Toy Story 3 was apparently one of those, and it presented the death of Buzz and how he visited the company at China that created him.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Man, ngl, no matter who the SE rep is going to be, I'm not going to care all that much. I just want to know to get it out of the way already.

D

Deleted member

I still really feel like Noctis is a slept on choice. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turned out to be him.

As much as I want Sora, I'm changing my opinion on the matter a little bit. A week ago I was 100%, but after thinking about the other options? Sora kinda feels like a pipe dream, especially when there are a lot of other heavy hitter choices that wouldn't come with the same headaches implementing Sora would.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

There is no denying that Disney is a vicious monopoly who are highly controlling in the quest to make money. But it can also be said it is because they love money they would add Sora to Smash. Honestly it can be either way!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Is Disney really such a huge obstacle? Really? What reason do they have to be difficult regarding Sora?

I don't understand all the cynicism regarding third party companies when we've already seen how eager most of them are to work with Sakurai and Nintendo, and let Sakurai call the shots.
  • Konami allowing Snake back, despite the animosity between the company and his creator, Kojima.
  • Konami allowing a boatload of Castlevania content that's all classic.
  • Konami also allowing other content as Spirits or Assist Trophies, despite their notorious attitude over the past 3-4 years.
  • Capcom allowing Ken as an Echo Fighter, and having his classic design instead of his nasty SFV design.
  • Capcom allowing Monster Hunter content that isn't pushing Monster Hunter World.
  • Capcom and Konami not demanding that Richter/Ken be full characters instead of less-substantial Echo Fighters.
  • Square Enix letting Sakurai choose Cloud instead of some more recent "promotional" character.
  • Sega allowing Sonic to be in the game for the third time in a row, plus additional characters as Assist Trophies or Spirits.
  • Sega allowing Bayonetta, despite her relative lack of commercial success compared to their other franchises.
  • Bandai Namco allowing Pac-Man to have his classic design instead of his more recent design.
  • Bandai Namco not shoving in another one of their characters like Heihachi, despite them developing the game.
  • Microsoft publicly expressing an openness to allow Banjo Kazooie in Smash, as well as mentioning their cooperation with previous Rare IP's.
  • Microsoft working with Nintendo to establish historic crossplay between their consoles.
  • Microsoft allowing content from their other IP's in Minecraft on Nintendo platforms, including Banjo Kazooie and Halo.
I think most Smash players are more cynical and cutthroat than the companies they're being cynical about. You'd all make good businessmen.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
There is no denying that Disney is a vicious monopoly who are highly controlling in the quest to make money. But it can also be said it is because they love money they would add Sora to Smash. Honestly it can be either way!
That deal would benefit Nintendo far more than Disney or Square. It’s advertising for KH3, technically, but Nintendo/Smash fans are far from guaranteed to overlap with PS4 owners. And also, I’m not sure that representing Sora and Kingdom Hearts without any Disney characters showing up, would really seem worth it to Sakurai and Nintendo. Sora’s representation would feel neutered somewhat. But we’ll see.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
That deal would benefit Nintendo far more than Disney or Square. It’s advertising for KH3, technically, but Nintendo/Smash fans are far from guaranteed to overlap with PS4 owners. And also, I’m not sure that representing Sora and Kingdom Hearts without any Disney characters showing up, would really seem worth it to Sakurai and Nintendo. Sora’s representation would feel neutered somewhat. But we’ll see.
I dunno about that last part, It can be pretty easily done with how many OCs are part of kingdom hearts now.

D

Deleted member

Is Disney really such a huge obstacle? Really? What reason to they have to be difficult regarding Sora?

I don't understand all the cynicism regarding third party companies when we've already seen how eager most of them are to work with Sakurai and Nintendo, and let Sakurai call the shots.
  • Konami allowing Snake back, despite the animosity between the company and his creator, Kojima.
  • Konami also allowing other content as Spirits or Assist Trophies, despite their notorious attitude over the past 3-4 years.
  • Capcom allowing Ken as an Echo Fighter, and having his classic design instead of his nasty SFV design.
  • Capcom allowing Monster Hunter content that isn't pushing Monster Hunter World.
  • Capcom and Konami not demanding that Richter/Ken be full characters instead of less-substantial Echo Fighters.
  • Square Enix letting Sakurai choose Cloud instead of some more recent "promotional" character.
  • Sega allowing Sonic to be in the game for the third time in a row, plus additional characters as Assist Trophies or Spirits.
  • Sega allowing Bayonetta, despite her relative lack of commercial success compared to their other franchises.
  • Bandai Namco allowing Pac-Man to have his classic design instead of his more recent design.
  • Bandai Namco not shoving in another one of their characters like Heihachi, despite them developing the game.
  • Microsoft publicly expressing an openness to allow Banjo Kazooie in Smash, as well as mentioning their cooperation with previous Rare IP's.
  • Microsoft working with Nintendo to establish historic crossplay between their consoles.
  • Microsoft allowing content from their other IP's in Minecraft on Nintendo platforms, including Banjo Kazooie and Halo.
I think most Smash players are more cynical and cutthroat than the companies they're being cynical about. You'd all make good businessmen.
Key difference between those companies and Disney is that Disney is big. Very big. One of the biggest media conglomerates in the world, with incredible levels of money and influence. You list Square-Enix allowing an older character like Cloud, but that’s ignroing that Square themselves have appeared to be rather strict with this game considering the amount of content they have in the base game. And square is way smaller than Disney.
Listen, I ain’t a law guy. I can only speak from my perspective, limited as it is, and I’m seeing that Disney would be a pretty difficult company to work with.
That’s how is see it at least.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I still really feel like Noctis is a slept on choice. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turned out to be him.
Obvious personal bias aside, I'm expecting the SE rep to be someone who completely blindsides the speculation scene. Someone who isn't Sora or Geno or Slime or Terra or Tifa or any of the other dozen names circulating around. The ambiguity on this rep almost excites me more than the rep itself.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Yeah being sick is no fun, Im still a little sick, but I am feeling better. And haha thanks I try to be mature in making decisions.
Oh no wonder it looked so familiar, Im with you I love Studio Ghibli films, my favorites are Spirited Away, Priness Mononoke & Where the Wind Rises. Having a character in that art style would be really interesting.

I hadn't heard that Chibi robo track before, forget what I said about the other one, I prefer this one that Spanish guitar part is amazing.
I really wish Nintendo would add some more of their older music tracks to Smash, so that in that way they still get some sort of representation.

To be honest the music outside the game sounds very bland, it might just be because im not familiar with the game. However when I was looking for a really catchy DQ music track they all kind of sounded the same to me. There were some that were better than others, but the music from DQ11 really sounded just kind of ok.

Whats your opinion on the DQ composer? I heard that he is famous for not wanting to share his music outside of DQ games. Wouldn't this hurt a DQ rep? Also the fact that Yoko Shimomura the composer of Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG is already working on Smash Ultimate. Might help the chances of Sora or Geno over a DQ rep. Unless somehow Nintendo can convince Sugiyama to lend them his music, but I kind of doubt he will given his reputation. Also Sugiyama has been in a bad spotlight lately due to his views.

I finally found that Samurai Warriors music track I was looking for, its called Rescue
I could see them adding this song to the wrecking crew stage, Cody's theme its also a song from Final Fight
Congrats on your avatar.

I love everything Ghibli. I have high respect for Miyazaki and the work he's done. So definitely It'll be a total blast for me if any joined Smash. I know it's not happening though.

Oh you're being kind, they're all bland. It doesn't bother me cause it's meant to be that way, like the original game, the first Dragon Quest. That's what Dragon Quest kept intact (almost) through the years. Upgrading the music just so ever slightly, not escaping its roots. That's what I meant it might not look as good from the outside. I guess it became a tradition.

I don't know much about him. I never heard that he didn't want to share, and even so, I don't think he'd mind sharing it for Smash. I don't think it's his call anyway, it's Square's. Any musician can compose, so it doesn't necessarily mean it ups Sora's or Geno's chances. In fact I think Dragon Quest 11 being nominated for Game Awards ups a DQ rep chances over Geno and Sora, and Yoko will do us an "untraditional" DQ music ;)

Music:
This one's not bad but the one before it was better.
Almost every SFIV theme was excellent, they really did a wonderful job. I'll say though, Abel's :)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>Hazards off Wario Ware as a counterpick
>Legal Gamer
>No Unova League
What's wrong with non-neutral Wario Ware? Isn't the vertical to horizontal hitbox ratio pretty drastic? And Unova League without hazards is just Pokemon Battlefield.

Now Peach's Castle 64 as a counterpick? Now you're piping my interest.

beans

Smash Lord
Obvious personal bias aside, I'm expecting the SE rep to be someone who completely blindsides the speculation scene. Someone who isn't Sora or Geno or Slime or Terra or Tifa or any of the other dozen names circulating around. The ambiguity on this rep almost excites me more than the rep itself.
Ramza
Throws a stone
Cecil
Ends his arc really early
Chocobo
You cant be mad
Moogle
You cant be
Chubby Moogle
You can be mad
Ark
let me have this

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Sounds like a perfect time for Chocobo to come in. Seriously, I'd love the little guy, hah. But yeah, who knows.
Clearly Chocobo is the chosen one!

But seriously speaking, for some reason I feel like SE wouldn't really be that strict when it comes to Chocobo~

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I heard that Pixar had to completely sell itself to Disney in order to prevent the launch of some Direct-to-DVD movies planned by Disney and based on Pixar properties, which the studio disliked a lot.

The original version of Toy Story 3 was apparently one of those, and it presented the death of Buzz and how he visited the company at China that created him.
Not too far off from what I've been told actually. It all basically comes down to Pixar caring more about their properties than Disney ever would but yeah, you pretty much got it.
It's not even that Disney is a vicious monopoly. It's more that Disney always demands something in return and I don't think Nintendo is going to play that ball game.
Is Disney really such a huge obstacle? Really? What reason do they have to be difficult regarding Sora?

All these companies have always had a good business relationship with Nintendo. And even then Square got NO new content from for to Ultimate. Microsoft is the closest thing that comes to comparing to Disney and that company doesn't have any content in the game right now. Square not playing ball well is pretty damning in of itself and that's not even taking Disney into consideration.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Key difference between those companies and Disney is that Disney is big. Very big. One of the biggest media conglomerates in the world, with incredible levels of money and influence. You list Square-Enix allowing an older character like Cloud, but that’s ignroing that Square themselves have appeared to be rather strict with this game considering the amount of content they have in the base game. And square is way smaller than Disney.
Listen, I ain’t a law guy. I can only speak from my perspective, limited as it is, and I’m seeing that Disney would be a pretty difficult company to work with.
That’s how is see it at least.
But that's not evidence for why they'd be a problem. Being "big" doesn't mean that they're going to be difficult to work with. By that logic, with Square being smaller than Disney, Kingdom Hearts shouldn't even exist at all, because it's mostly Disney content being made by a Japanese company with little affiliation otherwise. If Disney wouldn't allow Sora in Smash, why would they allow Kingdom Hearts in the first place, let alone all the sequels and other merchandise?

Disney and Nintendo are already working together on a whole TV show designed to advertise the Nintendo Switch for God's sake.

The cynicism and pessimism regarding third-party negotiations and promotional characters boils down to "Sakurai is at the mercy of Nintendo/third parties who, because they're businesses, are going to force all these advertisement characters into the game, because they only want to allow recent stuff that benefits them financially," despite that being totally contrary to all previous instances of third-party content in the game. It's not a judgment based in facts and evidence, but in blind cynicism that ignores all evidence.

The only piece of evidence to give any credence to the notion of promotional or advertisement characters is the fact that Sakurai said that Nintendo gave Sakurai the list of characters to choose from, but the other half to that statement is that Sakurai was the one who made the final decisions. He still called the shots at the end, rather than him or third parties forcing him to do specific characters.

It's entirely possible that that list of characters had plenty of promotional characters. It's entirely possible that Sakurai chose some of them. But the past evidence of third-party involvement and other character/content decisions do not support the "promotional apocalypse" people seem to be expecting.

Polan

Smash Lord

yeah all the disney fearmongering among smash fans has always felt....overblown. either way the smash fanbase is almost always wrong so i wouldn't take those "bUt dIsNey!1!1" arguments that seriously.

D

Deleted member

Reminder that Thanos was literally in Fortnite y'all can't say there's no way Sora can be in

then again thanos was a timed exclusive but as long as disney is willing to play ball with nintendo nomura can probably step in and ask disney to let nintendo have sora as a full character since disney lets nomura do whatever the **** he wants

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
It's not even that Disney is a vicious monopoly. It's more that Disney always demands something in return and I don't think Nintendo is going to play that ball game.
IDK maybe they'll want another Epic Mickey or to move those games to other platforms? Disney aren't that power hungry.
Edit :I can't fix this post help!

Last edited:

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i dont think disney will care as great for sora rather than along the lines of "dont hurt our characters uwu": the franchise vs capcom infinite

i'm not saying that'll affect his chances i just wanna rag on mvci lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom