• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Sneaky Pebbles are annoying, but the fact that despite them, Megazard Y is still OU should be a testament as to how not-metadefining they are.

The meta isn't balanced around having hazard removal, like it was with mimikyu forcing entire teams having an anti-mimikyu check
In all fairness Megazard Y is only able to surpass it's rock weakness because it's so goshdang terrifying, and even as a Zard fan I really don't want to live in a world where it doesn't have a x4 rock weakness.

There's still enough counterplay around stealth rocks that I don't see it as a massive, ban-worthy issue, but it can still be pretty troublesome how it skews the game's balance so heavily against rock-weak pokemon. At least in my eyes.

trivialEquinox

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0888-9891-1486
Ok, we're gonna need a Detective Pikachu alt now. I'm gonna main Pikachu forever if he has that detective hat.

Double K

Smash Lord
What is a Landorus-T?
Landorus-T is obnoxious and super strong, but it's not defining the meta.

It's ran in every team because it's very good, as opposed to everyone running a something to check for say, Pheromosa back when it was around in OU

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
What is a Landorus-T?
A pokemon with only 91 base speed who is far easier to check then Blaziken.

In all fairness honestly haven't played Competitive Mon's in a good long while so I couldn't say how toxic it is for the metagame exactly. But it doesn't force everyone to "just run Toxapex or Azumarill or get screwed over".

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Care to elaborate? I've never been much of a Link player in prior games but curious
So in previous games, Link was plagued by his poor mobility and overall slowness. If you could get around his projectile camping then he was beaten.
However, Young Link is great in this game because he has what link desperately needed before, which is throw combos and fast aerials that beat out airdodging.
Whew let's not, they're awful.
Whats wrong with Smogon?

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Has anything come out of the VGA announcements yet or do I have to wait before I rub in the fact that I was right about Shrek all along.

Double K

Smash Lord

In all fairness honestly haven't played Competitive Mon's in a good long while so I couldn't say how toxic it is for the metagame exactly. But it doesn't force everyone to "just run Toxapex or Azumarill or get screwed over".
It's iirc, the #1 pokemon in OU usage, but it tends to run two sets, varying the offensive option iirc, so it's pretty predictable. It's just that most teams don't have a lead that can answer it

Pakky

Smash Hero

However it does cause overcentralization

D

Deleted member

Might sound condescending
Gonna be honest, it kind of does.
I agree with you that more often than not, insiders are vague in order to protect their sources rather than attention-whoring, but I can’t exactly blame someone for doubting Hitagi considering the nature of his claims, and the relatively limited degree of certainty he has about all of them except Steve.

Double K

Smash Lord
However it does cause overcentralization
Not really. Overcentrilization means that the meta is built around having an answer to something, like having an answer to Tapu Lele or Pheromosa when it was around, and pretty much any Z-move gaurantees you can eliminate it if its that much of a threat. Landorus-T is strong, but a team doesn't need to dedicate a slot to dealing with it

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Whats wrong with Smogon?
Smogonites are the Melee players of the Pokemon fandom.

There's a small handful of them who are kind of obnoxious and a lot of more casual fans hate the entire group because they don't understand all of the rules set in place. "Landy-T only, no Double Team, Final Destination".
They remove a lot of wall busting pokes in favor of a stall based meta.

And cherry pick what is and is not over centralizing
Generally offensive pokemon with good speed are waaaaaay harder to keep in check then defensive ones. Back when I played around the time of the Phermosa ban, true stall was effectively impossible to keep viable. It's naturally being kept in check by powercreep.

D

Deleted member

I feel like a lot of their bans are justified. I can't really think of an unfair ban they've made in my competitive life time
Drizzle not being allowed in lower tiers. Just let me use frog in a tier where it's not outclassed by Pelipper please.
:186:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Hey guys, this IS Smash related (to an extent lol) but one of the leakers who was denying the Grinch leak posted a video on their twitter with a fake news anchor talking about the leak. Do you guys remember who that was? I'm trying to find that fake news anchor and google is not helping me :'(

Double K

Smash Lord
Hey guys, this IS Smash related (to an extent lol) but one of the leakers who was denying the Grinch leak posted a video on their twitter with a fake news anchor talking about the leak. Do you guys remember who that was? I'm trying to find that fake news anchor and google is not helping me :'(
Are you sure it isn't one of the Fiverrr people?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
It was probably Voiceover Pete. He needs your credit card number and the 3 digits on the back.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So guys

Let's say Sakurai decides to throw a curveball at us to make us mad. And that is making Chrono an Echo of Cloud

Thoughts?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Hmm things are going slow ... let's talk about ... music.

What series will be getting new music this week? What remixes do you want to hear?

Interestingly every series that's got two tracks on the Smash blog has been a series we already knew was getting a load of remixes. And I think they've now been through all those series. So if this week's music is from an already-represented series perhaps that's a sign it'll be getting a load more in Ultimate. Or we might get something from a series that doesn't have anything on the blog next, which would be nice. Personally hoping from something WarioWare this week. What about you?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I got nuthin then. I mean someone already said Magnus but would Sakurai be that vain to keep bringing up the fact he made Kid Icarus Uprising?
I hope he is that vain...I want more Kid Icarus content from everyone and everything and every game

Iridium

Smash Hero
I hope he is that vain...I want more Kid Icarus content from everyone and everything and every game
Exactly. Him, Pyrrhon, Viridi or Hades can work, to me. I really hope Sakurai doesn't let the concept of "Sakurai bias" get in the way of that (he most likely wouldn't, hopefully).

Not looking at Viridi as just a background character either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What series will be getting new music this week? What remixes do you want to hear?

Interestingly every series that's got two tracks on the Smash blog has been a series we already knew was getting a load of remixes. And I think they've now been through all those series. So if this week's music is from an already-represented series perhaps that's a sign it'll be getting a load more in Ultimate. Or we might get something from a series that doesn't have anything on the blog next, which would be nice. Personally hoping from something WarioWare this week. What about you?
I'm hoping for EarthBound, but we'll probably get something lame like Mario.

Double K

Smash Lord
So another random "Hurr Cygames" idea

https://gbf.wiki/Cagliostro_(Dark)

Capable of juggling with ranged explosions, has a familiar she has and in general fits a more dedicated mage aspect since even Palutena iirc uses magic weapons

Uhhh

if it's any series on Nintendo, I'd love to see some Octopath myself

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I wouldn't mind a second Yoshi track :yoshi:

Untouch

Smash Master

I have a feeling it'll be Mario music, the music from the PP reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom