• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
yeah im not calling dragonborn or master chief "fanservice". those are some pretty blatant corporate shill characters
They may not be in Japan, but there would be plenty of people happy to see those characters. If being a corporate shill means you include popular, ubiquitous gaming characters, that's kind of the base on which Smash has built itself and expanded from.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Well this is interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...e_might_get_a_season_2_of_smash_ultimate_dlc/

Now... I know this might be a bit early to speculate on... but there might actually be some sort of substance to this potentially being a reality.
So for those who don't know, Smash Ultimate's Fighters Pass is suppose to wrap up around February of 2020. The pass contains 5 fighters, stages, and loads of music that will be released sporadically up to that point after the game's launch. We don't know the contents of it yet, other than the pre-order bonus. Which is a Mii Fighter costume based off of Rex and Pyra.
However, in this case, we need to take a look at the timeframe because that's when things become very interesting.
Before even DLC was announced, a YouTuber going by the online username IAmShifty has said that according to what he heard, Smash Ultimate is going to get downloadable content support for about Two Years. Which is a longer timeframe than games normally have.
Well... if you calculate the timeframe from the launch of the game to February 2020, you get 1 year and 3 months. Which is significantly less than 2 years.
That makes for two possibilities. On one hand, IAmShifty might have gotten some information mixed up, which is entirely possible. Or, if this piece of information is definitive, then it could mean that there's plans in the pipeline for more content after this first season pass.
Now, normally I would personally avoid rumors like this as always... but this person perfectly described the reveal of Piranha Plant before it was even announced (at 6:14 in video). Which... similar to Gematsu predicting the Wii Fit Trainer... raises some eyebrows. So... it's definitely something that... while I'd still take this with a grain of salt and hype responsibly... maybe keep in the back of your minds as a potential option Nintendo might go for.
Especially here lately with Nintendo trying to emphasize DLC development. So these next couple years could certainly be interesting for Smash Ultimate. We'll just have to wait and see.

Video predicting Piranha Plant : at 6:14.

Video of Two Year Rumor

TL:DR: IamSwifty says the DLC for Smash will be supported for Smash for two years. He also ended up leaking Piranha Plant.

Of course keep the motto of be skeptical until there's evidence.
I'm down for another year of stuff, I got the money. I just wonder who they'll pick, since (according to the fans, at least) spirits deconfirm characters, and with how many there are, the well's gonna be bone dry...
Guys, let's just assume that spirits don't affect character choices and just keep the hype train running, okay?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I've always hated "this character sticks out as a sore thumb" as a counterargument against character choices. Are you telling me that everyone else belongs together? That the more realistic Little Mac belongs with the anime-faced Zelda and Pokemon Trainer and simplified cartoon Villager and Ness? That it's fine for one anthropomorphic animal to look like Fox and another like Sonic? And how about characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Mr.Game&Watch who are supposed to stick out?

Smash Brothers is a massive crossover between countless games. There isn't supposed to be any sort of consistency behind the "style" of character picks, so how about we stop acting like the has to be some based off of some arbitrary boundaries and fan rules?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
-looks up Torneko-

....****, now I want this dude.
torneko is awesome yeah, he's got his own spin-off game. an entire section of one of the actual dq games is dedicated to him and the game suddenly turns from rpg to shop management

its really great

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I've always hated "this character sticks out as a sore thumb" as a counterargument against character choices. Are you telling me that everyone else belongs together? That the more realistic Little Mac belongs with the anime-faced Zelda and Pokemon Trainer and simplified cartoon Villager and Ness? That it's fine for one anthropomorphic animal to look like Fox and another like Sonic? And how about characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Mr.Game&Watch who are supposed to stick out?

Smash Brothers is a massive crossover between countless games. There isn't supposed to be any sort of consistency behind the "style" of character picks, so how about we stop acting like the has to be some based off of some arbitrary boundaries and fan rules?
Hell, there is style inconsistency between the SAME CHARACTERS!!!

:4cloud::4cloud2:

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
hahahahaha you haven't played the game
Yes I have, and even in that game her bikini isn't even a bikini lmao. She's supposed to be the sexy type, but DQXI - despite past games being a lot more suggestive - put all its effort into not sexualizing her that much. Even her bunnysuit barely shows any skin.

The most suggestive thing about her is her puff-puff, which every single DQ game has.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well this is interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...e_might_get_a_season_2_of_smash_ultimate_dlc/

Now... I know this might be a bit early to speculate on... but there might actually be some sort of substance to this potentially being a reality.
So for those who don't know, Smash Ultimate's Fighters Pass is suppose to wrap up around February of 2020. The pass contains 5 fighters, stages, and loads of music that will be released sporadically up to that point after the game's launch. We don't know the contents of it yet, other than the pre-order bonus. Which is a Mii Fighter costume based off of Rex and Pyra.
However, in this case, we need to take a look at the timeframe because that's when things become very interesting.
Before even DLC was announced, a YouTuber going by the online username IAmShifty has said that according to what he heard, Smash Ultimate is going to get downloadable content support for about Two Years. Which is a longer timeframe than games normally have.
Well... if you calculate the timeframe from the launch of the game to February 2020, you get 1 year and 3 months. Which is significantly less than 2 years.
That makes for two possibilities. On one hand, IAmShifty might have gotten some information mixed up, which is entirely possible. Or, if this piece of information is definitive, then it could mean that there's plans in the pipeline for more content after this first season pass.
Now, normally I would personally avoid rumors like this as always... but this person perfectly described the reveal of Piranha Plant before it was even announced (at 6:14 in video). Which... similar to Gematsu predicting the Wii Fit Trainer... raises some eyebrows. So... it's definitely something that... while I'd still take this with a grain of salt and hype responsibly... maybe keep in the back of your minds as a potential option Nintendo might go for.
Especially here lately with Nintendo trying to emphasize DLC development. So these next couple years could certainly be interesting for Smash Ultimate. We'll just have to wait and see.

Video predicting Piranha Plant : at 6:14.

Video of Two Year Rumor

TL:DR: IamSwifty says the DLC for Smash will be supported for Smash for two years. He also ended up leaking Piranha Plant.

Of course keep the motto of be skeptical until there's evidence.
If you ask me, we really don't even need "someone to leak info" on this when it feels all but confirmed.

When Nintendo themselves said back during their investors meeting that they wanna push more huge updates via DLC and other means to their "big titles", which no doubt would be games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Smash Ultimate, etc., it feels like it'd be wrong to just have one cycle of DLC for Smash.

If anything, I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Torna Expansion was a test of that, and it worked pretty damn well for the most part. Did they market the expansion like ****ing crazy? Yeah lol Hell, it might just help Rex & Pyra's chances in Smash and that whole Rex Mii Costume section was another elaborate ruse.

I just can't see Smash Ultimate sticking with 5 sets of DLC where the Switch is their most successful console at the moment and they've went on record saying they wanna push DLC more than ever.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Okay so backtracking here,

Hitagi is saying the SE rep is from DQ?
he said he "heard things" about a dq character but also he's not exactly being reliable with his information and he could just be making everything up for attention

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I think he's being facetious, buddy.
I know. I was being sarcastic as that line is one that Geno fans have been defending against for 10 years. I've finally come full circle lol. Tbh I actually wouldn't mind Jade too much, she'd be a naginata user which would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh yeah, I'm a bit late to the Warchamp roster train but here it is. There was an awful lot of potential mains to choose from but I've narrowed it down to these five characters.
UltimateMains.png

The joke is that I'm maining Pokemon Trainer no matter what. Probably going to have a preference for Zard though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

he said he "heard things" about a dq character but also he's not exactly being reliable with his information and he could just be making everything up for attention
He probably heard LeakyPandy saying there'll be a Dragon Quest character. :nifty:

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
I completely agree. If there was any other Final Fantasy rep coming, I do think it would be from Final Fantasy 7 again, since I find it suspicious that Cloud's series name is Final Fantasy 7 and not just Final Fantasy.

I see Sephiroth more as a boss. I honestly don't know how they could balance his fighting style and large sword into a playable fighter.
And no.. he can't be an echo of Cloud
Tifa, however, would fit the role perfectly.
But Sakurai already made it very clear that none of the DLC characters will be echoes. Unless on the off chance that was a massive translation error, that should open the door for characters that may seem "too difficult" to implement at first, such as Sephiroth in your example.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Here's what confuses me about the "2 years of DLC" thing.

How much more could you fit into 7 months to really make a Season 2 worth it?

Like, ending in Season 1 is perfect. The Stage box is perfectly filled. 80 characters total. Perfect.

Season 2 would **** it all up with like, 3 characters.

D

Deleted member

torneko is awesome yeah, he's got his own spin-off game. an entire section of one of the actual dq games is dedicated to him and the game suddenly turns from rpg to shop management

its really great
I like goofy characters that happen to be badass, so he's perfect to me.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think Verge knew about PP beforehand but like any sane person refused to utter a word because it's ****ing PP

But yeah it's...it's curious.
Leaks just keep marching on I guess.
The reality with gaming journalism and insiders is that everything gets leaked because people have loose lips. This includes Ultimate.

Not everything makes it out publicly onto the Internet, but if you have the right connections with the industry, you can know everything months before it shows up online because all of this stuff circulates within the insiders before anyone has the guts to actually post it on a public forum. It's really just how the industry works, and why insiders are so valuable.

D

Deleted member

Like, ending in Season 1 is perfect. The Stage box is perfectly filled. 80 characters total. Perfect.

Smash 4's CSS was still ****ed up even with all the DLC, and honestly, I think more stages would be good to bring an update to the stage selection screen because... Oof. While I'm super appreciative, man that selection screen is an intimidating monster. Definitely could be fixed a tiny bit.

Bionichute

Smash Champion

2 years would probably just be a rough estimate, 5 characters for each year

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The reality with gaming journalism and insiders is that everything gets leaked because people have loose lips. This includes Ultimate.

Not everything makes it out publicly onto the Internet, but if you have the right connections with the industry, you can know everything months before it shows up online because all of this stuff circulates within the insiders before anyone has the guts to actually post it on a public forum. It's really just how the industry works, and why insiders are so valuable.
Yet there wasn't a peep about Bayo, or Cloud, or any of the DLC really besides Roy and Ryu who were leaked by Nintendo.

This can be explained by times changing I'm sure but it's very odd.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I get that it rounds closer to one year, but "two years" of DLC could just mean 2018-2020.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I get that it rounds closer to one year, but "two years" of DLC could just mean 2018-2020.
Could it, though? If the source knew the DLC schedule they'd clearly know when it starts as well, which would be VERY late 2018/early 2019. I think they'd get the difference.

In my mind you could totally be right but I do think the difference between a year and 3 months and 2 years is something the source would've taken into account

D

Deleted member

I think he's being facetious, buddy.
I'm not, actually.

-DQXI is huge.
-Jade is the Isabelle of the game.
-Crossovers ignore the Heroes in favor of the popular side party members.

The last point is why I don't take the idea of Erdrick or Eight or whoever seriously.
But will it be Jade that gets in? Hard to say one way or the other. But she's the one I feel has the best odds with DLC talks now that DQXI has had exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not, actually.

-DQXI is huge.

The last point is why I don't take the idea of Erdrick or Eight or whoever seriously.
But will it be Jade that gets in? Hard to say one way or the other. But she's the one I feel has the best odds with DLC talks now that DQXI has had exposure.
Golden I've seen ya here for 4 years so I'm trusting you not to shlap around Geno

Jade's cool she is pretty and has nice hair so I wouldn't mind her

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I'm not, actually.

-DQXI is huge.

they're more likely to go for a nostalgia ploy imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom