• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Look, if you like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 good for you. I acknowledge the critical success the game has and that it has its fans and that's fine.

I just don't like the game. I can't get into it at all, and compared to the original Xenoblade Chronicles it's a step back overall. In terms of story, characters, gameplay, and even world to an extent.
And that's fine. But when you're the only one on a fourm that likes a certian game, and every time that game gets brought up, it gets panned left and right nonstop, you tend get a bit tired of the same arguments over and over. And I'm done with it. The bubble this board has on XC2 is just that; a bubble and nothing more. It's not worth paying attention too.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You people should just like both Kindom Hearts and Xenoblade 2 while simultaneously thinking both are pretty dumb like me.
Listen if XC2 was a sick character action game with me doing air comboes on Amalthus, I wouldn't care about literally anything else about the game.
10/10. 100/100, got to uppercut a god in the face.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wish that Monolith Soft would take over development of the Pokemon games. Sure we'd have to wait longer for new installments, but I'd say it would be worth it, considering the state of the franchise now.
This is an awful idea, imo. Xenoblade and Pokemon are nothing alike, and as much as I'd hate to say it, Xenoblade gameplay is awful.

Now let's wait until we learn about Pokemon 2019 before we start singing doom and gloom for the franchise? Everyone is cynical and in a bad mood because of Let's Go but I'm like 90% certain that's not the actual direction the future of the franchise is going in.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Jokes on you buddy, it is.

...Unless you meant the Rainbow Curse version of the song, in which case, why would you even want Rainbow Curse music at all lmao
is the original version actually in the game, all i can find is youtube videos of the original song with a static image that says smash bros ultimate, nothing about it being in the game.

also have you listened to the rainbow curse version? its incredible, arguably better than the original

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
oh come on, nomura himself hardly understands the story.
he's said it himself.

he's confused the characters so many times and lost track. https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/14/17462782/kingdom-hearts-3-confusing-story-nomura-e3
i'm not saying that the writing is bad, but the story and plots themselves are pretty, uh. well, nomura speaks for himself.

At least XC2's creator managed to keep track. probably.
Eh, XC2 looks like it's not confident in it's story telling to me. There are camera shots with some of the girls just standing there in the background at an angle so you can look at their boobs. They don't even do anything and the scene isn't even about them during those shots, and considering the game registers going to a different camera shot as movement and that makes the jiggle physics activate, it seems like the XC2 crew went "Oh god nobody's going to like our story just put boobs everywhere and hope they distract the players". But yeah it has some ****ing garbage in it's writing because they went "QUICK WHAT DID WE DO WITH THE FSN FAVOURITE CHARACTER LAST GAME? JUST DO THAT AGAIN" for something I especially hated that the game pulled

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Look me straight dead in the eyes and tell me that interconnected quests that aren't just involved in singular areas (or in this case, Titans) are worse than "Monster Quest 1 Part 1", "Challenge 2", "Collection Quest 4". Do it while I'm eating my totally existing sandwich, actually.

View attachment 176639
Fetch-quests and spread out quests are much more tedious and boring than simple quests that reward the player for tasks they are already doing anyways. Xenoblade Chronicles also had its fair share of spread out and story-oriented quests as well, so you'll have to do more than cherry pick here.

You were saying?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
And that's fine. But when you're the only one on a fourm that likes a certian game, and every time that game gets brought up, it gets panned left and right nonstop, you tend get a bit tired of the same arguments over and over. And I'm done with it. The bubble this board has on XC2 is just that; a bubble and nothing more. It's not worth paying attention too.
Do what I do.

State what you love regardless of what others think :yoshi:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh, XC2 looks like it's not confident in it's story telling to me. There are camera shots with some of the girls just standing there in the background at an angle so you can look at their boobs. They don't even do anything and the scene isn't even about them during those shots, and considering the game registers going to a different camera shot as movement and that makes the jiggle physics activate, it seems like the XC2 crew went "Oh god nobody's going to like our story just put boobs everywhere and hope they distract the players". But yeah it has some ****ing garbage in it's writing because they went "QUICK WHAT DID WE DO WITH THE FSN FAVOURITE CHARACTER LAST GAME? JUST DO THAT AGAIN" for something I especially hated that the game pulled
That isn't related to storytelling or confidence. That's a different issue altogether.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This is an awful idea, imo. Xenoblade and Pokemon are nothing alike, and as much as I'd hate to say it, Xenoblade gameplay is awful.

Now let's wait until we learn about Pokemon 2019 before we start singing doom and gloom for the franchise? Everyone is cynical and in a bad mood because of Let's Go but I'm like 90% certain that's not the actual direction the future of the franchise is going in.
I hope you're right. If I have to use waggle controls to catch a Pokemon without an ability next year i'm gonna be pissed.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, I try not to trash-talk games I don't like, because at the end of the day, there are fans of everything, and I don't wanna burn my bridges with those fans.

For example, I really do think that XC2 is an actually good game; those millions of sales weren't for nothing. I just also think that it's not something that appeals to me, and I can accept that

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
this feels like a conversation I should take a part in because very relevant interests but like

I don't have anything really to say?? XC1 is my favorite game period and probably will be for a long time, XC2 I could write a paper on the many flaws and positives of that game and I'm always one who loves a piece of media that has extreme highs and lows. But it's just the same old statement most people say

if you like it, like it, if you don't, you don't. Experiences and enjoyment aren't very productive for debate since it's not like a decision people make

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I don't care what people say about it. I love XC2. I also love SMT, Dragon Quest IV, Final Fantasy IV, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Kingdom Hearts 2. I like any JRPG that I like, and I don't give a damn what people say.
But apparently some JRPG fans don't understand the concept of differentiating opinions :p.
It's hard not to run into a circlejerk that repeatedly trashes something ad nauseam despite all the insulting being done to death and back. The internet loves to beat a horse until they can hit the bone, and they'll probably keep at it until it's so far down they can walk above it.

I hate to be "that guy", but that's exactly the same kind of situation Undertale is in. Just the mere mention within earshot can cause people allergic to it to experience all sorts of symptoms like:
-Frothing at the mouth until they dehydrate
-Spontaneously develop Mad Cow Disease
-Experiencing immeasurable levels of salt content in blood
The fact that both games aren't anywhere near the size and scale that their detractors make them out to be just makes both groups look so damn stupid. You can tell that they're either out of the loop or just intentionally looking for bad eggs to justify their bias. Never mind that the arguments are so trivial and false that you can call out a liar right away.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now if you wanted some real controversy, let me tell you why HGSS is actually kinda meh.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Pokemon Emerald was only good for Rayquaza. :nifty:
Okay but you still haven't answered my question:

Why would you like Diamond when Platinum objectively renders it obsolete? Like, Platinum:
  • Sped up the slow and tedious battle mechanics of Diamond and Pearl
  • Fixed pacing problems within the original games
  • Increased the difficulty from Diamond and Pearl to make for a more challenging and engaging game
    • This included a complete overhaul of trainers, gym leaders, the Elite 4, and even Cynthia, who they made more difficult (as if it was possible)
  • Made it easier to obtain the Sinnoh evolutions for previous-gen Pokémon
  • ADDED THE GEN 4 BATTLE FRONTIER (this is one of the best things Platinum did)
How can you say you like it for any reason other than nostalgia?
Now if you wanted some real controversy, let me tell you why HGSS is actually kinda meh.
It totally is though. The remakes are great, but they don't fix the errors that Johto has as a region, namely the absolutely horrible leveling curve.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Why would you like Diamond when Platinum objectively renders it obsolete? Like, Platinum:
  • Increased the difficulty from Diamond and Pearl to make for a more challenging and engaging game
    • This included a complete overhaul of trainers, gym leaders, the Elite 4, and even Cynthia, who they made more difficult (as if it was possible)
I like Dialga on the title screen more then Giratina. :4larry:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You lads ready for a Hot take?

I like Sun and Moon. And I didn't even mind the abundance of cutscenes, in fact I enjoyed them.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nah. Everytime a JRPG argument breaks out, I'm going to post this meme.
You know that's only gonna make people want to do it more, right?
My RPG opinion: Pokémon Black/White 2 is the best in the series. Hands down.
I can agree with this, though I'd say Platinum is equal to it.
You lads ready for a Hot take?

I like Sun and Moon. And I didn't even mind the abundance of cutscenes, in fact I enjoyed them.
Not even a hot take. Sun and Moon were an interesting direction for Pokémon, and the focus on story seemed to be a step in the right direction. While the hand holding was overbearing at times, it wasn't horrible, and trials made for a difficult enough experience.

And then Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon had to completely butcher the story, the one really good Sun and Moon had, in favor of a generic Pokémon garbage plot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fetch-quests and spread out quests are much more tedious and boring than simple quests that reward the player for tasks they are already doing anyways. Xenoblade Chronicles also had its fair share of spread out and story-oriented quests as well, so you'll have to do more than cherry pick here.

You were saying?
But when it's practically almost 50-60% of all the quests in the game, you know that's a bit of a problem. And don't get me wrong, I love Xenoblade 1, I even got the New 3DS port because well, "LUL RARE WII GAME", and I'll even consider it the best RPG from the Wii/Xbox 360/PS3 era. Put over 200 hours in that *****, too. But you can't deny that the amount of those Monster/Challenge/Collection/Material/Search Quests after a few hours became an absolute ****ing chore and didn't give more depth to areas like Alcamoth, Makna Forest, or even Colony 6, and that area literally only had building the area up for exposition.

Also, Timed Quests. **** that. I don't care if this is the greatest game of all time, Timed Quests ****ing suck in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Hey guys, what's happen-

Xenoblade 2 controversy again

Ohhhhh boy, it's that time of the month, isn't it?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You lads ready for a Hot take!

I enjoy them too.

I just don't enjoy them again... and again... and again.
Like ****, Pokemon.
I've played you since I've been wearing diapers.
Can I just... PLEASE... just skip the tutorial on how to throw a pokeball.

PLEASE.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
DDD brought a lot of the story together, 2.8 linked some more and I expect III to finish linking things up with the only unanswered stuff being related to the future saga, potentially having to do with the KHX stuff. I honestly do enjoy all the mind blowing questions that get raised because it keeps me coming back, because I'm not as pessimistic as KH detractors like to be who just repeat the same jokes about the story that either won't be finished or understood.

But that's me. I also enjoy One Piece for the story that's been going on for 20 years and keep looking forward to getting answers for things. Plus there was an arc that was basically just Oda dropping bombs without explaining **** and it was incredibly hype for me and everyone I spoke with about it. There's a lot of enjoyment I get from trying to figure out what stuff means and when it is explained and something else pops up, it just draws me right back in.
Speaking of connections to KHX
Marluxia is connected to the plot of KHX like Ventus. They are really old characters who might have participated or seen the keyblade war. So, yes, there is a connection.
I probably treat KHIII as the last game just because I dont see it being close to finish in the future though I wish you luck with the future of Kingdom hearts (Braver soul than mine).

Funnily enough, Oda has been tying up important plot points. It really seems like we are starting to see the end of the line by the horizon. I cant wait to see how it ends.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
it had pokethlon, its automatically better than gen 6
You actually played that? Even me, the guy who won every contest thought it was lame.

Nah. Everytime a JRPG argument breaks out, I'm going to post this meme.

I'll listen. Why not?
Johto is really boring with very few interesting aspects. It feels like Kanto 2 but worse due to balance and arbitrary wait times in an RPG.

MainJPW

M.T.A

she really don't look good. the mix of human features and rabbit features do not blend in a way that looks at all decent, and her colors are way too bright with no real contrast. there's also her lack of a stomach in this art, yikes
You’re not wrong.

God she looks like if Michelin Man and Lola Bunny from Space Jam had a daughter. What the **** is wrong with her stomach?

D

Deleted member

Actuall, you know what? This is what I'm going to post everytime a JRPG argument like this breaks out again:

Much more fitting is you ask me.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nothing can kill Gangplank galleon.
Both are equally hype for different reasons.
But Lifelight played after all but Kirby died, meaning the people behind the GPG remix and the song itself are also dead...unless the song is a hype minion made by Lifelight

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sun and Moon are actually some of the best Pokemon games. I actually think they are better then the first Black and White.

D

Deleted member

It totally is though. The remakes are great, but they don't fix the errors that Johto has as a region, namely the absolutely horrible leveling curve.
I'm gonna be real with you, chief.

...I completely missed the question and didn't see it posted lmao

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
So what's all this about Xenoblade 2 controversy? I don't see why there would be a debate about this. If you like the game, good for you. If you don't like it, don't make others feel bad for liking it. Seems simple enough.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I loved Sun and Moon. It would probably be tedious on repeat playthroughs, but overall it was awesome. But the Ultra games? Nah.
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon didn't really need to exist, and it butchered Sun and Moon's story, but for what it was, it was alright. It gave me Poipole after all!
That's why I haven't thrown it into the eternal flame.

Now Let's Go Pikachu is a different story. I'm willing to give it a chance but i'd be lying if I said I didn't preemptively start the fire.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

I respectfully disagree. Xenoblade's gameplay is fun, and I really do believe Monolith Soft would do the series more justice than GameFreak. It's not just LGPE that are bad games (although they're definitely the worst so far). Pokemon Sun and Moon had many issues holding them back as well. There was very little exploration, with characters like Lillie and Hau interrupting you every five minutes or so to tell you something useless. Aside from Vast Poni Canyon, there were no large dungeons to explore. Cutscenes and dialogue were completely unskippable, despite several other RPGs having this option. The Pokemon designs were mostly good, but there weren't that many compared to what we got in Gen 3 and Gen 5. The music was great, no complaints there. The story was also pretty good. USUM were lackluster enhanced versions that barely added anything new to the original Sun and Moon. It even took away the good points of the original story. The Ultra Recon squad didn't get a proper backstory. They just appeared randomly in the games without any build-up, and when you finally got to see their homeland, it was just another linear corridor. There was still no Battle Frontier, and although Rainbow Rocket was enjoyable for about an hour, it lacked the replayability of the Frontier. Roto-Loto was the same as the O-Powers from Pokemon X and Y, but with added RNG for inconvenience. I hope that the Gen 8 games are at least better than Sun and Moon and fix its shortcomings.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Let’s all agree that Kid Icarus needs to continue making games instead of ending with a complete trilogy

NineS

Smash Lord
You’re not wrong.

God she looks like if Michelin Man and Lola Bunny from Space Jam had a daughter. What the **** is wrong with her stomach?
That's.. I couldn't even tell it was supposed to be a rabbit-person until someone pointed it out.
These however:

These are better bunny rabbit person designs to me.

Let’s all agree that Kid Icarus needs to continue making games instead of ending with a complete trilogy
Amen to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom