• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NineS

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter. They still exist.

kingdom hearts has more competent storytelling than xenoblade 2

and p5 has hit 3 million
oh come on, nomura himself hardly understands the story.
he's said it himself.

he's confused the characters so many times and lost track. https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/14/17462782/kingdom-hearts-3-confusing-story-nomura-e3
i'm not saying that the writing is bad, but the story and plots themselves are pretty, uh. well, nomura speaks for himself.

At least XC2's creator managed to keep track. probably.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Competent storytelling doesn't use time travel as a last resort.

That said, the first Kingdom Hearts game's story was good.
he's said it himself.

he's confused the characters so many times and lost track. https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/14/17462782/kingdom-hearts-3-confusing-story-nomura-e3

To steal another person's response
Nah, actually, I'm going to disagree with you on this one.
Kingdom Hearts's story-telling is actually really well-done with dozens of great character moments and scenes
It's got some genuinely good drama in there nestled between the Disney Final Fantasy weirdness.

Now Kingdom Hearts's actual story is some ridiculous insane nonsense that Nomura probably came up with when he was reaaaaaaally drunk, split across 50 bazillion games that are all, for some reason, canonical. Like I've played 90% of the games' plot and I still get lost sometimes.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
More like not being able to tell a story in 8. There is barely anything between all those games that can be called a cohesive coherent story.
I beg to differ but I tend to enjoy longer stories so I find a lot to look forward to with each new KH game. Just hope they don't do anything like release 3 games on 3 different systems again or have Japan only Final Mix releases again.

and p5 has hit 3 million
Yeah, and Kingdom Hearts has the worst story telling in any video game, yet it's regarded as a classic and we meme the **** out of Donald Duck and Goofy of all characters with anime and Final Fantasy. Also, Persona 5: 2.2M | Xenoblade 2: 1.52M. 2/3rds and it being a JRPG ain't bad at all.

Guess you can't win them all, right?

View attachment 176627
Good for you. But as someone who genuienly liked XC2, the amount of hate it gets here, and only here, is exhausting to trek through. So, I'm gonna tag out o here now. Let me know when you guys are through bashing it for the, what, 5th time?
Personally I'm glad to know there are people who hate Xenoblade 2 as much as I do.
Because **** Xenoblade 2. Where's my X port Nintendo, that game deserves another chance.
This. Persona, SMT, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest games are all pretty much explained within one game.

Also Xenoblade 2 isn't a good game.
monolith soft isn't the king. they've made one great game, one eh game and the unholy abortion known as xenoblade 2

atlus and square are far better
Xenoblade 2 isn't a good game because it's an awesome game.
Opinions on RPGs should be banned.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

and p5 has hit 3 million
>kingdom hearts
>has more competent storytelling then xenoblade 2

Do you realize that those xenogames actually have deep meanings to the lore behind it, (Yes, Xenoblade is part of Xeno-games but it was speculated that they were connected in another way or other way?) Lemme tell you hint behind those: ****ing sentient star who was actually god with G captial.

Go play xenogear my dude, and then you will see how it plays out there.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i dont actually care about xenoblade 2 the rabbit lady just really made me angry because she was badly designed

D

Deleted member

Nah, actually, I'm going to disagree with you on this one.
Kingdom Hearts's story-telling is actually really well-done with dozens of great character moments and scenes
It's got some genuinely good drama in there nestled between the Disney Final Fantasy weirdness.

Now Kingdom Hearts's actual story is some ridiculous insane nonsense that Nomura probably came up with when he was reaaaaaaally drunk, split across 50 bazillion games that are all, for some reason, canonical. Like I've played 90% of the games' plot and I still get lost sometimes.
Mate, you misread that and I meant the latter half of your post lmao, that was what I meant by "storytelling" because Jesus Christ, Nomura probably has taken the most acid trips out of any Japanese man on this planet.

And we have Sakurai on this planet, and he put a ****ing Piranha Plant in Smash. BUT HEY, IT'S THE ONLY WAY PETEY PIRANHA IS IN SMASH. HE'S THE BEST MARIO BOSS CHARACTER AND I WILL ****ING FIGHT YOU ALL ON THAT ONE.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackghost

Smash Champion
i cant understand why and how the xenoblade fandom already has this much infighting and they have 3 GAMES. maybe its just a smashbaords thing.
i hope elma is dlc so they can settle it in smash.
if you love rex so much play a mii and rep like a true fan.

but this whole attacking people over what they like needs to stop. that behavior creates toxicity. we all like smash and want to enjoy the game can we stop calling each other pedos, weebs, and other stuff please? its not a good way to start a new entry in this seires.

NineS

Smash Lord
To steal another person's response
Note: I was speaking of the story, not the story-telling. or the characters.

Even when it comes to characters, though, Nomura still seems to get them mixed up. I'm not entirely sure how, though...

Unless he's drunk the majority of the time he's working on this game. I hope he isn't, unless he's Yoko Taro.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Monolith Soft was a great acquisition for Nintendo, while we know them for the Xenoblade series they have been working behind the scenes for helping develop many of Nintendo's big projects like Brawl, Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Splatoon 1 + 2. They still have a bit to go to prove themselves against JRPG giants like Square Enix when it comes to legacy and consistency, but they're a very competent developer.

D

Deleted member

This. Sometimes it seems like JRPG fans are almost as bad as Fighting Game fans.
You and me both. 4chan has a lot of detractors as well. The more petty **** I see online, the more I tend to ignore it. Some people just can't help but to hate things for petty reasons, after all.
I don't care what people say about it. I love XC2. I also love SMT, Dragon Quest IV, Final Fantasy IV, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Kingdom Hearts 2. I like any JRPG that I like, and I don't give a damn what people say.
But apparently some JRPG fans don't understand the concept of differentiating opinions :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Note: I was speaking of the story, not the story-telling. or the characters.

Even when it comes to characters, though, Nomura still seems to get them mixed up.
Watch them put Minnie Mouse back into this ****ing franchise and she'll be the catalyst for everyone to come together.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
he's said it himself.

i'm not saying that the writing is bad, but the story and plots themselves are pretty, uh. well, nomura speaks for himself.

At least KH doesn't have cringey and unnecessary fanservice like XC2

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Also did anyone notice that Olimar is the Fighter of the Day?

In other words, NOT Piranha Plant...
Piranha Plant is too soon I guess, he's revealed but he's not part of the base roster like everyone else.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Understandable, he's not in the game yet.
Not even in the mural.

Hope it's just that DLC characters aren't added until release and not that they won't be added at all.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I beg to differ but I tend to enjoy longer stories so I find a lot to look forward to with each new KH game. Just hope they don't do anything like release 3 games on 3 different systems again or have Japan only Final Mix releases again.

But the answers are for the most part are underwhelming and keep creating more and more questions. I doubt we will ever reach the point in the story where there are more answers than questions. Basically, being in invested in a story that wont get a foreseeable end that wont ever get you closure. And it really hurts human beings when we cannot have closure on something, it is human nature.

*looks at Kingdom Hearts 3D* Yes there is.
Not to mention it gives a new meaning to the phrase "me, myself and I" with Organization XIII

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
At least KH doesn't have cringey and unnecessary fanservice like XC2
alright, that's where i draw the line.
that's one of the don'ts of the internet.
don't compare fanbases.

and more importantly, don't let your opinion of the game and the content itself get muddied by the people associated with it.
please, do not do that. keep this in mind.
yoko taro is watching.
cont.gif

Bionichute

Smash Champion
don't compare fanbases.

and more importantly, don't let your opinion of the game and the content itself get muddied by the people associated with it.
yoko taro is watching.
View attachment 176634
he didnt say fans. he said fanservice. not the same thing

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not even in the mural.

Hope it's just that DLC characters aren't added until release and not that they won't be added at all.
There is also hand-drawen art in Classic Mode. I doubt they can add characters to that but mural? Sure. I just doubt they'd do it because there will be already promotional material without DLC characters in it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
don't compare fanbases.

yoko taro is watching.
I agree with the sentiment, but fanservice is a completely different thing than fandom.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This. Sometimes it seems like JRPG fans are almost as bad as Fighting Game fans.

I don't care what people say about it. I love XC2. I also love SMT, Dragon Quest IV, Final Fantasy IV, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn and Kingdom Hearts 2. I like any JRPG that I like, and I don't give a damn what people say.
But apparently some JRPG fans don't understand the concept of differentiating opinions :p.
Look, if you like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 good for you. I acknowledge the critical success the game has and that it has its fans and that's fine.

I just don't like the game. I can't get into it at all, and compared to the original Xenoblade Chronicles it's a step back overall. In terms of story, characters, gameplay, and even world to an extent.
That my friend is called violating the constitution.

Also there are plenty of conversations that should be banned here that aren't. RPG debates are tame compared to some of the **** I've seen here and around the internet.
So you know that Pokemon Diamond is the best Pokemon then, great! I knew we could be pals, Noipoi.
Honest question: would you like Diamond when it's rendered obsolete by Platinum?

Like, Platinum, the actual best Pokémon game, took everything Diamond and Pearl did and made it better. And it also added some new stuff just because it could.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You people should just like both Kindom Hearts and Xenoblade 2 while simultaneously thinking both are pretty dumb like me.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Monolith Soft was a great acquisition for Nintendo, while we know them for the Xenoblade series they have been working behind the scenes for helping develop many of Nintendo's big projects like Brawl, Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Splatoon 1 + 2. They still have a bit to go to prove themselves against JRPG giants like Square Enix when it comes to legacy and consistency, but they're a very competent developer.
I wish that Monolith Soft would take over development of the Pokemon games. Sure we'd have to wait longer for new installments, but I'd say it would be worth it, considering the state of the franchise now.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Pics or GTFO.

she really don't look good. the mix of human features and rabbit features do not blend in a way that looks at all decent, and her colors are way too bright with no real contrast. there's also her lack of a stomach in this art, yikes

LetterO

Smash Lord
You know, I think I’ve realized something.

I’d actually be perfectly fine without a Rhythm Heaven character. The game is already great enough as is, and the DLC characters that could happen instead of Tibby are amazing enough on their own. I’m still gonna keep wanting Rhythm Heaven for the rest of time, but I think for now, I’m keeping my predictions on them low. Here’s my predictions for the DLC.

-Sylux
-Sora/Geno
-Doomguy
-Crash or Steve/Banjo
-Bandana Dee

D

Deleted member

Look, if you like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 good for you. I acknowledge the critical success the game has and that it has its fans and that's fine.

I just don't like the game. I can't get into it at all, and compared to the original Xenoblade Chronicles it's a step back overall. In terms of story, characters, gameplay, and even world to an extent.
Look me straight dead in the eyes and tell me that interconnected quests that aren't just involved in singular areas (or in this case, Titans) are worse than "Monster Quest 1 Part 1", "Challenge 2", "Collection Quest 4". Do it while I'm eating my totally existing sandwich, actually.

Delicious!.png

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
But the answers are for the most party underwhelming and keep creating more and more questions. I doubt we Will ever rech the point in the story where there are more answers than questions. Basically, being in invested in a story that wont get a foreseeable end wont ever get you closure. And it really hurts human beings when we cannot have closure on something, it is human nature.

Not to mention it gives a new meaning to the phrase "me, myself and I" with Organization XIII
DDD brought a lot of the story together, 2.8 linked some more and I expect III to finish linking things up with the only unanswered stuff being related to the future saga, potentially having to do with the KHX stuff. I honestly do enjoy all the mind blowing questions that get raised because it keeps me coming back, because I'm not as pessimistic as KH detractors like to be who just repeat the same jokes about the story that either won't be finished or understood.

But that's me. I also enjoy One Piece for the story that's been going on for 20 years and keep looking forward to getting answers for things. Plus there was an arc that was basically just Oda dropping bombs without explaining **** and it was incredibly hype for me and everyone I spoke with about it. There's a lot of enjoyment I get from trying to figure out what stuff means and when it is explained and something else pops up, it just draws me right back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom