• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll give up backing Banjo and Dixie, they don't seem very likely. Nintendo will choose higher profiles than the pink monkey and Minecraft is rumored, I don't think in another MS character as a possibilty.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So, I've recently learned something.
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/
Square Enix just had an extraordinary loss.

I don't think they can really afford to be too picky about who Nintendo would want in Smash now, I'm betting they'll try to take whatever money they can get. Granted, they'll still try to push for the most profitable character just because they don't want to make too many more mistakes.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20181107_01en.pdf
Well yes, that's what happens when you don't release any game and prepare yourself in marketing for your big one in January...it doesn't...means anything?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
SE has a gigantic game people have been waiting for for ages to release that has editions that go for over $200 coming in two months. I think they will be fine

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure out of all the things Sakurai would say on Twitter, it would not be to defend himself for DLC choices.

He's CLEARLY just specifying that Nintendo is choosing the characters over 3rd parties telling them which ones they can pick. They likely ask the 3rd party if they can be considered. Once They have the okay, they are put onto a list that Sakurai chooses from. I'm sure many of the fanbases characters are on there, but it's up to Sakurai to pick which of the 5 that will find permanent homes in this game

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Im going to continue to back Medusa and Elma because I believe they have a really good chance.. Also, I think Linkle has a good chance to be added too if they are to add a Zelda character.

For Square, Im leaning more towards Geno just him being part of the Mario universe and you would think Nintendo would want to get him in.. They came so far, he was already a Mii costume its to go all the way with it!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The theories about Sakurai's tweet are making me laugh.

''This means few third partys and definitely rules out -blank-' No. Third party guest characters sell incredibly well, why do you think EVERY fighting game does it?

''I guess this means Nintendo didn't trust Sakurai to make his own choices." Look, it's 26 years into the relationship and they've even waited for him before to direct games. This ain't it boys and girls.

''It won't be people we want and Nintendo will make horrible choices based on promotional reasons only." Sure, we might get a newcomer who slips in because of promotion, but lol, Nintendo's not stupid, they'll be fan favorites and fan wants in the DLC because they're a company and they know that will sell.

The chicken with head cut off craze going on around the internet because of a simple tweet is amazing.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
I hope Dixie makes it in as DLC, she could be an entirely new character as she doesn't have too many similarities to Diddy besides bubblegum popgun. She could utilize her hair for her grab and some of her attacks. She'd be floaty too.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I hope Dixie makes it in as DLC, she could be an entirely new character as she doesn't have too many similarities to Diddy besides bubblegum popgun. She could utilize her hair for her grab and some of her attacks. She'd be floaty too.
Hoping for dixie too...

But i think the 5 dlc characters will be something like that:

Elma
Edelgard
Pokemon Gen 8
Luminary from DQ11
Steve

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
The theories about Sakurai's tweet are making me laugh.

''This means few third partys and definitely rules out -blank-' No. Third party guest characters sell incredibly well, why do you think EVERY fighting game does it?

''I guess this means Nintendo didn't trust Sakurai to make his own choices." Look, it's 26 years into the relationship and they've even waited for him before to direct games. This ain't it boys and girls.

''It won't be people we want and Nintendo will make horrible choices based on promotional reasons only." Sure, we might get a newcomer who slips in because of promotion, but lol, Nintendo's not stupid, they'll be fan favorites and fan wants in the DLC because they're a company and they know that will sell.

The chicken with head cut off craze going on around the internet because of a simple tweet is amazing.
What I find hilarious is that Corrin was literally the only promotional DLC character out of 7 last game yet people are using this as reason #1 for why they think it will happen. Additionally, many of Nintendo's big games already released, with Fire emblem and Metroid really being the only ones with new content releasing. Metroid is covered in Ultimate, and tbh I'm not convinced Fire emblem will be a DLC rep. Smash 4 got 2 Awakening reps due to the massive hype behind the game at the time and it technically carried on to Fates, with little regard to how people took Corrin as a character. I don't see Three Houses being treated the same. Not this time.

TeamFlareZakk

What I find hilarious is that Corrin was literally the only promotional DLC character out of 7 last game yet people are using this as reason #1 for why they think it will happen. Additionally, many of Nintendo's big games already released, with Fire emblem and Metroid really being the only ones with new content releasing. Metroid is covered in Ultimate, and tbh I'm not convinced Fire emblem will be a DLC rep. Smash 4 got 2 Awakening reps due to the massive hype behind the game at the time and it technically carried on to Fates, with little regard to how people took Corrin as a character. I don't see Three Houses being treated the same. Not this time.
Medusa could totes be the promotional character for a new Kid Icarus game.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Also, I think Linkle has a good chance to be added too if they are to add a Zelda character.
Please, please, please not Linkle. Zelda has more than enough blonde-haired/blue-eyed/pointy-eared reps and we don't need what visually amounts to Zelda cosplaying as Link. No Lana either pls. Zelda has a great cast of characters with really diverse designs and we're far from scraping the bottom of the non-canon barrel.

TeamFlareZakk

Please, please, please not Linkle. Zelda has more than enough blonde-haired/blue-eyed/pointy-eared reps and we don't need what visually amounts to Zelda cosplaying as Link. No Lana either pls. Zelda has a great cast of characters with really diverse designs and we're far from scraping the bottom of the non-canon barrel.
We want Lana for a Happy Lana Day!

The best choice though would be Cia, and Impa would be pretty cool too.. Its not Skull Kid, we know that.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Guile theme is lit as always

Also

That tweet regarding Nintendo being the ones themselves to pick the DLC lineup makes me think we'll get less 3rd parties than expected

argh...
If we are getting less third party characters, then I would expect the speculated Square-Enix character and possibly a Minecraft character to be a part of the fighters pass along with three other Nintendo characters.

TeamFlareZakk

Guile theme is lit as always

Also

That tweet regarding Nintendo being the ones themselves to pick the DLC lineup makes me think we'll get less 3rd parties than expected

argh...
Good.. I was just expecting Square and Minecraft anyway because those were the ones Verge mentioned.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Hoping for dixie too...

But i think the 5 dlc characters will be something like that:

Elma
Edelgard
Pokemon Gen 8
Luminary from DQ11
Steve
In addition to that, im hoping for a small echo pack with:

Dixie Kong
Octoling
Impa

Not that much work, but very much satisfaction!

Dixie: Only missing important nintendo character not as a fighter or as an assist trophy.

Impa: Zelda needs newcomer after a long time. Even if she is echo.

Octoling: Personally i didnt play splatoon 2, i dont even have a switch yet (waiting for smash ultimate :D), but i know these guys are popular and fresh.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Who knows, maybe they picked popular and well loved characters, yeah they might add 1 literal who to shill one of their franchises, but other than that i think we will be safe.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
In addition to that, im hoping for a small echo pack with:

Dixie Kong
Octoling
Impa

Not that much work, but very much satisfaction!

Dixie: Only missing important nintendo character not as a fighter or as an assist trophy.

Impa: Zelda needs newcomer after a long time. Even if she is echo.

Octoling: Personally i didnt play splatoon 2, i dont even have a switch yet (waiting for smash ultimate :D), but i know these guys are popular and fresh.
I think they made it very clear we won't get echoes as DLC.

TeamFlareZakk

First off Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom is stupid, I will make wrestling references if I want to and you people will respect that.. Im getting so sick and tired of this, I try my best and for what? Bunch of disrespectful losers... DONT YOU EVER INSULT WRESTLING!!!

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

The best choice though would be Cia, and Impa would be pretty cool too.. Its not Skull Kid, we know that.
Oh god no, Lana would be even worse: she's so ****ing uninspired.

Impa could be cool, though she'd most realistically be an echo and Sakurai said that none of the 5 in the DLC pack are echoes.

At this point, Ganon is probably the best option for Zelda. I'd ideally not like to have another variation of Link/Zelda/Ganondorf, but his fighting style could be pretty cool and it's hard to deny his importance to the series. Also we're really running out of viable options as most the bigger Zelda requests are assist trophies.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
First off Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom is stupid, I will make wrestling references if I want to and you people will respect that.. Im getting so sick and tired of this, I try my best and for what? Bunch of disrespectful losers... DONT YOU EVER INSULT WRESTLING!!!
Bunch of rude, disrespectful neckbeards! What the **** is wrong with you people?!! I try my best to make conversation and all you do is disrespect me? **** you!
This thread is chock full of copypasta material.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Oh god no, Lana would be even worse: she's so ****ing uninspired.

Impa could be cool, though she'd most realistically be an echo and Sakurai said that none of the 5 in the DLC pack are echoes.

At this point, Ganon is probably the best option for Zelda. I'd ideally not like to have another variation of Link/Zelda/Ganondorf, but his fighting style could be pretty cool and it's hard to deny his importance to the series. Also we're really running out of viable options as most the bigger Zelda requests are assist trophies.
Monster Ganon would be sick! Especially the one from LTTP

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, it was fairly successful enough to actually consider adding her as a playable character for funsies, so I guess it is.

I wish lmao. I do wonder what third party characters are on the list Nintendo gave Sakurai, of any. Wonder how large that list is period. Like, idk, 20? 50?
I hope Rayman is on there, especially since he's not having any games since Legends out at the moment.

Besides, literally everyone outside of the core trio is being conspicuously ignored from the main series anyway, even Tingle.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So are some of the spirit fights in a separate mode or are the only in World of Light?

At first, I just assumed they were also replacing/acting as Event Mode for this game. But maybe the ones we saw in the direct earlier on are also the ones in World of Light.

We still have Multi-Man Melee, which also has an All-Star version, so there's at least two modes in one.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Well, it was fairly successful enough to actually consider adding her as a playable character for funsies, so I guess it is.

I hope Rayman is on there, especially since he's not having any games since Legends out at the moment.

Besides, literally everyone outside of the core trio is being conspicuously ignored from the main series anyway, even Tingle.
Ikr, we could have totally had characters like Midna, Ghirahim, Zant, but nope.. Just a bunch of Links.

Oh Toon Ganon could be a good option too.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure if its real, but i saw someone saying that Robin´s final smash is still Pair Up with Chrom, can someone confirm that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom