• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
So what we have for certain according to Vergeben are, Katalina and Steve we don't know yet who are in from the Square Side, that could be either Geno or Sora if there was talk. To summarize we have at least 2/5 of the DLC characters known (I think I will trust Vergeben)

Three characters slot left, I will believe in my Sylux then for match with the release of Metroid Prime 4 as a commercial tie in ♥

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
So the reccuring name as DLC from what I understand are:

• Sora
  • Geno
  • Katalina
  • Steve
  • Banjo-Kazooie
Are those still the most quoted from insiders ?
With Nintendo choosing the newcomers Banjo and Geno have no chance. No credible insider has even talked about Banjo and it's extremely unlikely that Vergeben's Square Enix character is Geno.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Question: what are Poochy's powers and abilities?
He's invincible and can sniff things out.... admittedly that's about it, but has anyone learned that Sakurai can make movesets of anything now (he may even utilize the Poochy-pups)

The main reason I'm going for him is the willingness for Nintendo to parade him everywhere. He even has his name BEFORE my boi's in the 3DS port of Woolly World...

GrimPain

Smash Rookie
I'm really curious as to who or what part of Nintendo got to decide who the DLC pool of characters, and also why now are they deciding to make the choices instead of leaving it to sakurai? Kind of makes one think that they might have a promotional agenda if they wanted to take the helm on the DLC.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Still waiting on Nero for MvC...
Come on, he's been my most wanted for years Capcom. Put him in something, ANYTHING.
Nero's Revving mechanic would be really fun, like putting out an assist so you can charge up, getting EX moves for free basically. And Snatch working like Scorpion's Bloody Spear.

I've been waiting years for the chance to have a Spider-Man/Venom/Green Goblin team. Adding in Dante/Nero/Vergil, MMX/Zero/Axl would be great. Also getting Wolverine/Storm/Magneto back.

All the things dogs can do. Dig, Run, Stand on spikes. Y'know, the usual.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post; censor dodging
Good thing Nintendo's no longer racist now that they removed the G&W attack animation.

Just kidding! Until they add a woman of colour as Smash DLC I'm still pegging them as racist. Good thing they have one of those in their games! Let's shame them relentlessly until they add Elma to Smash Bros.

(I am only half-kidding.)

EDIT: Hopefully "Mira" isn't a banned word. My bad about the original.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'll make a topic for it one day (when I'm granted the privileges to mess with images, that is), but how would everyone feel if the next Smash game isn't actually "Smash"? Let's give it the rundown we all expect out of a hypothetical sequel:
-Lots of character cuts, mostly on the 3rd-party end
-Lots of new stage replacements, to accommodate whatever is hip with the lads
-Smaller roster closer to Melee in order to place emphasis on a more reserved and "balanced" roster
-All-in-all shallow and unneeded reboot on the surface-

BUUUUUT

(wait for it)

The new game's Nintendo roster is only 25% of the true full roster, and the stages aren't shown in their entirety:
-The other 75% of the game is made up of Capcom, Namco, and Sega characters. The roster consists of 100 characters, 20 more than the total we're getting for Ultimate
-The game still plays like Smash, except that now it includes new type of stage layout called a "Turbo" stage, which plays like the Vs. Capcom games with all the crazy hyper-combo horse **** you can do in them
-In the "Turbo" layout, you can choose up to 4 fighters for a team, each with their own HP bar like in the Vs. Capcom games, and plays exactly like them
-On the single-player front, Namco creates an original story mode of sorts that pairs all 4 worlds together ala Namco x Capcom, but with a greater emphasis on strategy roleplaying so that it doesn't feel like a borefest as some have found with the last two Project X Zone titles
-The game's packed with so much for a reboot that it's only less of Ultimate because of the inevitable downgrade, and more of a collaborative effort between four iconic companies. The resulting game surpasses Ultimate by feeling like a 4-in-1 package, huddling different types of communities together

Konami and Square-Enix are out of this hypothetical for the time being, since the former still needs to work back the public's trust and the latter is notoriously stingy and let's face it: They'd provide the least amount of manpower creating a masterpiece like that. But other than that...

How would you guys feel about this sort of game?

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Good thing Nintendo's no longer racist now that they removed the G&W attack animation.

Just kidding! Until they add a woman of colour as Smash DLC I'm still pegging them as racist. Good thing they have one of those in their games! Let's shame them relentlessly until they add Elma to Smash Bros.

Mod Edit: Image removed

(I am only half-kidding.)
They beat ya to it

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Villager, Inkling and Mii exist

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'll make a topic for it one day (when I'm granted the privileges to mess with images, that is), but how would everyone feel if the next Smash game isn't actually "Smash"? Let's give it the rundown we all expect out of a hypothetical sequel:
-Smaller roster closer to Melee in order to place emphasis on a more reserved and "balanced" roster

BUUUUUT

(wait for it)

The new game's Nintendo roster is only 25% of the true full roster, and the stages aren't shown in their entirety:
-The other 75% of the game is made up of Capcom, Namco, and Sega characters. The roster consists of 100 characters, 20 more than the total we're getting for Ultimate
-The game still plays like Smash, except that now it includes new type of stage layout called a "Turbo" stage, which plays like the Vs. Capcom games with all the crazy hyper-combo horse **** you can do in them
-In the "Turbo" layout, you can choose up to 4 fighters for a team, each with their own HP bar like in the Vs. Capcom games, and plays exactly like them
-On the single-player front, Namco creates an original story mode of sorts that pairs all 4 worlds together ala Namco x Capcom, but with a greater emphasis on strategy roleplaying so that it doesn't feel like a borefest as some have found with the last two Project X Zone titles
-The game's packed with so much for a reboot that it's only less of Ultimate because of the inevitable downgrade, and more of a collaborative effort between four iconic companies. The resulting game surpasses Ultimate by feeling like a 4-in-1 package, huddling different types of communities together

Konami and Square-Enix are out of this hypothetical for the time being, since the former still needs to work back the public's trust and the latter is notoriously stingy and let's face it: They'd provide the least amount of manpower creating a masterpiece like that. But other than that...

Hey, I'll try anything once.

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo wants to play it safe, Poochy, the Octolings, a new FE character and maybe a character from Rhythm Heaven, that's the kind of characters we should expect. Then again...

This exists....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

BUUUUUT

(wait for it)

That'd be fine with a few conditions.

1. We keep :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultlittlemac::ultkirby::ultpit::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultdiddy: :ultyoshi::ultfox:at least. Obviously Link, Pikachu, Peach and Zelda are likely to stay too.
2. We get two Mega Men(not counting Zero, who'd likely be in). :ultmegaman::ultmegaman:, Ryu and Ken stay :ultryu::ultken:. Dante, Chun-Li, V. Joe and Jill are in too.
3. We get at least 2 Tekken characters.
4. Streets of Rage gets a lot of music in the game.

Honestly dude, I think you saved video games.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
if all these characters are purely for promotion then I'm hyped for the new piranha plant game
I bet the back says, Piranha is Planting his feet firmly to the ground to take a stand. "I leaf no flower behind!"

I...uhhh...I'll just leave...

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
With Nintendo choosing the newcomers Banjo and Geno have no chance. No credible insider has even talked about Banjo and it's extremely unlikely that Vergeben's Square Enix character is Geno.
Interesting so that could be either Sora or Lara Croft or any other Square Enix characters from Dragon Quest, I want to know so badly lol

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo’s removing racist caricatures from their games? Are they somehow admitting they were wrong?

Let’s you and me campaign for blackface Jynx as a Pokéball Pokémon. We shall ****ing overcome, fam.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Nintendo wants to play it safe, Poochy, the Octolings, a new FE character and maybe a character from Rhythm Heaven, that's the kind of characters we should expect. Then again...

This exists....
I prefer Spyro in almost every regard. But Japan does like Crash a lot. He was even one of the biggest western games in Japan until Spider-Man PS4 came out and did it's thing.

So...Crash for Smash I guess.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

1. We keep :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultlittlemac::ultkirby::ultpit::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultfox:at least. Obviously Link, Pikachu, Peach and Zelda are likely to stay too.
2. We get two Mega Men(not counting Zero, who'd likely be in). :ultmegaman::ultmegaman:, Ryu and Ken stay :ultryu::ultken:. Dante, Chun-Li, V. Joe and Jill are in too.

So it's like the Project X Zone roster but better?

I'm in, yo

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
With an official launch commercial featuring a new Piranha Plant music number just like the one for Super Mario RPG.

I'm so torn.

should I feel bummed geno didnt get in as a final base roster reveal and piranha plant did...
OR should I take piranha plant as our mario rpg (commercial) rep and be happy we got a nod to mario rpg haha

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

1. We keep :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultlittlemac::ultkirby::ultpit::ultganondorf::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultfox:at least. Obviously Link, Pikachu, Peach and Zelda are likely to stay too.

Awww shucks! I mean, I'd hate to bring it up, but if BBTAG can do that sort of thing for niche series', I'm sure the bigger heads can pull it off too. Just some ideas off the top of my head:

For Nintendo, at least these 5:
-Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
-Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
-Link (The Legend of Zelda)
-Samus (Metroid)
-Captain Falcon (F-Zero)

For Sega, at least these 5:
-Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
-Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
-Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
-Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
-Demi-Fiend (Shin Megami Tensei)

For Capcom, at least these 5:
-Ryu (Street Fighter)
-Mega Man X (Mega Man)
-Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
-Strider Hiryu (Strider)
-Dante (Devil May Cry)

For Namco, at least these 5:
-Jin Kazama (Tekken)
-KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
-Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
-Valkyrie (Legend of Valkyrie)
-Lloyd Irving (Tales Of)

And keep in mind, this is just 25% of what we could have across the board. Theres 20 other characters under each company that I haven't even listed.

Nintendo’s removing racist caricatures from their games? Are they somehow admitting they were wrong?

Let’s you and me campaign for blackface Jynx as a Pokéball Pokémon. We shall ****ing overcome, fam.
As long the redesign makes her look attractive by furry standards, I'm all for it [kappa]

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Something about those singing Piranha Plants in that commercial really upset me for some reason, and no, it's not their voice. It's something to do with the way they're animated. I don't like it.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I'm so torn.

should I feel bummed geno didnt get in as a final base roster reveal and piranha plant did...
OR should I take piranha plant as our mario rpg (commercial) rep and be happy we got a nod to mario rpg haha
have hope for geno my guy. sakurai knows how popular he is, he'd be perfect for dlc right next to steve

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
With an official launch commercial featuring a new Piranha Plant music number just like the one for Super Mario RPG.

Piranha Plant was our SMRPG character this whole time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Can barge through anything, can jump super high, can carry a dinosur and a baby both at once and the Poochy Pups can be fly to where secrets are and be thrown like eggs.

Also, is adorable and precious beyond belief.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So we now know that Nintendo suggested the DLC characters. I wonder if that includes the Piranha Plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom