• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
To be real for you guys, having a Dragon Quest rep. is gonna be the closest thing that any casual Dragon Ball fan is ever going to get.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To be honest, I find Sora's attacks to not really pack a punch, the only ones that do are that attack where he summons spinning diamonds, ones that look like he's flailing around, and his aerial attacks.
Well yeah, he's supposed to be nimble and fast and fluid than anything else.

Plus, this move's pretty satisfying if nothing else

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
Clearly Nintendo will pick Galeem as a DLC character to promote their upcoming game, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Wait a minute...
Galeem doesn't deserve to be in Smash. He's a literally who, his game isn't even out yet, and he's not iconic enough. Besides, he's just a bunch of wings, how can you make a moveset out of that?

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
So, Nintendo chose the new DLC characters for marketing purposes.
Which characters do you think would make Smash and other Nintendo games sell tons of copies?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Speaking of Spawn -

Here's the most recent update regarding Dragon Quest. 3.3-7M of those copies are probably from Japan, if we wanna be realistic.

I was kind of curious how DQ XI was doing and you post this. Super well in Japan, not so much in the US.

Most interesting.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
What I'm gathering is that Bandana Dee has in recent times evolved to become Kirby's Luigi.

By transitive property, it follows that I must now support BWD for DeeLC.

_8D_--->

I've also seen Sakurai's controversial statements (the tweets, I mean, not the tape transcripts). Seems this puts BK's odds at odds, and may or may not enhance Rayman's prospects.

Hmm'st.

D

Deleted member

Y'all know what's the hardest part about this mid-cycle transition for Smash Ultimate now? I have Smash Ultimate downloaded on my Switch. Full game and everything. You wanna know what I get when I try and boot it up?

You cannot play this software yet. Would you like to view more detailed information on Nintendo eShop?

It hurts.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
There are two possibilities:
1.- NIntendo is going to add fan favorites to make noise and therefore make Smash sell more copies
2.- They're gonna add characters from future releases for self publicity

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
1.- NIntendo is going to add fan favorites to make noise and therefore make Smash sell more copies
2.- They're gonna add characters from future releases to increase said releases' sales
I'd like to think that it may be a bit of both, personally.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
2.- They're gonna add characters from future releases to increase said releases' sales
I'm sticking with my Machiavelli The Prince interpretation:
It is better to be promotional than recognizable, if you cannot be both.
They're going all in on number 2.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
It's quite sad Ashley got really shafted by the fanbase after that August direct for the same reason why Waluigi is somewhat looked down (Basically, the minority of her fans). Which is a shame because I really find Ashley to be an interesting unique addition as a cartoony witch w/ status effects, and as a good second rep. of Wario.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Pretty much my conclusions after looking at a few past videos regarding Smash. Mind you, he's still the most reliable leaker out there, more so than Liam Robertson and Emily Rogers, but there definitely is a difference between "hinting", "predicting" and "saying".

Speaking of Spawn -

Here's the most recent update regarding Dragon Quest. 3.3-7M of those copies are probably from Japan, if we wanna be realistic.

There’s a 3DS version?

Maybe I should get that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
And Cloud was not promoting any direct competitors software at the time he was released. His point isn't really relevant. RYU'S is.

KH3 on the Xbone is just even more against it. That's more money for more of Nintendo's competitors. No matter how friendly they are, they are still businesses and competitors.

I feel it's worth nothing SFV didn't release until 8 months after Ryu's appearance as DLC. That's a long time.

ANY third party character from Squenix will sell. They have their virtues.
The top 3 of Sora/Geno/DQ Rep would all sell very well individually. This is known.
Anyone who thinks Geno or a Dragon Quest representative would sell as well as or better than Sora is kidding themselves.
Let me restate it: Nintendo would not add any 3rd Party character for promotional purposes (with maybe the exception of Banjo & Kazooie for the rumored Nintendo 64 Classic). If a 3rd Party character gets in, it's because Nintendo thinks they will sell well and because they are important enough in gaming history to warrant a spot in this crossover.

All that said; here's what I'm thinkin' as far as DLC goes.

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Fire Emblem Three Houses character
3. Rex & Pyra
4. Sora
5. Banjo & Kazooie

And no. Mii Costumes and Spirits do not deconfirm characters.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You say that like she’d be a bad choice
She's bound to cause salt due to being:
-Another Fire Emblem character
-Not from a Nintendo console/handheld title and from a phone game
-Random OC over Lords like Lyn, Hector, Celica, etc.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's quite sad Ashley got really shafted by the fanbase after that August direct for the same reason why Waluigi is somewhat looked down (Basically, the minority of her fans). Which is a shame because I really find Ashley to be an interesting unique addition as a cartoony witch w/ status effects, and as a good second rep. of Wario.
A close up of my adorable leopard gecko, Bart. pNcib.jpg
You.

I like you.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Why the hell would Rex be a DLC Fighter if Sakurai made his MII costume as a DLC bonus while also mentioning that you can feel like you playing him. Might as well just state he's in development instead of misleading people into buying things.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wonder...if Nintendo picked the DLC character lineup, did they use the ballot to decide which ones to pick at all?

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Sora has a 50/50 shot of getting in as the rumored Square DLC character.

My faith on Sora has yet to disappear, though I kinda conflicted that there is a good chance Sora and Geno might not be in the same roster. I feel it is one or the other.
same

toonito

Smash Ace
upon reading Sakurai's tweet

my DLC speculation (not official picks):

Byleth (FE Houses): Since Melee a FE character (usually main character/avatar) from the most recent game has gotten into Smash. Although with Chrom in Ultimate this may be null. Also with Roy predating his game's release and Corrin predating his game's release in the West, FE is unique in that on two occasions a character debuted in Smash before it is fully available worldwide in its home game. That may be the case here.

Bandana Dee: solely cause of the amiibo quirk he and Daisy share.

Elma: was out before the project deadline and Rex was seemingly deconfirmed. If Nintendo is behind the choices she may be a possibility as Xenoblade is one of Nintendo's stronger franchises as of late.

Square Enix character: This is where Vergeben comes into play. When it comes to Ultimate he's been someone to at least take note of and he's been adamant of a SE rep for some time. For those lamenting about Geno despite Nintendo's choosing he may not be out of the running just yet.

Other candidates: Black Mage/Noctis, Sora, Dragon Quest Rep, Lara Croft, Chrono

Steve: Sakurai is a fan of the franchise, 2nd best selling video game of all time, and is probably the game that best represents Nintendo & Microsoft's olive branch as of late.

possible pick:

Rayman: Rabbid Peach is a spirit in Ultimate and Ubisoft has integrated 2 Nintendo franchises (Mario & Starfox) in 2 of their recent games to good success possibly continuing a working relationship.

NOTE: For playable characters it seems like Pokemon Sun/Moon is the cutoff (late 2016 debut, Incineroar playable) so if a game came out after that (ie. ARMS) chances are characters will not be playable. Fire Emblem is the only franchise that may circumvent this based on past occurrences.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Anyone who thinks Geno or a Dragon Quest representative would sell as well as or better than Sora is kidding themselves.
Let me restate it: Nintendo would not add any 3rd Party character for promotional purposes (with maybe the exception of Banjo & Kazooie for the rumored Nintendo 64 Classic). If a 3rd Party character gets in, it's because Nintendo thinks they will sell well and because they are important enough in gaming history to warrant a spot in this crossover.

All that said; here's what I'm thinkin' as far as DLC goes.

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Fire Emblem Three Houses character
3. Rex & Pyra
4. Sora
5. Banjo & Kazooie

And no. Mii Costumes and Spirits do not deconfirm characters.
And anyone who thinks Sora would benefit Nintendo more than Geno or a DQ rep is kidding themselves.

You keep saying Nintendo like Nintendo dictated Smash 4's DLC when as far as we know that was Sakurai. This is the second time we will ever get Smash DLC, and assumedly the first Nintendo will ever take charge of it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
My hope is sunk for Banjo

Which is a shame since I was the one pushing people to make a big Twitter push for the duo. With Nintendo running the shots, Minecraft is a lock...

NineS

Smash Lord
This is the Squenix fans in the thread right now:

But this is how it'll be in the end:

DQ on top.
I'd rather get 2B though.
where do I keep getting these oddly specific photos of Yoko Taro for these situations?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom