• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Alright, I hope I didn't miss anyone

When are characters asked for?? The developers just included him and we grew to love them, just like any other character...
And yea historically he may not be as important but presently he is just as important most definitley.
One grows fond of many charcaters in his/her favorite series. Doen't mean they need to be included. It's like me asking for my favorite robot masters.
Bandana Dee wields a spear and a parasol (weapons literally no other characters wield except Peach but that's her up special).
Ok, you have a better arguement with a parasol, that's unique. But wasn't it Kirby's?
He's been a prominent main character in the recent Kirby titles, arguably even more than MK. He's also the only Kirby character to ever get any real character development, starting out as a super ****ty DDD sidekick that eventually trained and got stronger to the point where he is able to fight by Kirby's side and not get carried. He also got his own song in which he sings about his ambitions of trying to get stronger than Kirby and how he doesn't want to be weak anymore. He's actually quite the endearing character that's definitely grown and has earned his spot in smash at this point.
There's definitely a back story to every gaming charcater. That however honestly didn't get me to understand what truely made him peak in demand. Is it beacuse Kirby fans think Sakurai will give him a slide cause that's his game? or are fans just want to complete a set of 4?
Well he appeared along side Kirby in Rainbow Curse and MK and Dedede were completley absent so I would say yes.
But wouldn't that be Kirby's?
He and Kirby both are the main heroes of Rainbow Curse and Battle Royal, with Bandana Dee having a speaking role in the later.
Speaking! That's new to me. Well did they share that victory? or was it actually Kirby's doing?
If you count Rainbow Curse as a main game, he was the one who protected Kirby and the paintbrush who's name I've forgotten in the intro and is the entire reason they are allowed to even continue the quest.
I consider that a main game. Hmm.. don't get me wrong, so that tells me he's in a Toad level in Mario world, right?

D

Deleted member

Speaking! That's new to me. Well did they share that victory? or was it actually Kirby's doing?
Yes. They both take down the end villain together in Rainbow Curse.

Last edited by a moderator:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Mario is Nintendo’s flagship character. Due to Mario being nintendo’s flagship character, they have multiple representatives. It is like Disney with Micky Mouse. You see Mickey Mouse have a bunch of charcters scattered across Disney while an under franchise that is still popular say sleeping beauty have like 2-3 charcters in Disney parks. To sum it up, if you are Nintendo’s flagship title and have a bunch of characters, you get multiple reps. If you are a popular Nintendo title, you get like 3-4 unique characters if you have a smaller cast pool of characters or you just get tons and tons of clones of some of the charcters.
Alright, I hope I didn't miss anyone

One grows fond of many charcaters in his/her favorite series. Doen't mean they need to be included. It's like me asking for my favorite robot masters.
Ok, you have a better arguement with a parasol, that's unique. But wasn't it Kirby's?
There's definitely a back story to every gaming charcater. That however honestly didn't get me to understand what truely made him peak in demand. Is it beacuse Kirby fans think Sakurai will give him a slide cause that's his game? or are fans just want to complete a set of 4?
But wouldn't that be Kirby's?

I consider that a main game. Hmm.. don't get me wrong, so that tells me he's in a Toad level in Mario world, right?
Guys, Just stop this bull**** for once. your arguments about mooks for smash is nothing but whining about piranha plant as playable mook in smash, it was more like "muh character should deserve the spot, that mother****ing plant didn't!"

get real for once, anything that sounds like impossible to do can happen possible thanks to Sakurai.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I was surprised to learn it wasn't her. When people suggested it was, I was convinced because of how similar this singer sounds to her.
I really don't feel that they sound that similar. They're both classically trained, so they sing similarly, but Strober has a higher voice, I feel like, and less powerful of a belt. I see some similarity, but I really didn't think it was her.

Now I just want to know who it is and see what her other works are.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really don't feel that they sound that similar. They're both classically trained, so they sing similarly, but Strober has a higher voice, I feel like, and less powerful of a belt. I see some similarity, but I really didn't think it was her.

Now I just want to know who it is and see what her other works are.
Some assume it's Christina Vee, but there's no way to know for sure until the game's credits roll.

D

Deleted member

Mario is Nintendo’s flagship character. Due to Mario being nintendo’s flagship character, they have multiple representatives. It is like Disney with Micky Mouse. You see Mickey Mouse have a bunch of charcters scattered across Disney while an under franchise that is still popular say sleeping beauty have like 2-3 charcters in Disney parks. To sum it up, if you are Nintendo’s flagship title and have a bunch of characters, you get multiple reps. If you are a popular Nintendo title, you get like 3-4 unique charac
Or, y'know...

Nintendo puts in who they want and these rules that fans come up with are nothing but headcanons used to put down characters people don't like.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman

1. I mean, in Robobot, using the Waddle Dee amiibo gives Kirby a custom Parasol with a Bandana Waddle Dee costume. So, technically it is but isn't because Kirby is never seen with that Parasol again but Dee is in Battle Royale.

2. The thing is about comparing BWD to Toad is that there are so many Toads but only one BWD. All Toads have the same or similar personalities like regular Waddle Dees but BWD, said in multiple games like Rainbow Curse and Star Allies, is basically meant to have the personality to break the stereotype. I think a better comparison would be Captain Toad if he was more prominent in Mario games or Luigi/Yoshi.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Mario is Nintendo’s flagship character. Due to Mario being nintendo’s flagship character, they have multiple representatives. It is like Disney with Micky Mouse. You see Mickey Mouse have a bunch of charcters scattered across Disney while an under franchise that is still popular say sleeping beauty have like 2-3 charcters in Disney parks. To sum it up, if you are Nintendo’s flagship title and have a bunch of characters, you get multiple reps. If you are a popular Nintendo title, you get like 3-4 unique characters if you have a smaller cast pool of characters or you just get tons and tons of clones of some of the charcters.
You didn't get my point. Replace Mario Bros with TLoZ and Mario with Link and the point still stands.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Damn, customs would have been a nice thing to buy from the store for every character. It does extend the longevity of unlocks the game would have. Maybe they are in, but are unconfirmed?

D

Deleted member

Kirby doesn’t have as many charcters as Fire Emblem does. Kirby doesn’t need a new rep. Heck Zelda doesn’t even have that many unique characters. Half of the Zelda charcters in smash are just Link clones. Like I told the Geno fans yesterday, pack it up for the next game.
> Kirby and Zelda doesn't have as many unique characters as Fire Emblem

This isn't even about who should get in Smash now, that's just factually wrong on every level.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’d like to think that Pirahna Plant is a one time thing that will never happen again. I don’t think this’ll open the doors to anymore generic mooks unless it’s someone like Toad who’s a bigger player in the franchise.

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
> Kirby and Zelda doesn't have as many unique characters as Fire Emblem

This isn't even about who should get in Smash now, that's just factually wrong on every level.
Poppy Bros Jr. with Bomberman echo /s

or is it /s... maybe not... he he he

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I hate how Smash speculation is treated like a competition that needs to be won, and that people have to put down other characters in order to prop up their own. Even in cases where you could make the argument that it's just one or the other (Incineroar and Decidueye), treating it like one just serves to turn the smash fanbase against itself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hate how Smash speculation is treated like a competition that needs to be one, and that people have to put down other characters in order to prop up their own. Even in cases where you could make the argument that it's just one or the other (Incineroar and Decidueye), treating it like one just serves to turn the smash fanbase against itself.
Speculation is ****ing stupid.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Comparing character numbers is bound to give weird results. Like, how does Mother having same amount of characters with Animal Crossing makes any sense?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I shouldn't Gloat sorry but i still find it funny how Sakurai tricked almost everybody and Deconfimied almost everybody and make the Grinch leak fake
Well, I can't imagine that he'd see the Grinch leak, and quickly rush all of those characters into the game, and change Incineroar to DLC after the trailer is made.
Sakurai just showed what he had to show, he didn't trick anybody, the Grinch did.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
So last night I dreamed I was watching a Nintendo direct and then showed off GARFIELD, of all Characters, was gonna be in Mario Kart 8 as dlc... And then showed geno as a Mario alt for Mario kart 8 and Smash. And then a skeleton popped out and said "****"

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Except he has so much more than a spear too! A parasol for example which can be used in many ways as well as sing numerous items from the games he has appeared in! Have you even played a modern Kirby game with Bandana Dee?
Yeah I just commented on that. Parsol is better than a spear, but I thought it's Kirby's. Sing items? that's new to me, ceratinly goes to his favor. Nope, but I might. That Kirby Switch game.
Bruh I played like, 1 and a half Kirby games, so I don't have that much attachment to the series. I just think that the characters fit well in the Smash formula and the characters have fan demand. Bandana Dee's not that "necessary", I and many others just think that he would work and be a popular addition.
No one can deny that he's well asked for. I'm trying to figure why or what can he bring to the table. Don't count on popularity, it may seem like a deciding factor but "mostly" it's not.
Yea he is awesome and so would Bandana Dee.
And you're more awesome than both :)
:luigi64:I absolutely agree.:jigglypuff64:

EDIT: Not adding extras won't get you new franchises. Smash For added both.
Thank you. Let's get extras, no problem at that. But what I mean instead of wasting high demand on a 4th rep, that could go to a one that represent a whole franchise. Example: all 3rd party reps. While as now you feel smash is turning into areas. Like the FE area, the Mario are, Pokemon area.. etc. But do you know where you find the uniques area? the whole representers.. 1st or 3rd. Ness, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Mr. G&W, C.Falcon.. etc. I hope I painted a clear picture here of what I'm trying to say.
Kirby is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and only has THREE characters compared to Fire Emblem for example, your point?
No, YOUR point? You think Sakurai did right with Fire Emblem inclusions? It was an obvious advertisement. Watch reaction videos about Chrom, many of those weren't pleased. Most would say "Ugh, another Fire Emblem charcater".
So every newcomer from an already represented franchise is a no-go to you?
No, I didn't say that.

D

Deleted member

Comparing character numbers is bound to give weird results. Like, how does Mother having same amount of characters with Animal Crossing makes any sense?
The Mother reboot was pretty successful to the point where I'd argue a 3rd character is warranted.

D

Deleted member

I hate how Smash speculation is treated like a competition that needs to be won, and that people have to put down other characters in order to prop up their own. Even in cases where you could make the argument that it's just one or the other (Incineroar and Decidueye), treating it like one just serves to turn the smash fanbase against itself.
This. So. Much. This.

Just let people like what they like and you like what you like. That way, everyone's happy!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So last night I dreamed I was watching a Nintendo direct and then showed off GARFIELD, of all Characters, was gonna be in Mario Kart 8 as dlc... And then showed geno as a Mario alt for Mario kart 8 and Smash. And then a skeleton popped out and said "****"
Finally, Garfield Kart is getting acknowledged

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Starting to see people wanting equal representation for the three third party companies.

Ah...no that isn't how it works. It depends on how open they are to sharing content and on Sakurai's personal desires. It seems like Namco aren't pushing him and the only character from them that we know Sakurai once considered was Heihaichi and that was on his own volition.

If Capcom or Konami have characters Sakurai wants, then they'll be the ones selected. Especially considering how cool Capcom have been towards Smash. Mega Man and Ken both got their asses handed to them in trailers (Ken in his own introduction trailer even), bucket load of music tracks, and lax costume palette swaps. They must be the dream third party for Sakurai.

Last edited:

Eru13

Smash Apprentice
I’d like to think that Pirahna Plant is a one time thing that will never happen again. I don’t think this’ll open the doors to anymore generic mooks unless it’s someone like Toad who’s a bigger player in the franchise.
lol keep on dreaming

I know I now want a Boo and a Shy Guy in smash just because they're fun and to watch the world burn xD

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
The thing is we've never accepted that BWD was a generic mook and that Piranha Plant would be opening the door to him. I feel like a better argument would be that if a generic mook is a playable character, a character BASED on a generic mook should be fine.

Although once Slime from DQ becomes DLC the argument is dead for sure.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Mother reboot was pretty successful to the point where I'd argue a 3rd character is warranted.
If that soulless cheap cash-grab warrants another character, just add one more Mii while you're at it.

D

Deleted member

If that soulless cheap cash-grab warrants another character, just add one more Mii while you're at it.
That sounds fair. I'm just hoping that the newly announced Mother 5 gets some form of representation through DLC.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
>Kirby and Zelda doesn't have as many unique characters as Fire Emblem

Isn't that actually true though?

Fire Emblem has 4 unique characters, a semi-clone, and 2 echoes.
Kirby has 3 unique characters.
Zelda has 3 unique characters and 3 semi-clones.
So FE does have more.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That seems fair to me. Besides, I think PP is a loophole to get Petey Piranha back in some fashion anyways. Otherwise, people like Goombario and Goombella would have an easier time getting in (though with Tanabe being a control freak with Paper Mario, it won't happen regardless).

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Speculation is ****ing stupid.
I think speculation is totally fine. It's completely optional and fun to people. It's the pointless bickering that evolves from it. Like nobody can change the roster in any way and the characters we have are solidified in Smash history for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom