• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
The Slime Controller exists.

In fact I'm pretty sure there's more than one version (since this is a PS4 version and I'm fairly sure I've seen a PS3 one).
There is a PS2 and a PS4 version. The PS2 version is bluer than this ps4 version and there is also a metal slime version for the PS2 :bluejump:

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
ANALISIS:

Did you know? Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Super Smash Brothers,
created a Virtual Pet game in 2005! Sodatete! MushiKing, as Sakurai's game is called,
is a virtual-pet game like Bandai's Tamagotchi toys.
You can see one here: https://japanyouwant.com/product/new-sodatete-mushi-king-nokogiri-kuwagata-4-sega-japan

If you guys don't know, Digimon started as a Tamagotchi as well, in 1997.
In fact Digimon was the first Virtual pet to have battles, and the first one made for Boys.

And in fact the Digimon Tamagotchis are selling realy well right now in Japan.
We have a new set of Digimon Tamagotchis to launch in March of 2019.

And is funny how Pokémon right now want to make a Crossover with Tamagotchi.
Becouse not only the Tamagotchis are the "House of Digimon"
But the Tamagotchis are Vídeo Games/Toys made by Namco Bandai!
As Digimon games and Virtual pets are all property of Namco Bandai.

And as we know, Namco Bandai is working realy hard together with Nintendo.
They made Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate. As well as Pokkén and now this Tamagotchi.
It's hard not to link Pokémon and Digimon with all this information put together.
You can see that the Eevee Tamagotchi is based on the Normal ones:

And what if this was a Trade?
What if Namco Bandai trade all this with Nintendo.
To put a Digimon representative in Smash? Just like they did with Pac-man.
I don't know if you guys know but,
Digimon is the Thrid Biggest Namco Bandai franchise,
losing only to Pac-man ( Already in Smash ) and the Tamagotchis ( And Digimon is part of that )

So maybe this "Eevee Tamagotchi" deal is a Golden Ticket for Agumon in Smash.
But... Thats just my opinion.
I used to think, years ago, that Digimon had no chance in Smash because, "Uh... it's just a Pokémon anime", and then I did some research last year and realized that since Digimon started as a videogame that it has just as fair of a chance as any other. Plus, it's very popular world-wide, still has games coming out to this day (I've bought the last three Digimon games on the PS4), and a lot of 90s kids would see it as a Pikachu vs. Agumon rivalry, kinda like what Mario and Sonic were back then.

D

Deleted member

Just think about this:

Somewhere on this planet, there’s a person who buys DLC, but not the games needed to use them...

Or maybe not, but the chance exists.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm unsure if I'll purchase it just yet. I'm not really comfortable buying something when I won't even know what it is or if I'll like it.

Also, are we really arguing about what series and characters are and are not popular again? You guys realize all of these franchises are popular in their own right and each have their followings, right? I see no need to argue about which fan base is biggest.
Of course every series is popular, but I think objectively speaking it's safe to say that some series are more well known by the general public (and therefore more popular) than other series.

D

Deleted member

Luigi is popular, and a big number of people know him for his name.

I can confirm this from my personal experience.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I swear to god that a lot of casual people with my age know the names of every Mario character from the Mario Kart or Party titles.

Yes, they even recognize the attitude and voice of both Wario, Waluigi and Daisy.

No one who i have talked to in my life has called Luigi “Green Mario” either.
Everyone seems to know Waluigi. I think he's even more popular than Wario and Daisy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:ultdoc: needs to give his patients "treatment" for Classic mode.

:ultsonic: has ADHD.
:ultness::ultlucas: have schizophrenia.
and :ultyoshi: just didn't pay his medical bills so he'll pay with his life.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Everyone seems to know Waluigi. I think he's even more popular than Wario and Daisy.
I think he's about on even terms with Daisy, but I dunno if I'd say he's more popular than Wario. I think Wario is just as well known as Luigi

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Lol, I haven't logged in for a day and missed this. In case anyone doesn't know, :ultlucas:and:ultness: final smash in 4 was basically Lucario's Brawl FS, being an controllable beam of stars, and Ultimate's is an uncontrollable, screen wide wave of stars like in Brawl.
That's right! See, this is what happens when your crew refuses to ever play Smash any other way besides 1 v 1 Omega no items all the damn time. That's why I'm sooooo finding new people to play with.

You know it wasn't until around a month ago I learned R.O.B.'s FS in 4 was not the same as Brawl? Thank god I'm playing multiple different ways in Ultimate. You know, actually play on real stages, use items sometimes...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That's right! See, this is what happens when your crew refuses to ever play Smash any other way besides 1 v 1 Omega no items all the damn time. That's why I'm sooooo finding new people to play with.

You know it wasn't until around a month ago I learned R.O.B.'s FS in 4 was not the same as Brawl? Thank god I'm playing multiple different ways in Ultimate. You know, actually play on real stages, use items sometimes...
I wonder how many people on here are competitive-only players, probably not very many

D

Deleted member

Of course every series is popular, but I think objectively speaking it's safe to say that some series are more well known by the general public (and therefore more popular) than other series.
Oh I agree, it's just not something I feel needs debating personally. To each their own, though, not trying to tell others what to do. :)

Also, as someone who's gonna main Piranha Plant, I'm happy to see the reception to him has been surprisingly super positive on both here and other communities I frequent. I'm honestly surprised he's the highest ranking thing on the thread poll right now, lol. I was expecting a waaaay harsher reaction, but the community has pleasantly surprised me.

D

Deleted member

I will never forget the day when Marvel announced that Falcon became Captain America for a time, and the spanish news site where i got informed about it basically reacted with Captain Falcon references.

And it was a comic book website (a good one at that, personally).

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
The Mario characters have entered the cultural zeitgeist in a way few video game characters do. Despite originating in Japan, they're as much a part of US culture as Homer Simpson and Spider-Man. Imagine showing your brothers, sisters, cousins, even your parents and grandparents a picture of Luigi, and I guarantee that most of them will recognize him. The vast majority of non-gamers (in first-world countries, anyway) will have no problem telling you who Mario or "King Koopa" (Bowser) are.

I'd say the top five most recognizable Nintendo characters would be:

5. :ultbowser:
4. :ultdk:
3. :ultpikachu:
2. :ultluigi:
1. :ultmario:

Mario is obvious, and Luigi is bundled in with him frequently (I still see Mario & Luigi costumes every Halloween). Pikachu is the headliner of Pokemon, which is still wildly popular. DK gets recognition for lasting popularity as well as a hit arcade game. Bowser is more distinctive-looking than Peach, so I put him above her. Peach and Link both got close, but I think they both suffer from people not really knowing their names at times, which I'd say counts against their recognizability. ("The Princess" and "Zelda")

If we're including third-parties, I'd replace DK with Pac-Man and Bowser with Sonic.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Oh I agree, it's just not something I feel needs debating personally. To each their own, though, not trying to tell others what to do. :)

Also, as someone who's gonna main Piranha Plant, I'm happy to see the reception to him has been surprisingly super positive on both here and other communities I frequent. I'm honestly surprised he's the highest ranking thing on the thread poll right now, lol. I was expecting a waaaay harsher reaction, but the community has pleasantly surprised me.
Yeah I was too, especially with everyone wanting their Banjos and Genos and what not. But I'm glad most people are happy with the idea of fighting as PP :)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Now I'm even more confounded.
Sorry for the late reply (I was... indisposed).
As Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth said, Digimon is unlike Pokémon in that Pokémon focus on set evolutionary lines (a Pichu will always evolve into a Pikachu which will always evolve into a Raichu), while Digimon plays fast and loose with it's evolutionary lines. Also, they consider recolours of Digimon as separate Digimon, often with different names and/or typings.

Worth noting also is that a Pokémon's evolution is always permanent, while a Digimon's evolution is usually not (it is in the original v-pets, though)

Agumon, across all Digimon media, has been able to evolve into more than 30 different types of Digimon (you're never given that many options though, the most you can get in a single game is about 7).

In the anime, however, a Digimon who is partnered with a Digimon Tamer will always evolve into a specific Digimon (for simplicity and marketing purposes):

In Digimon Adventure (S1): Agumon evolves into Greymon, then MetalGreymon, then WarGreymon; however, Greymon is also shown to evolve into SkullGreymon when the main character tries to force Greymon to evolve prematurely.
In Digimon Savers (S5): a different Agumon evolves into GeoGreymon, then RizeGreymon, then ShineGreymon.
In other media: Agumon has been able to evolve into Centarumon (not a Dinosaur), Leomon (not a Dinosaur), Veedramon and many others.

In Digimon Tamers (S3) Renamon evolves into Kyubimon, then Taomon, then Sakuyamon.
Renamon can also evolve into Youkomon, then Doumon, then Kuzuhamon (all variations of the "canon" evolutions); also, Renamon can evolve into Woodmon, a tree-stump, and... lots of others. The Miko modes are literally just alternate forms for Sakuyamon and Kuzuhamon.

The in-canon reason for Digimon having specific evolution lines in the Anime is because Digimon are soul-linked to their tamers, and reflect that person's personality. When Tai, the Season 1 protagonist who's strongest trait is his courage, began putting himself in danger deliberately in order to force Agumon to evolve, that's when things went wrong and Greymon evolved into SkullGreymon.
I name dropped the X-Antibody, which was a part of one of the Digimon movies from way back (like early-mid 2000s way back). It's the X-"Antibody" because it was a natural defense against the god of the Digital World's plot to... wipe out most of all Digimon or something...

The idea never caught on and was quickly scrapped, but lives on in almost all Digimon created during or after the fact. It's basically a footnote in Digimon history. X forms of Digimon never appear in the games, ever.
Something I find kind of funny about Digimon is where they can be introduced, Pokémon will almost always be introduced in the games (with rare introductions in the anime). While Digimon can be introduced literally anywhere as long as it's licensed and produced by Bandai Namco (V-Pets, Anime, Manga, Games, Movies, all fair game).

One of the funniest to me is BeelStarmon (the female counterpart to the very popular Beelzemon), who was created by Watanabe Kenji (Digimon's chief character designer) and posted on his Twitter for Digimon's 15th Anniversary, fans liked the character so much Bandai Namco decided to make her an official Digimon (though she has yet to appear in an official capacity outside of the Card Game and V-Pets).

Well, I've rambled on long enough, and probably made people even more confused.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry for the late reply (I was... indisposed).
As Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth said, Digimon is unlike Pokémon in that Pokémon focus on set evolutionary lines (a Pichu will always evolve into a Pikachu which will always evolve into a Raichu), while Digimon plays fast and loose with it's evolutionary lines. Also, they consider recolours of Digimon as separate Digimon, often with different names and/or typings.

Worth noting also is that a Pokémon's evolution is always permanent, while a Digimon's evolution is usually not (it is in the original v-pets, though)

Agumon, across all Digimon media, has been able to evolve into more than 30 different types of Digimon (you're never given that many options though, the most you can get in a single game is about 7).

In the anime, however, a Digimon who is partnered with a Digimon Tamer will always evolve into a specific Digimon (for simplicity and marketing purposes):

In Digimon Adventure (S1): Agumon evolves into Greymon, then MetalGreymon, then WarGreymon; however, Greymon is also shown to evolve into SkullGreymon when the main character tries to force Greymon to evolve prematurely.
In Digimon Savers (S5): a different Agumon evolves into GeoGreymon, then RizeGreymon, then ShineGreymon.
In other media: Agumon has been able to evolve into Centarumon (not a Dinosaur), Leomon (not a Dinosaur), Veedramon and many others.

In Digimon Tamers (S3) Renamon evolves into Kyubimon, then Taomon, then Sakuyamon.
Renamon can also evolve into Youkomon, then Doumon, then Kuzuhamon (all variations of the "canon" evolutions); also, Renamon can evolve into Woodmon, a tree-stump, and... lots of others. The Miko modes are literally just alternate forms for Sakuyamon and Kuzuhamon.

The in-canon reason for Digimon having specific evolution lines in the Anime is because Digimon are soul-linked to their tamers, and reflect that person's personality. When Tai, the Season 1 protagonist who's strongest trait is his courage, began putting himself in danger deliberately in order to force Agumon to evolve, that's when things went wrong and Greymon evolved into SkullGreymon.
I name dropped the X-Antibody, which was a part of one of the Digimon movies from way back (like early-mid 2000s way back). It's the X-"Antibody" because it was a natural defense against the god of the Digital World's plot to... wipe out most of all Digimon or something...

The idea never caught on and was quickly scrapped, but lives on in almost all Digimon created during or after the fact. It's basically a footnote in Digimon history. X forms of Digimon never appear in the games, ever.
Something I find kind of funny about Digimon is where they can be introduced, Pokémon will almost always be introduced in the games (with rare introductions in the anime). While Digimon can be introduced literally anywhere as long as it's licensed and produced by Bandai Namco (V-Pets, Anime, Manga, Games, Movies).

One of the funniest to me is BeelStarmon (the female counterpart to the very popular Beelzemon), who was created by Watanabe Kenji (Digimon's chief character designer) and posted on his Twitter for Digimon's 15th Anniversary, fans liked the character so much Bandai Namco decided to make her an official Digimon (though she has yet to appear in an official capacity outside of the Card Game and V-Pets).

Well, I've rambled on long enough, and probably made people even more confused.
Eh, it's fine. I'm really only remotely interested in Digimon because of Renamon so... heh heh.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, as far as personal interactions go, more casual crowds seem to be able to picture the purple lanky man in their head, but need to be reminded who the fat, strong guy is. Once when I had said Wario's my favourite, someone starting describing how they also liked him, but was describing Waluigi.
Maybe Wario's name is more popular, but from my experience, it seems that for some reason Waluigi is more well known. I'd imagine that many people who actually play a lot of games like Mario Party and Smash Bros. would recognize Wario before they'd recognize Waluigi, but people who don't play games that much seem to know Waluigi better.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I noticed the roster as it is now requires 2 more spots to be a full rectangle. I wonder if that's for Piranha Plant + one more char Sakurai is holding back. He can be quite the troll. Maybe on release day he'll totally surprise us and drop the final non-DLC char...
I had to visualize this. Opened up MS Paint and it turns out that actually, two would be required.
1541520134122.png

I'd like to hope that's still possible though. One more big "woah" character like Travis Touchdown or Rayman, and Geno. That'd be great! Perfect final day reveal.
Won't happen though.

(EDIT: Fixed picture, so that it would show, and structured everything better.)

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I'd say they 8 characters from Mario 64 :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultpeach::ultdk::yeahboi:(just pretend that last one is Toad) are all almost universally recognized. They get on 99% of Mario merch (which is in it of itself 80% of all Nintendo merch), including shirts and Halloween costumes, and people logically wouldnt buy merchandise of characters they don't know.
:ultlink::ultpacman::ultsonic::ultpikachu: are also on this "untouchable level", and the only character that is on this level thats missing from Smash would be the dark lord Minecraft Steve.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I wonder how many people on here are competitive-only players, probably not very many
I am but after playing Melee, Brawl, and 4 the same one way, something has to change (Ive been playing SSB with the same faces since Melee obviously).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I like Isabelles brother more
Why though?

Don't get me wrong Digby is nice but....he's....bland? There's not vivid personality there IMO. There's a lot of character in her to the point I was sad that they didn't put as much effort into him.

Even with his increased role in that Happy Home spin-off.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hmm, as far as personal interactions go, more casual crowds seem to be able to picture the purple lanky man in their head, but need to be reminded who the fat, strong guy is. Once when I had said Wario's my favourite, someone starting describing how they also liked him, but was describing Waluigi.
Maybe Wario's name is more popular, but from my experience, it seems that for some reason Waluigi is more well known. I'd imagine that many people who actually play a lot of games like Mario Party and Smash Bros. would recognize Wario before they'd recognize Waluigi, but people who don't play games that much seem to know Waluigi better.
Waluigi has modern internet memes, but Wario has a far bigger history with Nintendo. Not only does he appear in practically every game Waluigi is in, but he also has his own games to further distinguish himself from his purple companion.

If Waluigi were to get in Smash, I can almost guarantee you that his meme status would slowly fade away. When that happens, I think he'll become a normal Mario spin-off character again - one who people would only recognize if they played Mario Kart.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I am but after playing Melee, Brawl, and 4 the same one way, something has to change (Ive been playing SSB with the same faces since Melee obviously).
Yeah, Omega, no items, 3 stock (or two stock or whatever it is) gets old after a while

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi has modern internet memes, but Wario has a far bigger history with Nintendo. Not only does he appear in practically every game Waluigi is in, but he also has his own games to further distinguish himself from his purple companion.

If Waluigi were to get in Smash, I can almost guarantee you that his meme status would slowly fade away. When that happens, I think he'll become a normal Mario spin-off character again - one who people would only recognize if they played Mario Kart.
Probably the one good thing of Waluigi getting in Smash, hahaha.
Wario definitely deserves to be more popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom