• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Rex and Pyra have some of the ugliest character designs I've seen for protagonists of any major game in recent years.

I imagine their appeal within the game is in their personalities or something. What do they bring to the table?
Honestly, after playing the game...
I myself still can't answer that question.

Rex is a really loud optimist, Pyra is a gentle soul, and Mythra's super sassy, and I can't really say much more.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Square has by far the most reps to justify two additions.

Geno, Sora, Sephiroth, Noctis, Chrono, Bub and Bob, Actraiser, Slime, Jade, Erdrick and Lara Croft would all be reasonable DLC choices IMO.
Yeah, they literally could do a season pass off of Square Enix alone lol

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Stoopid tinfoil hat theory:

I find it interesting that Smash/SE may announce a DLC character so far in advance before they release (even before PP comes out). Mewtwo was the only character to do this previously, and he came out ~4-5 months after being announced.

Anyway, my stoopid theory is that Square Enix is actually getting 2 DLC characters. Yes....2 of the 5 slots. Square is the only 3rd party, save for Bamco, with 1 character. We know that multiple DLC characters have been available at once before. Mewtwo and Cloud were alone, but Lucas, Roy and Ryu were all released the same day in June, while Corrin and Bayonetta were released the following year in February.

I think the fact that Vergeben is hearing tons of names is not only because they are trying to throw off the scent of who the character is, but WHOM they are, because spitting out a bunch of names makes it that much harder to pinpoint both of them.

Now....back to my Mewtwo statement. He was announced 5ish months before release. This is where is gets especially dumb, but here we go: The SE characters get announced December 6th 2018, with a release for both together in March the following year (a month or so after Piranha Plant).

Guess which games came out around that time? That's right ladies and gents: Chrono Trigger and SMRPG, literally March 11th 1995 and March 9th 1996, respectively.

Square is going to do a double reveal of Chrono and Geno:] That way Sakurai gets what he wants and SE gets more classic exposure.

...or it's just going to be Sora or some other more modern SE character.

Just let me have my fun please.
You had me at Chrono.

And I know "blah blah, retro RPGs irrelevent nostalgia glasses" but shut up, Chrono Trigger is actually that good.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Here's ZeRo's current tier list. He's still ranking from best to worst so this is subject to change in literally a few minutes

D

Deleted member

Rex and Pyra have some of the ugliest character designs I've seen for protagonists of any major game in recent years.

I imagine their appeal within the game is in their personalities or something. What do they bring to the table?
cool moveset potential and being the most iconic choice for an XC2 rep

also pyra is a lot of people's *shudders* waifu so people really want her -_-

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
But they actually 'have' started, right?

I can't imagine that, if this VGA rumor is right, that they haven't started the paid DLC.
They absolutely have. It's exceedingly rare for DLC to not be in active development alongside the base game's last few months, when most of the content is already finished and it's just general bugtesting. Most developers still lie about this because there is still such a loud group of people who hate the idea that content is produced for the game but sold separately.

But even if we assume DLC was planned out at the same time as the base roster, it would not be in active development until recently. Essentially, for the entire development cycle of the main game, DLC is a list a just of names on a sheet of paper, and changing it is much, much simpler than changing who would appear in the base roster. It would be fairly easy for a DLC list to be in flux until right before it goes into active production.

There are other factors that could result in an initial 2015 DLC list getting locked down, though. Piranha Plant's amiibo is releasing before many of the base roster characters, so even though he is post-release DLC, it's clear he was set in stone a long time ago. And if any or even all of the DLC is third party characters, those contracts are already signed and there's very little that would stop those characters from getting in.

My personal opinion is that I do not think Rex is disconfirmed because of the timeline or even because of his Mii costume, but I do agree with the general consensus that he still won't be DLC, because all the DLC will be third parties.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's ZeRo's current tier list. He's still ranking from best to worst so this is subject to change in literally a few minutes

For example in a rank, is it ordered? ( Ex: Pika: 1, Olimar: 2, etc. )

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Honestly, after playing the game...
I myself still can't answer that question.

Rex is a really loud optimist, Pyra is a gentle soul, and Mythra's super sassy.
So in other words, they're just tropey anime characters with no outstanding qualities. That's about what I would expect.

cool moveset potential and being the most iconic choice for an XC2 rep

also pyra is a lot of people's *shudders* waifu so people really want her -_-
It always comes down to waifus, doesn't it?

>sees three out of my top four characters at the bottom

Well... damn.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My personal opinion is that I do not think Rex is disconfirmed because of the timeline or even because of his Mii costume, but I do agree with the general consensus that he still won't be DLC, because all the DLC will be third parties.
>Citation Needed

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Almost all of the characters I'm hopeful for ZeRo hasn't bothered with, or rates as mediocre or lower. End me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, but the whole thing isn't done yet. It almost is, so I'll post the final thing in a few minutes.
Thanks, remember to tag me when it is done.
>Citation Needed
I do not think citation is needed, it is a general theory among us.

Not copying, rather a theory. For example, if you got your source from a wikipedia, you would need a source.

One person did not start the theory itself, rather multiple people did.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Pichu looking good.

I like this timeline.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes, but the whole thing isn't done yet. It almost is, so I'll post the final thing in a few minutes.
Plus, keep in mind, this isn't a solid tier list, but initial thoughts and impressions based on very limited gameplay and no labbing.

As Chrom (who is right now sitting at bottom tier) would say, "Anything can change!"

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Never pick my characters based on tier placement but after seeing a lot of people place KKR at mid tier, it's interesting seeing him rounding out the high tiers according to Zero. Two of my characters I want to try are high tier (Simon, KKR), one is "looks good" tier (Wolf), Wario seems mid tier "decent" as per usual...huh.

Pre release tier lists usually get changed around a ton but it is interesting nonetheless.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

-Zelda is better than Sheik
-Ike is 6th
-Shulk is top tier
-Jigglypuff actually looks decent
-Chrom is on the bottom, while his echo is on top.
-My most wanted newcomer is on the bottom
-My Smash 4 main is DEAD LAST
-Pichu actually looks good

WTF?!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Zelda actually being good for once would be enough to make her pick her up, especially with the great redesign she has.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Very true. Of course, the difference is that he originated on an... arcade?
Pretty much, yeah. Granted, we never had much, if any arcade-debuted characters in here beyond him, but that's besides the point.

Thank goodness the princesses, cosmos mother and doggy secretary are safe, as are Wario, Incineroar and the Icies.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I only see Square, Rare/Microsoft and Bandai Namco being the 3rd parties for DLC, and the rest be 1st party, which leaves us with an equal number of 3 first parties and 3 third parties, for DLC characters.

Smash 4's DLC was 4 Nintendo characters and 3 third parties, which was at a good even balance, to say the least. I can easily see this being the same with the amount of character requests that are left.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't look too drastically different from the previous game...
On the lower end, maybe, but Ganondorf being a "looks good" and guys like Shulk, Roy, Ike, Zelda, and K. Rool being "promising" is already a step forward.

But then again, it's ZeRo, and we're going off of very limited gameplay here. For all we know, Lucas is crazy good.

he probably won't be

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Honestly, I only see Square, Rare/Microsoft and Bandai Namco being the 3rd parties for DLC, and the rest be 1st party, which leaves us with an equal number of 3 first parties and 3 third parties, for DLC characters.

Smash 4's DLC was 4 Nintendo characters and 3 third parties, which was at a good even balance, to say the least. I can easily see this being the same with the amount of character requests that are left.
I mean.

Can you tell me 2 Nintendo characters who could, from what I see, classify above even K. Rool enough to be premium DLC players must go out of their way to get.

D

Deleted member

On the lower end, maybe, but Ganondorf being a "looks good" and guys like Shulk, Roy, Ike, Zelda, and K. Rool being "promising" is already a step forward.

But then again, it's ZeRo, and we're going off of very limited gameplay here. For all we know, Lucas is crazy good.

he probably won't be
For all we know, Pichu is SS tier broken. /s
No, this is Patrick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can't believe there's such a disaprity between Roy and Chrom, an echo.
By far the biggest gap in terms of viability between echoes.

Also can't believe Lucina is edging out Marth right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom